Will You Buy Tsw 2?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by longo239, Jun 11, 2020.

?
  1. Yes, as soon as possible.

2. Possibly, eventually.

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Another thing I don't get is DtG's new attitude of "no publicly available full editor will be released on pc because we don't want to treat the console folks like second class citizens". The PC has always been the platform of choice for modding and game editors for a lot of titles. Everyone knows this including console users; they like their machine of choice for the very reason that it is not a PC (ease of use, price etc) . It is my impression that by lowering the level of TSW2's creative utilities to the common denominator is a great excuse to not bother releasing fully fledged editors on PC. TS1 flourishes still because the openness of the game allows the community and 3rd party content creators to freely create routes, scenarios and rolling stock without having to go through DTG. TSW will not be like that and one cannot help thinking that that fits in with DtG's future plans very nicely thank you (remember FSW?) . I would be delighted to be proved wrong on this, but PC and console are simply not and never have been the same.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 10
  2. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

There is also the claim that the editor is too complicated for most people. I kind of understand that one from a support perspective. If they are going to put it out then they need to maintain it and respond to problems when any old regular Joe tries to use it.

A logical alternative is them giving the editor to a few experienced third-party developers. It’s not ideal, but it could eventually lead to new stuff from a wider range of developers.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

More than likely a yes from me, but I will be interested to see more in the coming streams before hand. Also I will wait for the initial feedback and how the transition regarding "preserved" items works before taking the plunge.

4. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

So Derail Valley, with a team of (I think) 4 people, just went thru a massive update, turning the entire game into a brand new entity. For free. It's honestly more fun, the dev team works with the community and is as transparent as they can be, and is already VR-playable. They worked on that update for a year, and radically changed the entire scope of the game, all for the better.

DTG has 100 staff members, and we're seeing a "We're just going to follow in EA's footsteps, send us money" mentality from them. I'm going to pass on TSW2.

• Like Like x 11
  5. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Comparing Derail Valley to TSW is apples to oranges. The only thing they have in common is they both have rails. DV is a good game sure, but it has a totally different focus to TSW...and quite frankly DV has it's own share of issues as well (for one an ugly assed Unity engine with all the issues that go along with that - like the constant stuttering).

6. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

And that's fine. For realism, I play Run 8, and for fun, I play DV. My main point is that DV still shows a pulse from the developers, who could all be comfortably seated about a card table. For the full-sized dev team that DTG has, they still manage to add fewer annual features than the Madden games.

• Like Like x 3
  7. gbeenz

gbeenz New Member

Although I voted for probably will buy it I will for sure once Raildriver is supported. I bought TSW when it was released and 1 additional route but when Raildriver and TrackIR didn't happen I went back to Train Simulator and ended buying quite a bit more content for it instead.

8. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

支持tsw2

9. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

I'm a console user (Xbox) I wouldn't feel mistreated if an editor would only be available for PC.... In fact I'd be quite happy for that to happen.... I realise that consoles have limitations....

• Like Like x 2
  10. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

longo239 I was one of the few, if not the only person who kinda saw this coming. Of course having stated this while I was still a member of the TSC Discord. The fact that the editor was not officially spoken of in well over a year and change. Was an indication that this company has bitten off a bit more than they could afford to chew.

I also believe DTG Protagonist is a breath of fresh air. I’ve followed him on YouTube for a few years and was surprised to find out he was the new CM. And very much appreciate how he is handling answers/information. Because we certainly don’t need a repeat of that introductory TSW stream prior to its release, happening again.

As far as whether I’m going to buy it, I probably will. But this company needs to understand that their integrity is in question, and that they’re going to have to prove themselves, double time.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  11. Dominik Tuchowicz

Dominik Tuchowicz Member

My Intro is as bad as TSW / CSX was from initial purchase till TSW2020.
    Read fully and you will understand my point.
    As a cheated user of fully paid (hidden Early Access) abandoned game tester
    aka TrainSimWorld TS2Prototype my opinion and hype on TSW2 is as follows:

Köln to Aachen = 73km so it will give up to 20 minutes of ride.
    LU = LIRR?, we`ll get a train every 10 minutes with all green aspects + 10 pax.
    CSX = A few scenarios probably

Plus paid update to UE4.22 instead of UE4.16, which other devs gives as an update to support 4K and dynamic skies in term of graphics quality + few % of more FPS. 4K will lag.

