PC Wheres The Editor??????

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Jonny, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Jonny

Jonny New Member

Actually where is the editor we were promised last year????

• Like Like x 17
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Still in development.

3. Perpetually in development, to be exact!

• Like Like x 8
  4. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

If Anthony says it is because Matthew said it

• Like Like x 4
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Never believe what is said, only believe what is done. Apply this to everything to avoid disappointment

• Like Like x 8
  6. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Here we go again!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

If you want editor, ask Dovetail if they employ you as developer. Than you will have access to it.

8. Yes, I also think so. If I do not see I do not believe.
    However, it is cowardly to throw the stone and then hide the hand ...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

The lack of updates really is worrying, we've seen absolutely no progress on this since we saw a brief demo months ago, maybe even over a year? Maybe they've hit some major problems, after all if it was all coming along nicely, surely they'd be showing us something to keep people happy?

I noticed on another thread yesterday they are advertising for developers (and many other posts) so either they've lost developers, key developers? or perhaps expanding?

In the meantime I can't see why they can't release some extra scenario's for each route to keep everyone happy and also add some extra services on service mode - Has NTP been sorted yet? They said they had called in a software engineer to examine why there were problems adding extra services on that route!

There are routes with track that you just can't explore, TVL for example, plenty of areas to explore but no service or scenario allows you to go there.

I'm a little concerned that if we don't see any progress on the editor by the end of this year, we'll never see it released.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

images.jpeg-6.jpg

No offence meant of course ;)

• Like Like x 9
  11. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Yes indeed. It'd help in refreshing the older routes keeping the interest going.

From your post and others I've seen I think that in many cases what people are actually after is a scenario or services creator rather than a full blown editor. An editor lite. That way they could get more use and enjoyment out of what they already have and not be waiting for new routes all the time.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

Basically, the equivalent of Quick Drive in TS1. Pick your train, pick your starting location, pick your time and weather.

In the years since playing Rail Simulator, Railworks, and now TS1, I must say I've probably played like 5 scenarios. Free Drive (after editing in-route) and the Quick Drive have been the vast majority of my driving.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ARuscoe

And Matt ruled this out explicitly

14. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Did he? Well that's a shame since I think it'd be quite popular. And you'd think it might be simpler to create and be easier to use than a full route building editor. Probably less resource heavy too. Ah well.

• Like Like x 2
  15. saint.russian

saint.russian Member

Last year??? No, you meant to say the year before last (soon it will be "2 years ago")

• Like Like x 4
  16. ARuscoe

Yup, I'd have to dig back into antiquity to find it, but there was a post where I specifically made this point and he specifically rebuffed it. I think having the ability to make services where you don't always see green lights would be a major step forward personally.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

Looked into Diesel Railcar Simulator, apparently they have a randomized service setup. You might be on a 10:00 train, but the higher-priority train that is set to meet yours can randomly be on time or behind time. It would certainly liven up the stock scenarios in TSW, instead of remembering where each train is in each scenario.

• Like Like x 4
  18. ARuscoe

There are all sorts of tricks and things you CAN build into a railway simulator to make it more lively, from track circuit failures, floods, broken down trains causing crossings to be closed, railworks so high speed trains are diverted onto slower tracks (with resulting congestion), all of the above. But nope... green all the way

Admittedly I just played a scenario on TSx and came across a red light that wouldn't bugger off, so it failed me, but still. I'd prefer some life to everything being plain sailing

• Like Like x 2
  19. nyswat19

nyswat19 Member

I can really understand why alot of people is fustratrated and wanting answers about the editor... promise last year.. no word or updates on progress.... and trains sum world are using unreal engines and can understand if it's to hard to make it easy for anyone to use... but may be if dovetail just created a update that can do the following .. maybe people will not worry so much of the editor...

