Train Selection Menu & The Multiple Versions Issue

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by breblimator, Sep 23, 2022.

1. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Perhaps it is obvious, but for me it was not, and I would like to make sure.
    Sorting method (on the left) relates to the version list of a given train in the window on the right?

Bez tytułu.png

This puts some order in the selection of the DoSto, BR 143, etc. variant.
    For me, this UI element is a bit unfortunate.

... But I'm relieved anyway. I avoided certain routes and trains because I couldn't pick the most up-to-date version /o\

BR o7

2. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2022
  4. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

I think it would make sense for the preservation crew (rename as appropriate) to start a project to cut down all released locos to a single version of each (only differing in livery), given the advances made with the Training Center, meaning all applicable routes would instantly benefit from any loco bug fixing or update. This would have the helpful side effect of simplifying the menu choices too (which should then be cut down to a simple choice of livery rather than different locos altogether).

ie. There would be a single Class 377/4 SN which would be used for both East Coastway and London - Brighton. Particularly helpful I guess for those that we've seen a lot of (Dostos, SD40-2 etc).

Hope this makes some sort of sense.

EDIT: I guess there might also be a small(?) memory benefit from those routes where several versions of a loco might layer in at once unintentionally (eg. the Class 66 on the extended SEHS)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  5. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I don't have any complaint regarding multiple, route-based versions of engines; on the other hand, it seems logical to me that only the version of an engine that is included with a specific DLC route should be displayed with that route. Then again, perhaps this should be a toggled option (i.e., single or multiple versions).

6. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

In an ideal world TS and TSW would both work on a 'package' system where instead of all required assets for a route being included in the route, buying a route will make the game request all of the needed assets. For example, a tree model might be used in every single TSW route but that means there is a version in each route taking up space. By having one package 'Generic Tree 1' only one copy of Generic Tree 1 will be installed and updates for the asset can be deployed automatically on every single route. With trains, only one Class 377/1 or /4 would be in the game, and both ECW and VTB would use the exact same one.

Unfortunately TSW was developed making the same mistakes as TS post-TS2013, with duplicate assets included in every route and multiple copies of the same train. When Kuju first developed Rail Sim they did it right, although in a different way. The EU Loco And Asset pack contained every generic asset and train in the game, as well as assets specific for the base routes. Cajon Pass, an expansion pack route for RS contained the assets specifically required for that route and generic US assets used for years afterwards. Isle Of Wight however didn't use the EU Loco and Asset Pack I believe, at least not in TS.

Unfortunately the EU and US loco and asset packs stopped being used for two reasons. Firstly they were huge and took a long time to load especially from old hard drives. And when they stopped being used, around 2013/2014, the assets were very dated. However, in an ideal world the assets would have been replaced to keep them up to date, and it would have kept the old routes a bit less dated. Alas, neither happened.

• Like Like x 1