We`ll get re-tweaked menu for cosmetic feeling of changes, a tool to paint locos an QD.

The issue is that we`ll loose support of the TSW and content we paid for and which is yet buggy and feels of Early Acces. We were actually EA testers and moaners of abandoned EA.
    No multiplayer, no dispatch, no announcements in trains, no display boards on platforms.
    Features that some 5-10 years old simulators had.

On positive side we`ll get ICE3 with a 73km route and LU Bakerloo with unknown amount of traffic, signalling and safety systems quality etc. for a single price apparently.
    So even if technical quality will equal others DLC`s it's a fair deal for once.

As a new version, if it won't deliver correct passengers amounts, boarding/deboarding in masses (Tube style), announcements en-route etc, all of what WoS3 delivered quite correctly by new devs to to UE4 as well some years ago, plus busy traffic I`m refunding and will have to forget about of amount of money invested and hopes given to TSW from it's beginning ...

I really would buy again from devs who delivers so much updates to their old forgotten games, upgrading to newer version of Unity/UE with some bugfixes as they develop new games and discover new methods of programming instead of feeding greedy folks, who promises multiplayer in years now and then with beautiful Sales Team announcements then tell us that it wasn't planned directly as a feature ......

What's worse, if TSW2 is just a copy & paste of TSW1/2020 with just bugfixes and slightly corrected SimuGraph engine I will have an abandonware if I don`t pay for "newer version".
    On the other hand if it is just a copy & paste it will just avoid unplayable state for few months as it was the case with CSX then GWR, right devs?

They killed my hype with additional train for LIRR which I was hoping for to add traffic to LIRR schedules mode, I got a train and a REORGANISED cosmetic change, nothing added to traffic as it was advertised as "additional trains seen on scheduled mode".
    I got my train to drive and as an AI, but LIRR is still looking worse in term of traffic than after electrical failure, rail replacement by bus and Covid issues - amount of passengers and traffic.

Artwork, graphics team are brilliant at DTG. Same go to Sales Team for adverts.
    Managers, CEO and programmers are (NO COMMENT) while DTG exist in the industry for long, they show incompetent management of this project which leads me to lack of trust. Incompetent guys wouldn`t stay in gaming industries for too long. So, greedy? I can get that it`s a niche product, that`s why all little details counts to succes, right? Or it`s just hype-train to Train Sim?

Summary?
    As for excuse to crappy programming while it was a new project with promised features, instead of selling us same bugs to all old player base and cheating on us with stupid arcadey-points in game progress kiddy console style huge update, we should get this as an update or game replacement instead of pseudo-new development to cover beginner cheap programmers expenses on bug fixes even if it implies development from scratch which I just don't believe. As an excuse we even didn't get anything while the new players got free routes while the game swapped it`s name to TSW2020.

Why I don`t trust DTG?
    I bought the base game while it was CSX then bought most of DLC`s when new players got the TSW2020 for the same price of the base game back then, with more routes and they got Amtrak New York which old players did not received while we went a lot through non-playable state of the game a lot of times with downgrading graphics updates, GWR with disappearing tracks, no sounds, hang-ups, crashes, glitches making game unplayable with frequent crash report of TS2Prototype. They should upgrade routes the same way to guys who was there from beginning like for newcommers as a little sorry.
    I don't mind paying for the DLC`s but when we got invested in hundreds and cannot get what new guys got for the same base game price trying to make us happy by "upgrading" core to TSW2020 for "free" it's a bit shy. It's the same game. Now we have to pay for an upgrade with unknown quality of routes (in terms of programming and traffic). We have to pay for what we should get from the beginning.

Will I buy it?
    YES. To check if I'm quite right in this story. On Steam to be able to refund in case that I'm right.
    It is a bargain and don`t get me wrong. I`m not angry about new version.
    It`s even cheaper than separately bought routes with paid upgrade to core.
    I`m afraid what`s that exactly. 5 optical upgrades and adhesion sim is not really a new game.
    I don't want to invest anymore into a product that lacks tiny details.

