Outside Sounds In Cab At Random?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by J van E, Sep 26, 2017.

1. J van E

J van E Member

Frequently I suddenly hear the outside sound of the train I am driving while in the cab. Switching to an outside view and back again solves this. Bug...?

• Like Like x 6
  2. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

Same here, reproducible.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Hellomynameis

Hellomynameis New Member

It can't always be solved. It's been the case for me several times now that switching between inside and outside views does nothing, no matter how often you do it.

It once solved itself when driving under a bridge, though; but that could be coincidental. To me it would appear that, if the sound changes while driving, it can be solved by switching between inside and outside views, while if it changes while waiting in a large station (at least at the beginning of a game), it can't be solved (or in any case I haven't found a way to do so).

• Like Like x 4
  4. BailsBach

BailsBach New Member

Same here.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bug with the reverb effects, I have also had it fix itself when going under a bridge/somewhere where you would expect the game to do echoing. It's an interesting correlation, probably does mean something is up with the system at large.

6. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

Same issue. I also have another problem with the sound. If you walk into the train as a passenger the Sound of the Train gets quiet immediatly as if the doors were closed after doing one step into the train.
    To be honest I dont know if you can consider this a Sound feature that should be added or a Bug.

• Like Like x 1
  7. J van E

J van E Member

There is a bug with the sound: in the cab you usually also can't hear the engine and other sounds. Seems that as soon as you are inside the sounds are being cut off. When this will be fixed the problem you are describing will probably also be fixed automatically. I hope. ;)

8. class350

class350 Member

I second the reverb thing. Kind of. On the GWE route, the issue does not occur (no matter how hard I try to make it happen) at Reading. (Plz try yourself to confirm this) but it does happen at the London end. This makes me think it is maybe not reverb, but some ambient sound issue? Maybe the London "city sounds" corrupt the coding for the train sounds. Just my thoughts.

9. Darthtool

Darthtool Member

just registered to comment here, i have this problem too.. i lose the quieter cab sounds towards the london end of the GWR line.

Looking at the date this first was posted i guess dovetail are not concerned with fixing anything, just pumping out the Dlc's. will bear this in mind when deciding whether to purchase anything else from this developer.

10. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Having never experienced this so-called "bug", except, of course, while driving with a cab window or door open, -- well, there's nothing more to add.

11. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

It happens occasionally after you return to the cab after activating the outside cam. Also sounds can randomly get louder and quieter in the cab once you’ve reached a certain speed.

• Like Like x 2
  12. class350

class350 Member

Dtg have confirmed the issue lies within Unreal Engine 4, and the way it handles sound with your compiter's hardware. Basically if it is too strained, the cpu bottlenecks and the sound is what goes first. Because of this, dtg can not do anything. However, they should have realised this when building the game originally. It seems a particular combination of PC components must be 'fatal' for the game when dealing with cpu and performance, so people at the top end of the recommended spec likely will not experience this.

13. Darthtool

Darthtool Member

This is how it is for me too, only at the London end of the line does it occur with me, but not at all if i stay in cab view and not touch any of the doors/windows.

• Like Like x 1
  14. class350

class350 Member

I reckon we have similar hardware then. Nothing can be done really. With the exception of customer care, I love this game though. I'm considering upgrading my cpu, as I am really missing being abke to drive in tsw. I only made 2 successful runs on GWE in all the time it has been released. If you love the game, I'm afraid that's what you're all gonna have to do too. If anyone has this bug and meets or exceeds the recommended hardware set for TSW, please let me know.

15. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

I have an i5 cpu, 16gb ram, gtx1060 and get the same issue. No idea why.

16. 333talgo

333talgo Well-Known Member

I do not think the problem is related to the specifications of the computers. It usually happens when you put an external camera, or when you open a window or a door, leaving the external sound in the internal camera as well. Also, it seems that it does not happen in all the locomotives. For example, in my case I notice that the DB BR143 and the 185 works very well, while in the NTP I experience the problem again with the 47, 45 and the 101.

I hope the problem can be solved as it is quite annoying

• Like Like x 3
  17. Darthtool

Darthtool Member

i7 8700k (4.9 ghz)
    16gb ram
    gtx 1080 ftw
    x-fi extreme (pci ex)

if this is too low, what kind of computer where they aiming this release at exactly? the sound is glitchy as hell, but it all seems to be tied into broken Reverberation effects in the engine.. the same thing happened when i tried my onboard audio and a newer Sound blaster card on a second pc.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Darthtool

Darthtool Member

I am certain its a bug in the game, if i switch to outside then back to inside on the trans penine route around the manchester or leeds hub i get the problem, there 100%.. if i reload the save it goes away until i change views again or leave the station, if hardware was an issue it would be there all the time regardless.

