PC Dtg - Not Fixing Stuff Is Costing You Money

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by OldVern, Nov 24, 2022.

1. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Anyway. that is something that probably risks your Steam account since you certainly go against their TOS.

• Like Like x 3
  2. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

Pretty brave to publicly incite piracy here. Legal action and the loss of both Steam accounts are possible.
    Is it worth it?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  3. NicRus

NicRus New Member

I join, many people know this, many do it. But this is not a forum for discussing piracy. STOP IT!

4. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Pretty brave or pretty stupid depending on your outlook

• Like Like x 1
  5. It's not piracy. It's a loophole! I don't condone doing what's mentioned above but really this is a problem that steam needs to address. Now dtg are aware of this they will be able to put a stop to it.

Anyone found to be taking advantage of the said loophole risks a ban from steam and losing God knows how many 100s of pounds you have invested in it.

Is it worth the risk?

• Like Like x 1
  6. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

I talked to Matt about this back in Nov 21, he didn't seem very interested and just responded with a typical "Thanks for the note, i'll review it with the engineering team". Looking back at DTG's bugfix mentality, they don't even seem to care too much about the security of their content. :D

• Like Like x 4
  7. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

You'll find I believe that when an update is done it wont verify the files.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dtg need to report it to steam to deal with. Its not something that's in dtgs hands.

9. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

I recieved a mail from Alex, then replied to him. Now there are 2 people by DTG who are aware of this :D

10. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Hello folks. Quick reminder that any encouraging of piracy or pirating content will be removed, and those advocating it will have action taken accordingly. We've raised to our team to review. Please consider this thread of the conversation closed, or the thread will be locked (which I don't want to have to do, as it's a good discussion prior to this interjection).

• Like Like x 5
  11. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

Thanks, its just frustrating its been so long now (although we use to old routes mostly being abandoned for a few years post-release) here is a couple of threads with a breakdown of some of the SoS issues but there are a lot of other issues not mentioned in these:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/spirit-of-steam-feedback.58218/#post-536439
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/tsw-3-spirit-of-steam-pressure-problem.58845/#post-536809

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Sos is by far the worst at the moment in my opinion. It was playable atleast but with this new lighting it looks terrible.

• Like Like x 5
  13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

That is borderline defamation - whatever I may think of some of the content and refund it and will manually delete the pak file. I have actually brought the matter to DTG's attention several times but they/Steam not actioning the matter does not condone the practice. In any event at some point you will trigger an achievement which flags content you don't own and risk losing your whole Steam account.

I have reported your statement to the mods and suggest in the meantime you edit your post to withdraw it.

14. oldvern as a follow TSW Player since the OG TSW u should know this Dovetail will always be dovetail they will never get to the bottom of fixing the real issues like the NPC's and Memory issues and shutters because if they did care they would of put that 1stbefore any new routes and even a new TSW i play a sim call The Bus okay its in a beta stage its just not long ago gone to unreal 5 and i can say it had the same issue on unreal 4 as it does on tsw with lots of spikes and shutters and issues all over but now gone to unreal 5 its changed the game big time stutters are gone and detail and frame rate have jumped to good very good dovetail had the chance to wait 1 more year for TSW3 and do what was right and go to unreal 5 and bring us a real TSW sad to say after 5 years it will always be the same old same old me i just put up with it now but yeah i know where u stand with u had it with the issues no matter what we say it will never work they care for $$ and thats it

• Like Like x 2
  15. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

In 2021, " Rush Hour " arrived with enormous fanfare. As it turned out, one of the three Rush Hour routes never got the passenger numbers promised in the pre-release publicity and another never got the proper signalling.
    We've not seen any " Rush Hour " routes since. Harlem and BCC lack the elements needed to be given that sobriquet.
    So the whole concept of " Rush Hour " appears to have died on the vine.

Same thing seems to have happened with steam. One route with lots of issues and nothing since, despite it being hailed as the beginning of an era.

So where's the sense of direction? Whose hand, if any, is on the tiller?

I love this game, but I want some forward movement, a feeling that it's moving ahead. What we appear to have now is a sameness with each succeeding release, no new features or past new features that have withered away without explanation.

DTG and its partners can do great work. And some recent routes are fun and enjoyable. But consistency is lacking, And they need someone to give the game some imagination and forward momentum.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 19
  16. OldVern

This.

