Xbox One X 4k And/or Gih Resolution, Enhanced Graphics, Hdr?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Earmack, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Earmack

Earmack New Member

Hello,
    Interesting to buy game but dont wanna play in 1080 or less. Dont see info about train sim world 2020 xbox one x support/enhancements (i check dev talk in diary about train sim world 2020 but no any word about xbox one x). Maybe someone have any news/interviews or details about xbox one x high rez?
    Thank you.

2. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Its not X enhanced and its not running at 1080 / 60fps. Not sure what the resolution is but the frames are around 20-40fps mostly.

3. Earmack

Earmack New Member

4. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

That’s been wrong for ages

• Like Like x 1
  5. xD 2Bad4You

Yeah. Its not 4k, dont has HDR and isnt One X enhanced. And the devs currently also dont have any plans to do so.

6. Earmack

Earmack New Member

Damn. Why they not upgrade? Did they explained at least? Btw what about ps4pro? The same situation, no support?

7. xD 2Bad4You

Same with PS4 Pro. No enhancements

8. garydoe77

garydoe77 New Member

Yeah I don't understand why they won't even bother, do they need more experience??, farming simulator 19 runs at 4k and looks awesome, and it has way more stuff going on in the background, like plant growth and farm labourers etc,

9. Earmack

Earmack New Member

Just try game yesterday....very disappointed of picture quality. Not sure resolution even 1080....very very blurred everything...looks like 900p on xbox (after 4k games very hard to play and accept this). Fps 60fps i believe if u just running...but for me performance never been on the first place, resolution always on top. If resolution high game gonna looks awesome...but for now i feel disappointed and dont get it why xbox.com and microsoft store have wrong info about xbox one x enhancements, its just make people confuse at least.

10. xD 2Bad4You

Do you have a Link to the Store page where it shows 4K and HDR? I´ve checked xbox.com and for me its not showing any of these.

11. Earmack

Earmack New Member

I checked in Thursday and i remember 100% 4k and hdr. Also someone after my post confirm here. and i always check from console so i cant give u link from console coz its application store. Anyway maybe microsoft finally remove this bullshit

12. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

I honestly don’t see 4K HDR TSW for consoles coming anytime soon. I have a high end PC and I can’t even get 60fps with the game running at 4K

13. xD 2Bad4You

4K is utopic for the game on Consoles. Better draw distance and textures especially in the cabs and more stable fps (although i have to say the new Caltrain Route runs pretty solid) is more reasonable and doable on the X

14. naturalhighNZ

naturalhighNZ Member

4k isnt a must for me either. I'd take draw distance and textures over that.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  15. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I doubt farming simulator needs to look awesome for a 1 mile x 50 mile tract of land that looks good at 1mph or 125mph.
    And that's the challenge that TSW has, balancing everything people can do. The more comparable game would be flight sim, but even then you don't get people landing in their home town and expecting the road layouts to be accurate. In TSx or TSW people DO do that

16. russianchip

russianchip Guest

This is the one question that never gets answered directly on Twitter, Dev Streams or forums. Insects on One X is built with Unreal Engine and shows off what the system can do. TSW could be near life like with an enhancement done properly. Agree it is much better with updates but not close to what it should be.

With each a core game and DLC being £10-£25 you can soon have something on your system that costs well over £150 and should be a lot better than it is.

I think the official twitter account actually tweeted it was on the Xbox Enhanced list ages ago but it was never addressed after that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

We've never advertised the game featuring Xbox One X enhancements. One thing you don't seem to realise is that the game is a simulator. This means it's simulating things from physics to brake pressures. Other games don't need to do this so can leverage the full power of the CPU and GPU for higher details as everything is scripted.

Another thing you need to note is that TSW is a niche title. It doesn't sell hundreds of thousands of units of each Add-On like a much larger title so comparing it to games with a higher budget and player base is only going to lead to disappointment.
    For now, the game pushes the hardware of the console to its max. We have improved performance in our latest update as much as we can right now. For the time being, if you want to play TSW at 4K you are going to need a PC vastly more powerful than an Xbox One X or PS4 when it comes to CPU performance which is where the current-gen consoles truly fall behind.

• Like Like x 3
  18. ARuscoe

Does this game have real life components with interaction required from 0 to 125 mph and allow you to walk around (again real life) places and expect to see what you see?
    This is the problem with comparing "straight up games" with simulators.
    Not saying that things couldn't be very much improved in a lot of areas, but these comparisons are meaningless

DTG are learning and improving as time goes by BUT (and it's a big but) each DLC is basically a standalone environment so improvements in one DLC don't necessarily work in another DLC which may have been built in a very different way. Matt P has basically said as much in devstreams

19. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Yeah, but which one is pushed to the max or are you saying the XBox One, XBox One X, PS4 and PS4 Pro are all the same?