I`m worried about the content outside of menus and HUD`s, under the hood.
    Will it be playable from day one? Is it just copy & paste to forget legally about previous version and it`s DLC? Multiplayer on the scope? I can live without it, imagine all console kids crashing into each other like in trucking game.
    TrackIR in simulation? A must. Maybe we`ll get it one day ... Or not.
    Small scripts for displaying arriving trains and departure times?
    Bakerloo Line will have 10 passengers waiting or a bit more while another one on Circle Line, 5 years old sim got around 200 with adjustable slider in options?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  12. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

Dominik Tuchowicz genuine word of advice. Because if no other company you’ve supported with your wallet, taught you anything.. is to Keep your expectations low.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Setting aside the mammoth issue of proposed non-portability of TSW content.... and the possibility that TSW content will not be supported at all (if this is actually something that DTG try to do, and yet continue to sell the DLC....), and the non-arrival of a full-blown TS1 style editor..... if you can set all of that aside...... then the TSW2 offering, as standalone DLC is likely to be slightly better than many have suggested:

Köln to Aachen:
    This will include the Talent, as well as the ICE. This has been fairly reasonably compared to GWE as a route (minus the freight...?), a fast non-stopper or limited stopper (ICE), plus a commuter all station type service. Basically, this is a passenger version of GWE plus RT.

LU Bakerloo
    The frequency of this route should be pushing 30 tph (trains per hour)... but they are, of course, almost identical services. The only variety will come if they have lots of depot moves and stabling moves, and preferably there will be a battery lcomotive with some flat wagons (to support night installation works....).

CSX HH
    This was, by itself, a truly massive DLC... not just in length and variety of (freight) rolling stock, but the variety and sheer number of services. It would come as a surprise, in the original form, to the console players. If they have actually extended and enhanced this DLC, then this will give a great deal of value to console players (more than OSD, I should think).

-----------------
    In short - the initial offering of TSW2, in its own right... is quite a good offering - a well curated mini variety of routes, at a reasonable price. The question though.... is whether you really want to start all over again with TSW2, and invest hundreds more pounds/dollars/euros over the next three years.... only to find your investment is again unneccesarily (but conveniently) made obsolete by a move to UE5 (in, say...2023...).

All I will say is this.... you can buy a low-end refurb gaming PC for about £150 that will easily run TS1.... and the TS1 content is a tiny fraction of the cost of "newly released" TSW DLC.... and TS1 itself is a decent simulator.... If I had to choose between spending £250 per year on TSW DLC and £250 per year on TS1 DLC.... then I know which I'd choose...... it would be TS1 every single time.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Dominik Tuchowicz

Dominik Tuchowicz Member

I`m on PC and I trusted DTG on TrainSimWorld as CSX was great indeed and offered a lot which made great feel of immersion, but that was dead in the water with every next DLC that came out. In term of features and quality.
    TSW2 will be partly back compatible, we`ll be able to play "old DLC" routes, but the new routes will be better programmed to a new better standard compared to what we have. It`s according to Steam and TSW2 website. So it will be almost the same.
    Making TSW1 abandonware. Already attention is quite low, now I think old DLC will be as it is.
    Then maybe every year we`ll get a new TSW back-compatible as it`s the case with TS as a bundle?
    Risky move with our DLC`s - what will happen in the future.
    I'm curious about Bakerloo Line as I love underground trains. But if it wont deliver a quality or details I`m out.

15. Plastic Pal

I have seen absolutely nothing to indicate that TSW2 will be backwardly compatible with anything from TSW at all. None of the original TSW material will have TSW2 features applied to it. "Preserved" is just pure marketing hype - extremely annoying marketing hype.

You are just getting a copy of TSW with TSW2. At most, you might have the progress stats from your new copy of TSW compiled into an umbrella UI that has got both TSW and TSW2 sitting under it..... but I am not even sure that you will be getting that.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Short answer: Yes.