• Like Like x 2
  17. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

UE5 won't solve anything. It's not the cure to all the stutters and performance issues. Work would still need to be done to optimize everything and make sure everything works. The Bus likely required a ton of work even to make UE5 run smoothly. So saying it will solve all the stutters and performance issues is not true.

18. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

I think DTG is currently buried under all those bugs and issues, fixing most of them would require a lot of time, too much for them to afford, too much to stop working on new releases.

That's why I also think DTG will continue to release DLCs and patch the game with adhesive tape where possible as long as possible, until they will restart this franchise from the scratch, on new engine, without that enormous bugs and issues backlog.

Maybe then they will also re-arrange the development and QA processes in the way so many bugs will not get it's way to the final release. That automatic QA tool they've developed recently is a small progress in good direction, I think.

19. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

We were told that QA will be improved now how many times? Since how many years?

• Like Like x 5
  20. OldVern

Perhaps they simply need to have the courage to say, everything prior to BML is now legacy content and will stay as is - no fixes, no additional DLC, no rework - with a price reduction to reflect that. Maybe remove the oft reported broken scenarios from Journey mode but otherwise that's it, draw a line and we know where we stand. BML onwards, dig in and get fixing and improving all the issues that have been reported.

Anyhow following advice here and in other threads, I've taken the plunge and invested in HSC. Hoping not to be disappointed. That's it for the current sale, got plenty to occupy myself plus some TSC content I haven't even looked at yet.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Plus one from me, we are how many years in since heavy haul? To me with time things should always improve. Those of us who have seen simulation evolve over the years feel TSW is now just treading water and with bugs sinking. I have gone back to TSC as I can enjoy the eras I like and with quick drive have just a bit more randomness. Us all being locked out of TSW just adds to the frustration.

• Like Like x 1
  22. OldVern

Simrail I must admit is looking enticing, time to start banking up my Steam Wallet for that I think. The EU07 preview on Steam is looking grand, I remember that from the extended version of "Mechanik" all those years ago. I wonder how many other people recall playing that, the primary train was an EN57 EMU which had massively awesome sound. The whole thing coded by a couple of Polish students in their spare time.

mechanik.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  23. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I disagree, I think UE5 will certainly answer a lot of failings in TSW2/3. Especially as we were told that TSW in UE5 would require a rewrite and so not importing TSW3 which means what bugs that do appear in UE5 will be nice shiny new ones.

What annoys me is that DTG stated they were going quiet for a few months to address the issues in TSW2 which most people were OK with, I certainly was. Only for DTG to reveal TSW3, which is TSW2 with a few more bells and whistles. What DTG could easily have done is just upgraded TSW2 and then next year or the following year go for the complete re-write in UE5.

Just about everyone on the forum would be much happier with that and DTG could post updates every now and then to show how UE5 was coming on. No dates (not that we ever get them) but just the odd screenshot where you never know DTG might get some valuable feedback. But no they feel the need to make a fast buck with a 'new' version which is anything but 'new'.

Of course they have to make money and they would of done so with new and updated routes. DTG must think they are on the right strategy and perhaps they are making money but at what cost in the long run?

• Like Like x 7
  24. chieflongshin

Tsw4 on ue5 totally rewritten

community in uproar that dlc can't be used.

Genius

• Like Like x 4
  25. rennekton#1349

Exactly, shiny new ones that could end up breaking the game like those in the current rendition of tsw. red light issues, derails, save game that dtg are looking at, but still ongoing. There would still be performance issues, etc. At the end of the day, there will be issues. But just cuz you move to ue5 doesn't mean a better game. Just my opinion, so don't come after me. Dtg still have to put a ton of effort in to make tsw a "perfect game". Just moving to ue5 isn't enough tbh.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

UE4 was released in April 2014 and had gone through several years of bugfixes and updates before CSX Heavy Haul was released. UE5 has been out less than 8 months. Do you want the DTG devs further splitting their time in dealing with a young UE5's quirks and bugs in addition to TSW's? I say let the big AAA publishers who have to use the latest and greatest to compete with each other, and who have the manpower to do so, worry about it. Then maybe for TSW4 or 5, when UE5 is showing the fruits of others' labor on it, DTG can look at upgrading.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

FYI: Those who want to see a magic bullet in a UE upgrade are invited to look at Epic's UE bug tracker:

https://issues.unrealengine.com/

In addition to the fixed bugs, you'll see an enormous number of bugs with labels like "Open", "Backlogged","Won't Fix". Many of those, as well as many fixed bugs, sat for years. It's not only UE's devs that have to deal with them; it's anyone who develops using UE.

