Tsw: A Multi-purpose Marvel

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-Dmitri, Mar 3, 2020.

1. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Its great to see somem more DLC, I will get it regardless. But whats going on with the GWE route. NO DLC what so ever. I mean even the Rapid Transit route had DLC!!! The chance to use JNA wagons That were used in Eastcoastway route (and which actually run along to and from Acton from the west country and down to New Haven). There is another Interactive industry west of Heathrow Junction as well that has never been used. I mean we dont even get the vintage railtour of BR class 31, 37, 40, 45, 47 locomotives to appear. Yet this route is really popular and people are asking for it to be upgraded. There sense of thinking strikes me sometime as in wtf are they thinking.

Hentis

• Like Like x 5
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Matt is working on a revised timetable which includes a railtour.

• Like Like x 6
  3. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Very nice.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

We need a German shunter, we already have German routes.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20200304-185305_Discord.jpg

:|

Since some dont go to discord, figd id pop this here since it seems to be more savvy info wise

Anyway lets hope theyre on point w the rest of caltrain

• Like Like x 3
  6. Schnauzahpowahz

Screenshot_20200304-185700_Discord.jpg

This does sound neat though

• Like Like x 4
  7. granttozier

granttozier New Member

now all we will need is a San Jose Gilroy extension then this rout will be complete

• Like Like x 4
  8. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

The most direct example that we have for comparison is the DLC that included the Amtrak SW1000R diesel shunter/switcher. The shunter was given a short Introduction/Training module, two Scenario modules, and four*** Timetable Mode (services) modules. So, when you guess that there will be ten services, then, based on current evidence, it looks like you are being wildly optimistic.... ;-O

As an aside - those four SW1000R services are meant to take about six hours to complete. And you might get eight hours in total. Plus, of course, you get the ex-Metroliner cabcar with that DLC, which I have decided that I really do quite like (even though it should have been part of NEC in the first place), but the cabcar has only got thirteen services (and quite short ones).

My primary interest, in new DLC (and old DLC, like the DB BR 155), is whether or not anyone bothers to get around to testing it, before it gets sold. I bought the SW1000R at the weekend, and I was disappointed to find that the Introduction module was bugged, in that the stopping threshold markers were the wrong way around (as is often the case with many DLCs, including the GWE scenario to rescue the HST). It would have taken less than ten minutes to find the problem with the SW1000R (as shown below):

SW1000R stop objective bug.jpg

***also known as "countless" in the DTG-marketing-lingo... ;-)

• Like Like x 4
  9. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

MP15DC: Light Work achievenent have this icon so there will be more than 10 services (11 at least)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. synthetic.angel

Or.... that could be the icon to mean that you have coupled ten coaches together, in total.... ;-O

I don't know, but I have a funny feeling about that one.... it does say "Light Work" after all, and as you know... putting together four services for the SW1000R was Extremely Heavy and Hard-going Work.

• Like Like x 4
  11. synthetic.angel

Sorry to continue to stray off-topic... But are you saying that you know, for sure, that the GWE route is going to have additions to the timetable to allow for loco-hauled trains out of (or to) Paddington, that include the 31, 33, 37, 40, 45, 47, 52 and 66 - pulling sets of WSR Mk1s, NTP MkIIs and HST MkIIIs....?

Because if that is what you are saying - then that would be most welcome. As a free addition/upgrade.

I think that something like that might even make me go really quiet for a bit.... ;-D

Chuck in a Network South East Class 50 as well, and it might even bring a tear to my face....

• Like Like x 2
  12. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

The 10 could mean the Loco level as well.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

Or that you turned on the lights 10 times.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Or that you've travelled 10,000 miles (at a yard speed of 5mph).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

No, it is services completed.
    The ID = MP15DC_SERVICESCOMPLETED

Others are:
    - MP15DC_COMPLETE_TUTORIAL
    - MP15DC_COMPLETE_SCENARIO
    - MP15DC_RAILVEHICLE_LEVEL (10)
    - MP15DC_DISTANCEDRIVEN (150)

• Like Like x 3
  16. synthetic.angel

Well we know something for certain. There must be at least six services, because the marketing materials say this:

".....you’ll have the opportunity to put the Caltrain MP15DC through its paces in a variety of duties ranging from switching and train make-up duties at the railroad’s San Jose Centralized Equipment Maintenance & Operations Facility (CEMOF) to handling heavy-tonnage ballast work trains on the Peninsula Corridor main line to coming to the rescue of failed commuter trains."

The three highlighted phrases above are all plural. And this means that there must be more than one of each of these three things, so in the very least:

- two "switching and train make-up" duties;
    - two heavy-tonnage ballast work trains; and,
    - two failed commuter trains.

There must be at least six, as indicated above. Otherwise, the marketing materials here:

https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/articles/article/a-multi-purpose-marvel

....might be construed to be a bit misleading, if, say, there is only one scenario with a failed train. And I can't imagine that DTG would want to be misleading, so there must be at least two failed train senarios to deal with (maybe one for each type of train...?).

