PC Poll: Tsw 'classic' Lighting Vs 'new' Lighting

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Mar 29, 2020.

?
  1. Classic lighting - HH, GWE, WSR etc

69.4%
  2. New lighting - ECW, TVL, PEN corridor etc

30.6%
  1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I decided to create a thread and poll to see which one out of the two lighting techniques used, that the players of TSW prefer.

It's clear that DTG have changed the lighting techniques that they have previously used in the past, to another one which looks considerably different. For better or worse, you decide. Cast your votes and leave any comments you may have below.

I have provided a poll for you to submit your vote in, as well as provided a few examples by posted the images below so you can see the difference in lighting.

Personally I much prefer the classic lighting, as everything looks a lot much natural. There is no excessive bloom, colours actually look vibrant and saturated and scenes don't look washed out and over exposed.

Classic lighting:
    hst.jpg
    acton mainline 1.jpg

New lighting:
    377 1.jpg
    377 2.jpg
    377 3.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Maxxxxx

Maxxxxx Well-Known Member

I mean yeah, they've increased the bloom by a lot when it's sunny. And tbh, i dont like the bloom at all.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

For this to make sense, the screenshots have to be made under more similar lighting conditions.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Yeah. It’s not an even comparison.

5. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

I believe the reason why DTG changed the lighting in the new routes is based on feedback they had on poor nighttime visibility. Daytime does look better in the old lighting, but night time is significantly more enjoyable to drive because it is not pitch black anymore. In real life, light sources would solve this problem, but TSW's engine is pretty bad when it comes to rendering things in the distance (you can see the barrier where shadows are rendered in a sunny day), so I guess this is DTG's compromise to make everything at night more visible since they can't increase the light sources or rendering distance.

Here's a picture I took from this thread where people are complaining about the lighting:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/please-dtg-fix-the-lighting-issues.14998/

530070_screenshots_20190212135906_1.jpg

Another thread:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/530070/discussions/0/1743352529777793722/

6. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

U.R. engine makes everything look 'bright and fuzzy', not in just TSW

What we need...

Contrast slider
    Brightness slider
    Bloom slider

There are plenty of U.E. games with all these options

Unrelated, the master volume could go up another 100% at the least
    (Yeah there are the config files but thats a band-aid)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
  7. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

I ended up spending a few hours comparing GWE with the latest DLC on all light conditions and seasons and i have to be honest, i changed my vote the new system for me is vastly Superior across the range of lighting conditions, if you compare summer clear new vs old , the old way is extremely over exposed , there are some key times of day the old system looks brilliant but for the most part id say the newer method wins out overall. So i shall change my vote and eat humble pie :D

With that said i still find it overly soft and dream like with excessive bloom.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  8. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

new lighting is much better, id rather be able to tweak the settings and make things darker than not be able to see a thing.......and do nothing about it

9. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Yes Infact, FBS can adjust all these while in game, same controls for TS2020 in terms of adjustments and movie like screen settings. Even the rain is believable in FBS and that’s UE