Nec: Unable To Start Service

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by PeterL, Sep 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. PeterL

PeterL New Member

Good day,

I seem to be unable to start a service on PS4 running the 1.21 update version. It is one of the earliest 5 minute locomotive services, probably F01-3.
    The level loads, then I spawn on the tracks without a train with a message "Service failed:train derailed" and the speed indicator showing NaN. Restarting game or reloading service doesn't fix this.
    No rush, but it would be much appreciated to be able to complete this service en route to the "all services completed"-trophy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Yes - this is quite bad. The service fails immediately, before the module has even initialised properly.

It's a shame that this wasn't caught during testing and QA. It only needed about one thousandth of a second of checking time to determine whether the module was working or not.

3. PeterL

PeterL New Member

I did contact customer support. They suggested to rebuilt PS4 databases and re-install the game. Rebuilding did nothing, doubt re-install will help, but will try it anyway. The customer support is further silent about this ticket for the past 2-3 days.

Update: Got a reply from support service that they were unable to reproduce the issue, but the dev. team will give it a look anyway.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  4. synthetic.angel

I really struggle to understand the process that the Support Team used, that ended up in giving you the advice to rebuild your PS4 database and re-install the TSW software.

It is absolutely clear from your post above that you are describing a TSW module failure, with specific module feedback messages, and that this is a problem with TSW. Also - you are a PS4 user, so the chances that your system is at fault are near to zero. If you used the word "probably" in your ticket, then I would have asked you to confirm the reference to F01-3 (which is correct, by the way), but other than that, the advice you received is truly shocking.

I think this is a throwback to the system that is used for "supporting" PC users of TS20xx. With PC users, there is a wide variety of PC manufacturers, builds, build quality, build states and specifications, for both hardware and software, including the OS. So - a million reasons why software doesn't work, that could be unrelated to the software itself. So, there is a need to "filter" queries there (although the method that DTG uses to filter PC users is, frankly, also quite disgusting) This is not the case with PS4 - your feedback should be treated like gold-dust.

If you had reported a "general slight slowing down" of the PS4 interface, and/or the framerate in TSW, and all of your other software, taking place over a number of months or years.... then yes, this could point to minor disorganisation of your PS4 HDD, and a defragment and re-write of the FAT might help general performance (this is what rebuild database means). It also wipes out some of your PS4 settings and notification history, etc...., so it is not an action without consequence or inconvenience. There is no indication that this would be needed, from your report. There is no indication that you need to re-install TSW. It's all a complete waste of your time.

There is every indication that your report points to another bug in TSW. And the bug can be reproduced in v.1.21 (build 235) - it took me one thousandth of a second to check it, and it is exactly as you describe it. That said, maybe their test PS4s are locked in a room with a sign on it saying "Beware of the Tiger....!", or perhaps anyone trying to get there has to first pass through the pantry, so, your issue couldn't be reproduced, because of the need to have a bit of a nap after lunch.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  5. synthetic.angel

Well, your problem with this module has now been patched:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/train-sim-world-playstation-updates.15673/#post-95412

I can't imagine that this was patched (along with a pile of other freight modules in NEC), directly in response to your bug report - as that would be a lightning fast response...

In any case, it is very clear that it was nothing to do with your PS4. According to TrainSim-Dmitri, they are looking at improving the Support System:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/all-the-ingredients-but-lacks-polish.18111/

6. PeterL

PeterL New Member

I did manage to complete this specific service today and another one that was broken in 1.21, but mentioned in 1.22 patch notes. Some other services had a workaround, so I managed to clear them pre-patch.
    I was waiting to work my way through the last 2 hour long sevice before posting a list of other buggy/glitchy NEC services, but the developers beat me to it by fixing most of the list :)
    After finishing 26/28 locomotive missions, the only buggy one in version 1.22 seems to be service F10-1. But will make a proper post for it tomorrow evening.