What Steam Routes Would You Like To See Come To Tsw3?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by WonterRail, Jul 9, 2022.

1. theozzmanishere

theozzmanishere New Member

I was going for a route between Detroit and Lansing, originally it was going to be Chicago and Grand Rapids but I thought that would be overstepping a bit too far lol.

• Like Like x 1
  2. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

Ffestinog and Welsh Highland Railways (Present Day)

This is, frankly, the obvious choice for a preserved route - while with TSC there is the excellent third-party route by SPRailways, with TSW Dovetail have the chance to do it themselves.

With a combined length of 38 miles, they're one of the longest preserved lines in Britain, yet still fit comfortably within the standard TSW route length. They feature gorgeous and dramatic scenery that would make the most of TSW's graphical capabilities, from the castle at Caernarfon through the Cob at Porthmadog to the slate tips of Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Another advantage is that unlike most other preserved lines, both the FR and WHR have enough locomotives from a single class to make a realistic timetable with - the NGG16 Garratt for the WHR, and the various Double Fairlies for the FR (the latter are not all identical, but they're probably close enough). Not to mention the endless opportunities for loco DLC, from shunting with the Quarry Hunslets to running maintenance trains with the diesels - and even adding some exotic flair with the visiting Darjeeling loco.

I strongly recommend checking out SPRailways' route - and imagining how good the scenery could look in TSW2...

• Like Like x 3
  3. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

Might aswell thrown in the last of the Dresden Narrow-Gauge trilogy here.

Döllnitzbahn Modern: Oschatz–Glossen

This route is not found on any of the TSW2 Dresden route's, but is rather found in the Leipzig extension for the existing Riesa-Dresden route on TS Classic. Which came out as of of well... TS Classic.

But anyways, what was once part of a much bigger narrow-gauge network that served central Saxony is now a tourist line thats runs between the main line connection at Oschatz, passes through Mügeln which was once one the largest narrow-gauge railway stations in Europe and ends in the town of Glossen, or goes down a branch line to Kemmlitz, which the later fact would make this stand out from the other two narrow-gauge routes.

One other detail that makes this stand out from those other two is the loco selection. As much as this would only come with one steam loco, it would be the Saxon IV K 0-4-4-0T Mallet type. This would take charge of a variety of tasks from passenger operations to a few demostration freight trains using piggyback wagons that are able to carry larger, standard gauge stock on narrow-gauge track. The route would also come with the BBÖ 2041/s diesel loco, which is usually used on normal weekdya operations when the steam locos are not in operation.

4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  5. WonterRail

6. driverwoods#1787

Correct and for DLC locomotive the Ingersoll Rand Oil electric shunter Alco RS3 H1 Hudson. Basically it's the American equivalent to the Bamberg Hof Railway. This route provides my NJ Transit route the Raritan Valley Line Steam specials. While my German suggestion gives Main Spessart Bahn Riesa-Dresden Tharandter Rampe steam railtour.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Here's another awesome steam-era route suggestion: the Pennsylvania Railroad's Horseshoe Curve route set in the 1940s-50s. This version of HSC would include the fourth track on the curve as well as steam facilities in Altoona.
    -Loco ideas:
    -PRR H10 Consolidation for local trains
    -PRR J1 2-10-4 for heavy freights
    -PRR T1 Duplex for fast passenger trains

-Possible DLC locos:
    -PRR B6sb 0-6-0 for switching
    -PRR M1a/M1b for freight and passenger trains
    -PRR K4 Pacific for passenger trains
    -PRR 2-8-8-2 Mallet or Q2 Duplex for heavy freights
    -PRR S2 Turbine

• Like Like x 2
  8. WonterRail

You know, we've had alot of routes from the three core countries that make up TSW, so I think it's time to suggest something completely different here.

Outeniqua Choo Tjoe Pre-2006: George–Knysna

Let me introduce you to a route from.... South Africa.

