Tsw3 Is This A Joke

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Jamy, Sep 7, 2022.

1. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

We've been working on a solution for this for over a month because there isn't a reverse-lookup option (which would make it an easy fix). It still exists because the way the game was built originally did not take into consideration that this functionality would be added. While it only affected Scenario Planner it was no big deal since substituting services is less important. It's more important now, and is being worked on.

• Like Like x 19
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Good to know as it does reflect on your competence virtually every time you log on.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

Not to mention the poor programmer who as gone to all the effort doing all the hard work to improve the loco and the player only as a 33% chance of picking it from the list or a 14% chance with the German DLC

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Yet (in TSW2) a modder was able to attach origin labels to each loco's card in a matter of days. And it never "just affected Scenario Planner;" it was an issue whenever one used Timetable mode.

• Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Maybe it has been said at some point in a live stream or on the forum but I haven't seen it, could you please explain why the number of available/completed services for each train is not displayed within the menu for each route? This was previously visible on TSW 1 and 2.
    Was this a bug and will it be added in later updates or is it something that has been intentionally removed?

• Like Like x 2
  6. dxltagxmma

dxltagxmma Well-Known Member

There is also a loco with no texture, or a placeholder texture, which I don't know what it exactly is, and also multiple duplicates of locos. upload_2022-9-8_19-56-14.png

7. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

that is the first great western 166, which you only unlock with a mod, so not surprising the UI can't cope with that one.

8. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

This...so much this.
    Again a mod has done it better then the original developer of the game, just like with the TSW2 skybox or many sound mods.

I would expect this to be fixed in days but it will probably be a few months to half a year...

And yes, I don't know how this "it only affected scenario planer" idea came about....this was always the biggest UI issue in TSW2 and now it's still in TSW3 despite all the work they put into the UI

I appreciate they are now actually working on a fix but come on...this should have been fixed before TSW3 release!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  9. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

A modder doing something that DTG should've done frankly isn't surprising.

• Like Like x 5
  10. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

I genuinely don’t understand the mentality a business would have to have to know these things are problems, yet after a glitzy marketing campaign for their 4th ‘new’ version (excluding Rush Hour) of this game happily release it with these pretty obvious and long standing issues.

IMHO I really struggle to see that there’s any excuse for it, it’s simply taking your customers for absolute mugs.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  11. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Well, you all bought it instantly so there is your answer...

• Like Like x 9
  12. JetWash

I bought it solely because I figured if I was going to criticise it vocally (as I had been doing) then it would be hypocritical to do so not having played it myself. I like to make my own mind up and form my own opinions, and I couldn’t do that from watching other people play the game.

I can tell you now though that if the facility existed for me to get a refund for it I would.

• Like Like x 6
  13. I bought it because I wanted to. £40 is an hours work. Worth that all day long.

• Like Like x 2
  14. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

186b73.jpg
    No words sorry...

• Like Like x 7
  15. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Nice try, but the cab car would still be a low entry version :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

So when can we expect the fix? Should be a quick fix. Next TSW3 patch?

• Like Like x 2
  17. tallboy7648

I'd give em 2 years minimum

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  18. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

Counter's on! :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 22
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  20. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Now, that I could live with. Alas as a console user there is no community mod for me to take advantage of. This is why DTG need to do this ASAP because it’s such a simple thing that makes selecting the right train so easy. At present it’s like scrabbling around in a bag of Revels trying to get the malteser (yay) and not a coffee cream (yuck).

• Like Like x 7
  21. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Multi Million $ company DTG: "its on the list, we have been working on a solution for over a month but its complicated :( "

Community Modder (one person doing this in their free time): "Here is a mod that fixes this long standing issue :) "

• Like Like x 14
  22. gogglesguy

gogglesguy Well-Known Member

Perhaps they're trying something more elaborate. Then again, a simple route label like the mod did would have sufficed as a simple stop-gap measure (and could been added to TSW2 many months ago). My suspicion is that they have a lot of route builders and graphic artists, but only have a few handful of actual programmers on staff.

• Like Like x 1
  23. JetWash

My suspicion is that they haven’t been looking at it at all, and saying they have is probably more ‘expectation management’ using the full truth spectrum again.

Well done Bescot. Thankyou for doing the ‘seemingly impossible’ in double quick time.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 17
  24. arek#2842

Well, this mod is most useful for experience TSW players who actually knows what all those acronims stands for.

If I would be new TSW3 player it would not help me much. Even if I would encode it, which is not much of an effort, what would that tell me that this Dostos is coming from DRA and the other from MSB?

Not much, hence I think DTG is working on some more intuitive fix, than that.

25. StokesJH

StokesJH Active Member

Finding out the acronyms is much easier, even for a newbie, than getting the dostos right, which is a nightmare, even for experienced players.

