Rain Sim World 3

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by solicitr, Nov 11, 2022.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

While dynamic weather is great, and a big addition to the game, the maths of the change mechanic really, really need tweaking. As it stands, the weather invariably worsens, and if your run goes more than 10-15 minutes, it will inevitably end up raining (or snowing), whatever the start conditions and whatever the season.

I don't know if there is an accidental or intentional inherent bias in the direction of worsening conditions, or whether the system simply needs to be weighted more towards "no change" (especially from Clear), but as it is, inhabitants of this Sim World really should be building arks and gathering animals.

• Like Like x 22
  2. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Because of this and the predictable pattern of the dynamic weather, i ended up with avoid using it completely and use custom weather instead.

• Like Like x 8
  3. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

On a positive note I feel like it’s improved a bit in recent patches. Before it was almost guaranteed that you could start a service on clear day and be in the rain by the time you end. Now I find I can at least do a run without rain coming sometimes.

I guess it’s a balance… they want the average player to experience the weather changes. But in real life you aren’t going through so many rain/sun cycles.

At least they fixed the lightning so it’s not hitting within 10 ft of you over and over but there was whining about that change too so some people apparently like the schizophrenic weather.

• Like Like x 2
  4. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree, the novelty of dynamic weather has passed, it's gone from a 'that's an interesting feature that will sure add variation to service mode' to 'do I feel like driving in heavy rain/thunderstorm conditions all of the time'.

Joking aside, dynamic for a majority of the time just makes it rain - even worse, on Dresden Chemnitz for example, I was doing a return service to Tharandt from Dresden Hbf (around 20 mins each way) and, having started in dry conditions, it started and stopped raining a couple times before finishing with a thunderstorm. As such, I'm mostly back to custom weather as I like to drive in dry conditions mainly.

• Like Like x 3
  5. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

I fully agree and thank you for rising this up again!

Although I originally enjoy dynamic weather and basically not having to look at the same sky all the time the possibility of it being set to rain is far too high.
    As an example: while I was doing some G6 timetable runs on RRO recently - such consecutive services are perfectly suitable for the benefits of dynamic weather in my opinion - it led me into a thunderstorm after a foggy morning start in November... and the thunderstorm did last for over an hour after it finally drizzled out.
    Now I'm sure there have been thunderstorms in Western Germany in November sometime in the last 500 years - but such an event is just way overscripted and unrealistic.

So according to this and Matts explanations regarding the settings of dynamic weather somewhere in the PC forum recently I'd like to come up with a suggestion:
    Why not adding a second subset of dynamic weather possibilities where you can set the intensity of weather changes?
    The current system could be described as 'spectacular' and the new one as 'realistic' where the possibilities sun -> low/Medium clouds-> back or full coverage are at about 95% after all and there is only a little chance of rain at least during the summer months.
    Just as an example, my parents-in-law are living about 150km north of the DCZ area and haven't experienced any rainfall between the end of May and the middle of September! I know that's hard to imagine in comparison of British circumstances and not prototypical even for german RL weather but it gives you an idea ;)
    But what did change there was the cloud coverage so that would be a nice factor.

Or, as another alternative, but probably hard to implement in the UI and otherwise, a system like in Forza Motorsport or I think Project Cars 2 back then, where the player could individually set up the changing weather conditions while having some sorts of dynamics as well.

• Like Like x 4
  6. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I don't understand some people. I mean, they want "unchanging" weather but they choose dynamic weather. It's all very logical. If you are going to do a short race and you think it is so unrealistic that the weather will change, choose the usual static weather. If I choose dynamic weather it's because I want it to be that way! Or do I have to be forced to do a race of more than an hour to experience weather changes?

For me it's perfect now. Besides, it doesn't always change, it's random. Many races that I have started in dry or wet conditions have ended up in the same conditions.

I think there are much bigger problems to solve at TSW than this and we can't drive DTG crazy with so many complaints. Sometimes we sound like spoiled children pretending the game is exactly the way we want it to be on an individual basis and complaining about little things.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bdobronz1968

bdobronz1968 Active Member

Weather is not just rain or no rain. Weather is also changes from clear to cloudy and back or so. And I‘m missing this kind of weather changes. So I totally agree with you that this feature is quite nice, but there is still room for improvement.