This specifically is the 42 Mile (67 km) hertiage line that ran between George and Knysna. A journey that may have taken 3 hours due to the nature of the route, but was incredibly scenic by following the coast of the Garden Route pass Victoria Bay, Wilderness, Goukamma and Sedgefield before reaching it's climax by crossing over the lagoon at Knysna. The line stopped operating in 2009, but was crippled even before then in 2006, when the line was damaged due to heavy flooding and despite talks of reviving services here, no trains have run on this route ever since.

It is this pre-2006 period that this route shall be set in and the loco is the SAR Class 19D 4-8-2, once quite a common sight across various railways in Africa. They would mainly take on tourist trains, as that was the main traffic that ran on this route back then. But you also might see a few freight wagons incorperated into the train, as has been the case during those days of operation.

Going away from the suggestion here, this should a good time say that, if you want to suggest a route from outside TSW's typical core countries, then I'm completely okay with that. Don't feel like you have to be limited by the three countries that TSW typically goes to (the only thing I will say is just, don't make the route too long) but other than that, I won't stop you suggesting stuff from much further afield that what we typical get with a TSW route.

• Like Like x 1
  9. driverwoods#1787

Train Sim classic has the F7 GP9 Baldwin Sharknose these can work along the steam locomotives mentioned here. Additionally you can get PRR 5600s Alco RS-1 which was a military Diesel locomotive for DLC making it a combined steam diesel route pretty common for the US Railroads since the 1930s-1960s.

10. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the same unacknowledged one I've suggested for five years. KGX to PBo

• Like Like x 1
  11. jedi247

It's time for another steam-era route suggestion, so here it is. My next idea is the SP Donner Pass Route between Roseville, California and Reno Nevada set in the 1950s. The full route is over 140 miles, so that might be a bit long, but with TSW3's longer routes, it could be possible to do a decent version of this scenic route. Regarding locomotives, the first steam loco is an obvious one: the SP AC-Series Cab Forwards. These monsters were SP's main power over Donner Pass in the 1940s-50s. For local freights and switching, the route should include a 2-8-0 Consolidation. An SP 2-10-2 or 4-10-2 could be a great engine for helper services on Donner Pass.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

When I saw the Cajon Valley route to TSW3, another image came to my mind, when is the Soldier Mountain Summit coming to TSW3?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

*Cajon Pass
    *Soldier Summit

However I don't see Soldier Summit being made as a Steam Route for TSW3. None of the DRGWs big steam locos are preserved, with exception of the Challengers they ended up with in during WW2. (Which were identical to UP 3985) And the DRGW crews hated those compared to locos like their L-105 Challengers.

14. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I still think either the Great Central Railway from Marylebone to Rugby, or the Stratford On Avon and Midland Junction Railway from Blisworth/ or Ravenstone Wood Jn outside Olney on the old Bedford and Northampton via Towcester to Stratford and Banbury respectively. Would be a lovely rural experience, not too busy but a perfect backwater to lose yourself for an hour or so in the evening.

• Like Like x 2
  15. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Have you seriously just requested a modern route in a thread set up for steam loco suggestions?
    Also it would be 350s used not 450s.

16. K-36 480

K-36 480 New Member

Also want to see those engines in the game to there amazing and just really great engines

17. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

Route name: Spirit Of Steam: Salisbury - Verwood in the 40s
    Route year: 1940s.
    Operators: Southern & British Railways
    Locations: Salisbury, Downton, Breamore, Fordingbridge, Daggers Road, Verwood.

• Like Like x 2
  18. WonterRail

Possible locos for this route? (Presume something from the LSWR considering the time period and from having a look myself at what locos run on this route).

Also, I find it interesting you called the route at Verwood, even though the real life routes true end point (when it existed), West Moors, is just one stop further down the line.