• Like Like x 1
  28. dhekelian

We are sort of on the same page. I'm not saying DTG jump on UE5 right now quite the opposite. There was no need for TSW3 it is obvious that they could of just updated TSW2 like they promised and then late next year or the year after if UE5 has a high adoption rate (which it should) then DTG could put all their efforts into TSW4.

Most of the bugs we see in TSW3 will not be fixed imo otherwise as they would have by now. The only way we will see a better TSW is when they move to UE5 when it is ready. Some are already saying the stuttering is gone in UE5 and other bugs we are seeing now. Obviously we are never going to be bug free but if we get a TSW that is more playable in UE5 (when the time is right) then that is a win, win no?

• Like Like x 1
  29. dhekelian

Not if done right. And by that I mean no stuttering, Rush Hour works, No Red light bugs, Save function ETC If those things were addressed and even the adding of Loco's to existing routes I would buy it and I haven't got TSW3 yet. Hell I'll even buy it if we got a proper GWE!

But if your saying your happy to stick with all the bugs in TSW3 then as DTG keep reminding us 'you don't have to buy it'.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  30. arek#2842

Sure, but then they would missed all that money they earned and are earning right now for selling TSW3.

For some of us TSW3 might be just "TSW2 with fluffy clouds and ubrellas", but for DTG it's probably a nice piece of revenue.

31. rennekton#1349

Only if done right. Dtg don't have a great track record when it comes down to the quality of the routes and having the same bugs in routes that take a long time to get fixed. If they are willing to actually put in the effort to fix the bigger issues like red lights, save game, derails, improve performance so there are no stutters, be consistent in their route quality, then yes, it would be a win. Whether it actually happens is another question.

• Like Like x 1
  32. dhekelian

And you not think DTG would jump at the chance to release a new version where they can redo old routes? It would be a good cash cow for them. I don't want TSW4 next week but in 1 or 2 years.

I'm also the type of person that hates upgrading just for the sake of it, I still play F04. But these bugs in TSW3 will never be addressed imo and this alongside the woeful hardware support and of course if DTG are upto the task then UE5 could be a winner for us and DTG IF done properly.

33. chieflongshin

I guess my experience of tsw3 whilst not perfect is not half as bad as you believe. Does it stutter, not loads, is there bugs, some, does it work sufficiently enough for me at the moment , yes.

I have it dialled in now after more fettling than I would like to run between 60-90fps with minimal stutters at this present time. Could this change, of course

• Like Like x 1
  34. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

If DTG ever does move to UE 5 or 5.1 or whatever number it may eventually be, I think a complete fresh start is needed. It seems far too many issues are carrying over from one game to the next and these are just adding to the seemingly enormous list of issues that need addressing, but without any real resource to do so. The fact fixes come out and break things that weren’t broken is one step forward two steps back.

• Like Like x 2
  35. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The time it is taking to make the TSW 3 version of the PS5 DLC limit fix available is getting, quite frankly, ridiculous. How long is it going to take to get TSW 4 sorted when that eventually (inevitably) materialises?

There is still the issue of large portions of Peninsula Corridor timetables being missing, with seemingly no urgency to address it and to update us.

I can’t really bring myself to play the game anymore. It takes ages to load on PS5 (why?), and by the time it has loaded, all remaining enthusiasm left to play has gone. Most of the time, I might do a quick twenty minute run on something and then off goes the PS5.

I was really looking forward to driving the 323 on the Birmingham route, but I just can’t justify spending anymore money on TSW. With work and so little playtime available, it really might be the end of my TSW love/hate relationship. Life goes on.

• Like Like x 4
  36. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

the issues seem to be magnified in TSW3 compared even to TSW2, it really seems that making it a new version was a mistake and makes any solutions look even further off. I am now thinking the announcement and stream next week will not be new content but a new approach, will be interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  37. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

One of the things that's really bothered me is DTG didn't even bother trying to "stabilize" TSW2, draw a line, and then go that's it its TSW3 now. No, they just decided to go full steam ahead on TSW3, lie to us about what they were doing for 4 months, and release it.
    So here we are months after TSW3 released and not one update to TSW2 has been pushed out and the best they have is "we hope to get at least one update out by end of year, maybe, possibly, cross your fingers".

