Directx Version Upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by L0-Cache, Jan 25, 2020.

1. L0-Cache

L0-Cache New Member

Hello,
    will TS become soon a DirectX Upgrade (to DX11 or DX12)? This would open new possibilities for the graphics, performance and compatibility (if the developer team choose the right decisions).

• Like Like x 4
  2. DigitalRails

DigitalRails Member

3. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Basically I don't think this would ever happen as it would mean a complete rewrite of the game and probably not worth it now that there is TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  4. L0-Cache

L0-Cache New Member

If the DirectX Upgrade never happen, DTG should move their capacities more to TSW because TSW has so short and much less routes/content than TS.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  5. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I really do hope that Train Simulator 2020 can get the upgrade to DX12. I can imagine Train Simulator would perform much better with smooth performance and little to no stutter with DX12 capable graphics cards.

• Like Like x 4
  6. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Remember the core of this game is about 15 years old and as I have said above would never happen.

• Like Like x 3
  7. malikrthr

True, in order to obtain great fps from this simulator in it's current state, a processor that handles single core applications well is a must. I will say though, Train Simulator has gotten more stable over the years, and is definitely playable with the correct settings.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hugh Janus

Hugh Janus Member

We were told 64-bit would never happen . . .

We were told all new development (trains, routes etc) with Train Simulator would cease when Train Sim World was released . . .

Never say never

• Like Like x 6
  9. L0-Cache

L0-Cache New Member

We see TS has still WAY more locos and routes (releases), the routes in TSW are so much shorter and are very inflexible (straight, much less switches, etc.). And TSW has still no editor and workshop...

• Like Like x 2
  10. L0-Cache

L0-Cache New Member

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

So the game that came out 15 years ago has more content available than the game which was released less than two years ago :o
    Who would have thought

• Like Like x 2
  12. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

They know TS is still the golden goose. Lets hope

• Like Like x 4
  13. malikrthr

Most definitely. Train Simulator is a good base and the content is all there for the most part. If only Train Simulator had the graphics and performance of TSW

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hugh Janus

Hugh Janus Member

Dream on. The whole point is that Train Simulator will be dropped as soon as Train Simulator World sells well enough. Be realistic - there is no sound business case in producing two simulators side-by-side.

15. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Well as TSw only uses DirectX10.0 we may have a long wait to get DX12.0 for TS20XX. However, it has been done for FSX (P3D) so it is possible.
    pH

• Like Like x 2
  16. L0-Cache

L0-Cache New Member

TSW has DX11 too.

17. malikrthr

If anything, it'll be awhile till TSW phases out Train Simulator. Even though TSW looks good graphics wise, it is lacking in many areas which need to be resolved and ironed out first.

18. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges in comparing TSW & TS2020. TSW will take years to match the revenue of TS and if DTG dropped TS, 3rd party devs would fill the void.

• Like Like x 4
  19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You have this as official information or it is just a rumour?

• Like Like x 2
  20. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I do not see Train Simulator being dropped Matt has has said repeatedly that it will remain and will continue to have content made for it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. DigitalRails

DigitalRails Member

What is exact Directx version of TSW?
    10 or 11?
    What is the benefit of DX11 with respect to TS2020? Can we get PBR graphics or graphics at par ETS2 atleast in TS2020?

22. DigitalRails

DigitalRails Member

That seems to be a negative idealogy, do you think anyone will drop their profitable business in dump?

• Like Like x 1
  23. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Here what I found that may help

What is DirectX 11?
    The essential driver for Windows gamers
    DirectX 11 (or DX11) is a set of drivers distributed by Microsoft that offer improved visual and audio performance. Its main function, and the one for which it is best known, is allow you to run games with excellent state of the art graphics in video games.

If your PC doesn't have the right version of DirectX installed (the product box should tell you which one you need), your game might not work properly. ... In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, select the System tab, then check the DirectX version under System Information.

What is the use of DirectX?
    Microsoft DirectX is a collection of application programming interfaces (APIs) for handling tasks related to multimedia, especially game programming and video, on Microsoft platforms.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  24. DigitalRails

DigitalRails Member

I have DX12 as checked from DXDiag

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  25. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Well, worse case is there is no more development for TS1. Even if / when that happens the game itself and the plethora of current DLC will still be available for purchase.

However, from what I can tell there's no sign at moment of development for it ceasing. It might be a different story after TSW has an editor available and other companies are developing content for it.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Hugh Janus

Hugh Janus Member

Absolutely, it won't disappear altogether. It is, though, perhaps worth mentioning that Dovetail don't appear to have produced anything new themselves for TS2020 for some time (unless there have been some in areas not of interest to me) despite having a good stock of as yet unmarketed British locomotives they have acquired from another developer. It looks like all their work is going into Train Sim World. But as long as third-party developers continue making new material (whether sold through Steam or directly) we won't go short. For me, I'm happy with what I have already, it will keep me amused until I, my computer or Steam pops off!

• Like Like x 2
  27. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

At least according to Steam, they have developed at least 5 DLC's for TS2020 since October. (Norddeutsche-Bahn route, DB BR 146.5 & BR 668.2,UP SD9043MAC, Granger Heartland Route, Regional Railways BR Class 142)

28. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I don't but Hugh Janus seems to think so

29. Hugh Janus

Hugh Janus Member

I would like to think it is practical rather than negative. To me a lot of the postings are wishful thinking rather than looking at the business sense behind it and the realities of life. Most of us would like Train Simulator to go on and on, but when you get to people asking for it to be brought up to Train Sim World standards I really begin to wonder.