19. driverwoods#1787

Leipzig Riesa Dresden in the GDR Era 1970s to 3 October 1990 German reunification Distance 116km (72 mi). It is a mixed steam electric and diesel route like my Bamberg Hof Railway suggestion. DR is Deutsche Reichsbahn GDR which the current Deutsche Bahn licence covers too
    The rolling Stock list is taken from German Wikipedia for DR DDR Steam locomotives. For our German members Dampflok
    DR 18 201 23.10 50.40 65.10 Neubaulok
    DR 01.5 52.80 29.10 Rekolok
    Electric
    DR BR211 242 250 (155 from RSN in original paint) 243 and 230 (DB BR180)
    Diesel
    DR BR118 119 (U-boat due to it having circular windows on the Side) 132 (DB BR 232 for Ruhr Sieg Nord in orignal paint) DR V100 (original paint for 204 from Main Spessart Bahn) DR V60 (DB BR345 DR BR106)
    [​IMG]
    2nd picture is a DR 23.10
    [​IMG]
    3rd picture is 65.10
    [​IMG]
    When carrying passenger carriages the formation can be a Rekowagen like this restaurant carriage
    [​IMG]
    2nd formation is a DR Y-Wagen mixed with the Rekowagen Restaurant Carriage.
    [​IMG]
    Also includes a GDR Dosto for use by Steam Diesel and Electric locomotives
    [​IMG]
    Lastly is the DR GDR Goods wagons like the EK4 Reefer Other types are in this list from German Wikipedia for DR GDR Freight wagons
    [​IMG]
    Video of 65.10 by Train Tv Berlin in the German Language

Owners of Leipzig Riesa Dresden GDR Era will change all German routes is that Steam locomotives can do rail tours Scheduled steam Plandampf using their own GDR rakes or compatible with era 7 freight and passenger wagons. 65.10 can substitute the 204 (including GDR paint DR V100) 363 & G6 on routes that use them. Also covers OBB shunters if a route that has them is made like Linz-Wien and Innsbruck. However, the route Diesel and Electric locomotives can pull their own rakes of goods and passenger carriages or pull present-day era 7 German freight wagons like the Laaers 560 Sggrmss passenger carriages 767.2 766.2 780 785 Dosto possibly the Niddertalbahn gives a 781 786 High platform dosto and Intercity carriages from DB BR101. All locomotives are equipped with PZB Sifa and brake mode selectors. Yard wise Leipzig Riesa-Dresden has Dresden Altstadt for Steam locomotive depot. While 65.10 DR V100 V60 243 250 230 and DR BR119 use Rbf Dresden Friedrichstadt as their depot

• Like Like x 2
  20. mlouie100

mlouie100 Well-Known Member

The Grand Canyon Railway. The line is a 65 mile tourist railroad that runs on the former Santa Fe Railroad's Grand Canyon branch from Williams, Arizona to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. The route should be set in the early 2000's when the railroad had three steam locomotives in operation on the line. The engines that operate the line are SC-3 2-8-0 former Lake Superior and Ishpeming railroad engine 29, Former Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy railroad engine 4960 O-1 a 2-8-2 and the railroad's former steam locomotive former Lake Superior and Ishpeming railroad engine 18 a consolidation type locomotive which ran on the railroad until 2002 when it was removed form service due to the railroads passenger train capacity increasing. The railroad also has Diesel locomotives if Dovetail does make this they can add them as part of DLC's core locomotives and this could become the first TSW route with a mixed steam and diesel train schedule.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  21. jedi247

ATSF 4-8-4 #3751 has done excursion trains on the Grand Canyon RR, so it would be amazing to see #3751 as a DLC, plus we could run her on Cajon Pass as well.

• Like Like x 1
  22. tranquil#5345

tranquil#5345 Member

The true end point of the route was Bournemouth West. The trains from Salisbury used to continue beyond West Moors through Wimborne to Broadstone and then follow the Somerset & Dorset line through Poole into Bournemouth West.

My own suggestion would be the 'Waverley' route from Carlisle to Edinburgh. There were lots of stations, so I won't list them all. The route went from Carlisle through Longtown, Riccarton, Hawick, St. Boswells, Melrose, and Tynehead to Edinburgh Waverley. Locos would have included the LNER A3, B1 and K3 and the North British D30 'Scott' class 4-4-0 and J35 0-6-0. Time period - probably 50s, but clearly before it was shut. It was a very hilly route and went through some lovely scenery in the Scottish Lowlands.

