Baseless Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by raildan, Aug 16, 2018.

1. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but you just come across as someone who is determined to find something to complain about. You admit you haven't purchased a route for nearly a year yet have knowledge of them all even though you clearly have no intention of purchasing any of them. I get the feeling you have little intention of purchasing any more DLC and just want to find faults, which you seem to go to great lengths in doing.

What was the problem with NTP, a scenic route between two major cities set in a different period with three new loco's and new carriages, surely that was value for money, oh yes you complained IIRC that they should have set it in modern times as it would sell better,odd considering your avatar is a BR blue diesel shunter. You seem determined to find fault, even when they fix bugs you complain.

You seem more concerned about DTG's finances more than anything else.

TSW is not perfect and there are aspects of TSW that frustrate me but if I came fresh to the forum without any knowledge of TSW, reading your posts I would think it was a broken, bug ridden, unplayable sim and that DTG were just out to "rip customers off". Whereas from my point of view and I am certain of others that it is certainly not the case as I am getting a lot of enjoyment out of it, and I am not a casual gamer.

• Like Like x 16
  2. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

Ok, you say not a casual gamer, nor am I. If you don't play the game causually it is unplayable. Examples:

• GWE, no flashing yellow signals. Each time you see a yellow signal near a junction you have no idea whether the next signal is a steady yellow or if it's a red, so you have to assume every yellow is followed by a red which means you end up running late for no reason.
    • RT, the PZB is broken. There's no way to drive RT with the PZB turn on or else you'll get brake applications from no where and end up late or quite through frustration.
    • WSR, the timetable is broken. The time allowed between stops is insufficient and in some instances is less than in the real timetable, that's despite the real timetable being operated by Type 3/4/5 diesels not Class 09s. Again, you'll be finishing all scenarios late or if in the Class 47, waiting ages for the Class 09 to arrive.

I never complained about NTP being set in the 1980s, I made the observation that it was an interesting choice given it wasn't the largest market era-wise. I much rather have a mix of eras than everything in the 2010-2020 period, which DTG have favoured given the it's the biggest market.

I do complain when they fix bugs if they haven't fixed something they suggested they were. An example is the Air Flow Meter on the Class 66. It's not possible to know when the brakes have been released on the rear wagon of a consist as the Air Flow Meter doesn't work correctly. The Class 66 also now has a top speed of 200mph, yet apparently the physics were all fixed.

I care about DTG's finances because they cancelled FSW and a lot of people spent a lot of money buying DLC on the assumption that the game would be around for a long time to come. DTG's statements gave no indication that there was any trouble, so the only way to know about the health of the game/company is through the finances.

We're at a point now where if Brexit causes the withdrawal of the VGTR, that may be the end of TSW. I created a thread regarding this and asked what we as a community could do to help ensure VGTR isn't withdrawn and it ended up being downvoted and locked.

Perhaps I'm wasting my time and people would rather I just leave.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Don't leave. Some people just can't handle such heavy conversation.

• Like Like x 2
  4. theorganist

You shouldn't leave and you should say what you want but I don't know what you are trying to achieve!

It is nothing to do with "heavy" conversation just the negativity all the time.

I have seen posts from others and had the same with some of my posts which you would call positive, i.e. merely stating you enjoy a particular route, downvoted, what is behind the mentality there? People have also been basically told to stop being positive or stop sticking up for DTG!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  5. animalkosmik

animalkosmik Well-Known Member

EWS Class08!??? :D
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  6. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

br182.png
    This was added to SteamDB yesterday before being quickly deleted so I would presume the two encrypted dlc on SteamDB are the DB BR 182 (for Ruhr Sieg Nord and Main-Spessart Bahn maybe since Rapid Transit has problems with PZB) and the EWS Class 08 from the leaked game files (presumably for Great Western Express, since Northern Trans-Pennine is set over 10 years before EWS existed).

Neither of these locomotive seem to add much to TSW as we already have modern German electric locomotives and the Class 09 for WSR. Adding something different like a diesel shunter for RSN and MSB would expand the game significantly with the un-electrified sidings becoming accessible. A freight dlc for Northern Trans-Pennine such as the Class 37 or Class 56 would also be better than a Class 08 and would expand TSW much more.

