New German Route - Let's Speculate!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by matinakbary, Apr 6, 2022.

1. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I mean it's a good point, i'd love to see both sides, but how many years should they develop this route? :D

2. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

I certainly remember when Cologne - Frankfurt was released for MSTS I was about as excited as I've ever been by a software release. It had both sides too, and I got years out of making activities for it, even if it was a bit shonky even by the standards of late MSTS routes. To have that with the immersive feel of TSW would be a dream but it's clearly likely to come in smaller installments.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

To be fair, they’ve spent the last 5 years developing routes in the same couple of regions, that are only connected in theory.

If they’re going to do that, they might aswell do a release 1 large route over time model.

4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

English please!

5. OldVern

Yes that was the old Protrain route I think. Apart from the Zusi 2 effort (which was actually very good) it was the first opportunity to drive the Valley with a proper cab view.

6. patrick60491

patrick60491 New Member

Lch I think if it should be tsw3 at least 1 new ICE and a new regional train will be there, since it came out as TSW2 also completely new vehicles were there and at rush hour last year, at least on the German route no new vehicle was there. And about 2 years ago there was also a picture where an ICE1 or 2 was on a picture in the background.

• Like Like x 1
  7. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

I purchased that route too.
    I have the CD somewhere...
    It was incredible by that time!.
    Later I had even improved ground and train textures, getting it more modern.
    I made lot of activities there too.

Hopes the TSW Scenario Planner, will be so powerful and easy to work with, like the MSTS activity editor was.

I had the chance to visit Germany in 2002, and make a ship ride on the Rhine river valley.
    It was incredible for me to see the ICE and IC trains on one shore of the river, and the slower regional and freights on the other.
    Fortunately the ship speed was low, so I saw lot of trains!

I wish that route be available on TSW2!.
    But it is too long for the current standard of the game, so will be difficult.

At least it will be great if we could have Koblenz to Koln route at least!
    It is 79 kms, - so ok for the current sim standards-, but also they have already developed Koln station and sourrandings!.

What do you think?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  8. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

Or could be Mainz to Koblenz - 61 km long -. being more over the picturesque Rhine river valley.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

What would your cover art be then. That will mean the Lorelei Rock with DB BR120 Intercity cab Car or DB BR182 Sleeper Carriages 23:46 Kolblenz 00:56 Mainz Trip.

10. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Well in theory it might not have to be that difficult, apart from termini there are almost no large stations, and the routes are just a river apart, so even when making only one of them, you'd still have to create scenery and at least a rough look on the other one. Plus imagine being able to use a ferry to get between the two in some areas :D

• Like Like x 3
  11. cadeshr6s

cadeshr6s Well-Known Member

I would buy any german route but if it is a route at the rhine like Köln Koblenz with an ICE 1 a dream would come true for me in tsw

• Like Like x 2
  12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

To get even one side right would mean creating a LOT of bespoke building assets

• Like Like x 2
  13. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

Yes, the international express with BR103 and heavy trucks BR140 in freight traffic is my distant dream.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Many of them have already been made for the TS version I think. And we've seen buildings ported over to TSW, e.g. the Cologne dome

15. matinakbary

But then I'd think: Laying both sides of track would mean some cuts on other ends. Like no new loco, only a rather short distance, no detailed scenery as in DRA or DCZ. And personally, I'd rather have a new loco.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yeah I’d rather see a new loco too, although if I’m being honest I wouldn’t mind having the usual DLC drop alongside a loco DLC, but either way I’m probably not going to be interested in yet another 146/143+dosto, Talent or 42x emu line up.

• Like Like x 2
  17. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Tsw 3 kommt sowieso mit neuem Rollmaterial + das bisherige auf den neusten stand gebracht. Währe wohl ein schlechter witz wenn wir wieder bei den leeren Bahnhöfen landen.

English:
    Tsw comes for sure with new rolling stock + upgraded versions of current vehicles. Would be a bad joke if the franchais goes back to the empty train station era.

