Tsw: Seaside Spectacular!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

GWE 36 miles plus a couple more if you include the depots. Issue is 30 miles isnt continuous. Its either 23 miles, slightly longer, or shorter using the branch. On WSR thats fine with a 25mph limit. This line would be more 60,70,80mph wouldnt it?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

It's weird then that I actually recommended that people purchase the last DLC if all I do is pick fault with everything. It's almost as though I judge every DLC on its own merits.

• Like Like x 5
  3. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Well I must have missed that rare event! You just seem obsessed with trying to make out that everything has to come down to route mileage and contents as if they should work on a mileage per pound ratio, that doesn't take into account the detail for certain areas or the density of scenery. A 30 miles route could be more dense than a 40 mile route.

Not everything is perfect and there are things I would like to see changed but if DTG are such money grabbers and sons of satan then why are you even bothering to have the sim installed on your computer let alone consider purchasing anything for it?

• Like Like x 5
  4. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

The people that complain the most, are the people who care the most.

• Like Like x 6
  5. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I’ll probably get it and this time I will skip the launch stream and just go right into it. I’ve always watched the streams in all the excitement and then wondered If I’ve spoilt some of the discovery of it.

• Like Like x 8
  6. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

What the 7th pic on its steampage supposed to be? Why is the scenery in the distance still looking so
    awfully empty? How is this even STILL (https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/main-spessart-bahn-and-2d-trees.15105) a thing? How do you people have such weird issues developing this game that no other dev team has? First with the missing desination boards who are being added obv only to the newest trains bit by bit(because s**** these people who supported you by buying the first dlcs right?), than this huge delay and silence about the editor and now with the awful looking scenery in the distance

• Like Like x 3
  7. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

BB29DB1A-837A-4D5F-9BCD-E070FF21097E.jpeg
    I see where you're coming from. I’ll watch for new features, improved sound, more dense scenery. Layer opportunities with the other British routes in mind. We know that cab sway has been in testing. Maybe this route introduces it.
    Newhaven (above pic) could be a nice feature, having the jcb moving around amongst the aggregate piles. Atleast looking like its loading JNAs. The same could be done at Acton (GWE)
    I am still a bit disappointed that the line doesn't reach Hastings though.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

It would be very nice if we could get the DB Cargo UK livery for the 66.

9. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I hope they sort the horn (louder and more authentic sounding)and the exhaust (less straight up in the air with a slight curve as a steam engine), and have a consistent flashing tail lamp present on the trailing wagon. Hit and miss on other routes, but maybe Im being optimistic.
    If theres a record of a db red 66 running this service then why not. Its already in the game.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. zane88

zane88 Active Member

Preach the good gospel..... PREACH!

11. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Maybe like the Class 31 they’ve worked with AP for the 377/5 sounds

12. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Yes or Ed Fisk. Cant fault the authenticity of the class 33 and 45.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Very pleased to have a route down south with the southern trains. Maybe next after this would be London to Brighton!

• Like Like x 1
  14. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

I will admit that Digital tends to err in the negative side of things more often than not, but is any of what he is saying false? For something titled Seaside Spectacular, I would certainly picture maybe something resembling this:

9053649228_5270aebf4f_b.jpg

Plus, it's not like the stations are extremely unique to one another, so what was the rationale behind stopping it short of Ore? Going all the way to Hastings is definitely asking for too much given the trend of DTG's route lengths, but having the extension to Ore would wipe out any criticism of the route length since you are getting another Eastern terminal and potential for more varied service patterns. It's only a few extra miles, but they decided against it, even though it would make the destination signs to Ore mean something. It's this criticism that is warranted where they could have taken the extra effort to include something, but decided to just hop off and stop before completing the last lap in a 5 lap race.

• Like Like x 12
  15. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

So much whining! This route looks interesting. I believe that the reason why the route is shorter due to the time and effort it took to make the EMU. The destination displays on the trains do scroll and are not “just a texture.”

• Like Like x 4
  16. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Roughly the same length as WSR end to end but it will feel shorter due to the higher speed...but we need to add on the 7 mile branch from Lewes to Seaford bringing the total to 30 miles (which is then comparable to MSB)

I think it looks nice and it should be fun to drive the Class 377. It would have been nice if the line was extended to Hastings though...

• Like Like x 3
  17. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

This has already been addressed by DTG countless times during their streams (and possibly here on the forums as well). Route length has nothing to do with the console limitations and is purely down to manpower and the time it takes to produce the content.