20. DeltaNui

DeltaNui New Member

They can’t make shadow draw distances further than like 50 yards on console. Don’t expect 4K enhancements before the heat death of the universe.

21. TrainSim-Daniel

The CPU in the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X isn't much more powerful than the one in the base consoles.

For example specs, the CPU in the base Xbox console is 1.75ghz and the One X 2.3ghz. The CPU is the same just clocked a little higher so no architecture improvements like you'd get going from one generation to a newer one. Due to this even on the enhanced consoles your still being held back by CPU performance.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

A little higher? 31% higher. You got a 31% pay rise recently?

23. TrainSim-Daniel

Hi Jez,
    31% on a particularly weak CPU is not enough to make a vast amount of difference.
    If you compare the CPU on the Xbox One X to even a low-end i3 from 4 years ago you'll notice that the i3 is still able to outperform it even with fewer cores available. Many things in the simulator are CPU dependant and the consoles are sadly lacking in this department at this time.
    The next-gen consoles are said to have vastly superior CPU performance so things should improve in the future when it comes to CPU bound games and their performance.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Thanks Daniel. I look forward to seeing what TSW can do on next gen consoles as gaming on my PC doesn't suit me. Too much like sitting at my desk.

25. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

The game is NOT Xbox One X enhanced even after the 2020 update. The resolution is 1080p at best (but possibly lower as there are extreme jaggies on power lines, etc), and the framerate is unlocked. It can run at 60 fps (mainly during the tutorial sections) but on average it runs at 20-30 most of the time. Bigger, busier stations can chug along much lower. TSW is not optimized for consoles at all at the moment.

26. ARuscoe

Replace this with "for any platform"

27. garydoe77

garydoe77 New Member

Yes it is actually advertised on the Xbox one store as x enhanced, and it us false advertising as the pictures that are shown are clearly from the pc version, I bought this game believing what the pictures show, considering the thousands of dollars I through at train simulator and the greed dtg show with releasing this on Xbox knowing that it would look terrible and refuse to optimize and then say it's not possible. Wow.

28. Earmack

Earmack New Member

TrainSim-Daniel thank you for reply and explain.
    Very disappointed news. Cant believe u cant make good resolution on xbox one x.
    Anyway thx.

29. Phelan

Phelan New Member

Really?....... I get that the CPU creates a huge bottleneck and the.game runs pretty good on the x1x. But ya really can't find a way clear up the visuals at least on the dials. Cabs look awesome, scenery is great to stunning but having a fine film of vasoline on the gauges sucks. Not asking for 4kbut maybe slightly higher textures for the gauges could be possible?

• Like Like x 1
  30. russianchip

russianchip Guest

Thank you for the reply, your Twitter account did say it was going to be Xbox One X enhanced but understand what your saying. Capture.JPG Capture.JPG

31. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

I was wondering about this, because I've got an original Xbox One, and was curious about buying the X just to experience smoother framerates.

That being said, I'm very happy with the overall performance and picture quality. It's a step forward for simulators on consoles, which was previously next to impossible last gen.

32. xD 2Bad4You

The Framerate on the X is higher than on the Standard Xbox / One S. Not because its enhanced, just because its more powerful.
    I compared WSR when it released between the two Version and it was around 10-20fps more on the X.
    That was pre TSW 2020. I maybe compare the newest route between the Consoles again if i find the time.

Here´s the older thread: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/framerate-comparision-xbox-one-x-xbox-one-s.13207/

• Like Like x 1
  33. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

Wow great work! It seems the S also runs faster than the original Xbox. Having the game run around 50/60fps changes the sense of speed and experience. I may just buy an Xbox One X!

34. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

The game uses unlocked framerate (with a maximum of 60 fps of course) so the more power you put behind it the smoother it will run. The Xbox One X is more powerful than S with a higher speed CPU so naturally it reaches higher overall framerates, but the game is very far from smooth even on this system. Especially at bigger stations like London Paddington, New York Penn, Jamaica and the like, the framerate severely drops and the whole game slows down as a result. There is always constant stuttering where the game just freezes for a fraction of a second to a full second, probably because of data streaming, even playing from an SSD. Not ideal but it's playable, and you get the best performance on an X. That said, the game will only run perfectly smoothly on the next generation Xbox console since that will finally have a proper CPU and will be fully compatible with Xbox One games so we can carry everything over.

35. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Aaah - TSW is a simulator....! Yes, of course, that explains everything. Or not. This claim is thrown around a little bit too much, to suggest that TSW is some sort of different type of software, to other UE titles. This might be (sort of) true for TS20xx, which might be a bit more MatLab based... but not TSW. The physics you are describing (such as brake pressures) don't really take that much computation. It's not as if there is a complete CFD analysis taking place, at molecular level, on the fly, at every valve... You simply have a parent/child input/output flow chart, running fairly straightforward calculations (quite a few of them, but they are easy calculations). Designing that process might have been complicated, but when it is running it is not that much of a processing overhead.

Now, if TSW fully modelled drag - physical drag - on all of the wheelsets, with lateral track forces, against a flexible track... then, yes, that would make Unreal Engine struggle a bit. Because real rail/vehicle dynamics is quite complex... (in real life, it is one of the most complex mechanical systems that exists, and that is including stuff like flight and rocket-science). TSW is not using rocket science.

TSW doesn't have to be quite as niche as you'd expect. Yes, the loco DLC barely struggles to get 1% of original TSW purchasers to re-invest - but that is not because of nicheness. It's price. And quality. And it's a very strong indicator of satisfaction with the base title. These loco DLCs shouldn't even exist as DLCs, in my opinion, let alone with each of them being near to the price of a whole new title. But in a world where they do exist...., can you blame even your most die-hard fans (say 10% of original purchasers) when 90% of that small group don't buy loco DLC, because they know it will be launched with bugs that won't get fixed for a year, and that a year later it will cost one third of the original price (and might then be nearly completely fixed)?

TSW has one main problem. It isn't finished. That's why 90% of customers won't buy route DLC, and they will never look at TSW again - every day, you lose 90% of your known* customer base, because the UI is really hard to like, and that gameplay isn't considered as important . And then, 90% of the remaining 10% won't buy loco DLC. Can you see that maybe there is also a problem with your marketing model? If TSW was a game that had a sharp UI, with decent manuals, some background/educational material, a method to progress and develop skills, etc., then TSW would retain much more of the 90% that get lost, pretty much immediately.

You make your own luck, and TSW makes its own niche - it gets left with that tiny section of the market that is prepared to put up with low quality, if it is still the best thing out there (which TSW is...).

Sadly, the real problem with TSW is that the design work (which is fabulous) is not properly optimised. Or tested for optimisation. Or tested, at all. You seem to deal with that later, when the bug reports come in. If those reports get passed on to the devs, at all. You should not need a super-computer to run TSW, as it appears to be presented to the user. You need to have a plan to optimise content, and consistently apply it.

Arkham Knight (a Batman game, currently free on PS Plus) was made in 2014/15, using UE4. That is a game that is vastly more complex than TSW, but is extremely well optimised. They had a plan, and they followed it, and tested. When the game was ready, they released it. But not until it was finished.

*I mentioned known customer base (which I am defining as people that have bought TSW) - but there is a massive unknown customer-base, including people that don't ever know that TSW exists (because it isn't marketed properly on the PlayStation Store, etc.), and friends of original purchasers, including the 90% that were turned off immediately and won't ever recommend, and the 10% die-hards that would like to recommend, but won't, because they want to keep 90% of their friends.

• Like Like x 2
  36. synthetic.angel

The OP provided a link at the start (message #3). TSW is on the XBox.com Enhanced 4K HDR feature list:
    https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list?xr=shellnav&source=lp#tabletitle

I have taken a screenshot of it today, 20th September 2019....:
    190920 TSW on XBox X1 Enhanced List.jpg

So, if TSW isn't:
    - enhanced for XBox 1X; and
    - compatible with 4K Ultra HD on XBox 1X; and,
    - displayed in HDR gamut,

...then the site could be construed as slightly misleading. I can't imagine that Microsoft would make up this kind of information, just for laughs, so someone must have given them the wrong information.

I am sure that someone at Dovetail will want to get this corrected, ASAP, if it isn't true, as the last thing that they need is a load of XBox customers with falsely raised expectations.

If TSW is enhanced for XBox1, can be viewed in 4K Ultra HD, and has HDR support, then, of course, there isn't a problem here. But if it isn't, then maybe DTG should sort out a refund for anyone that might have been a bit misled....

• Like Like x 1
  37. xD 2Bad4You

See a lot of your posts are quite helpful, altough most of them get very long.
    But i´m not sure where you get those numbers of loosing 90% of their customer base and such things.

