Out Of Memory Crash With Ts2020

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by paulspencer1957, Sep 22, 2019.

1. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Go to the steam client, find any workshop content you are subscribed to
    Note them down
    Unsubscribe from them all on steam
    Go to your contents / assets folder and delete them all from steam
    Reboot your computer
    Let steam client start, go into TSx
    Click on Options, Tools, Clear Cache
    Do NOT let it reboot automatically as this starts 32 bit by default (don't ask why)
    Start TSx, try again

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

3. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your suggestions. I seem to have at least temporarily solved the issue by following these steps. Took me about 3-4 hours to fully complete and that’s with slow internet and a ton of third party content.

1. Unsubscribe from all workshop content and then uninstall the game through Steam (this doesn’t actually delete the game files in the Railworks folder)
    2. Delete the "Content" folder in the Railworks folder (this will delete all scenarios including any corrupt ones)
    3. Reinstall the game through Steam to the Steam Library folder on the same drive. Steam will recognize all the files in the Assets folder therefore reducing the download size for the reinstall. (This will also save a huge amount of time and hassle in reinstalling third party reskins/mods)
    4. Test to make sure the game launches as expected (it should) and then proceed with reinstalling any third party scenarios (since they were all deleted in step 2)
    5. Make a backup of the working "Content" folder to another location or drive so if another scenario were to become corrupt or broken you won’t have to go through all these steps again

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The first part of Step 1 - Unsubscribe from all workshop content is good
    I'm not sure what you gained from Uninstalling TS2020 as, like you say the files are not deleted
    When you get a Corrupt Scenario it does not affect the Asset files and only ONE Content file - the one you downloaded.

If you download a Scenario from the Workshop make a note of it's number which is unique.
    You can find it in railworks/content/routes/[folder number]/scenarios/ and delete it if there is a problem

Much easier than spending 3-4 hours when it will take 10 mins

Peter

5. sabatmichal8

sabatmichal8 New Member

I'm experiencing memory crash, too. (i tried 32 and 64 bit versions, crashing) Not when i start the game, but when i start track editor and try to place some rails, BAM! crashes.... I have 16 GB RAM with GTX 1650 4GB VRAM and an i7 so i don't know what is the problem.... It just crashes when i try to place a rail in editor. I tried even setting it to the lowest graphics and turning off any additional effects but it still crashes. (It wasnt crashing some time ago) Please help!

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Do you have any Workshop scenarios installed?

7. sabatmichal8

sabatmichal8 New Member

No, I don't have any. Just these default add ons that were with the game when i bought it (Sherman Hill scenario, etc...) But these were turned on even when it was working.

8. didiergamer65

didiergamer65 Member

These are all the crash and error messages I keep getting!!
    Error
    ERROR: Failed to create vertex buffer (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL)
    File: DxCommon\cHcVertexManagerDx.cpp LINE:1234
    Saved dump file to C:\TempDump 'v68.2c.dmp'
    RailWorks.exe has stopped working
    RailWorks
    Saved log to...
    C:\Program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks\TempDump\
    Exception code: 0XC0000005
    Exception info: OUT OF MEMORY
    The system is unable to run this scenario on the current configuration, we suggest lowering the graphical quality settings or attempting to run it in the 64 bit version if this fails to resolve the issue, please contact our Customer Support Team at https:\\dovetailgames.kayako.com
    RailWorks64.exe - Application Error
    The exception unknown software exception (0xe0434352) occurred in the application at location 0x75c3d36f.
    RailWorks64 stopped working
    Failed to create shader
    for the saved dump file error, I deleted the TempDump folder aswell as for the OUT OF MEMORY Permanently but it kept creating the folder itself again and again and it's so annoying because I am trying to play the freaking game properly!! waste of money dovetail would most likely refuse a refund with their overpriced crap!!
    Here are my specs:
    10GB of RAM DDR3 SDRAM intel core i7
    Graphics Processor
    2GB DDR3 AMD Radeon HD 7570 [DVI, HDMI, DP & VGA via adapter]
    and I have 400GB left in my hard drive on about "out of memory" kmt bullcrap

9. didiergamer65

didiergamer65 Member

I also bought the MTU Mk3 Enhancement pack from AP but when I try to drive it this shows up:
    Error
    An error occurred trying to load the Quick Drive Scenario

10. didiergamer65

didiergamer65 Member

I am tired of these freaking stupid errors I am considering quitting forever and refunding everything and if dovetail acts like ass holes and refuses to let me refund, I will sue them. As for AP, I don't know tbh. I like trains and just want to play a realistic game about it but these vertex buffer messages and dumps ruins the fun and it's like the game is encouraging me to quit!! I am so annoyed!!