• Like Like x 2
  23. theozzmanishere

theozzmanishere New Member

I like to put another route on here.

The Little River Railroad is a 27 mile tourist line running from Coldwater, Michigan to Hillsdale, Michigan. This route will feature tender first and bunker first running as a mainstay. Regular operations run between Coldwater and Quincy, Michigan so a distance of about 14 miles round trip, the occasional Hillsdale Flyer trips run about 54 miles round trip. This route will also combine schedules from 2007-2017 to get the most amount of services possible to make this a workable route. The locomotives are as follows:

#110 is a 4-6-2 standard gauge Pacific type locomotive built by Baldwin in 1911 for the original Little River Railroad and Lumber Company of Townsend Tennessee, 110 ran until 1939 and was sold to the Smoky Mountain Railroad and ran until the 1950s. After being abandoned in the 60s, she was found by her current owner and transported to Coldwater and restored in 1975.

#1 is a 0-4-0 tank engine supposedly built in 1908, the exact date has never been determined as #1 is most likely a combination of several different locomotives. #1 was purchased by the LRR in 2000 and restored in 2004. #1 serves as 110s backup and stablemate.

This route may seem a bit slow in terms of speed, 20-25 mph but with how small 110 is, it''ll probably feel like 55 lol

• Like Like x 3
  24. lucasfor49

lucasfor49 Well-Known Member

Not really a "past" route per say but still a very interesting steam route, The North Yorkshire Moors Railway. With around 18 miles (24 km) It runs between Whitby and Pickering with its stations being: Whitby, Grosmont, Goathland, Newton Dale Hall (request Stop), Levisham, Farwarth and pickering. While only a few stations it does run a very scenic route along the north east of England. Please don't listen to much to the rolling stock as some of it may be a tad incorrect, I am horrible at finding exact rolling stock. I believe it runs the LNER class A4 which can go to up to 90 mph (do feel free to tell me any other rolling stock on the line.) Era would be likely around 2008 as that is when there services where in there hay day.

• Like Like x 2
  25. tornado811

tornado811 Member

Cass Scenic Railroad

Cass to Durbin , Cass to Bald Knob, Cass to Elkins , Basically the Whole Cass Scenic Railroad Route and the connecting Elkins Route

Obviously Cass Scenic Railroad is well known for their Shays, and their Climax and Heisler locomotives , and is good option for a Route because of it being unique and the history with this Railroad.

Modern Day would be the time frame

Rolling Stock would be:

The railroads Old log cars converted to Tourist Passenger cars

Bobber Caboose and other Cabooses

Log crane car

Box cars

Hopper cars

Tanker car

And etc...

Locomotives :

Diesel Locomotives:

Western Maryland BL2

GP9

FP7A

F7B

Steam Locomotives:

Operable

Shay’s # 2 , #4 , #5 , Western Maryland #6 , #11

Climax #9

Heisler #6

Not operable / sold or was part of the Cass Scenic Railroad at one time:

Durbin Rocket Climax #3 (Needs Work Done)

Shay #3 , (Static Display, not the one Cass didn’t own) , (Restoration Needed)

Shay #1 ( Now at B&O railroad museum)

Shay #7 ( Not Operable, Needs Restoration)

Shay #10 ( Needs Restoration)

BC&G #4 ( Needs Restoration)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  26. mlouie100

How about a steam route based in Japan I suggest the Oigawa Railway the line is a 24 mile line from Kanaya station to Senzu Station. If you want to know more about the line check the wiki link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ōigawa_Railway_Ōigawa_Main_Line the line can be set in the present the steam locomotives on this line are a JNR Class C10, JNR Class C11 and the JNR Class C56. this railway line is a private railway operation. This can add diversity to the Typical US, German ,and British routes in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Fear-Factor

Fear-Factor Well-Known Member

I dont know exact routes or names but as for me i would like to see something completly DIFFERENT and not everytime UK, GER and US stuff....

