Winter Trees In Trans Pennine Have Leaves

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JT_29O5, Dec 21, 2018.

1. JT_29O5

JT_29O5 New Member

This is a known issue but I thought I would submit a formal bug report supported with a screenshot and actual location evidence. The RSN route appears to be the only one where winter conditions are properly simulated by the Speedtree models.

I have heard a rumour it something to do with the fictional temperature, perhaps suggesting Germany is set in the game to be the only area that gets cold enough for the leaves to fall. Clearly that's not the case and either way it makes no sense as the Service Mode set up screen tells you the simulated temperature, and Transpennine is just as cold as RSN.

So in this example I selected to spawn on foot in service mode on the TransPennine route. My environment pre-selects were:
    Winter Clear
    11.50am
    Deighton Station

The stated temperature was 13.1 degrees.

You can see from the screen shot that the trees look like they would in late summer / early autumn. They look like they are all deciduous trees to me so they should be displayed as bare trunk and branch.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

This is a TSW core issue and affects all routes. It is not confined to the TPE route.

I can think of two issues which may be causing the strange behaviour:
    1.) For whatever reason, the ‘winter/autumn/spring tree's aren’t activating depending on season.
    2.) Perhaps DTG have only the ‘summer’ tree variant (though I think Speedtree comes with all variants by default?)

• Like Like x 1
  3. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

So the question is what did DTG do on RSN to get trees without leaves that they didn't do on TPE?

4. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

If you look at that picture a bit longer, is seems to get stranger still - it seems like a few of the trees in the far left and the one on the right have the correct appearance like on RSN. I would go out on a limb here and say most routes have the feature, as the NEC route had barren trees in one of the GP38-2 tutorials. Would you mind doing the same experiment with the 'snow level' turned up? I'd be curious to see that.

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

It's the same in the entire game. Kind of spoils it for me. In Winter, I choose lots of snow, as it hides this annoying problem to some extent.

It looks like late summer.

Here's a random spawn in Acton Yard in Great Western Express.

Also... everyone seems to drive a red, or blue 6 series BMW :)

Attached Files:

6. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

It's just a reflection of the poor pay the staff receive. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

It only has been fixed in RSN, this bug is since the GWE release.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The problem does not exist on RSN, however autumn doesn’t work on RSN, and spring doesn’t work anywhere.

9. Pookeyhead

"
    Thank you for contacting us regarding Train Sim World.

We are aware of the current limitation of the tree models within the game and are hoping to improve the model's functionality in future versions."

It appears that no fix will be forthcoming.

10. Anthony Pecoraro

Not necessarily.

11. Pookeyhead

I hope you're correct. In the meantime, I only play Winter with snow, as it hides the problem to some extent. Ot just really bugs me that you can't have that bare branched winter look.

12. JT_29O5

JT_29O5 New Member

This issue still exists. However following today's release of the BR Heavy Freight Pack DLC for the Transpennine route, I've noticed that in the scenario called Standedge Struggle (set in mid January, clear skies with lying snow) all the foliage is behaving like it should in the winter with leaves absent from trees and bushes. It looks great! You can see it in a few of the teaser pictures for the DLC which I guess were taken from this scenario. However, if you go into Service mode and set up any winter conditions, all the foliage has the leaves back on looking ridiculous for the simulated season. Devs, has this helped to narrow the issue down to Service Mode? Clearly you were able to take steps to get the environment behaving correctly when you set up the scenario so we know it can work on this route. Please can we fix this now? I don't particularly want to have to keep playing the same scenario over and over just so I can get the right winter look.Thanks

13. Anthony Pecoraro

The reason is that the dates in service mode aren’t set correctly yet, but in scenarios you can set any date that you want.

14. JT_29O5

JT_29O5 New Member

Interesting, but the two latest German routes don't have the same issue. I just ran a test whereby I set up a service in every route in TSW. In all cases I selected the Cloudy Winter preset and put the snow slider to zero. In all but the RSN and MSB routes the deciduous trees / bushes all incorrectly had leaves. Yet in all cases, the map screen after you have made your environment selections states 2nd January. So while it appears that they are all using the fictional winter date of 2nd January, only the two recent German routes have the vegetation reacting correctly. Are you suggesting that it's just a case of a dev remembering to set up the calendar correctly in service mode in these two German routes but it was forgotten about in all the others?

15. Anthony Pecoraro

Didn’t you notice that the German routes have no autumn leaves? ;)

16. JT_29O5

JT_29O5 New Member

I see what you mean. Well I hope this is not at the bottom of the to do list because it really breaks the immersion and it seems a shame given one of the things unreal is proclaimed for is the environmental effects.

• Like Like x 1