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

upload_2020-3-5_16-14-24.png

Just leaving this here.
    Two weeks, maybe if TrainSim-Dmitri and TrainSim-Matt do a stream it maybe is on the 18th.

For the achievement, it adds a total of 15 services (stated on the Steam Store page).

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. synthetic.angel

That looks fairly indicative. But I think that we'll only know for sure after the DLC has been released, and when paying customers have independently eye-balled the list. Anything that we hear before then might just be a complete and utter fabrication...or, to put it more kindly... a "misunderstanding".

Sadly, you can't really trust anything at all, until you have seen it with your own eyes. That's the world that we are in, following what happened with the Oakville DLC, and the broken DB BR 155 on RSN on PS4.

• Like Like x 4
  19. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

This is really getting pathetic.

• Like Like x 7
  20. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

There is certainly going to be a stream but in a slightly different format this time.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  21. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Well, that's an intriguing hint.

• Like Like x 1
  22. synthetic.angel

I couldn't agree with you more.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Now my curiosity is peaked.

• Like Like x 1
  24. synthetic.angel

Are you going to allow any of the people following the stream to randomly pick a service for you to run and demonstrate...? Will you be demonstrating the DLC using a PS4....?

• Like Like x 2
  25. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Thanks for new information. I'm looking forward to announced stream.

• Like Like x 1
  26. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Shut up synthetic.angel, really I mean it it’s annoying that you brings everywhere the BR155...

• Like Like x 5
  27. synthetic.angel

Well - this is a marketing thread, and it seemed appropriate to briefly mention the DB BR 155, which was marketed here:

https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/articles/article/step-up-with-the-db-br-155

with the text that said:

• Fully functioning SIFA and PZB 90 safety systems
    • Accurate, true-to-life performance and handling

And it was marketed for PS4, and it did not say that "all sound, including the safety systems alerters will be silenced through tunnels, because that is a realistic interpretation of what actually happens with a 155 on RSN". If the advertising had said that the 155 was broken on RSN on PS4, that would have been fine... which leads me to the question:

Q. Will DTG release a bug-list for this new Californian Dreamin' Shunter, before it is released for sale?

But - back to your point. I have put a poll in place here:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...r-155-be-fixed-to-work-on-rsn-on-p-s-4.20939/

And if the majority (a simple majority) of people vote that broken premium priced loco DLC should not be fixed, then I will, like the DB BR 155 itself (when going through tunnels on RSN on PS4), become silent about the matter... for evermore.... Remember to vote...!

• Like Like x 6
  28. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I agree, it is very annoying that the DB BR 155 audio cuts out every time one enters a tunnel on Ruhr-Sieg Nord. I think we would all be alleviated if someone took the liberty of resolving this very super extremely annoying bug.

• Like Like x 6
  29. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Ah, you’re actually going to tell us which areas we can and cannot access, cool!

• Like Like x 4
  30. Schnauzahpowahz

like.... a steam stream :o
    :cool:

it must be somthin then, don't recall you guys streaming all the loco packs

• Like Like x 2
  31. michael.j.meliambro

michael.j.meliambro Member

Good point. Dovetail managed to pack two-in-one with the BR Heavy Freight Pack AND the Amtrak SW1000R; why not do the same with these two for Peninsula Corridor???

• Like Like x 2
  32. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

I agree but posting this... sorry spamming this everywhere and every time being off topic is annoying

• Like Like x 4
  33. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

I like the look of this dlc. Also, this is the 3rd US dlc in a row, in case anyone didn't notice.

• Like Like x 2
  34. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

You sure?

• Like Like x 1
  35. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

Well, North American. Close enough. Same equipment, same gauge, generally the same operating rules.

Looking forward to seeing the MP15, but I'll wait a bit before picking it up. I was going to buy the SW1000R (I've spent a lot of time on SW1200's and SW1500's), but the lack of scenarios with it is prohibitive to me, especially since free-roam (or the Quick Drive equivalent) isn't a thing. If the MP15 has a lot of unique and fun switching scenarios with it, I'll probably grab it. If it basically replaces the UP GP38-2 on the Peninsula, I'll pass.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Well, I'm hoping the MP15 is better than the GP38 for this route. But, it is a switcher by design and probably just gonna be hanging around the maintenance facility in San Jose. Doing build/take apart trains (Like the SW1001R), and MOW work since their's only the 2-bay hoppers for freight.
    And this loco might be the only add-on that I can tolerate for PC (Other than the F40 :)).

• Like Like x 1
  37. synthetic.angel

I am actually very selective in choosing where to highlight the DB BR 155 issue. It is appropriate for this thread, because this is a thread about new DLC. And with new DLC you should be able to expect the following three things:

- that prominent features of the DLC have been tested (as was clearly not the case with the LIRR "Change at Jamaica" scenario - as a standout example); and,
    - that the marketing is truthful and clear (as is/was not the case with the Oakville DLC); and,
    - that if critical bugs "slip through the net" of reasonable testing, that they will be fixed ASAP (as is not the case with the DB BR 155).