• Like Like x 5
  8. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

Honestly i now use custom weather

9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

What we are looking for is realism. Yes, weather changes, but it does not ordinarily change so rapidly or so dramatically. Moreover, in real life rain stops eventually- not so in TSW3. The change is all in one direction.

• Like Like x 2
  10. bdobronz1968

bdobronz1968 Active Member

This is not my experience, I had some journeys where the weather had changed from dry to rain and back to dry conditions. But I think this is much more seldom than the other way round, maybe 1:10 or so.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, I've had one or two weather patterns like that on SEHS, dry and overcast to heavy rain and back to dry and sunny. Sometimes the weather changed while I was in the tunnel.

There is an almost infinite variety of weather patterns in real life, but the programmer can only code a few - sunny, cloudy, overcast, light rain, heavy rain, light snow, heavy snow, misty and foggy. The algorithm DTG is using may be the best that they can do. It may be tweakable, but not by much, I'm guessing.

One thing I've noticed is that in a heavy rain storm, visibility in the cab is close to zero at times, especially in darkness. But if you switch to the external camera, you'd hardly know it was raining at all.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  12. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I dunno, I see that a lot here :D

13. Texanator1987

Texanator1987 Member

14. I went from dartford to Faversham. Started with light cloud, turned to rain in the Gravesend area then sunshine as I emerged from the tunnel at Gillingham. I think you have to account for both randomisation and area. Some areas see different weather patters to others. It's not easy to get it right.

15. Teflon490

Teflon490 Active Member

A simple "weather change probability" percentage slider like in ETS2/ATS would solve all these issues and allow for adjustment to everyone's taste. But I guess this is one of those "it is too hard to implement, it would break gazillion other features already implemented" reasons why not to do that. And so here we are...

• Like Like x 1
  16. stijn.claessens

stijn.claessens Well-Known Member

and the season. Fall is more likely to have rain than summer

17. Isaak

Isaak Well-Known Member

Yesterday I drove from München Hackerbrücke to Mammendorf and back again in an S3 service at 6:20am. I set light snow on the 17th of December as the weather scenario. Lo and behold, as usual, after about 20 minutes I was driving in a heavy thunderstorm, and the weather stayed that way until I reached München Hackerbrücke about an hour later. This weather scenario is very unlikely to happen in real life in that time of the year, at that hour in the morning in that region. It's just plain wrong because the circumstances that lead to a thunderstorm are about impossible to encounter in real life. I understand that DTG wants to showcase the new thunderstorm abilities, but I encounter them about every time I use dynamic weather. It really puts me off since for me dynamic weather would have to mean that one encounters dry regions in between rain showers, weather changing gradually over time or the like, not the full set of weather scenario's one might encounter over the course of a full year, packed in just an hour of driving. Please do something about the dynamic weather settings because it's a really great addition to the game, but breaks the immersion at the moment and makes me switch it off more and more. It's a pity.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

I have had the weather come back to good, but it does seem to go to rain storm and then sit there the most, and with alarming regularity.

I tried the other way around and started in a storm to see if it would clear up as fast too.
    It did eventually, after an hour, but for the rest of that time it was one of the darkest, dramatic, longest lasting storms I’ve ever known. (It was a good run for it too) but it does seem that it leans towards going to rain the most.

• Like Like x 1
  19. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

Related to this issue, but not about Dynamic weather, is about selecting one type instead, I have noticed the following:

> If you select: "Foggy" - the sky is full of clouds, but also you have fog (clouds at lower height)

> If you select "Cloudy" - the sky is full of clouds, but also you have less lower visibility!
    It is supposed cloudy means full covered skies, but good visibility in front of you.

So I have no noticed much difference between those 2 different options.

Have you noticed the same?

20. Princess Entrapta

There are a couple of different kinds of cloudy day IRL, the ones where it feels like the cloud cover extends to the ground, and the ones with good visibility where the clouds fill the sky overhead, pretty much comes down to humidity.

21. Princess Entrapta

Halfway up Cajon pass yesterday, I had the dynamic weather give me a light flurry of snow, which left the whole route white with clear skies for the rest of it, and surprisingly that whole run, all like, two plus hours of it struggling to avoid wheel slip, the FPS held steady at 60.

22. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

Yes, you are right.
    But on the sim, both weather selections I mentioned, it looks very similar from the visual point of view on the sim.
    I believe cloudy might be with more visibility near the ground.