Poland has lot to offer and has also quite nice steam and diesel loco history.
    Locos like TY42, TY37, Ol2, Ol49, Pt47, Tkt48 and lot more are really beatutiful machines.

Basically the routes in the south of Poland are nice, with lot of courves and different elevations.
    In my opinion also unwelded tracks are better in terms of immersion.

Guess routes like Jelenia Gora - Szklarska Poreba, Szklarska Poreba Gorna - Harrachow, Jelenia Gora - Lwowek Slaski, Chabowka - Zakopane, routes around Walbrzych and for sure much more would fit great into TSW3.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
  28. Whats classed as a route? I would quite like to see a route from london Victoria to lewes via the oxted and and tunbridge wells and Polegate and tunbridge wells and lewes lines. Or is this classed as more than one route?

29. WonterRail

If all those areas you've listed are part of the same route, then yes, it does count. Just as long as you give enough details what the route could provide (Like locos, time-era, etc. Which is all explained on the first post).

• Like Like x 1
  30. What I propose is a route from London Victoria to Lewes via Eridge. Starting at Victoria the line will run along the brighton line to West Croydon where it will then branch off on to what's know as the Oxted line, Formerly known as the Oxted and Groombridge line.

Current Oxted line
    Oxted_line.png

Then from Eridge onto the former Tunbridge Wells and Polegate line Which joins the disused Tunbridge wells and Lewes line.
    Today the Oxted line terminates at Uckfield but used to run on the Tunbridge wells and Lewes line (known as the Wealden line) a short way down to Lewes from Uckfield.

Below is a archive video, Although it does not cover the Eridge-Lewes part of the line, it gives you some idea what the route will look like. Also what trains run on the line at the time. And a good watch.

Set around 1961 you would have a mixture of steam, diesel and electric trains traction to play with, passenger and freight services. Using both Electronic and Semaphore signalling. Running along some of the most beautiful countryside England has to offer.

Bellow is a map of the proposed Brighton mainline 2 with the extension marked Sussex phase.
    BML2-MAP-2018720w.jpg

There's also 1 or 2 single track branch lines that could be added. To bring the experience of single track workings and token exchange. but i won't go into those.

BR standard class 4
    Neasden_Locomotive_Depot_geograph-2817161-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

SECR H class
    Tonbridge_Station_ex-SE&CR_0-4-4T_geograph-2658589-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

Southern region Push pull set.
    image002.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  31. jedi247

One of the major railroads we are missing in TSW3 is the New York Central Railroad. I'm suggesting an NYC RR Steam-era route: part of the NYC-Chicago Water Level Route. Obviously, the route is way too long to do the entire thing, but a 70-90 mile section would be perfect for TSW3. I'd like to see the starting point be either Chicago or New York City. Perhaps Albany could be a good starting point, too. If anyone has any suggestions for the exact route, please comment below.
    Now, as for locos and rolling stock, I think there is an obvious one: the famous NYC J1 or J3 Hudson. We could also see an NYC Niagara 4-8-4 and/or 4-8-2 Mowhawk. A small NYC 2-8-0 or 0-6-0 steamer could be perfect for locals and switching operations. A 20th Century Limited or Empire State Express passenger consist and a few cars for local passenger or mail trains should be included with the base route. For freight trains, the route needs Pacemaker box cars, TOFC flat cars with and without trailers, 1950s-era steel reefers, tank cars, other freight equipment, and an NYC Caboose or two.
    Possible Loco DLCs could include a streamlined Dreyfuss Hudson, an Empire State Express Hudson, the Commodore Vanderbilt Hudson, a Mercury Pacific with matching passenger cars, and maybe a few smaller steam locos for local and switching operations.

• Like Like x 3
  32. mlouie100

That would be great if they can bring these long scrapped locmotives back to life via the unreal engine technology

33. WonterRail

I'm going to list this one as New York-Albany, as that seems like the most realistic route top come out of this suggestion, coming from having looked at a map of the route myself.

