Upcoming Release Master The Express!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Jan 12, 2023.

1. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

[​IMG]

Take on modern Scottish traction with the ScotRail Class 385 EMU between Scotland’s two biggest cities, Train Sim World 3: ScotRail Express: Edinburgh - Glasgow – coming January 26th!

This modern electric multiple unit will form the rolling stock for Train Sim World 3’s first release through our Partner Programme – Train Sim World 3: ScotRail Express: Edinburgh - Glasgow, developed by Rivet Games.

Read it all in our announcement article or using the direct link:
    https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/articles/article/master-the-express

[​IMG]

Preview Stream Q&A Thread:
    If you'd like to ask us anything about the route and rolling stock, please head to our dedicated Q&A forum thread for the Edinburgh-Glasgow route, in which we'll gather as many as we can to answer in the live stream.

• Like Like x 31
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Looks nice, great to hear there will be Ai trams at Edinburgh.

Good to hear you can choose whether to have the announcements or not. As a regular train traveller its the last thing I want to hear on my day off!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 9
  3. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to PIS announcements

• Like Like x 14
  4. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Excellent

5. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Oooh, a friend and I were scouring google street view for evidence of the former station in Winchburgh the other day as she was viewing a house there the other week. We found what looked like stairs down to the platforms outside some 15 year old houses at the bottom of a country lane labelled "Station Road" next to a new development. Now we know it's the route heading to Queen Street, I wonder if we'll be able to see some of those remnants when coming out of the tunnel there.

6. Bradley

But does anything layer layer into the route? The article says nothing

• Like Like x 8
  7. ApollonJustice

ApollonJustice Well-Known Member

Looks nice! I'll get it as soon as the addon-manager is out.

• Like Like x 3
  8. SteveRail

SteveRail Well-Known Member

Bring it on!! It would have been great to have the Stirling branches but looking forward to this one as my local line and one I use regularly.

Pictures so far look pretty good!

• Like Like x 4
  9. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

Looks like an easy decision to add this to my collection. Exciting!

• Like Like x 6
  10. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

Looks amazing! Really looking forward to drive that beauty on the route, great job! :D

11. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

This is the most excited I've been for a route! And we're getting PIS announcements? I can die happy now. It can't be understated how huge that is for immersion. Fingers crossed they could implement the technology for Bakerloo in the future, as the lack of PIS is a major immersion killer on that route for me.

Shame there seems to be no Scotrail HST, but the route won't look too dead with just the 385. I'm still hoping they're maybe saving it for a surprise in the preview, or maybe a future DLC.

• Like Like x 11
  12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

There isn't anything that could layer in

13. mikec1701d

mikec1701d Active Member

I’d speculated that it was the full route between Edinburgh and Glasgow so I’m happy to see that it is.

I work on trains out of Waverley so can’t wait to see how’s it’s been recreated in TSW3.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Just one train, and one with a tiny front window. So... any layers and substitution that allow us to drive other trains on this route? And will we see the Class 385 on any other routes in our collection?

• Like Like x 3
  15. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

If we have TGVs and Jubilees layering in on SEHS, I can't imagine there's nothing to come up with to make Edinburgh-Glasgow a little more interesting. Lets be honest, just one train is a bit boring, isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Exciting. Depending on whether the stream shows anything majorly wrong, this might just be a day one purchase. I was very impressed with IoW 2022, I hope this ups the ante even more.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bradley

Freight? Rail tours?

• Like Like x 4
  18. solicitr

Rivet seem to specialize in one-train routes.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Aaaand once again a preview two days before release, so no fixes can make it in time... is this being done on purpose?

"Those wishing to make use of the Class 385 on Cathcart Circle can do so using Scenario Planner."
    Is Scenario Planner becoming a "Get out of Jail" card, so nothing extra needs to be done with the rolling stock? Not necessarily limited to this route, none of the new DLC stock can be driven freely in the Training Centre without the use of S.P., but we finally have a train that could make Glasgow Central on CCL busier... too bad... use scenario planner... but that's not timetable...

• Like Like x 28
  20. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Honestly this route is fine with just the 385. It's pretty much the only train that operates on this route. The HST operates in parts though, so fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. zorbsie#9738

zorbsie#9738 Well-Known Member

This looks great. Didn't see it in the article, but did a google search for route length. Should be around 72km, not bad at all. Will be picking this one up for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Bradley

Scenario planner is rubbish, you can only have 20 services

• Like Like x 8
  23. solicitr

Again: new trains can't layer into older routes, unless the older route gets rebuilt.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. rennekton#1349

No to both questions. The article mentioned nothing about layers and/or subs.

25. SteveRail

Would be nice to get an HST in the Inter7City livery. Whilst they don’t operate Edinburgh to Glasgow, they do run along the line as far as Stirling and are seen regularly in both Waverley & Queen Street as well as being maintained at the Haymarket depot. This would also allow stock moves between Haymarket & Glasgow.