My plan has been to finally buy TSW3 in the Christmas sale after I have some gift cards, but I keep reading people finding the same mistakes being made and DTG has essentially gone silent except for JD and Alex saying they've logged the reports, and its making me really question whether I want to continue with this franchise.

IIRC, DTG turned a decent profit last year. A) I'm curious to see how 2022 shaped up for them, and B) what they should've done is taken that profit and hired a dedicated team of engineers to solely get after the big bug fixes. Since its not feasible to stop new development for bug fixing (which is what's really needed at this point), they really need a team of people who's sole purpose is bugs and nothing else - no features, no making content on par with the current game, bugs and bugs only. The existing teams could then focus on the less critical bug fixes and maybe, just maybe they'd start making a dent in their bug list.

• Like Like x 6
  38. OldVern

I wouldn't bet real money on that! Seems to me DTG as a company is top heavy with management and PR people, but not those who can get down and dirty with the actual code.

• Like Like x 4
  39. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

False: there have been at least three updates pushed out for TSW2 since TSW3 launched, albeit console only.

Cheers

40. Jpantera

I bought Konstanz Villigen for TSC last night, £13.00 in the sales I think. Came with quite a few more bits of Stock than a TSW route and after half an hour was convinced I wouldn't be re installing TSW anytime soon.

TSW needs a two prong approach both working in harmony but focused solely on its own issue.

1) Bugs/sub par releases, things such as missing fences should be easy to fix. Technical bugs maybe harder but the community is getting more frustrated. These need urgent attention but seemingly queue up and take years to be resolved in some cases.

2) Creative seems to have no consistency for UK routes at least, 2 commuter routes have released with BR built traction but set in recent times meaning 2 of the UKs busiest stations look like ghost towns. Ruins immersion. Then SoS which comes out and again can be a very quiet experience than what it should be. Why Steam wasn't just a DLC for West Somerset I don't know. The German content does far better with layering and subs.

I had a go of the SimRail prologue last night. My PC coughed a bit but overall I was very impressed when the shunter radio went for a brake test! Proper railway ops and will watch with interest.

I continuously beat the drum that DTG need to better because I want them to. I just feel now that they don't need to if TSW makes enough money in its current form then those of shouting for content and fixes will just get lost in the next round of DLC releases.

• Like Like x 5
  41. arek#2842

C'mon man:), it's true there were 3, but seriously it was not fixing any bugs, but:
    1. First was the Add-on Manager
    2. Second was a fix for an issues introduced with Add-on Manager
    3. Third was a fix for the issues caused by the 2nd patch :D
    So 3 uodates, all relates with Add-on Manager, while we are still waiting for Pres Crew updates and wharever else is possible.

• Like Like x 3
  42. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, hardly a update worth talking about

• Like Like x 3
  43. arek#2842

Exactly!
    If it's selling, why bother to invest more time and money to lift the quality?
    No reason.

• Like Like x 1
  44. arek#2842

For me being on PS4, where the Add-ons Manager is as much needed as driving wheel in the train, I simply consider it as no patches for TSW2 since TSW3 release.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Exactly, that is more than "not one update".

Cheers

46. OldVern

It's a great route, I bought the extended version to Hausach a few months ago. Should really spend some more time on it. The DB BR189 electric is very nice too, much better than the screeching Traxx things we have in TSW. Sigh, if only TSC could support full timetable operation, we could bin TSW tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  47. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Biggest problem with TSC is that all default rolling stock (meaning "not 3rd party $30 addon locos/trains") have garbage physics.

48. Jpantera

TSC has many more issues also. The dispatcher is possibly more sketchy than the TSW one. The one thing it has though is freedom. I can edit quick drives, free roams and scenarios that come with routes or make new ones. Over time I have built up the stock with sales purchases. It could be time for something or maybe someone new. The Simrail I mentioned earlier is one to watch. I suspect DTG will naturally now just chase a market which generally shouts EMU, WCML, ToC, new stuff etc ands leaves us who are wanting a more visceral immersion and maybe more retro experience behind.

• Like Like x 1
  49. TSCis very good try playing with a high end PC and RW Enhancer 2 and say its trash then i swear u all just come here to cry just shut up for once

50. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

It would be nice if DTG had something like this so there was more visibility into issues that have been raised, their status, if it's been decided they wont be fixed etc.