34. mlouie100

Black River and Western Railroad is a 16 mile tourist railroad that runs on the former Pennsylvania Railroad's Flemington Branch line in New Jersey. The line runs between Flemington and Ringo's New Jersey. They are currently extending their tourist train services to Lambertville. There's is a wide range of services from short line freight to tourist trains. The railroads only steam locomotive is Great Western Railroad of Colorado locomotive 60 a 2-8-0 steam loco and the line can be set in the present. This route can be also be an ideal mixed steam and diesel loco route for tsw 3

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  35. max#3831

max#3831 Member

I agree with route because I was thinking about suggesting a route like this soon and it would be set on the Hudson Division set in 1949 for my suggestion and I'll leave a video.https://www.google.com/search?q=new...HXzACYcQ_AUoA3oECAQQAw&biw=360&bih=592&dpr=2#

36. Adam Palmer

Adam Palmer Active Member

Just stumbled across this thread, and I've got a few steam-era routes I would like to see, but I'll start with this one:

The Northwestern Pacific South End: Sausalito, Tiburon, Schelville-Santa Rosa

This particular route would be set anywhere between the 1910's-1941, and would cover the Northwestern Pacific Railroad from its passenger and freight terminals at Sausalito and Tiburon in Marin County, California, as well as the outside world connection at Schelville in Sonoma County to Santa Rosa where the NWP interchanged with the electrified Petaluma and Santa Rosa Railroad, which would also be included from Petaluma to Santa Rosa via Sebastopol.
    In Marin County, the third-rail powered suburban electric network, lasting from 1903 to 1941 should also be included in its entirety. These include the main lines from the ferry terminal at Sausalito to Fairfax (the end of the line was another half-mile or so north at Manor) and San Rafael, by way of either the line from San Anselmo or the Baltimore Park Cutoff which connected with the mainline from Tiburon.
    This section would also include the Mill Valley branch and the Mount Tamalpias and Muir Woods Scenic Railway which ran 8 miles up steep, twisting and turning track from the NWP station at Mill Valley to a tavern at the summit of Mount Tamalpias, an elevation of approximately 2,500 feet, as well as to Muir Woods National Park, home to many giant redwood trees.

As for included stock the steam workhorses of the NWP were leased Southern Pacific 2-6-0 Moguls, 4-4-0 Americans, and 2-8-0 Consolidations. The Mt. Tamalpias and Muir Woods Railway rostered a small number of geared Shay and Heisler type locomotives. The other essential power for the route would include the original wooden cars and the St. Louis Car Company steel cars for the suburban electrics as well as the unique Gravity Cars on Mt. Tamalpias. The Petaluma and Santa Rosa Railroad would also include a Steeplecab electric locomotive as well as their distinctive yellow interurban for passenger service.
    For rolling stock, an SP and NWP boxcar should be included as well as a flatcar with varying lumber loads as well as other cargo. The route should also include a wooden PFE reefer, SP and generic tank car, and wooden caboose. As for passenger equipment, the route should have an NWP Pullman heavyweight baggage car, coach, diner, and sleeping cars for the Eureka Express as well as trailing cars for the suburban electrics and open-air cars for Mt. Tamalpias.

• Like Like x 3
  37. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Well now I've also stumbled across this thread and I would like to add the Moselstrecke: Koblenz - Wittlich (-Trier) in 1970-71 to it.

It is set in a scenic area of Germany, along the Mosel river. It is set towards the end of West-German steam in 1978, but still has a mostly steam-filled timetable with the first diesels slowly starting to creep in on some services. Heavy freight, and express passenger services are still firmly in the hands of some of Germany's most powerful steam engines, the BR 44 and BR 01, and although the V160 Diesel locomotives are starting to come into service with new n-Wagen passenger coaches on some local services, most are still operated by BR 23 steam engines with older Umbauwagen. In addition to that, one could even see the state of the art BR 634 DMU, that had air suspension that allowed for tilting. This beautiful juxtaposition of the best of the old and the new diesels set along the beautiful Moselstrecke is in my opinion truly the best possible steam (and diesel) route that could come for Germany.