Otherwise there’s not much else that operate along this line(as far as existing trains in the game go)so one train is fine for the actual route. Maybe some freight too.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  26. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

I hope the Edinburgh-Glasgow services aren't the only playable services, otherwise three of the eight intermediate stations mentioned won't be stopped at by playable services.

Also, where's the roadmap?

• Like Like x 2
  27. rennekton#1349

it will probably be released soon or in a couple hours since the stream isn't until later.

28. solicitr

Good question. Text Roadmaps almost invariably come out the morning of an evening roadmap stream.

29. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I would rather not see layers if they are unrealistic, otherwise you get situations like the WCL whose layers are unbelievable unrealistic and do not get close to representing other traffic on the route.

It wouldn't be impossible for a Jubilee to be seen on a steam railtour in Kent anyway.

• Like Like x 3
  30. theorganist

The roadmap usually comes out around 4pm UK time.

31. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

West Cornwall has a decent selection of trains you can use.

And it's not like DTG doesn't do one-train routes, like Cathcart for example. And routes like Harlem, LIRR and London Underground don't really have a lot of variety either. Although loco DLC doubles the available trains on these routes...

• Like Like x 2
  32. Bradley

No it isn’t, Bahamas actually has visited kent within the past year and has done before so, actually it visited in November 2022 so seems you know nothing

33. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I quite like WCL, including the layers. Perhaps the game needs an option to disable any unrealistic layers to keep both groups happy.

• Like Like x 4
  34. theorganist

I would brush up on your comprehension skills before being rude. If you read again what I said, I said it "wouldn't be impossible for a Jubilee to be seen on a steam railtour in Kent"!

• Like Like x 15
  35. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

4 o'clock

36. theorganist

Yes I agree with that and have suggested it before, I was told some time ago that DTG had mentioned it but I can't find out anything about it. I think the layers would be fine if they were selectable.

37. trainsUK

trainsUK Member

Been a long time for the official announcement, but glad it’s here now! Can’t wait to get driving on this one

• Like Like x 1
  38. trainsUK

trainsUK Member

Also interesting release is on a Thursday this time

• Like Like x 1
  39. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Oh my god this looks excellent!!! :D

There’s so much amazing stuff in this release. The long wait for the announcement since the teasers began almost a month ago was definitely worth it!

40. deeuu#6908

deeuu#6908 Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing how the PIS announcements work in game.
    I am interested, but for me that will be £90 chucked at TSW routes in two months.....

• Like Like x 3
  41. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

Another excellent route for tsw.
    Does anyone know how much services there will be?

• Like Like x 1
  42. johnbirch#4603

johnbirch#4603 Active Member

I totally agree. Scenario planner if no substitute at all for a properly designed in game scenario or (above all) timetable option. To offer this as a selling point is, frankly, lazy. You'd better not mentioning it at all as it when I read that it really was a bucket of cold water over my excitement for the route.

I mean - seriously - with so much effort put into the new train and the route, how much extra effort would be needed to add the option of a few rail tours and the ability to use the 385?

"But it wouldn't be realistic"
    Well, provide and option to turn the lack of "realism" off for those concerned about such things!! Some of us would happy to sacrifice a small level of unreality for bit of extra bustle and variety.

• Like Like x 11
  43. Bradley

Actually for you information, I am dyslexic, and I may have read it wrong. No need to be a douche

• Like Like x 1
  44. SteveRail

Real timetable is every 30 mins for the Express services. There are other services inbetween so be interesting to see if we get any of those

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. theorganist

I think this needs to be repeated to DTG ad infinitum. Selectable layers would solve the conundrum. For example of WCL I wouldn't mind seeing the class 101 on the St Ives branch and the class 47 on parcels services but that is it, that might be too complicated to arrange in any case. However I notice there is a patch removing the class 40 and 45 so clearly the community can find a partial solution.

It is a shame that the 3 car class 385 won't sub in on the Cathcart route but it would need a new timetable I believe and as it isn't a Rivit route maybe that isn't feasible

• Like Like x 5
  46. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

The deciding factor for me on this route will definitely be the timetable. It's got to be representative of the full real-life timetable (including partial services that are heading off towards Dunblane etc.) and more critically must use real (not autocalculated) working arrival / departure times throughout.

The additional features (PIS announcements and AI trams) look really positive too. I would also like to see some railtours if possible to mix things up a little.

Finally, I must agree with those who are saying that it's not acceptable for DTG to use the scenario planner as a get out of jail free card instead of taking the time to update previous routes (in this case Cathcart Circle) with the newer trains. Ideally I'd like to see the 385 occasionally substitute for the 314 to provide a bit of variety. Ultimately I don't want to have to use the very limited scenario planner to set up a basic run - I'd like to just jump in and play with the timetabled services.

• Like Like x 7
  47. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Some easily pleased on here, is it Falkirk High route only and is it one train. Gutted if so.

• Like Like x 1
  48. solicitr

Rebuilding Cathcart's entire timetable (for free)? A LOT of work.

• Like Like x 2
  49. solicitr

When have DTG EVER done that?

50. gogglesguy

gogglesguy Well-Known Member

It's a new year, no more fixes will be needed!