Definitly I will buy it, especially for PS4. For the usual price of one route you'll get a new game or a complete UE 4.2x upgrade with three new routes and new editing features. Since the release of TSW for consoles in summer of 2018 a considerable collection has accumulated and it also makes sense to continue using them as preserved collection. But before that please download them again.

Finally "CSX Heavy Haul" is available for consoles and I can drive the six-axle GE4400 over a long mountain route. That alone is great. A lot of people are also happy to drive an ICE3 on a high speed route. You already had a similar experience in TSW with the Class 43 on GWE, but the ICE3 is significantly faster. Not to fortget a new subway route. I've already checked google maps and found out that the northern part of the "Bakerline" is above ground and we'll see some daylight and perhaps some other landmarks of London. The southern part of the route ends in the middle of the city and as in LIRR (near the Atlantc Terminal) you also have there an exposed subway yard under open sky, where it could be possible to see the "Shard" building.

August 6th can come and keep it up DTG! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dominik Tuchowicz

Dominik Tuchowicz Member

From Steam
    Preserved Collection

Your collection comes with you. Train Sim World has always been about your collection, your choice of Add-Ons from your favourite region, time period, diesel, electric, passenger, freight – your way.
    Your purchased Train Sim World 2020 Add-Ons will be available to play in Train Sim World 2.

So it shows clearly that bought DLC will run with TSW2.
    My biggest issue is the quality itself of TSW2 in term of details which makes or breaks immersion.

18. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

It only comes to ts2 in the form of a tsw2020 game within a game section. No cross usage with ts2. At all.

• Like Like x 2
  19. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

This thread is as good a place as any to insert myself into the conversation, as it has largely been thoughtful in nature. I've had to clean up a few threads this morning where users opted to name-call rather than actually debate the topic. Not on my watch...

I digress.

When taking on the role of community manager here I was given the task to help Dovetail Games improve the level of clarity and transparency they have with their community. Whatever other issues might be perceived, it was felt that this would do the most to avoid setting unrealistic, inaccurate or improper expectations of what Train Sim World 2 is and is not.

Last week's Q&A session was the first step into greater transparency and it's clear it's taken many of you a little by surprise. Between now and the launch of TSW2 you'll get a better understanding of how this approach to features is being used, and with the launch of the roadmap (currently scheduled for one week before the game is released) we're optimistic that you'll be fully informed at all times of what is and what is not.

DTG is an aspirational company. They have very big goals regarding what they want to achieve, and in the past the mistake has been in talking about those goals before really evaluating what it would take to achieve them. While the aspirations still exist, there will hopefully now be a sustained effort to ensure that they're not talked about publicly until the timing is right: ie when they're in active development. Sometimes plans will change. They have in the past, they will in the future, and part of the goal is to ensure that you're informed when changes occur.

In the thread above someone stated that I had two months to try and convince you to buy TSW2. The game either sells itself or it doesn't. I make sure your feedback is properly represented inside DTG, and make sure DTG is properly represented to you, nothing more.

We'll be running dedicated question and answer sessions on each route we have in the new game - and that will be a mission to stay on topic. We'll then run a final all-topic Q&A for anything that either hasn't been covered already, or where further clarification is requested/required.

Obviously in the run up to TSW2 speculation will be rampant. This is normal. We'll try to steer incorrect assumptions in the right direction, but ultimately you will believe what you choose to. My only request is that it is the topic that is debated and it doesn't descend into name-calling.

• Like Like x 12
    • Helpful Helpful x 7
  20. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

So, from my perspective, there don't appear to be any spectacular changes in terms of how the game will play, so I'll treat this as a straight TSW2021 update in which the new features (for me, 4K is probably the biggest thing I've been waiting for) aren't applied to any of the DLC I've already paid for. I'll keep playing the routes I've got within the TSW1 framework, and then, when the time comes that I fancy some new routes, I'll see if this 'TSW2 bundle' of three new routes is available on sale. If it's cheap enough to balance cost and play time, I'll probably pick it up, but that'll certainly be down the line after some of the inevitable launch bugs have been worked out.

