Throttle Not Working After Using Brakes (peninsula Corridor)

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by The SimTrain Tube, Aug 17, 2019.

1. The SimTrain Tube

The SimTrain Tube Well-Known Member

In the second scenario in the journey, after stopping at the first station, I found that the throttle isn't responding.

I can change between idle and notch 8 etc, but no power is applied.
    (I did not use the emergency brake yet)

Anyone else have this issue?

2. Steve Cummins

Steve Cummins Member

It's happened to me as well. No idea how to reproduce though.

3. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

I haven't had any problems with the throttle after braking, but I have had some problems after decreasing the throttle before braking. If that's what's going on here, this is actually not a bug- there's a throttle position below "Idle" that actually shuts down the engine and snaps back into the idle position. You have to restart the engine in that case. In the F40, you can just press Z to do this.

If it's not that and it is the brakes, then I wonder if this somehow has to do with the dynamic braking part of the brakes specifically, since that kind of has to do with the throttle...

4. Elvin84

Elvin84 New Member

I all so had to restart the engine to get it working again as well.

5. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Try resetting the PCS:

1. Set the Throttle to Idle
    2. Set the Reverser to Neutral
    3. Set the Independent Brake to Full Application.
    4. Set the Automatic Brake to Emergency
    5. Wait for 60 seconds 6. Release the Automatic Brake and wait for the Equalising Reservoir / Brake Pipe to return to 90 psi
    While the Automatic Brake is releasing, you will need to put the Throttle in to Notch 1 so that the compressor can recharge the Main Reservoir.
    Once the Equalising Reservoir and Brake Pipe needles have returned to 90 psi, and the main reservoir has recharged to 140 psi, put the Throttle back to Idle.
    You should now be able to release the Independent Brake, set the Reverser and apply Throttle.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

By the time you've done all of that, you'll never arrive in time at other stations -- seems that just restarting the activity would be easier. Just out of curiosity, which journey is this?

7. CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan Active Member

Are you talking about California commuter? I finished it no problem. I’m willing to bet you’re double tapping “decrease throttle” button and you’re killing the engine

• Like Like x 2
  8. bobsr

bobsr Member

Have anyone been able to get the cabcar going after braking? Because not all the braking options are available in the cabcar, for resetting. It will not move.

9. Steve Cummins

Steve Cummins Member

It appears that, whether by design or bug, if you throttle down rapidly the engine in the F40 shuts down thus preventing you to restart your journey. You'll need to restart the engine to carry on.

Interestingly, try shutting down the UP GP38-2. Yep, impossible!

10. LastTrainToClarksville

Although I do find myself attempting a passenger run on the Peninsula Corridor route, I mostly avoid them. This is not in any way DTG's fault: I just cannot manage to manipulate the throttle and brake well enough to stop on the spot and on time at platforms. This is the case even in the tutorials -- pardon me, "Training Modules".
    I am enjoying the freight activities, however, and find the route worth its price without its passenger run anxieties.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bobsr

bobsr Member

In my case, After resetting the brakes that are in the Cab Car, the brakes pressure only release to about 45lbs., not the 90lbs. as mentioned above. I used control + to check out the PH40 cab, and found that the auto brakes were in full emergency status. I released the auto brakes. All of the other brakes were in released status. I control + back to the Cab Car. And, the brakes pressure gauge in the Cab Car is still at about 45lbs. I was doing the Service 371 San Jose to San Francisco, I wasn't paying attention for an moment, and when I looked up there was an red signal coming up next. I didn't have enough time to slow down normally, so, I slammed on the brakes. I was approximately 391 yds. from the Redwood City Stop. I saved the service at that point. Using the recommendations above, the brake pressure still does not reset.

12. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

The steps out of the manual worked for me so far when i did an emergeny Stop with the Cab Car to get the brakes back to work.
    I will quote them below:

13. robert

robert New Member

What Manual??? Where do you find a manual for anything in TSW???

14. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

15. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

There's normally a link to the manual on the Steam store page.

16. LastTrainToClarksville

Last item missing: arrive late for the rest of the run.

17. LastTrainToClarksville

18. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Not wishing to play down your struggle because it really should be in the game somewhere, but it literally took me 10 secs to type Manual into the forum search box and find this thread.

19. spunner

spunner New Member

YES! I'm having this same issue, and it's not a PCS problem. I will confirm that when decreasing the throttle to idle, I've knocked it into STOP, and it sounds as if it kills the engine of the F40.

I've looking through the manual, which others have cut-n-pasted here, but it only mentions on how to reset the PCS. Doing those steps for me do not work. There is no engine sound, even when throttled up, yet there are brake noises. As for pressures, I'm lucky if I'm hitting 70 on both guages, on the red or white needles. It may be me, but I think my engine is dead, but even taking the steps outlined in the manual (pg 10), or tutorial, the engine never starts.

Please help. Just bought the game yesterday and I'd like to get through at least two stops!

**** SOLVED ****
    Found an unrelated video of someone starting one of the CSX engines and noticed the back wall of the cockpit has a similar Run / Start-Isolate switch, with a big Engine Start not too far from it. I rotated the switch to Start, hit the Engine Start button, and slowly the sound of the engine returned.

Its a shame I did not find that in the Peninsula Corridor manual or in any of the prior tutorials. All good now.. back to simming!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  20. admill2006

admill2006 New Member

Hello, this has happened to me twice and had to exit game.
    It's easy to get flustered when this happens at the last stop, and 22000 points going out the window.
    Gonna try this restart process next time.

21. admill2006

admill2006 New Member

Hello again, just shut engine off on F40, figured out how to restart.
    First off, I'm on ps4, if you double click the R1 paddle twice it will go into a throttle shut down mode and the engine will shut down, bells ring in the background.
    Apply brakes, put reverser in nuetral, put throttle in O, and
    go to the back panel to the isolator switch, under the light switch, put it in start, push and hold the start engine button, and put isolator switch back in run.
    Now put everything back to normal an pullout...

• Like Like x 1
  22. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Ok, this works, but whats about this happening in the cab-car? I dont can figure this out. With the external cam I can operate these switches in the loc but it doesent seem to work. Whats to do now, to make the cab-car back to running?

23. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Did you remember to move the Control and Pump switch up? This allows the engine to start up.

24. niveous

niveous Member

I'd love to know why this imaginary 'stop the engine' notch is in either the F40 or the Gallery cab is there in the first place. Is this a modification that Caltrain had done, and just isn't represented on the control stand? I can't seem to find reference to it in the EMD manuals either.

25. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

I am trying to use the newer power car 925 but it is not working. I have done the same procedure to set it up but the throttle does absolutely nothing. This is not even mentioned in the manual along with the rear propelling vehicle which has lights which do not turn off. How do I get this to work or is this one AI only?