• Like Like x 6
  7. NorthRail1

Following the link to the website on that image, I also found this image:
    Untitled5.png
    This shows the Class 47 from Northern Trans-Pennine with the Mark 1 coaches from West Somerset Railway. The image seems to be taken outside the Huddersfield tunnels on Northern Trans-Pennine.

• Like Like x 2
  8. theorganist

There has been a mention of a NTP freight pack so maybe it just isn't as imminent as we thought and maybe the same goes for a possible diesel add on for the MSB route? An 08 for GWE would be quite nice to see as we could have some good shunting scenario's/services and maybe it shows they haven't quite given up on the older routes.

• Like Like x 2
  9. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Uh... hold on, what?

That's quite a lot to speculate on all of the sudden. I kinda presumed some of those DLC were abandoned, especially after Rostock wasn't released, but perhaps not.

I also have to agree with NorthRail- these aren't the best options. I guess we'll see...

10. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

The 08 on the GWE route would be pretty useless. The only work I can see for it which happens in real life is hauling Sleeper stock into Paddington, which we obviously don’t have in the game.

You could probably get away with a few shunting scenarios, with shunting the HST sets around different ‘roads’ at Old Oak Common, but that’s about it.

It would be more much suitable for NTP or WSR I think.

• Like Like x 4
  11. raildan

Well, we don't know 100% that it hasn't been canceled, you know? It could still be a canceled project that got far enough into development to have a wagon modeled for it. I don't think DTG would cancel a project that late, though- seems it would just be easier to release it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fabrizio520

Fabrizio520 Guest

DB BR 182 again in SteamDB.

• Like Like x 1
  13. NorthRail1

br182achievements.png
    Well the DB BR 182 dlc is definitely real, question is which route(s) is this for? I would presume that an official announcement will be made soon since it can easily be seen on steamDB. Reaching the maximum speed for the fourth achievement would be interesting since the maximum speed is 230 km/h and the maximum speed on German routes in TSW is 160 km/h.

• Like Like x 2
  14. NorthRail1

Perhaps it could be a multiple livery dlc for the Class 08 with EWS, BR Blue and maybe BR Green as well to allow for it to be used across all the routes. This would be a much better dlc concept than having the Class 08 just for GWE or having an EWS loco on NTP or WSR.

• Like Like x 3
  15. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

Skoda EuroSprinter?

16. Digital Draftsman

I don't think a 182 will go down well, mainly because MSB has a significant amount of unelectrified track and RSN has some unelectrified yard track too, so a diesel is required. Not to mention MSB basically had the same two locomotives as included with RSN, yes there are minor technical differences with one of them, but overall very similar. So to have a new electric locomotive pretty much ready to go and not include it in MSB makes it seem like it was originally going to be included with MSB, but was then cut to be sold separately.

• Like Like x 3
  17. raildan

I would think it would have originated as an RT doc, then a loco for Rostock, which was cancelled somewhere, and now a bit of an orphan loco DLC. Not necessarily made for MSB- doesn't fit very well there. I mean, it works, but a BR 151 or just a switcher would make more sense as a new MSB loco.

18. raildan

Well, there goes the idea that that was somehow a different DLC shrouded under a different name- those achievements are quite clear.

I remember a few weeks ago (in response to a complaint about the lack of new locos in MSB) they Dmitri mentioned a new loco DLC for both RSN and MSB in the works. I think this is it.

I'm guessing it will be in Railion livery, they haven't really strayed that far copyright-wise. But MRCE could work, too- they have that one hints already.

Either way, I'm sure the community will fill us in. Prepare for some neat Austrian routes when we get the editor, I guess.

19. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what does not exist at DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  20. raildan

It exists, it's just... terrible. If there was none, it would be even worse. They probably have one guy play the route for like an hour lol (exaggerated)

• Like Like x 1
  21. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

I wanted to change my Dovetail Live profile pic today, and spotted something interseting on the selectable profile pics (see attachement, I have no idea how to include pictures inline). Looks like a steam loco is heading our way :) (bottom left in the pic)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  22. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

RSSLO have released a lot of DLC for TSx recently (as in within the last 12 months) so wouldn't surprise me if they had some input into TSW routes forthcoming.