• Like Like x 3
  21. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Just one question from me DTG Protagonist, which you may or may not be able to, or want to answer.

Is there any flexibility in what's been announced with the forward compatibility of TSW2020 DLC's.

By which I mean will the decision to not make it a fully integrated and updated part of TSW2 be looked at again due to the apparent high level of disappointment from the community about that in particular.

If DTG had announced that TSW2 was a new game that you all have to pay for, but all DLC's were forwardly compatible you would have had a very different reaction to the reaction you have now.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

As it stands no - however depending on how things develop as to variety of content and features I may pick it up when the product is more mature

• Like Like x 1
  23. longo239

Snapshot of the poll, Monday morning after Thursday's Q&A.
    Interesting to see how or if opinions change as more information is released.

190 votes
    46.8% - Yes
    37.4% - Possibly
    15.8% - No

24. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

You're asking for a woolly answer there. If I were to say yes it would equate to "DTG SAID THEY'D MAKE EVERYTHING WORK!!1" That's not what you want. My answer is no.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. longo239

Thanks for
    Thanks for your honesty, don't like or agree with it, but accept it. Personally, I think DTG are missing a trick.

• Like Like x 5
  26. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

To be fair it was a mammoth question :)

• Like Like x 5
  27. Plastic Pal

Basically, I think what DTG are saying with "Preserved" content, is a bit like the following situation:

1. Codemasters make a game called "Dirt Rally 2"
    2. Codemasters then make a game called "F1 2020"
    3. Codemasters announce that if you buy "F1 2020", then, very graciously on their part, you will be able to keep your content in Dirt Rally 2. The collection of cars you have built up in Dirt Rally 2 will be "preserved" - and you will be able to continue to use Dirt Rally 2 cars on Dirt Rally 2 tracks. You can uninstall Dirt Rally 2 if you want, and then reinstall Dirt Rally 2 with cleared progress for your career, if you want. This is a great new feature in F1 2020 - the ability to continue to use a previous product that you've previously paid for, in the way that you've always used it. Dirt Rally 2 cars will not run on the F1 2020 tracks, and none of the features in F1 2020 will apply to any of the Dirt Rally 2 content, which will be preserved. Almsot as if they were completely different titles.

• Like Like x 2
  28. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

I'd maybe compare it to the early PS3 - The initial consoles (before they slimmed) had a PS2 built in* - so you could play PS2 games on your new system but wouldn't get any of the new PS3 features apart from upscaled graphics from the HD output. I'd look at it as TSW2 has a copy of TSW included within it, so it will play older content but won't have access to the newer features. (Obviously that's an oversimplification but that's down the rabbit hole of technology)

*Not an Emulator like the XB360, PS2 hardware was built in, which is one reason the early PS3 was so damn expensive! Later PS3 revisions omit the PS2 hardware to reduce cost so can't play older games

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  29. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

When you buy a PS3 or xbox, you know that PS4 and xbox one will be the beginning of the end for your system.
    We invested in an evolving idea (tsw 2018-2020). CSX HH has made the leap to tsw2. This is a case of a flawed build, hitting the buffers and expecting the consumers to partially take blame for unreasonable expectations, pick up the tab, and accept that purchases will be abandoned.

• Like Like x 3
  30. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Almost. Except TSW and TSW2 are not different in any significant way, from what they showed us so far. It's proven by the fact that TSW content works in TSW2 (except without the new features).

Sorry but your analogy makes no sense, because Dirt Rally and F1 are completely different games, about different topics, with different styles, and were probably built in a different way. TSW and TSW2 however are basically the same, except TSW2 improved a bit upon TSW. And you can't use Dirt Rally cars in the F1 game, so I don't even see where you got this analogy from.

31. Plastic Pal

What do you mean by "It's proven by the fact that TSW content works in TSW2"....? Which TSW content?

Which TSW content will work in which TSW2 content? Which TSW loco will work in which TSW2 routes....?

Can I run the TSW Class 33 on the revised CSX:HH route? Will the DB BR 155 from TSW work on Cologne to Aachen?

