Class 166 Is The Most Un-realisic Behaved Engine

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Gabe_1.0, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Gabe_1.0

Gabe_1.0 Well-Known Member

It's actually one of my favorite engines because its semi-modern DMU but what troubles me is a couple of things to do with game logic. There is that time when you do a scenario especially and there is a service that stops all stations for example. You next station is 4miles away, the game wants you to be there in 1-2 minutes. We can all agree the max speed for this unit is 90mph on a really high rpm note. It doesn't work out at all. The next big issue is how the game drives it. You decide to ride as a passenger, climb onboard and the unit speeds up from 0 to 100 in 10 seconds. It carries on at 100mph all the way through. What's up with that.

• Like Like x 2
  2. InspectorTiger

InspectorTiger Well-Known Member

I've found the stop timings for the 166 to be pretty much bang on. If you accelerate at full whack out of the station straight up to line speed and stay there, and then brake reasonably hard and accurately coming into the next station, you'll be on time to within a few seconds. Of course, it's easy to lose a few seconds here and there, especially on the braking, and once you're behind time it's very hard to make it up, especially if you run into signals.

I haven't seen any service where you're given one minute to do 4 miles; that would require an average speed of 240mph, which is slightly out of reach for even the nippy little 166.

• Like Like x 2
  3. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Can't confirm having much trouble keeping up with the schedule in the 166 either, even without driving it like a dragster. Can confirm though that it seems to accelerate much faster in the hands of the AI drivers.

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Not sure on if it's the same for TSW but in TSx the AI units don't use the same physics structure as "driven" units so they do tend to accelerate sooner and faster than what a player can.

5. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i agree with this what inspector tiger said

I've found the stop timings for the 166 to be pretty much bang on. If you accelerate at full whack out of the station straight up to line speed and stay there, and then brake reasonably hard and accurately coming into the next station, you'll be on time to within a few seconds. Of course, it's easy to lose a few seconds here and there, especially on the braking, and once you're behind time it's very hard to make it up, especially if you run into signals.

I haven't seen any service where you're given one minute to do 4 miles; that would require an average speed of 240mph, which is slightly out of reach for even the nippy little 166.

just give it plenty of thrash and you will be on time. i never had any problems with being late.

6. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Every now and then I give one of the 166 activities a try, but I find managing the throttle vs.the gear extremely difficult, perhaps because I'm controlling the throttle with my keyboard and the gear changer with my mouse (according to the manual, Alt + A / Alt + D can be used to change gears, but that simply doesn't work for me). With the addition of occasional red signals, my platform stops mostly consist of late arrivals or platform overruns. Perhaps some of the new features in TSW 2020 will help me with this.
    Although in general I'm not a fan of passenger runs, I'd really like to be able to drive this engine properly.

7. thearkerportian

I suspect you're confusing the 166 with the 101, as the 166 has no gear change. Driving the 101 does indeed take a bit of practise though.

Also, you change gears with Ctrl+A/D, not Alt. Try that, should work much better. ;)

8. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

The 101 gear shift works fine with <CTRL> <A> or <D>. I am using a US keyboard, if you have a different mapping, that might be a problem. I do like the extra challenge of the 101.

9. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Oops! Thanks for pointing that out ... I'm rather ashamed to admit that I wrote my question while a manual with the 101's description was visible on my 2nd monitor and that I've probably been pressing the ALT key combo instead of the CTRL key one all along. Gosh, aging is so much fun!!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. thearkerportian

You're welcome. Another tip: When you release the brakes on the 101 (after departure etc.), move the brake handle straight back to the "lap" position once the brakes are fully released. That way you can apply the brakes much quicker next time you need them. I have no idea whether that's in accordance to the real class 101's operator's manual, but I sure found it to work for me.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019