It is not reasonable to be sold new DLC that has not been tested, that is given a woefully inaccurate description, and that is broken (with no intention to fix it). With respect to the DB BR 155, DTG have multiple solutions available to them, including:

- fixing the DLC ASAP; or
    - telling the truth on PlayStation Store about the DLC being broken; or
    - withdrawing the DLC from sale until it is fit for purpose.

But they do none of the above things, and presumably expect the issues to die away, and then launch a new DLC, and repeat the cycle. And at some point it has to stop. And when it stops, I will stop complaining as well - because, quite frankly.... I absolutely love TSW, and I want it to still be here, and fully functional, for the next thirty years (assuming I live that long). Can you imagine what TSW could look like in 2050... all those heritage Chinese MagLevs..... the Californian Hyperloop.... a working Class 47..... the first 30 miles of HS2.... decent textures on the West Somerset Railway... and a DB BR 155 that sings when it flies through tunnels.... ;-)

• Like Like x 5
  38. Big Papi34

Yeah. I mean, sure one was Canadian, but pretty much the same. Mp36, Oakville, and now this.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Hmm.. I understand what you mean but if you try telling someone from the US or Canada the two countries are the same.. you'll have a fight on your hands (just saying).

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

To me as an European, both US and Canadian trains and routes feel the same - this isn't meant as an insult; since I'm not from NA, I don't see the differences an American would easily spot.
    An American would say the same about German and Czech routes and trains.

• Like Like x 6
  41. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

The 503 leads the Deadhead holiday train. Okay that’s really cool. That thing can go pretty fast!

• Like Like x 11
  42. Big Papi34

I relize this lol. Lets just I kinda meant more or less America as a whole (well, North America) but I do see where your coming from.

• Like Like x 1
  43. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

The cost of this loco isn't a big problem to me but how broken it is when it's released,can't DT release anything that cost REAL money unbroken?

• Like Like x 3
  44. A_normal_name

A_normal_name Member

Have dtg ever released a dlc without any bugs?

• Like Like x 4
  45. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Nothing is EVER bug free. That never happens anywhere.

• Like Like x 3
  46. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Yes.
    At SCS

• Like Like x 1
  47. synthetic.angel

With the exception of Train Sim World and Fallout 76, I have found these games to be relatively bug-free (or, indeed completely bug-free):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_4_games

All of them. Pretty much. And if bugs do get found - they get fixed - very quickly. Unlike with the DB BR 155 on RSN on PS4. With some games like GT Sport (where they have the resources, admittedly), the bugs get fixed and patched within 24 hours.

Even the completely free racing simulation game called "RACING BROS" (on PS4), which is some sort of student project, is completely bug-free. And if you look at the credits for this game, then you will see that they actually went through a beta testing phase - and I suspect that it isn't a coincidence that the release version was bug-free. It's almost like "they tested the software", before releasing it for free (at no cost at all), and bug-free (no bugs at all).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  48. synthetic.angel

There is some really good news coming on this front, assuming that Covid-19 doesn't wipe out 50% of TSW's "more elderly" customers*... DTG are "splashing the cash" a bit... The investment made by new customers (on PS4 and XBox) is now coming to fruition, and DTG are planning to do some QA in the future. Check this out:

https://dovetailgames.com/vacancies/qa-team-lead

It's almost like they have finally recognised that they can't keep going on pushing out stuff, hoping that blind luck will apply, and that their products will somehow magically just work. That Job Description even includes a responsibility to "review and sign-off content before release". Wow....! That is going to be a massive culture shock at first.....! Unless, of course, the QA person is made more junior to this person.....:

https://dovetailgames.com/vacancies/junior-retail-operations-executive

......who has one primary objective: "Achieve and exceed revenue targets and hit all release date goals"

I can see these two guys having an argument at the water-cooler.... if they ever get hired, of course.

---------------------------
    NB: *they should be okay if they just play TSW, and don't get out much (like me....LOL... ;-) )

• Like Like x 1
  49. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

The LIRR needs to be upgraded and expanded in TSW. I do like the Peninsula Corridor route and the DLC's that are featured for that route but it does not make sense how there can only be M7's on the LIRR with no M3's, C3's DE/DM30's, or NYA GP38-2 to be seen in the route. Also, the LIRR needs to be extended with several branches to be included. The route ending at Hicksville seems way to early to end the route. We atleast should get the entire Port Washington Branch, Oyster Bay branch, Port Jefferson Branch, trackage extending to Ronkonkoma aftert Hicksville, and trackage extending to Babylon after Hicksville. It would be great if these routes could continually get updated and expanded. Also, the NEC route should get extended and fix the issues with crazy speed restriction in the East River/Hudson River tunnels. I really hope in a future update of TSW, the audio issues, fps stuttering, and routes that were developed early on can be fixed and improved upon.

• Like Like x 3
  50. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I agree with you on that we are Definitely due for a update for Lirr I hope they’ll surprise us with a Dlc of a locomotive in the future.

• Like Like x 2