• Like Like x 1
  32. Dinosbacsi

That's why anyone who has a little brain buys a PC. There are no marketing gimicks, no PC2 announced, or PC Pro just one year after the release of PC. Sure time flies and after a while your PC gets left behind, but you can always upgrade it or buy a new one if it's just too old, and generally your PCs lifespan regarding what new games it can run will be much longer compared to consoles.

Now this is kinda off topic, not trying to start another console war here, but I just said this because this is not a reason to accept that TSW2 is a disappointment. You're talking about an evolving idea, but currently there is minimal evolving going on here.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Dinosbacsi

My dude you seem to be really left behind if you don't know about the whole "preserved collection" thing. TSW content WILL run in TSW2. It won't get the new features, and you cannot run old locos on the new routes, but you can play your old TSW addons straight from TSW2.

34. Plastic Pal

I can play my TSW add-ons straight from TSW.

35. Dinosbacsi

You can play your TSW addons from TSW. You will also be able to play your old TSW addons in TSW2. Wow, almost like they're exactly the same game, no?

36. Plastic Pal

On my PC, I can currently play TSW add-ons straignt from Microsoft Excel. I can also launch TSW from Microsoft Word. Or a HTML file. Or a .BAT file.

But I can also run my TSW add-ons straight from TSW.

TSW2 is not required. If you have it, it doesn't add anything to TSW.

37. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

This topics getting evermore complicated....
    Will I be able to run TSW via my old gaugemaster controller or will i need DCC?

• Like Like x 3
  38. Dinosbacsi

That's exactly everyones problem, lol. Looks like we finally agree?

39. Plastic Pal

I can run TSW content on TSW.
    I can run TSW2 content on TSW2.
    I can launch TSW from a button in TSW2.

I can run Dirt Rally 2 cars on Dirt Rally 2 tracks.
    I can run F1 2020 cars on F1 2020 tracks.
    I can launch Dirt Rally 2 and/or F1 2020 from a button in Microsoft Excel.

40. Dinosbacsi

No, that's not how it works. TSW2 play the old TSW addons, straight from TSW2. You don't launch the game from an another game.

At this point I don't know if you're just trolling or really don't understand, but whatever, I think I made my point, let's not flood the thread anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  41. Plastic Pal

No. You seem to imply that being able to run TSW content.... "preserved" content....... in TSW2...... has some meaning, when it doesn't. It means absolutely nothing. Until someone can prove otherwise.

The marketing whizz, to say that you are very lucky that your TSW content will be "Preserved" is.... well... let's just say that in time.... it will be regarded as an "iconic" moment in the history of marketing.

It might even be regarded as "seminal".

I can see future marketing campaigns from Coca Cola..... "You can buy six cans of Coke and put them in your fridge. And they won't have any impact on your milk. Your milk enjoyment will be preserved. Buying some Coke won't ruin your enjoyment of your milk. Seriously - you can keep both drinks in the fridge at the same time. Here at Coca Cola, we respect everyone's right to drink the milk that they've purchased, if they really want to drink milk. Your milk drinking pleasure won't be adversely affected if you buy some of our lovely Coke."

• Like Like x 4
  42. Plastic Pal

I think you will find that this is exactly how it will work.

You will be launching a tweaked version of TSW from TSW2. The original TSW UI might be stripped away, and the TSW UI bits then run under the TSW2 umbrella, but the TSW engine will be used for the TSW content, and a TSW2 engine will be used for the TSW2 content.

You will be able to download the TSW DLC for use in TSW in its own right, or for use in TSW under TSW2.

If you are lucky, the new TSW2 umbralla will start counting stats from TSW content (afresh). That's it.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

He's Synthetic.Angel under a different account.

44. Dinosbacsi

Dude, no. Go watch the stream again.

If it would work the way you say, then every TSW addon would work straight away at launch in TSW2. But they even said it will probably take time for every TSW addons to become "preserved" and usable in TSW2, because some minimal changes are required, as they mentioned a few bugs popping up and such.
    Also if it were like what you say, then you wouldn't need to download the same addons again, which again, they said themselves you will have to.