18. cadeshr6s

cadeshr6s Well-Known Member

Yes thats true and maybe TSG ist waiting for tsw 3 To Release the br420. So maybe they will add "tsw 3" Features into it

19. OldVern

I was wondering the other day that TSG have gone very quiet.

Maybe they are doing a TSW version of their Konstanz to Villingen route which gets rave reviews for TSW and currently on my shortlist to buy (with the bundled extension to Hausach).

20. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

If I had to guess, I’d put my money on TSG being busy with whatever new loco will come with the German route on the roadmap.

21. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

That will not going to happen. Sorry to destroy your hopes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  22. OldVern

It was a whimsical comment Maik. However I’m looking forward to running the TSC version, when my wife hands me the Steam vouchers for my birthday tomorrow!

23. matinakbary

But maybe that's just because there isn't that much to show right now. It would only cause some more speculation, more people asking when it's finished and more stress. There is no shame in trying to avoid that. I really am so thrilled about the 420, but well, patience is a virtue :D

24. driverwoods#1787

How about TSG making a German route that sees DR B242 DR Baureihe 211 15kv 16.7hz AC version of DR BR251 25kv 50hz Rübelandbahn seen on TSC. One route that DR BR242 211 can work on is GDR Era Chemnitz (Karl Marx Stadt) Reichenbach 70 km 45 mi or 121 km Berlin Elsterwerda. Yard Shunter DR V60 for both routes

25. johannesk

johannesk Active Member

A "problem" with older routes is that i think it is unlikely that we will get more than one new train. The last german add-on with more new trains was released quite a time ago so i would be surprised if this will change. If the route will be set after 1990 it would be possible to use the BR 143 as a second loco (and maybe also the 155), but before the reunification the rolling stock was completly different compared to today, especially in western Germany. As a consequence the route would be emptier and more boring.
    Of course it would be possible to get more loco-dlc as well as more older routes in the future, but for the time of the release of this first route it would feel boring.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  26. Noel06

Noel06 Well-Known Member

Can someone send me an invite for discord?

27. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Unlikely, Mainz is very close to Frankfurt, did DTG make this to hurt players? Koblenz to Frankfurt is reasonable.

28. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Frankfurt is a massive station to model and personally I'd rather see the time spent more productively on a shorter route just to Mainz then have yet another gigantic terminal station resembling the zombie apocalypse.

• Like Like x 1
  29. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Now is the right time to do this. For example, DTG plans to do a route from Cologne to Frankfurt in the future, which can make use of existing resources.

30. Wieczorek

Wieczorek Active Member

Koblenz to Frankfurt is 129 km long.Too long for DTG .

• Like Like x 1
  31. redrev1917

Where do you get that info from? Its like 200km between Frankfurt & Cologne, thats virtually twice the next longest. Do you have a source for this as I would be very interested

32. matinakbary

I think it was rather a hypothetical "let's just say for arguments' sake..." and not a "Look, they're doing that". But kinda misleading, yes. I think his point was, that although the route is so long, already existing assets could be reused. Which is, what has always been done to some extrent. But: You can't just do that for the stations along the routes. These assets normally take a lot of ressources. And if you go all the way from Cologne to Frankfurt, the amount of unique assets that need to be built is insanely big.

So that's never gonna happen. At least not in one go. The only way would be to have the routes split in feasible parts (Cologne-Koblenz, Koblenz-Mainz, Mainz-Frankfurt).

• Like Like x 1
  33. redrev1917

The high-speed line might be less intensive asset wise, but given the choice between running down the Rhine gorge between Koblenz and Mainz or another LGV style route between Cologne and Frankfurt I know which one would peak my interest more and open my wallet.

And my point remains we don't need another Munich, Glasgow central, NY Penn etc etc ghost town.

• Like Like x 4
  34. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I really don’t get why we see routes like Glasgow/Munich/NY.

So much effort goes into creating these hugely busy areas, just for them to be empty. It’s such an extreme that they’re on the very edge of what is possible, but they aren’t utilised so what’s the point?