• Like Like x 6
  26. arek#2842

Yeah, and also, newbie will not have so much content to deal with, as I don't suspect they will jump on buying old TSW2 DLCs right away, so maybe might point is irrelevant.

27. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

You've hit the nail on the head with your parenthetical. Modders are unpaid hobbyists who can spend as much time as they want targeting whatever they want without orders from above, budget considerations, lists of priorities, etc.

The other day, the Gran Turismo 7 subreddit had complaints about the rain not being perfectly realistic. The raindrops needed to be different sizes, not all the same size (this kind of thing sound familiar?). And someone mentioned that a modder had fixed it, so why couldn't Polyphony?

When you're a business, there are always choices to be made.

• Like Like x 2
  28. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Yeah sure...that modder probably spent many dozens of hours and thousands of dollars on that fix ...

Comparing one the biggest long standing UI issues in TSW 2/3 with the size of raindrops in GT7....ok.

• Like Like x 6
  29. redrev1917

And according to DTG theyve choosen to spend the last month looking for a fix with no solution, yet a modder can do it within 5 days of the DLC being released.

Perhaps whoever has been tasked with this fix at DTG is quietly quitting.

• Like Like x 10
  30. redrev1917

Anything more elaborate would require a full UI redesign. Its not like they've left a nice space in the selection menu to add anything more elaborate.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Truth to be told, DTG is probably looking for a better fix than simply labelling all 8 Dostos. The ideal solution would be to not need several variants of the exact same rolling stock - like the Class 66, which could be shared across the different routes, no need for 4 copies.

• Like Like x 6
  32. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

They already had a few years to come up with "a better fix"...but choose to totally ignore the problem althouh they did redesign the UI for TSW3...I am speechless...

• Like Like x 12
  33. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Not all m8, some of the things I like are good in TSW3 but some are just 'meh' imo and I am not tempted by any of the routes. I'll wait for a sale.

• Like Like x 3
  34. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

The specifics of the modded problem wasn't the point.

35. countcussy

countcussy Well-Known Member

That's very unlikely

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
  36. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

But it should be, otherwise this comparison makes no sense l.

• Like Like x 2
  37. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

So when is this going to be fixed?

• Like Like x 1
  38. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Frankly the mod goes only part of the way.
    What I want is only one choice for each loco.
    Just the best model there is.

• Like Like x 2
  39. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Don't worry, it will be one of the launch features of tsw 4. New UI with identifiers for the multiple recycled trains.
    Sit tight for a couple of years and prepare your wallet. DTG is working on it!

• Like Like x 10
  40. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Thats what i fear. For all we know "working on it" and "on the list" could easily mean "never gone get fixed until TSW4"

• Like Like x 3
  41. tallboy7648

September 6th, 2024 but it will cost you $49.99

• Like Like x 5
  42. dhekelian

I wonder if DTG actually think shelving and ignoring TSW2 fixes will be their new strategy and so just concentrate on TSW3 but then when TSW4 comes into view TSW3 will be dropped like a stone as well? Sound familiar? This is EA all over.

I've said it before, when No Man's sky came out it was over hyped and did not live up to much. The game got attacked by everyone but instead of ignoring problems he fixed the game and introduced DLC's that were huge and FREE from his tiny studio and now look at the game, it is getting glowing reviews. I think the studio was even flooded as well but Hello Games still continue to support the game and release FREE updates.

Then we have companies like DTG that don't.

• Like Like x 8
  43. AVeryFatElf

AVeryFatElf Well-Known Member

Publishers/studios need to be held more accountable for severe day 1 bugs that could have been caught if the game was released when ready rather than pushed out the door. You can't blame the customer for this.

• Like Like x 2
  44. dhekelian

One simple way customers can get their point across is not to pre-order, some do but then some say they will and buy it on impulse and if DTG know they can release stuff that isn't fit for purpose like Bethesda did then they will carry on as normal imo.

• Like Like x 3
  45. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

So when is the fix coming?

Seems like this is "on the list" but is it on the "release before TSW4" page?

• Like Like x 2
  46. breblimator

breblimator Guest

47. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

But proper naming should be there from the beginning. Like, sure, you can have a singular Dosto model (but this has another issue with regression testing). But there are locos where you just cannot do it, and proper naming is basically the only solution.
    Like the US locos, there so many variations of SD-40s and GP-38 based on railroad, era, individual unit modernization...etc. You don't want to have a single model for that.

• Like Like x 3
  48. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Crazy thought but some devs would probably release a hotfix while they work on a better solution...

I bought a indie game on Steam last week and the single dev has released a full patch and 5 hotfix afterwards to fix issues people had, all in 2 weeks.

Its simply crazy how long everything takes with TSW and DTG,

• Like Like x 3