1) More rail traffic.... being the only train gets boring and being a passenger is no excitement....gotta add rail traffic so when waiting for a train we can see other service pass by or for drivers able to get a challenge... delays on rail and even have those moments where trains are traveling the sane way and side by side and become a little race if the speed limit and signal allows it lol.. but adding more rail traffic bring life to the rails..

2) More diversty of trains. For example maintenance trains .. different passenger trains.. like for example the LIRR.. only m7 but missing the diesel and maybe even add the m3 as well

3) add a option to check to tickets.. and either fine or order them off the train next stop.. It should be easy just to check tickets and if they don't have tickets they get fine...

4) random events and radio system
    - person on track
    -medical emergency
    -train broke down for 2 to 5 mins
    -signal issue

5)muiltplayer mode
    Players can take control of a train and do a route with other players.. . If the game performance and servers can handle the load you can have 32 slot servers or private hosting for people who wants yo start a trains group for role play servers...
    I think with those updates I believe people wwould enjoy game more and have more people playing and staying active on the game...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  20. theorganist

Some interesting ideas there.

1) already happens, there are other trains on all the routes, however they might not be as busy as you want. I think some way of having delays on the line would be good as long as it was optional of course.

2) More diversity of trains would be good, although some routes already have quite a reasonable variety, depending on what add-ons you have. Certainly engineers trains would be nice to see. I think LIRR and ECW certainly could do with some DLC being released for them.

3) is quite niche, just like travelling as a passenger on the train. Would it be as easy to implement as you say, I don't know? I don't think it should be a priority personally but some kind of guard/conductor mode in the future would be good to see.

4) random events would be good, I think you would need to be able to turn them off and on though as not everyone necessarily wants that. Not sure persons on the track would be a good move though.

5) I am sure multiplayer will come in the future but personally wouldn't use it and I think the editor would probably be more desired

• Like Like x 2
  21. nyswat19

nyswat19 Member

Well the editor would solve everything lol but I think it's gonna be hard to make it a easy to use editor using unreal engines... I think thats why their is no information about it right now...and because a year went by and no status update makes alot of people wonder about the editor..

22. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Close thread, the DTG spokesman has spoken.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

As I understood Matt's comments in the stream whilst the customised UE4 editor is required for both scenario and route creation DTG were going to prioritise the scenario creation function with route creation coming at a later stage. I believe when DTG implemented the use of layers Matt mentioned in the subsequent discussion that ordinary users didn't currently have have access to the base layer. I wonder if this is one of the issues delaying a public beta?

24. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Whilst this would be nice and I'd be happy with just a Scenario editor (as would others), I'm pretty sure those comments of Matt's were made after the stream in Dec 2018.

25. DigitalRails

DigitalRails Member

DTG fanboy

26. theorganist

Pretty juvenile, using the word fanboy! It seems some people have a problem with the fact that some are actually happy users of TSW.

• Like Like x 4
  27. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

We will never get an editor for this game, stop waiting.

Yeah, eventually we WILL get an editor, but do not expect it soon. Probably a couple of years if not more.

• Like Like x 9
  28. DigitalRails

DigitalRails Member

You must be dreaming about being a happy customer of TSW. HUH

• Like Like x 2
  29. DigitalRails

DigitalRails Member

Today, I got refund for this game.
    Stupid game, stupid community.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

This seems like good advice. If you want to make stuff and tinker with stuff, TS2020 seems to be your best option. If you want to drive trains, then you're good with TSW.

Bye, then.

• Like Like x 3
  31. theorganist

Well you have clearly won the argument there, I have no more to say to counter your very reasonable level of discussion!

• Like Like x 7
  32. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Sorry you did not find this game to your satisfactory sim games like this aren't for everyone.

As for your second remark the game and the community are neither of what you said. Without the community the game would never get better. With our help and suggestions we are aiding DTG in making this a better sim game to play.