And who here is to say it is a profitable business? I am not saying it isn't, but so many postings in this thread are 101% assumption.

The object must surely be to complete Train Sim World, after which Train Simulator will really serve no purpose. It is my view, and purely an opinion, that it is just being used to keep the business flowing towards that.

Anyway, I've said my bit - I'll toddle along now and let the rest of you dream on . . .

30. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

No one is dreaming or wishful thinking. The simple fact is that TS sales is supporting the development of TSW. It makes absolute sense that they sell both at the same time. Add to that they are different products appealing to different markets and that not everyone has the computer specs to run TSW. That would also limit the market of TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

One thing that TS does have an advantage with over TSW is route length though, as aside from Sand Patch Grade, all routes are less than 50 miles in length, plus they have to be able to run on current gen consoles (Hench why SPG wont release on consoles).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Unlike TSW there are is a number of third party developers who continue to create new locos, trains and routes for TS2020,
    I think they might be a bit upset if DTG decided to not continue to improve the game.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  33. trev123

trev123 Active Member

When TSW first came out you needed a fairly high spec computer to run it which mine isn't so I stopped using it. I never played it for about a year but after a few upgrades that DTG have done to it, it runs fine on my computer now on max settings. Intel
    i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz CPU, GTX 1060 6 GB graphics card, 16 GB of ram and Windows 10.

34. efekancandan

efekancandan New Member

Dovetail Games please TS 20XX Directx Upgrade :(

35. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

According to Steamdb, TS has more than double the daily players of TSW, so for the time being, I think TS is here to stay.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

And how does Steamdb account for PS4 and Xbox players? I would've thought there are probably as many if not more TSW console players than PC players.

I agree btw, TS20xx has already proven it's outlived TSW...... TSW2 anyone?

37. malikrthr

Something tells me that TS20xx will outlive the TSW and TSW2 series. Over the years, TS20xx has improved and there is much more content, add ons, and mods available for it. It would be great if support mainly went to improve the TS20xx series as much as possible.

38. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I agree with you, as I am sure many do. However, DTG will have to come to that determination on their own and decide it's better to go with the larger segment of their market instead of trying to get console players into a game that is best played on PC.

39. longo239

It doesn't it's PC users only. I think it's generally accepted that consoles account for two thirds of TSW2020 users.

40. Sumit

Sumit Member

TS is dead horse

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

TSW is crap though.

• Like Like x 1
  42. longo239

Starting to limp a little but still life in the old horse!

TSW will never have the lifespan of TS until the community is given more opportunities to create it's own content.

Look at all the popular simulators, FSX, ATS, ETS2, TS1. One thing they have in common is the ability for the community to create their own content

• Like Like x 2
  43. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

Different story. Porting to 64bit is quite "easy" to do. Recompile with 64bit, eleminate the few problems with it and done. Porting to DX11 or 12 needs a new core engine being programmed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I respectfully say to you that I think you are way off the mark with that comment.

Personally I have virtually stopped using TSW for the moment. Until it has the level of content and the ability to create immersive scenarios that you get on TS1 then it will continue to play second fiddle as far as I am concerned. Even if DTG draw a line under it, it will thrive with the large amount of other payware and freeware creators for it. I hope they don't I hope they continue to have both in their portfolio.

TSW looks great and service mode makes it easy to jump into and drive, which very fairly is all some want. However you cannot customise it nearly as much as TS1. So for me, it is just another tool in the box of trainsims alongside TS1 and DRS, but TS1 is still the precious socket driver you don't want to lose!

• Like Like x 4
  45. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Which was exactly my point. ;)

46. efekancandan

efekancandan New Member

DLCs can be imported into the existing program instead of writing a new program.. But the real boring part is to re-buy everything. It cost almost $ 10,000 >> steamcommunity.com/id/nekioneki

• Like Like x 1
  47. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

[1] You don't have to buy anything new - If you have it on Steam you Keep it
    [2] Most people don't pay full price for DLC but wait for a Sale - unless it is really good

• Like Like x 2
  48. BeenTrain

BeenTrain Member

I would be supprised if they would cut loose Train Simulator (TS).
    TSW is not the successor of TS. Total different gameplay. TSW is much more aimed at arcade console where TS is for the rail hobbiest PC.

Cutting it loose is like killing the milk cow to get more milk.

TS deserves an update. It has the biggest player base (atm) third parties still investing in by bringing new routes and locos.
    If third parties are investing in it, why not invest in improving the TS core?

• Like Like x 3
  49. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

TSW was intended to be the successor to TS, but I don't think it's playing out quite how DTG expected. Rather than progressing the player base, they've created 2 markets that kind of cross over.

TS definitely deserves a core engine update. It'll be the stuff of legend.

• Like Like x 4
  50. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I think that is certainly what was intended but until you can create in the same way it won't happen. Look at the amount of freeware still being created, something I can't see every happening in TSW, it seems to be growing not shrinking and although it might not benefit DTG directly it keeps users playing and probably buying add-ons, plus I am sure attracts new users who stumble across a developers website or Facebook page.

• Like Like x 1