Both PC and console can handle longer routes fine as route tiles are loaded in and out of memory as you drive. ie They can theoretically be any length at all, but each of those tiles are highly detailed and take time to develop

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

I'm just hoping there will be a lot of detail and interesting scenery to make up for the hilariously short route length.

19. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Good concept but too short again. What a shame. Pass.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

AE76960F-4C6D-497F-9339-2E479D934B56.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  21. zane88

zane88 Active Member

Oh no, not that angry guy with the t-shirt.
    Is he my driver today?

DOES ANYONE WEAR "ACTUAL UNIFORMS" THESE DAYS??

• Like Like x 3
  22. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Maybe a railway enthusiast stole it :)
    If I’m not mistaken the drivers wear a grey polo but yeah sadly nowadays companies tends to “simplify” uniforms removing hats or shirt and tie

23. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

The route itself looks really nice.. seriously very pretty, and I love that region!
    But the background world still looks dead, passengers moribund, sky painted on, drivers looking like passengers, and all the other myriad little immersion killers that irk. Just some chimney smoke would have been enough to 'sway' me to buy it. Hardly a massive task surely, and if it is then the future looks mighty restricted.
    So probably a pass until its on at least a 50% sale.
    Sorry guys, but you know what you have to do..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  24. zane88

zane88 Active Member

That doesn't explain the look on his face.

He looks like he's about to kill a litter of kittens! :o

25. zane88

zane88 Active Member

I'm NOT getting on no train with a CAT KILLER!!

• Like Like x 2
  26. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

LOL

27. theorganist

I am sorry but that is absolute rubbish. I care very much about the sim, it provides me with hours of enjoyment, very much value for money as obviously for many others too, I am looking forward to it's future development.

Many complaints are understandable, I have too complained but there are some who just want to complain, some who almost seem to have a personal grudge against what is a group of people running a software company, you get the feeling there are some who almost want TSW to fail so they can say "told you so", there have been posts on here trying to dissuade others from purchasing new content!

I would have liked to see the route extended to Hastings, I would have liked to see a class 313 included, however DTG is a business and needs cashflow to develop for the future, maybe a few extra sales made by extending the route and extending development time doesn't bring them any benefit. Things have changed since MSTS and TS1, this sim is clearly much more detailed and cannot be compared like for like.

• Like Like x 10
  28. theorganist

I would like to see some more variety in passengers and some of the train crew do look very unreaslitic, I do wish they would address that. I agree some more life in the world around the sim would be great to see. I think chimney smoke would be unlikely as 2019 UK is mostly a smokeless zone apart from some rural areas! Of course it hasn't been released yet so presumably these are work in progress shots or just art work.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

4265D244-505C-406E-9283-91794B519333.jpeg
    No Info displays at stations is a bit annoying for a commuter route. Especially given the demand for it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  30. theorganist

Yes it would be good to see those operating. Maybe in the future. It can be frustrating in timetable mode not knowing when the next train is coming. A virtual paper timetable pop-up would be good too, espectially for the older period routes or maybe a mock national rail enquries app.

• Like Like x 2
  31. thearkerportian

I'm tired of playing the same old record over and over: Longer routes, and an editor. If that doesn't happen VERY soon, well... I don't want TSW to fail, but also, wouldn't care much if it did. If longer routes take more manhours, well guess what, they'll have to charge more! Us MSTS era verterans are a different demographic than 15-yo console kiddies who have to rely on pocket money to buy their games. Just look what some planes for FSX cost, I could get three or four TSW routes for the price of a single one of them.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Good ideas. Even stations listed on the route map screen.
    People have been after the destination boards since GWE. There might be reasons why this is difficult to implement. If thats the case, why model a route where this missed feature will be even more pronounced?

• Like Like x 2
  33. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Not quite there is it? Needs to be longer and have another train type basically. 50% off in a sale would be my buy price.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE]Us MSTS era verterans are a different demographic than 15-yo console kiddies who have to rely on pocket money to buy their games. Just look what some planes for FSX cost, I could get three or four TSW routes for the price of a single one of them.[/QUOTE]
    Id pay more for a longer route. I also dont have TSxx and my access to TSW is via playstation. Im certainly not a 15yo reliant on pocket money. I Intend to buy a PC if it becomes clear that ps4/5 was to take a far inferior path to the PC next year. The reason that I havent is the not knowing. I have a stack of PSN dlc that would go to waste and could do with seeing the PC editor in play 1st. As for the age demographic, I suspect you’ll find TSW PC and console is similar age wise.