• Like Like x 4
  33. ARuscoe

I was talking about a post on this forum rather than on a stream, as I said above I would have to dig back through antiquity to find it, but Matt was explicit that they had no wish to create a scenario or "partial" editor and wanted to only put out a full editor. Obviously never got there, but that's what was said

• Like Like x 1
  34. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

I think I remember that too. It might have been in the December 2018 live stream?

35. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It’s one editor. You can’t release part of it.

• Like Like x 1
  36. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

Oh really? And DTG proved themselves listening to feedback right? For example, releasing less and less trains in each DLC and using already used trains too is a big wish of the community right? Or how every DLC includes a smaller map... Or how the scenery still looks extremly awful from distance. Or their complete ignorance towards giving atleast some information about the editor who they said would be released in 2017 back then.

Remember when they tried to release the BR 182? And the whole community said they would boycott it because Rapid Transit was hard bugged back then and they ended up fixing it before releasing the DLC? Thats how you get them to listen but thats obviously not going to happen again because this community is desperate, nothing else and DTG are abusing this fact to the full extend. Makes somewhat sense, because there isnt any competition but still.

• Like Like x 3
  37. ARuscoe

I don't see this as necessarily true.
    The one they use in house may well be. The one they've given to their second party devs may well be, but that doesn't mean that the scheduler couldn't be put out as a third party tool, even if only to allow for scenario development.
    Matt said they weren't looking to do this rather than it wasn't possible

• Like Like x 1
  38. ARuscoe

Nah, this was a post on here...

39. animalkosmik

animalkosmik Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. ARuscoe

Yup, that's the one... seems it ISN'T possible... fair enough

41. Trenomarcus

• Like Like x 2
  42. nyswat19

nyswat19 Member

Well all we can do is just wait and keep voicing what we feel that would benefit the game for all... everyone have great ideas... and some just fustrated... thats why it would be gokd for dovetail just to let people know any update.... thru my experience in gaming and scripting .. normally when something is mention and dont happen within a year or have no update from the creators.. its normally never happens.... and as i said before its on unreal engines.. it might be the fact its hard to make it user friendly or a issue of saving and etc that also mean updating the game and process of saving compiling and etc........ but i think they ran i to a snag and cant figure it out... and if they are short of developers.. well that will be a big problem alot of research and test is required.... botton line dtg should update the people.. after all this is a hobby and people passion....

• Like Like x 1
  43. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

From what Sam said in the second March Madness stream, in trying to comically answer the same question, it appears that the editor will not be coming any time soon. It was certainly more than the usual “no news on that at the moment” answer that tighter-lipped DTG employees give on camera!!!

44. Trenomarcus

Is this the video? Any timestamp for editor info?

45. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s the video. I think he refers to it more than once but I can’t recall exactly when, certainly fairly early on, because later in the video he is less forthcoming.

46. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I remember seeing Col Failure talking about the editor as well, cannot tell you exactly where in the video it is....he essentially said answering any question about the editor is very difficult due to its complexity (or something to this effect)

Honestly, I do not think the editor will come any time soon if it ever does. In my mind, I have moved on from it and just have accepted TSW content will remain as is with DTG keeping TSW in a very closed environment working internally with external devs to help produce DLC

Personally, I think the console release changed things in a big way....they most probably want to keep the PC and console versions in parity and having an PC exclusive editor / workshop would create a huge gap in content between the platforms, something I think they want to avoid.

Of course, I would love to be proven wrong with all the above :)

47. Maxxxxx

Maxxxxx Well-Known Member

I understand that some people are frustrated, but whining about it every 3 minutes doesnt help either. DTG knows that we all want it urgently.
    Instead of whining y'all could prepare your assets or make specific plans for your upcoming routes/scenarios.
    Also DigitalRails, your insults dont add anything to the conversation so stop please

• Like Like x 2
  48. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

well said

49. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Possibly because there is no dispatching logic in the game, just a scripted timetable.

• Like Like x 2
  50. aran.manning

aran.manning New Member

As always:

No update yet, but it`s in development.