11. didiergamer65

didiergamer65 Member

I also got this error message in utilities while adding a reskin from greatbritishrailworks!
    Train Simulator Utilities
    Unhandled Exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the app will ignore this error and attempt to run, if you click Quit the application will close immediately.
    Could not find a part of the path Assets\RSC\SouthLondonLines

12. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

I have seen the "Failed to create vertex buffer (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL)" error a couple of times. This is a DirectX issue - so it should be related to failure to draw a 3D object... probably as a memory issue.... but I have never had this error during a scenario... it has only ever happened in the UI, when there should be almost no demand on the GPU (I have 8Gb GPU anyway...), and anyway... there shouldn't be much DirectX stuff happening when in the UI....

There is a critical flaw with Train Simulator. The problem (in my view) is that the software is simultaneously:

- running scenario modules (even when you are in the UI and your scenario module should have completely ended)
    - running the UI
    - serving internet connections (such as updates from Steam)

None of the above would normally be a problem.... but I think that the individual functions are not being properly managed/prioritised/isolated/closed, so they continue to demand more and more memory resources.... non-stop.... until the memory runs out....

I see these issues rarely... but then I have about 40Gb of memory resources to chew through before you can get an OOM or vertex buffer failure. You should be able to comfortably run Train Simulator on 8Gb RAM with no dedicated GPU (and I can do this on my laptop).

13. car147

car147 New Member

I have heard on the rumour mill that DTG are actively looking at this issue. Having spent £100's on DLC etc i do hope they can find a fix, and i would even go as far to pay a bit extra even if it means the core of the game needs a change, as long as any DLC coulkd still be used.

Spec on my Lap top i use is i7 8th gen Cpu, 32gb DDR4 Ram, 3 SS drives 1 TB each and i constanlty get OOM issues. Especially whilst using the editor. Tried the virtual memory possible fix, nah still the same.

14. Plastic Pal

Due to the nature of the fault (in my opinion)..... you could have 1028 Gb of RAM..... and it would still fill up and you'd still get an OOM or D3D issue.... the bug in the software doesn't care how much RAM you have... it will eat whatever is there.... and when it runs out, you'll get notified....... some of the time...

I am not sure if you have seen the classic TV show "Open All Hours".... but basically TS1 is a bit like the cash register in the shop.... you have to work with TS1 very tentatively... and not make any fast movements or clicks with the mouse... etc., or do anything sudden.... or the register drawer will snap back shut and cut your fingers off.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  15. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Often if I get a crash in the scenario editor it is through moving the mouse and therefore the view too quickly.

16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I presume you have the South London Network installed on your computer?

17. ARuscoe

I don't think it "eats the ram", what it does is try to reference a memory cell in an abnormal way, trying to access something that has never existed (maybe never will) so it's something like "tales of the unexpected, RAM version"

18. Plastic Pal

Okay. Interesting idea. I am trying to account for three key features with these failures (that do happen very rarely on either of my systems, and they are both chock-a-block with content, routes, scenarios, etc...)....anyway - those features are:

- they are all memory related;
    - they occur completely randomly, in any part of the application, whatever you are doing; and,
    - even if you are doing absolutely nothing.... after a given amount of time (a long time in my case), you'll get a freeze or crash, either within TS1 or completely freeze-crashing Windows (requiring a cold re-boot).

So my conclusion is that something is continuosly addressing more and more RAM, and/or that previous enabled routines are not releasing the RAM that they were using. So you end up with the scenarios where:

- even if you do nothing, the system locks up, and doesn't even have enough RAM left to tell you that it has locked up...
    - you have nearly used all of your RAM... but then you do one thing - anything (and I mean anything including in Windows).... click any button/tab, alt-tab through to Steam, move your view when in editing mode or running a scenario/module.... (as both theorganist has experienced, as well as myself at Liverpool St station...), and it will crash and give you the OOM or the D3D Vertex message (even if there are no 3D objects being manipulated.....)

19. ARuscoe

Another option (whilst I think of them) is that something is accessing "protected memory", ie bits of ram that windows holds sacred, but these can move as windows does what it does. I have routes and scenarios which crash in the same point every time, and I have some which randomly crash (mostly ones where I'm shoving 50 consists in a single two hour scenario)... Who knows?

