PC Train Sim World Service Randomizer

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Zigg, May 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Zigg

Zigg Member

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 20
  2. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Pretty neat! I gotta say sometimes I do just stare at the menu screen wondering what to drive... this should help.

3. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Just had a quick play with the randomizer before bed and I am very impressed. The visuals are great and it is easy to use. Keep going be great once more services are added. I toyed with doing something like this but other projects keep me busy.

4. Zigg

Zigg Member

Thank you! I am nearing the end of my university term so I will soon become quite busy with exams and such, but getting the rest of the services in is top priority.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zigg

Zigg Member

Thanks! I haven't really done many services myself yet but I know that when I do, I would love to just randomize it, which was a big motivator for me when I started developing it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bacon_BMW

Bacon_BMW Active Member

Not only a really good idea, but a really well put together one as well! Thanks for the tool!

7. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

I like this! Great work!

8. Cheesypuff2

Cheesypuff2 Active Member

This is really awesome however i dont understand why weather choice is part of it because we can already choose that on the actual game? just wondering the thought process behind that?

9. Zigg

Zigg Member

Thanks Matt!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zigg

Zigg Member

Thank you! I believe in giving the user as much choice as possible, which is why I thought it would be nice to be able to randomize weather as well, even if it has nothing to do with services. In the future I may add the ability to choose a preferred time of day for the service as well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cheesypuff2

Cheesypuff2 Active Member

Time of day would be cooler and more related yea

12. Zigg

Zigg Member

My pleasure, glad you like it!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zigg

Zigg Member

Update: Looks slightly better on mobile devices and the popup boxes fit much better on the screen.

• Like Like x 2
  14. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Good luck with your exams and take your time you have created something really good and useful.

15. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

it’s totally awesome, it should be part of the game

16. Zigg

Zigg Member

Thanks! And I agree. Hopefully one day DTG adds something similar.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Zigg

Zigg Member

Update: All Tees Valley Line services have been implemented!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Hi Zigg, I do not mean any disrespect in the slightest as it appears alot of work has been put into this...but help me understand the purpose of this tool ? We can select routes/services/locos/weather from within the game already...why do we need to do this on a webpage ?

Again sorry if I am being clueless here and no disrespect intended....just a bit confused.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Zigg

Zigg Member

Hi! No harm done. The purpose of the site is to make it easy to randomize the services in the game, which is useful if you ever feel you don't know what to play. You never know what you will end up with, and could make it a challenge to play whatever combination of route, locomotive and weather you get. You could end up with a service in really bad conditions, which under normal circumstances you don't play, but because you have made it a challenge, you have to! You will most likely end up with combinations you have never tried before. That kind of thing. The idea behind being able to select routes etc. is just to allow you to customize the selection pool to your liking, for example if you don't own some of the DLC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Thankyou for the explanation..it doesn't seem too useful for me, but I'm glad others are finding it to be...so keep up the good work :)

21. Wolfy

Wolfy Active Member

Even better if the service isn't impossible to complete.

Too many permanent red signals stopping a few from being completed. :(

22. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

There really aren't many of those. I've ran plenty of services and the only 2 times I've ran into personally were the MSB services that were broken by the BR 143 being unable to open doors (fixed really, really quickly), DB 80401, which oddly enough only happened if you were driving the BR 185 but was also fixed with the update hat added the BR 182 to the route, and lastly some example somewhere (I don't even remember the route) a while ago where I manage to get around it by saving and restarting the game. Don't know if that last one's been fixed since, again, I don't remember the route.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Wolfy

Wolfy Active Member

If you use the BR182 on quite a few RSN services, you'll see a lot of impossible ones to finish.... Lost count of the tickets i've sent to DTG this week. :(

24. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Do you happen to have a list of those services? I would imagine you do sent you have submitted tickets. I have run a few services with the 182 on RSN and so far have been lucky. Would like to try the ones you have had a problem with and submit another ticket if needed. The more tickets from separate users might get noticed.

25. Wolfy

Wolfy Active Member

Service DB 81108 - Signal 987 permanent red. Two AI trains also stopped on red up ahead (Both Dosto leading, with a BR143 locomotive on the back.). Track is clear in front of them, no obstructions.
    Service DB 81201 (Kreuztal - Hagen) Permanent red at ground signal 371 600m from final destination in Hagen yard. No obstructions that could cause the red light between the signal and destination.
    Service DB 80212 - Permanent red at ground signal 371 again, 600m from destination at Hagen yard.

I sent screen shots, route map location with the exact spot marked, DXDIAG and even video footage to DTG... But they just said that the issue was already reported by someone else, or that the issue was already logged.

There are about 12 services left on the list, that i haven't gotten around to doing. Kind of lacking the motivation for fear of them being bugged too.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  26. Zigg

Zigg Member

Update: Added timetables for all locomotives and improved appearance on mobile devices. Keep in mind that only locomotives running on GWE, NEC and TVL have timetable data as of today. Timetables will be updated as I keep adding more services.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Zigg

Zigg Member

Update: All services have finally been implemented and the core functionality of the site is therefore complete. I have many ideas on new features, so stay tuned!

• Like Like x 2
  28. InspectorTiger

InspectorTiger Well-Known Member

This is great! Thanks a lot!

29. Zigg

Zigg Member

Update (since last changelog):
    - Many UI improvements, both on Desktop and Mobile devices (the mobile version is easier to use than it has ever been)
    - Persistent configuration: saved configuration settings between page reloads in the same browser (switching browser will use a different storage space for the settings, meaning the settings will not carry over) (the settings will likely reset if you reinstall your browser as well since they are stored locally on your disk)
    - Animation when randomizing
    - Live weather functionality: display live weather forecast, temperature and local time for the starting location of any service

30. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Stunning tool! Thanks for sharing it.