23. NorthRail1

That image also appears as locked in the Train Simulator section for selecting a profile pic so is probably just the default locked image. The last thing DTG said about steam locomotives was that they are very difficult to model in TSW and aren't ready yet. I doubt that this will change any time soon. Maybe once the editor is out they will have more time to focus on creating steam locomotives.

• Like Like x 4
  24. theorganist

I hope it won't be too long, I am really looking forward to driving one (hopefully a Hall or Manor) on the WSR as well as on the main line. It will be interesting to see how they are captured in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

The steam loco profile pic has been there for a while. Don't expect a steam loco soon. Simulating a steam loco properly is incredibly complex.

• Like Like x 8
  26. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Producing a Steam train with accurate sounds and physics and making it behave in the intended manner is a whole different kettle of fish.

Just getting the steam particles to look realistic and behave right is probably a hard job in itself. Not to mention you have to achieve all this as well as maintaining an acceptable frame rate.

I think the earliest we’ll see a Steam Engine is in about 12 months time. But I wouldn’t bet on it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

Well, that's a shame :D
    On another note, can anybody figure out the meanig of "DUNO"?
    I was talking a walk in MSB and found a little house hidden between 2 tracks just after they split.
    You can walk through the door of that house, and inside is a grafitty saying "DUNO"
    I for one have absolutely no clue what that could mean, maybe it's just a little easter egg, maybe it's more. Anybod got an idea?
    (btw, if this is not the correct thread for this please tell, I thought it fit quite well)

Attached Files:

28. raildan

I think it's just a fun little Easter egg- probably some developer's name or something. There is another identical one hidden in the Aschaffenburg container yards, hidden quite nicely. I'm not telling you where it is, but the boards on top of certain containers are no mistake.

Come to think of it, mini Easter eggs like this and the donkeys (ask Anthony Pecoraro about that one) probably deserves a new thread.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Shukiii

It's probably a dev's signature. it says DUNC, not DUNO btw.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. raildan

I did some basic research, and yes, Railion BR 182's have been on MSB... around 2009. The time period of MSB is set after some station upgrades but before 2017, so this wouldn't completely fit... but, especially with the railion liveries 185's, it would fit in enough. I can't seem to see any evidence of 5hem on RSN, but nor can I find evidence of Doppelstock ever being used on it, so I wouldn't be surprised if Railion 182's were used on the route.

Private operators and leasing companies ha e used them more extensively in freight service through modern day. I found evidence of these on both routes. However, it seems like too much variety and too much licensing hassle for DTG to attempt. The only realistic private option for DTG is probably MRCE, which is already available in TS19- but the achievements clearly reference the name "BR 182" and MRCE just calls it what Siemens calls it- the ES 64 U2. So, it's probably for DB.

Also worth noting is these did run, coupled with Doppelstock, on RT while the Talent 2's were stil being delivered. So it may even be drivable on three routes.

Anyways... given that DTG likes to announce locomotive DLC on Thursdays and without hints, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was made official tomorrow, especially with the achievements in plain sight.

I know it doesn't add any horribly new experience to the game, but... neither did the last 2 locos, to be fair. This probably wasn't even intended to be released like this, it really does sound like it started as a DLC for RT, but probably isn't (or it is, but mostly for other routes also) anymore. We know this trend will eventually be broken because of the NTP freight DLC in the works.

I know the conversation on this thread has already drifted away from this topic, but this may be our last chance to make useless and futile guesses about random, meaningless details in this particular piece of content, so I had no real choice! (That was a joke, by the way)

• Like Like x 4
  31. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

DTG needs Skoda and Siemens license?

32. Digital Draftsman

How's this for rampant speculation:

Rostock to Schwerin was going to be the 3rd German DLC called 'Hanse-Express'. 'Hanse-Express' was to include the BR 182, a Talent 2 (derived from the similar RT one) and a BR 294. The Laaers car wagen was to be used for the car train which is sometimes loaded at Rostock Seehafen Nord.

DTG decided to cancel the 'Hanse-Express' DLC, as being set in what was formally East Germany rather than West Germany (like RSN), too many new scenic assets were required. To save money and expedite creation of the next DLC, another route based on the recycled assets from RSN was created (MSB) and the BR 182, which was more or less complete, was to be sold as a loco DLC immediately after, despite being inappropriate for the recent German DLCs. There were issues with the BR 294 which halted its development, although MSB was created with provision for a diesel locomotive, the issues with the BR 294 were never resolved; The lack of a diesel locomotive is why MSB ended up with an advertised length shorter than RSN and became the second shortest route DLC overall.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. Shukiii

Considering that the BR 182 seems to have been in development shortly after RT already with no Rostock.pak in sight yet I doubt that. DTG chooses the route first and then the locos.