[​IMG]
    A BR 44 coming out of the tunnel at Neef with a heavy cokes train.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  38. driverwoods#1787

That needs to be done and I wonder how would a Spirit of Steam Trier Koblenz route change the Present Day version with DB BR189? Your route changes the linked Koblenz Koln route because it allows these locomotives to run Koln from Koblenz Lutzel

39. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

N&W
    Roanoke to Lynchburg Virginia
    Total travel time: roughly an hour and a half
    I myself have been a conductor on this route, and it isn't just a single up hill and back down hill. There are multiple grade changes mixed coal, and passenger trains for the N&W era. It would also be easy to make as most if not all of the rolling stock, Roanoke yard, and n&w locomotives still around. The only challenge will be "returning" the main to it's former glory

• Like Like x 1
  40. WonterRail

Rough time period for this route?

41. royalscot#3684

royalscot#3684 Well-Known Member

Let's revive some famous closed routes -
    Somerset and Dorset - Bath to Templecombe
    Great Central - Nottingham to Rugby
    Midland and Great Northern Joint - South Lynn to Cromer via Melton Constable

• Like Like x 2
  42. jackmiller1234567890

jackmiller1234567890 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  43. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Why are you posting about modern stuff, this thread is about steam era routes? Plenty of other threads for the plastic box fans.

• Like Like x 2
  44. WonterRail

Appreciate the suggestions there (and the fact you have provided links to where you can find more info) but can you please move three of those suggestions into seperate posts. It just makes my life tracking suggestions here a little easier.

45. jackmiller1234567890

• Like Like x 1
  46. jackmiller1234567890

• Like Like x 1
  47. jackmiller1234567890

• Like Like x 1
  48. WonterRail

Unfortunatly, the first two suggestions have already been suggested here (the second one is an interesting one as it's a different version of the one we already have here, just that's it's a little shorter).

However, I will let you keep the third one, as that one has not been already suggested here, on the basis that you can tell me enough about what the route you're suggesting could offer. Like, don't tell me 'I want to see this route', it might be good route you're suggesting, but tell me stuff like:
    • Where does the route go to and from
    • What time-frame is the route set in?
    • Are there any branches on this route?
    • What locos could come with the route? (Giving details on rolling stock like coaches and wagons is optional).
    I don't need tons of information, I just need enough to tell me what the route you're suggesting could offer.

I find it amazing that you quoted the first post of this thread, exampling about how this thread works, and you still went ahead and suggested a modern route here like you didn't read the first post properly. Truly mind-blowing stuff here.

But in all seriousness, this is a thread to suggest steam routes, not modern routes, if you want to do that, go elesewhere. Or if you still want to have that route be featured here, change it so that it's a period steam route.

49. royalscot#3684

royalscot#3684 Well-Known Member

The MGNJR was a legendary UK route from the Midlands to Norwich and the East Coast resorts. The main line split at Melton Constable - the northern branch went to the picturesque seaside resorts of Cromer And Sheringham ( home of the preserved North Norfolk Railway). The central branch went to the large resort of Yarmouth across the beautiful Norfolk Broads. The southern line went to the Cathedral city of Norwich.

It was a fascinating railway with beautiful country stations, located in Fenland, forests, Broadland and pastoral scenery. Different parts were built by different companies so the station buildings varied a great deal along the line. There were many amazing bridges and viaducts including a famous Swing Bridge. The main line switched constantly from single to double track and back again. This meant it was a very congested route on Summer Saturdays, with trains from Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield, London and elsewhere.

The locos and stock varied but in the latter years Ivatt 4s predominated. Earlier in the 50s there were many famous UK classes from the LMS and LNER - 2Ps, 4Fs, B1s, B17s, Claude Hamiltons...

Most of it shut in 1959 - the first major route closure in the UK.

Obviously I would like DTG to build it all, but the coastal section is likely to be the most popular with Sim drivers.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  50. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

DB BR 10 would also be an nice loco to have
    [​IMG]