Secondly how do you know what exactly the game calculates or not? You can just make guesses as everyone else here that isnt working for DTG or has worked on TSW. A lot of your posts seem to indicate that you have seen the actual code which probably isnt the case.

Comparing TSW to other games from bigger Dev´s / Publisher is also not really realistic. Sure i could say look at what The Coalition did with Gears 5, running at 4k 60fps but it wouldnt be fair. Different games, much more developers with much more money.

We now can compare TSW with Bus Simulator. Both are on UE4 and both struggle with performance.
    Could those games run better on Console? Probably yes, but it takes more time given the developer sizes and expected sales numbers.

The points with the UI beeing hard to like is a pretty subjective one unlike some user researches point otherwise.
    For me its pretty simple to use and understand and i havent played any other Train Sim game since MSTS.
    Experiences may differ, could show more in depth statistics but thats not the point.

And well yeah the note on the page from Microsoft. It has been mentioned several times that this one is on MS.
    Maybe there was a plan to have it enhanced at some point which changed or not. It was falsely / too early put on the site you mentioned from MS. Its out of DTG´s control to remove it. I´ve tried to point it out to MS a few times with no response. Maybe DTG did the same already, we dont know for sure.

Don´t get me wrong. There are a lot of things that can be improved with the Game and the speed of Updates / Bug fixes should be faster imo. But its also not quite right to compare it to other titles from bigger publishers like WB games and such.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  38. synthetic.angel

I am fairly sure that if DTG got in touch with Microsoft, to explain that, sadly, the claims that TSW is designed for HDR/4k/Ultra HD/1X enhancements aren't true, then I am fairly sure that Microsoft would rapidly remove these claims, because it puts both Microsoft and DTG in a difficult legal position. They might both claim that the other party is responsible, and try to do nothing, but that won't last long, because the law (in the UK, at least) has been constructed in a way to take account of that sort of argument. I reckon it will be gone in a week from now. If it isn't gone, then I will get in touch with Microsoft, and then it will be gone within a week after that - of this, I am very sure.... maybe... ;-)

To answer all (or most) of your other points, in one sentence (Yay!), I would say this:

TSW has fantastic potential, but it is fairly frustrating when DTG uses phrases like "well, it is vastly complicated software" and "sadly not all bugs get caught in QA" and "well, it is a simulator, so your system isn't powerful enough" and "we are a small company working with a niche market", as if these phrases somehow magically excuse the lack of testing, and the resulting poor performance through lack of optimisation (something that requires careful thought, planning and implementation).

39. synthetic.angel

Sadly, this listing (pictured below) has been present for about a year, which appears to make your statement vastly inaccurate. Other websites use this site as a definitive source of information, and then also state the same, um... lack of truth... It would be unfortunate, say, if DTG had been involved in sanctioning this description of the TSW software. As you can see from the OP, purchase decisions (which is a legal concept in the Act) have been made as a result of seeing this listing. Are you going to do anything about this, or is this just a bit of feedback that you fully intend to ignore, because you have judged that there is no action needed?

190920 TSW on XBox X1 Enhanced List.jpg

Link to XBox List of Enhanced software::
    https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list?xr=shellnav&source=lp#tabletitle

• Like Like x 1
  40. russianchip

russianchip Guest

That’s been updated since I last checked as it did not have 4K Ultra HD or HDR added in, it showed N/A

41. russianchip

russianchip Guest

42. Retrovertigo

Retrovertigo Member

I get what Trainsim-Daniel is saying.....the CPU in the Xbox and PS4 is indeed incredibly poor (and should at last be fixed once the next gen consoles come around Christmas next year) But surely the resolution, textures, and draw distance could all be increased on the X?

That must be pretty much be the sole domain of the GPU (which should be more than up to the job). I'd settle for a solid 1080p (I'm sure its dynamic at the moment?) nice quality AA, some nicer textures, and better anisotropic filtering (if that is what is needed to better draw the track textures in front of the train?)

I know it doesn't sell in vast numbers, and so I get why DLC may cost more than your average game. But with all the DLC I have bought so far, this is by far.....really by far.....the most expensive game I own. It would be nice to get a little graphical return on that investment :)

edit: I'd also argue against the "pushing the consoles to the max"...that may be true of their game engine. But the Forza games, especially the main series, probably simulate much more physics than this, and they run at 60fpsand look gorgeous. That is what you call pushing a system.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  43. russianchip

russianchip Guest