Fair enough if they plan for loco DLC that can fill out the emptiness, but HMA is a ghost town where ridiculous amounts of work went into Munich, plus the S-Bahn Timetable. The issue is though that it’s still barren because of the sheer amount of tracks, and the S-Bahn is barely a drop in the bucket in terms of traffic, all that effort could go into smaller projects that end up with a much higher quality & experience.

• Like Like x 5
  35. matinakbary

But since then TSW improved massively. Look at all the AI Stock in the new Cologen-Aachen timetable from the expansion DLC. I think Frankfurt wouldn't be that empty as Munich is right now. But yes, it would be a lot of work not making the PS4 explode.

• Like Like x 1
  36. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Lol, that's not gonna happen.

37. redrev1917

But for a Frankfurt to Koln route we aren't talking about 1 busy stations but we'd need both ends to be equally as busy as Koln is on SKA (which personally whilst far better after NJ is still quiet compared to reality).

• Like Like x 1
  38. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I think Frankfurt will end up another Munich to be honest.

I’d rather the German DLC bulk up on more rolling stock across the routes we have now, with new routes being smaller lines that are well used.

Too many DE stations are missing so much stock, even Dresden can be very empty sometimes.

IMO time is better spent on rolling stock, as opposed to large stations.

• Like Like x 1
  39. driverwoods#1787

Do You mean a GDR route? Germany doesn't have a retro route unlike the US Clinchfield RR UK Tees Valley Line WCML Liverpool-Crewe Cornish Main Line St Austell Penzance Huddersfield Line Northern Trans Pennine GWML 1970s DLC. The reason why we need a Deutsche Reichsbahn DDR Route is that there can be older trains on Era 7 german routes starting with Dresden Chemnitz 2012 all the way to the newer ones.
    One can compare a DR V60 vs DBB V60. Even pushing a DR BR211/242 Railtour to the max on Munchen Augsburg using December 2011 built fast tracks & SKA LZB.

40. Lamplight

What do you mean by that? If you're referring to the Epochen (eras) system used by model railroaders, we're only up to Epoche/era 6.

41. driverwoods#1787

42. Lamplight

43. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Yea but tsg is really small so it won't be viable for them to create a route. Loco dlcs take over a year to make. Routes would take years or like 10 years or something. Dtg could create the route since they have a bigger team and could have tsg do the loco sounds and/or setup

44. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

That's what has been happening for years...

• Like Like x 4
  45. OldVern

Well we don't really know how long it takes to create a route using their UE4 editor. I know I can speak from using the Trainz etc. editor you probably need to budget around 4 weeks for every 20 miles and that's obviously to freeware standard using built in assets or stuff off the download station. That's also working on the project maybe a couple of hours a day whereas a professional full time employee is going to be spending maybe 8 hours a day on it. So it ought to balance out really and a (say) 50 mile route should take maybe 4 or 5 months allowing for snagging, testing and obviously in the case of TSW setting up the timetable (though that could be possible once the track database and signalling are finalised).

46. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

As usual, I'll opt for any German route that includes lots of shunting activities or, perhaps, not a full route but shunting activities added to existing German routes (or those from any other country, for that matter).

• Like Like x 2
  47. redrev1917

The DUSS terminal on RRO is ripe for some good marshalling and shunting, even more so if they ever got the cranes working.

• Like Like x 1
  48. moelkertje

moelkertje New Member

I don’t mind empty stations like Munich if i know every x year the timetable gets updated with new layers from newer routes. If DTG offers a perspective for the future, buying a route feels more like an investment in your collection rather dan a one time buy an future routes may or may not profit from the layers.

• Like Like x 2
  49. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Indeed! And that goes for other routes as well. Freight loaders of many kinds, including containers, have been practical for years in Train Simulator. In TSW, on the other hand, although some are actually animated, interacting with them is very rarely possible.
    Please get with it, DTG!

• Like Like x 1
  50. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

Indeed, but thats an 3rd party thing and there is nothing about that on the roadmap, those were also not 100% correct sooo... There was said: DMU for passenger, diesel loco for freight, shunting V60