20. Plastic Pal

I could be tempted to start doing some proper memory diagnostics/monitoring every time I run TS1.... but... at this point... I can't actually be bothered. I have only had an OOM interfere with a scenario on one occasion, and if it crashes when I have been away for several hours, then I just reboot (although I don't like doing cold-reboots... on principle...).

Frankly - I am fairly sure that the OOM and D3D buffer errors can be easily reproduced in the Chatham Office, simply by starting TS1 and playing it for a few hours... or even starting it, running one scenario, and then leaving it sitting in the UI for a few hours.

Another reproduction exercise would be to install TS1, and then start playing it as if you are new to it... and just try all of the features, download a few scenarios from the Workshop (an expected feature to use), play a few scenarios, buy some DLC, open the Editor... open the Workshop Tab for a few minutes (without doing anything), etc....... If someone spends a day randomly trying out the standard features - then I am fairly sure that even on a high spec PC... that it will crash with an OOM or Vertex buffer failure.

21. ARuscoe

I reloaded TSx from scratch last month and only have OOM now when I seriously push the engine.

22. Plastic Pal

Well - yes - I suspect that I don't get many OOMs because as soon as they started happening I started doing some heavy maintenance, and now they don't really happen that much. But not everyone will do maintenance (and by this, I don't just mean basic stuff.... it's a combo of wild goose chase and search and destroy....).

Also - I tend to run TS1 in very short stints (under an hour), because I have got so much content to try out. I am quite dreading doing the 200 minute career scenario on Donners Pass.... just in case TS1 crashes at minute 197....

23. theorganist

If I playing a scenario on a longer route, I save it every so often just in case that happens.

24. sabatmichal8

sabatmichal8 New Member

can you plz guys help me?

25. sabatmichal8

sabatmichal8 New Member

on dis

26. Plastic Pal

Try this:

- Switch off your PC, and disable your internet router.
    - Cold boot your PC
    - Run Steam/TS1 in offline mode, and as 32 bit....

Do not open any other software.

Let us know how you get on.

27. didiergamer65

didiergamer65 Member

Yes This is the whole error message,
    Train Simulator Utilities
    Unhandled Exception has occurred in your application!
    If you click continue, the app will ignore this error and attempt to run, click Quit to close the application immediately
    Couldn't find a part of the path Assets\RSC\SouthLondonLines

28. didiergamer65

didiergamer65 Member

So
    I tried the other way of opening the rwp file with winrar and dragging it into my RailWorks Folder, but when I got into train simulator, the reskin was invisible and this is the Thameslink and Great Northern Class 387 Full (TLK and GTN) Reskin from greatbritishrailworks! completely failed to load even though I have all requirements and copied all of the GeoPcDx files needed so GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

29. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Apart from not finding the reskin on greatbritishrailworks, it was on Superalbs, there does not seem to be any problem with it
    Did you copy the Geos to the correct folder as shown in the readme which is Not the GN livery?
    I made this a few mins ago having downloaded it abut 10 mins ago
    Screenshot_Chatham Main & Medway Valley Lines_51.49436--0.14395_10-30-14.jpg
    Peter

30. didiergamer65

didiergamer65 Member

No no I downloaded the class 387 with the light blue doors like the GTR Livery from greatbritishrailworks and it takes you to mega, that is the one that is invisible

31. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Mega is just the place the reskin is hosted on not somewhere you look for reskins

32. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

Have you used logmate?

33. didiergamer65

didiergamer65 Member

I am always getting the motherf@@king OOM message everyday now it happens everytime and even when I just start my PC and after "Updating Scenario Database" Boom! The screen gets brighter, then goes black, The train simulator TS logo disappears from the taskbar, The loading screen shows in the corner and then disappears and boom
    RailWorks
    Saved Log to...
    C:\Program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks\TempDump\
    Exception code: 0XC0000005
    Exception info: OUT OF MEMORY
    The system is unable to run this scenario on the current configuration, we suggest lowering
    the graphical quality settings or attempting to run it in the 64- bit version, if this fails to resolve the issue,
    Please Contact our Customer Support Team at https:\\dovetailgames.kayako.com.

34. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Have you contacted Customer Support? In a polite manner?