• Like Like x 3
  35. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

All good points well made, all of which highlight the fundamental immersion issues that require attention before I, and I suspect others, buy this route. Its a shame but thats the reality. I would love to be able to love the brand, but I cant right now. Its still at the 'shows potential' stage for me and so does not quite justify the price tag.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Us MSTS era verterans are a different demographic than 15-yo console kiddies who have to rely on pocket money to buy their games. Just look what some planes for FSX cost, I could get three or four TSW routes for the price of a single one of them.[/QUOTE]
    Id pay more for a longer route. I also dont have TSxx and my access to TSW is via playstation. Im certainly not a 15yo reliant on pocket money. I Intend to buy a PC if it becomes clear that ps4/5 was to take a far inferior path to the PC next year. The reason that I havent is the not knowing. I have a stack of PSN dlc that would go to waste and could do with seeing the PC editor in play 1st. As for the age demographic, I suspect you’ll find TSW PC and console is similar age wise.[/QUOTE]

You already have a playstation. Why not buy a pc so you have both? Its not a binary choice..

I use my pc for sims and vr that are naturally more resource intensive, my xbox for rpg and fps stuff. Its home built so cost significantly less than an off the shelf product.

37. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

If tsxx didn't exist running parallel showcasing some of the terrific attention to detail that dedicated, often little or non profit creators have produced, then TSW could get away with these omissions. This isn't the case though. TSW needs to step up and be that next level.

• Like Like x 3
  38. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

I quite agree.

39. theorganist

I'm certainly not a console Kiddie, I had a Playstation 2 around ten years ago, that was mainly for LMA Manager! I am a "middle aged" PC owner. I actually would pay more for longer routes and more stock included, some console games are £50 to £60 I believe. However I still enjoy what is out there and hope that one day longer routes will emerge but I get bored after driving for more than around an hour to be honest, although at least with TSW you can have a break watch some trains then pick another one up. I think rather than trying to get longer routes I would prefer to see some of the ideas mentioned above implemented and maybe see more DLC. I think I would prefer a shorter route with a bigger variety of trains to use than a long route with only a couple! Some networks rather than end to end routes would be good to see more of, rather like LIRR.

• Like Like x 7
  40. Cd1990

Cd1990 Active Member

Okay, 30 route miles all up and 15 stations, that's not too bad, plus yay for another modern British route. And introducing the 377 is clever given that it could well and truly be the base model for any future routes featuring electrostars.

The 313 would have been nice though (future DLC?) and hey maybe one day an extension towards at least Ore, that or putting Brighton into TSW will be the catalyst for a new version of the Brighton Main Line, who knows.

• Like Like x 2
  41. Cd1990

Cd1990 Active Member

Plus, judging by the driver's screen in the cab as seen in the Steam page, this works! So that's promising... :) header.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  42. TinTin_57

Deary deary me, the 'I'm PC and I'm better than you' brigade are back again.
    Next we'll have the old favourite 'This route is short due to console limitations'
    :o

• Like Like x 5
  43. thearkerportian

Please don't put words in my mouth I didn't say.

Consoles are not the blame for what I dislike about TSW. It's a few (presumably) higher-ups at DTG who don't understand the simulator market. Ex EA employees. Nuff said.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Ahh dammit that looks good. Even with the immersion issues I might have to brush the moths out of my wallet.. sooo wavering at the shop door right now..

• Like Like x 2
  45. TinTin_57

Its fine if you have an issue with DTG but no need to insult all those using TSW on consoles, especially those of us haven't been 15 since the early 80's

• Like Like x 4
  46. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Apart from the options to expand the graphical range, the ability to use or zoom with a mouse, and despite some of the myths about the console versions. At this present time. Theres not much difference at all. Routes and stock are the same. DTGs original reducing if services and train lengths ie GWE has been re evaluated and now shares the PC version. Plus I would only be using a PC for an noticeably enhanced TSW experience. So if an editor came out and enhancement packs started releasing. Whilst console stayed at the base level.

• Like Like x 1
  47. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Dont forget engine.ini tweaks and reshade etc. I have no idea if those functions are available on playstation. Its the only reason i can play tsw and why i play it on pc otherwise the popping of scenery etc would be too distracting, for me anyway. Personal choice of course- just seeking to assist you in your decision making process :)

• Like Like x 1
  48. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Engine ini is a consideration of mine too. Yes, and thanks. Just imagine though. PS5 comes out, able to run tsw to a high end spec. With the ability to run my current PS4 dlc. (£200 worth or so) and theres still no sign of an editor on PC. If the editor comes out, and the content creators produce the add ons we all hope, then Im highly likely to be on PC sooner or later.

• Like Like x 3
  49. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Anybody know what the top speed on this line will be and if there are any express services? I’m very familiar with the Electrostar; this route not so much.

50. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1