But that doesn't mean they're different games. There is no need to launch TSW from TSW2. You just tweak the old addons a little so they work fine in TSW2 and that's it, but 99% of the content remains untouched. And that's exactly what they're doing, they said it themselves, so I don't know where you can this "TSW inside TSW2" idea from.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Factor41

I do actually think that is the issue everyone has with this. The TSW1 content will run under the TSW2 app, but those routes obviously run on the legacy version of UE4, while the TSW2 routes run on the the new version (I suspect this will be a huge install). It absolutely would have been possible to roll out TSW2 as TSW2021 with shiny new features that will only be available on DLC from now on - and say there's a package available with three routes which use those new features. The older routes, instead of being 'preserved' would the like the Gran Turismo 6 'standard' cars without interiors etc, compared to the new 'premium' models.

The issues with this would be that 1) they'd ideally like to bundle the new routes as the package for new buyers so the trophies would need to be re-jigged yet again and become even more of a mess, 2) the standard locos would be incompatible with the new routes which nobody would understand and everyone would get salty about, and most importantly, 3) they couldn't charge us all for the update and there would be no way to ensure everyone bought the new routes to get the shiny new features.

On the subject of trophies, did any of the streams mention how that would work? Presumably the trophies for the existing routes stay within TSW1 so there's no way they'll be triggered by playing them in TSW2 regardless of how many requirements you meet (not that they worked most of the time anyway)!

• Like Like x 1
  46. Plastic Pal

My general understanding is that they intend to mop up a few bugs with the TSW DLC content, and then freeze it in a TSW specifcation - no new "TSW2" features will be added (like adhesion). None of the other TSW2 plug-ins will function, like the Livery Designer, on the TSW content.

I am not 100% sure, but I am fairly sure that TSW2 will, in effect, include the older UE engine to run TSW content (alongside the newer UE engine to run the TSW2 content). They will do this so that anyone who buys TSW2 for the first time (without buying TSW first) can purchase TSW DLC and run it "in" TSW2. These would still be TSW locos only on TSW routes.

The cleanest way to manage the TSW DLC would be to have one set. That set would then be run in TSW (for anyone that doesn't buy TSW2), and it would be run on a copy of the TSW engine "in" TSW2 (for everyone else).

This way you maintain one set of TSW DLC, and one version of the TSW engine (the bulk of the TSW content). You then have the current TSW UI for TSW. And a TSW2 UI (which sits above both engines) in TSW2.

Any other arrangement would become viciously complex, very quickly. But I could be wrong - they might have opted to go for a viciously complex arrangement. Or they might have found a solution which is better than what I am suggesting. We will find out.

• Like Like x 1
  47. longo239

And, like this post, your comment has added what to the discussion?

Doesn't matter who is or was or wants to be! You could be Matt Peddlesden for all we know because you never disagree with a word he says and we never see you both posting at the same time!!

He is stating his opinion and making valid points to a discussion.

• Like Like x 7
  48. Plastic Pal

If you have independent installs of TSW and TSW2, then I don't see the TSW trophies being impacted by running TSW2. But I don't actually know... But I think the DLCs being run would be reporting to the application that launched them (and its trophy set).

As an aside -TSW2 might have been an opportunity to fix all of the trophy/achievement/stats issues - I hope that they have done something here, other than to just create another set of trophies and a Mastery v2.

I will probably get TSW2 on PC.... I don't intend to invest in TSW2 DLC on a console that is due to be replaced by PS5 in the next six months. I have the basic set of PC DLCs for TSW, which I will "delete" and then "re-install" through Steam.

49. longo239

I've never got the point of the trophies or the Mastery personally. I agree there should be some record of progress and it will be interesting as to what the Driver's logbook entails.

50. Factor41

Yeah, I think that might be the issue. I can't see them creating a duplicate set of Trophies under TSW2 for all the legacy routes and locos, and if you're playing them under TSW2, the original trophies won't trigger. Even if you have TSW2, if you care about Trophies, you'd be better off playing the old content under TSW1 and just having both on your system. That being the case, I hope there's an option to NOT have the preserved content under TSW2 if it means having the whole DLC installed again in a different folder. Man, I hope they've thought this through!

• Like Like x 1