• Like Like x 1
  35. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I think it is good that you have written down the OOM message -
    I doubt if anyone else had seen that message - NOT :|

36. sabatmichal8

sabatmichal8 New Member

I did it, aaaaaaand........ the 32 bit version didn't work BUT the 64 bit version seemed quite normal. (it normally ran on 32 bit version before) I think this all was because i've got a new, fast/er graphics card (GTX 1650) and it worked normally before i played on it. (I was playing on integrated Intel HD graphics)

• Like Like x 1
  37. sabatmichal8

sabatmichal8 New Member

WHAT THE HECK???? When I place rails in the editor with normally started TS64bit (with network and not right after cold boot, just normally started) it crashes.......

38. didiergamer65

didiergamer65 Member

It is such a shame of all these out of memory dumps and vertex buffer failures as this game could really be enjoyable but we consider just not even being bothered to play because it keeps crashing and it is annoying! I am sorry for swearing and all that, It is just a HUGE waste of money to spend on a game that doesn't even work properly and is highly amateur in peformance tbh is there any game by dovetail that can actually work properly because I don't think that exists. DTG also acts like money grabbers at times in blocking cracks and protecting their products forcing people to buy their amatuer peforming games! Also making DLC EXTREMELY expensive on the steam store like £11.99 for one LNER HST that doesn't even sound like an MTU at all! It rather sounds like a flippin Valenta and you can hardly even move the reverser or the master key so there you go you have just wasted your £12 on one train that can't even work properly that is DTG for you. DTG are POOR at designing trains and 3rd party companies like Armstrong Powerhouse and Just Trains are better than designing locos than DTG which is hugely embarrassing as DTG made this train simulator game but are poor at designing trains especially the sounds and people who didn't even make the game can make better trains DTG are just lazy and money hungry at times, the only good thing they can design are routes, THAT'S IT.

39. didiergamer65

didiergamer65 Member

Instead of wasting your £12 on that piece of crap that sounds like a Valenta, Waste your £12 on the MTU Enhancement Pack from Armstrong Powerhouse and then download the LNER+VTEC HST Pack for FREE from Alan Thomson Sim

40. ARuscoe

DTG didn't make the game, they acquired it from those who took it over from those who made the game in the first place.
    TSx is based on DX9 and so the engine itself is over a decade old...

Not gonna argue with the rest ;)

41. theorganist

Well that is just a minor thing isn't it, I mean who really needs routes!

I certainly agree not everything is perfect and I have had frustrating crashes but don't forget the game came out in 2007/08, when most people were still running windows XP, I am surprised it still works at all sometimes.

I agree the HST doesn't sound as good as the AP enhanced version and I wouldn't purchase it apart from possibly in a sale but it looks like a nice model and if someone gets plenty of enjoyment out of the HST then £11.99 is nothing! Also many people only like to purchase from Steam as all their add-ons are in one place. I like the SSS and AP enhancements as they do bring more immersion but don't forget they are much, much smaller operators compared to DTG so can probably take a lot more time over their products. The sounds and functions on DTG products have come along way since 2008, you should listen to the original Kuju class 166, it sounded like a clapped out Transit van!

As for the rest of the rant, why do people use phrases with the word "forced" in, who forces you? Do DTG send a couple of heavies round to your house? There are thousands of PC games and several other train simulators so you don't have to use TS1 or purchase any DTG content.

• Like Like x 1
  42. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Another rant from didiergamer65
    If you don't like it - don't buy it.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Ricardo Barth

Ricardo Barth New Member

I am experiencing the very same problem.

44. DROGE

DROGE Active Member

Long time TS player and installed TS2020 after a long break. Suffered constant out of memory crashes. After reading the info in this thread about sound drivers I disconnected by external USB sound box (I use a Digidesign MBox, from the sound production world) and using the PS's onboard sounds - no more crashes.

So for me at least, the problem was with the external sound card. I don't mind disconnecting it for TS use for now, but it's a bit of a pain as most other stuff I use on my PC requires the external sound card ......so I hope DTG can get to the bottom of TS's unwillingness to play nicely with external soudn cards.

45. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

With regard to tweaking the page file, since this fix, I have had no OOM errors.

Which is quite frankly amazing, and against the odds.

46. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Most computers have an internal sound card and you just plug wired speakers in.

• Like Like x 1
  47. theorganist

I thought it was generally accepted that external soundcards aren't really worth bother with nowadays, unlike graphics cards of course?

48. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Depends, there are people with high impedance studio headphones, that the onboard soundcard might have problem driving.

49. Ocke

Ocke New Member

I just got an "Out of memory" crash trying to open the custom consist creator. :|

P.S. 64-bit version and low graphics.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  50. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Are all your drivers up to date? I understand that outdated drivers can be the cause of these OOMs.