• Like Like x 1
  19. londonmidland

This is definitely a software problem and *not* a hardware problem. More specifically it’s one of quite a few problems with the Unreal Engine sound software.

I don’t think Unreal Engine was designed to deal with multiple sound sources at once, hence why sometimes we get sounds not playing correctly or not at all in some cases.

The only way DTG can fix this issue is to purchase a separate sound system for UE4, and not use the default one.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

UE have a new audio system in UE4.20 and according to the write-up there's some sort of reverb option in UE4.21. How much better it is than the current sound system is another matter altogether.

Since DTG are currently using UE4.16 they would need to migrate to one of these later engines to make use of this functionality. The last article about the editor explicitly mentioned using 4.16.3 so I have my doubts that they will migrate any time soon,excluding testing, but happy to be proved wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Darthtool

Darthtool Member

the "Driving rain" scenario on the trans-penine route has the bug right from the start 100% re-producable.. frankly its starting to become irritating.

so without any sort of update to the Unreal engine there will be no fix? will DTG even acknowledge the issue?

• Like Like x 1
  22. class350

class350 Member

This is odd. About your hardware, I mean. You should contact dtg, making it clear you have more than sufficient hardware, and asking why, with the recommended hardware, you are experiencing a major bug that was not picked up during testing. And mwybe ask why others, quite possibly with hardware less then yours, are not experiencing this. I was almost willing to semi-forgive dtg if it was my computer that was incapable, but from what you say, I reckon this game is ridiculously unstable.

23. class350

class350 Member

By the way dtg worded their response, there will not be a fix for this unless unreal update their stuff. I can't see them doing that though, just for a developer worth such a small percentage of their market. I also planned on upgrading my desktop to reccomended specs, but If you (darthtool) with hardware much better than mine are also experiencing this, then I'll definitely save my money for the moment. I wouldn' know what to think if I splashed out several hundred dollars on new components, just to find out it made 0 difference.

24. class350

class350 Member

Can I ask what hardware you have? And would you mind doing a run on the GWE route, constantly opening and shutting doors, windows, and constantly swapping between inside and external views, especially on detailed and busy areas on the route? Just to see if you notice anything like what we have said, even if it is omly brief or temporary.

25. Railman

Railman New Member

I also have this problem on all the routes often after coming back from external camera to the cab and sometimes at random.

• Like Like x 1
  26. class350

class350 Member

What is your CPU?

27. Railman

Railman New Member

i7-4770K

28. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Ah this old bug, pity we're still talking about it after initial release, and it ruined the GWR route for me, it was OK staying in cab most of the time but it would appear sometimes when not leaving the cab as well, although once you step outside that's it!

Regards NTP, I don't get this problem on the 45 or 47 but I do on the 101 and the Mk2's occasionally, the way it seems to solve itself (for me anyway) is to stand up and sit down again, sound goes back to indoors!!

29. Ninetofive925

Ninetofive925 Well-Known Member

On GWE in the HST it almost always happens to me when leaving the seat or going to an external camera. Really a shame such an annoying bug is still in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  30. class350

class350 Member

Ok. Your cpu has better single core performace than dtg's reccomended i7-4790. It should therfore work as intended. I was consideing buying a new cpu, bu if it isn't actually going to fix the bug like dtg said it would, then I'll keep my curent one.
    Could you please ask dovetail why you are experiencing this issue with a cpu higher than the recomended, as I would love to know.

31. Louwe

Louwe Member

I have the problem too, the noise in the cabin is sometimes great but then suddenly 'drops' it down. It often happens when you pass a bridge, but also suddenly without a reason. I find that too bad because especially a diesel engine sounds nice, it happens on every route. Is there still hope or should I leave it. Indeed, it is already a long-term problem to see the first post.

• Like Like x 1
  32. class350

class350 Member

I really have no idea. Apparently it is a problem caused by sub-standard CPUs, but there are people here who have great cpus much better than the recommended ones and they still experience the problem. Even people using XBox have reported the problem-Isn't the hardware in that set? So you'd think it would be sufficient? Apparently not. I have no idea why it affects some and not others. I have now given up.

33. class350

class350 Member

Could someone who has a CPU higher than the recommended but still experiences this bug please contact dtg supprt and ask why? I would love to get to the bottom of this and know if it worth giving up or not

34. Louwe

Louwe Member

Oh, I have much more than what DTG specifies as maximum recommended hardware. The strange thing is that the problem does not always appear on the routes NTP, MSB and RT. It strikes me that when you want to drive a diesel locomotive, the problem often occurs as with the electric locomotives. But as described earlier, I lay down and enjoy the beautiful views and the other great additions that the game has.

35. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

Have Any of you guys played anything else with ue4? This problem isn't present, while some titles offer very amazing rich sound. Many sources, and different tones and reverb characteristics. Go ahead. Play a round of squad for example, or ww3 or sandstorm insurgency. Hardware and software issues are excuses to poor coding.

• Like Like x 2
  36. londonmidland

I think if it was another company that was experienced with the UE4 engine, half or these bugs and issues wouldn’t be present.

DTG are still pretty much learning their way around the engine. Poor coding is probably the biggest underlying issue that causes poor performance as well as things not working as they were intended to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. class350

class350 Member

For dtg's sake, I hope that the issue is a "one fix fixes all". Because if they have to implement any sort of fix into every single sound detail in everything individually, that's one hell of a task. Mind you, knowing dtg, if that's what faces them they'll simply not bother. Chances are they've already faced this, which is why they are so vague with any responses; they're hiding the fact that they've deemed it a hopeless case and moved on and moving the blame elsewhere. To me, I would think theynwould be able to better answer questions if they were actually actively trying to fix it and knew what was up, rather than just saying "yeah it's some obscure eu4 thing that a good cpu may or may not help."

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  38. class350

class350 Member

Also, I just remebered something that tends to suggest their "ue4 problem" is fake, or at least not the full story. If you start in the cab, and then press 2 followed by 1 as fast as you can, 100% of the time, the issue will occur. BUT, if done randomly like this, it is always fixable by repeating this process just more slowly. It seems the games definition between internal and external is hazy, and I reckon that's to do with the fact that the internal camera is actually just a first person view, and (when the train is stopped) this "view" can get up and walk outside and all of a sudden, the interior sounds change to exterior as you open the door/walk outside. I think that because of this "view" being able to move around, it can not be coded as a fixed "interior" or "exterior" view, so it gets easier to understand how a small bug or a bit of lag at the wrong time can muck stuff up. What needs to happen, is to have a camera view permanantly in the seat of all trains, and when you press E to sit down, instead of moving the first person camera into the seat, you physically change views to a pre-determined "interior" seat. Window/door open sounds should still work fine (like is ts20xx) but because it is strictly an "interior" view, it should always default to the interior sound.

Thoughts?
    Does this seem viable?
    Does it seem too simple (i.e., they would have already tried this)?
    That's my solution to the problem anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  39. nne4229

They don't care. Lol

• Like Like x 3
  40. Darthtool

Darthtool Member

Evidently not...

• Like Like x 1
  41. Hellomynameis

Hellomynameis New Member

Hey, I posted here in 2017. This is almost like a reunion :)

Too bad nothing seems to have happened.

Some kind of response would be nice, of course; but this apparently isn't too important.

42. nne4229

Lol tag a mod

43. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

It has been commented on by Matt P. From that discussion that I recall, it was a problem with the UE engine and sounds, I have found a quick work around is to stand up and then sit back down usually sorts it out. I would also like to see it fixed but it hasn’t been ignored.

44. nne4229

Its poor coding. Other ue4 games have great sound

45. LeadCatcher

I am sure then you have reviewed the code so we should take your word over the developers... fine

46. nne4229

Try any other ue4 game and find this same bug. Go ahead, ill wait. I have 7 games based in ue4, some of them are alphas and I don't have this bug. And dont even try to hold up dtg's word as absolute fact. Just remember, flight SIM world has a great future ahead *2 weeks later* cancelled. Lol

47. LeadCatcher

Which version of the Unreal engine are these other games using? It has been discussed elsewhere on these forums that DTG has highly modified various features which makes it difficult to just upgrade to the latest UE versions which has improved sound handling from what others report. But of course you knew that from the code review you did to determine it is just poor programming. I do believe what Matt P. says, he seems to be a pretty straight shooter and over the past 5 years or so has been pretty forth coming on the progress and pitfalls. As far as FSW goes, It probably came as much as a surprise to the developing team since that smacks of an upper management decision.

But hey, go ahead you have your opinions, as long as you are happy with them, so be it.

Best.

• Like Like x 2
  48. nne4229

It'll be fixed in 2 more years it's okay.

49. londonmidland

You have to think of the pro’s and cons of upgrading to the latest version of UE4, which is highly time consuming and could potentially break things vs staying on a heavily modified version of 4.16.

One would hope that DTG updates to a more recent version, especially if it includes crucial bug fixes and improvements.

50. hightower

hightower Guest

The problem is the longer they leave it, the harder it’s going to be.

• Like Like x 3