• Like Like x 1
  34. NorthRail1

What I think is more likely:
    • Since route DLC take a long time to create, there would not be time to cancel the 'Hanse-Express' DLC and create Main-Spessart Bahn and the 'Rostock' in the encrypted game files was probably to confuse anyone who managed to find that file or maybe a test file.
    • DTG got images of the DB BR 182 in February 2018, presumably at the same time as getting images for the Ruhr Sieg Nord locomotives. Presumably the 182 was originally intended as a DLC for Rapid Transit which was axed due to the problems with PZB. Since then, the 182 DLC has re-entered production as a freight loco for Ruhr Sieg Nord and Main-Spessart Bahn possibly. DTG may have decided to wait until after the Main-Spessart Bahn release to make the DLC more sell-able by being compatible with two routes instead of one.
    • It was mentioned on Discord that it is more difficult to get reference images for shunting locos such as the DB BR 294 which may mean that whilst this was planned the reference material couldn't be gathered so has been postponed indefinitely for now. The diesel sections of Main-Spessart Bahn were presumably built before this postponement or built in the hope that production on the DB BR 294 could start eventually.

• Like Like x 3
  35. raildan

No, I they don't need licenses for manufacturers. If they did, though, they at least already have a Siemens license, since they made the ACS-64.

36. Digital Draftsman

They do need a licence from rollingstock manufacturers. The shape of the locomotive is the interlectual property of the manufacturer and part of their 'brand,' thus permission is required. It's also the reason all the road vehicles in the game are generic looking, to include a Ford Focus even without badges/logos etc would still need permission from Ford as the shape of the car is part of their brand and IP.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  37. raildan

Ah, makes sense. I also remembered that the manufacturer's logo generally appears on the builder's plate of a locomotive and in slightly larger lettering on the ACS-64. Either way, though, they're still fine- they've made this loco in TSxx before.

38. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Where did you get this information from?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. raildan

Dude, the first line is literally "How's this for rampant speculation."

Though I think I'm personally following NorthRail1's theory- out of optimism, I guess. Both are fairly realistic.

• Like Like x 5
  40. raildan

By the way, small theory about this image: Perhaps it was taken early in NTP's development when the included coaches were not ready yet. The WSR coaches could have been early placeholders. I would assume that the other locos wouldn't have been finished yet at that point, ether, just the 47 since it was modified from the WSR one.

• Like Like x 2
  41. NorthRail1

It was mentioned yesterday on Discord that that was an in development screenshot from August 2018.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. NorthRail1

unknown.png
    I found this image on Discord (not my own image) which shows the achievements for the DB BR 182 dlc. The second achievement refers to an 'S-Bahn Sprinter' scenario, which hints that this is definitely for Rapid Transit. I think this would be a huge mistake for Dovetail Games if a rework for the signalling and PZB on Rapid Transit does not come at the same time as this DLC.

• Like Like x 6
  43. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 5
  44. theorganist

It looks nice. The article doesn't mention anything about the signalling/PZB being fixed which doesn't mean anything yet I guess. It would seem odd not to have it fixed if they are introducing new DLC.

45. raildan

Well, as a bit of retrospective, it looks like we should have paid more attention to the destination boards in MSB. The RT destinations are already there.

As I said on the announcement thread, I hope the team that made the new diesel physics can now work on re-signalling RT.

• Like Like x 2
  46. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

They most likely aren’t the same people.

47. raildan

You can switch 'em out then. Still some extra time.

• Like Like x 2
  48. NorthRail1

Well hopefully the other DLC on SteamDB will be better than the one announced today. Something like the freight DLC for Northern Trans-Pennine or the diesel shunter for RSN/MSB would definitely be an improvement.

• Like Like x 3
  49. Fabrizio520

Fabrizio520 Guest

Which new DLC on SteamDB?

50. raildan

I'd expect it to be the NTP freight. I don't think they'd release 2 German loco DLC's in a row. Or maybe it's something else completely unexpected (maybe that class 08).