Cornwall > Pnz To ...

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by railway12, May 10, 2020.

1. railway12

railway12 Well-Known Member

Hello, I would really like to see at least one Cornwall DLC, modern would be best like 2015 or later. The 2000s would also be interesting but I prefer it to be made in >2015. I would like to start at Penzance because it has got a small but also fancy depot and it’s a nice place to start when seeing the seaside and St. Michaels Mount, so I suggest beginning from Penzance and then heading towards Truro. With the St. Ives and the Falmouth branch lines included. That would be a total of about 42 miles so should not be a problem and quite doable. But I have absolutely no problem when going beyond or when splitting Cornwall in a few DLCs. Or I am also pleased when getting any part of Cornwall. I have listed all existing lines in Cornwall giving you an overview of the area, if there are other suggestions considering Cornwall.
    Maps are attached

Starting with the local branch lines with Classes 150, 153 to the commuter Plymouth Service with 150 or 158 and Exeter Services with usually Class 158 operating, and to Bristol and Cardiff with sprinters or the new castle class. Not to forget the services to London Paddington with Class 43 or 802. Also, the shunting work in Plymouth and Penzance should be made as well. And lastly a few cargo services with mostly class 66. And Cross Country is operating here too with Classes 220, 221 to far away destinations like Edinburgh or Birmingham. But all Trains cannot be made of course – so if I would choose from these Locos then I would pick the already existing 08, 43, 66 if it's not too much work upgrding those from TSW with the 150 the backbone of Cornwall for many years and of course the 158 and maybe the Class 57 as an extra Loco DLC.

And it is also worth mentioning that the branch lines wait for their service when the 43 or the 802 is delayed – happens nearly all days – then I would make it in one or more Scenarios to bring some realism in.

Why is Cornwall a fantastic area for TSW? Because of the beautiful scenery (seaside, tunnels, bridges, stations, landscape, sights) of Cornwall combined with the Graphics of TSW would surely make it stunning. Also, there are quite a few versatile services from Cornwall.

I hope this sounds interesting for a possible future DLC. Cornwall a must have for everyone!

The Lines
    Cornish Main Line > 79 miles
    [​IMG]
    St Ives Bay Line> 4 miles
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Maritime Line > 12 miles
    [​IMG]
    Atlantic Coast Line > 21 miles
    [​IMG]
    Looe Valley Line > 9 miles
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tamar Valley Line > 15 miles
    [​IMG]
    Various Cargo Branches > ~12 miles
    [​IMG]

The Services
    Red old – when Route is based on 2015 like GWE
    Blue new – when Route is based on 2019/2020

Cross Country
    Newquay/Penzance – Plymouth – beyond > 43/220/221
    GWR
    Newquay – London Paddington > 43/802
    Penzance – London Paddington > 43/57/802
    Penzance – Plymouth/Newton Abbot > 143/150/153/158/255
    Penzance – Exeter > 143/150/153/158/255
    Penzance – Bristol/Cardiff > 150/153/158/255
    (Penzance)/St. Earth – St. Ives > 150/153
    (Penzance)/Truro – Falmouth > 150/153
    Par – Newquay > 150/153
    Liskeard – Looe > 150/153
    Plymouth – Gunnislake > 150/153
    Penzance TMD/Laira T&RSMD > 08
    Colas Rail/DB Cargo
    > 37/66/67/70

The Trains
    Running: Local, Medium, High-Speed, Cargo and Shunting Services

Claas 08 - Doing some shunting at Penzance TMD
    [​IMG]
    Claas 43/Claas 255 Castle - At Marazion
    [​IMG]
    Claas 57 - Having a break
    [​IMG]Class 143 - The good old Pacer
    [​IMG]
    Class 150 - Looking good
    [​IMG]
    Class 153 - Entering Truro
    [​IMG]
    Class 158 - At Penzance waiting for Service
    [​IMG]
    Class 220/221 - À la Cross Country
    [​IMG]
    Class 802 - The new generation
    [​IMG]
    Class 66 - On Fowey Branch
    [​IMG]

I have also found some videos for those who've got interested. The first video shows the route from Penzance to St. Earth and the St Ives Branch line, the other one features the Atlantic Coast line and the last one is showing an overview of the Maritime Line. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 89
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I would love to see something like this added to TSW.

• Like Like x 11
  3. dojin19503

dojin19503 New Member

This would really be a lovely route for TSW

• Like Like x 5
  4. chris-penny

chris-penny Active Member

This would be a really good addition to the game!

• Like Like x 2
  5. dojin19503

dojin19503 New Member

Bump

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Nice proposal. How does it tie together. Are you requesting PNZ-PLY as the spine of the route?

• Like Like x 3
  7. railway12

It would also be nice to see PNZ-PLY but it's like about 78 miles. I mean it would be nice but I know DTG doesn't cover so long routes so I did not request it "directly" but mhhh ... But I want a few branch lines included because they are one of the most beautiful lines I have seen so far. Seaside, Bridges, Forest, Castles and much more. And I chose to begin from PNZ because there's a depot where quite a few movements are taking place. So that there are quite a few services as mentioned above with a nice variety of stock. So I am reqesting PNZ to Truro with St. Ives Branch line and Maritime line modern ~2015 - I would also make it longer but that's the most realistic. But I also have given information about other lines in Cornwall to giving DTG a look to were they could probably extend.

• Like Like x 2
  8. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

I think it'll be a while before this one gets looked at - With Just Trains having recently (as in within the last year) done Plymouth to Penzance for TS Classic it'll be a while before DTG consider remaking it - it would be bad form to stomp on Partner Program 3rd party devs

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. dojin19503

dojin19503 New Member

Yes it was made recently for TS which is a shame because the Unreal Engine 4 would have made it more spectacular. But also Dovetail made GWE on TS and it's in TSW too. So there's a posibility this route may also come.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I think the western mainline PAD - OXF predates DTG back to the Kuju days... I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

• Like Like x 1
  11. fabdiva

The Kuju GW route was the first ever route for EA Rail Simulator back in 2007 - so it's TSW remake was 10 years later

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

This would require the extension of the great western express route to penzance which is long. This would also require the great western express route from London Paddition to Reading to be electrified and moderrnized and I don't think we will see that anytime soon.

13. fabdiva

Oh should also add Pacers were vary rare visitors to Cornwall, they are restricted to mainline only and certainly would only be send down if absolutely desperate and there was no other option. One of the 143s gained a Kernow badge after making it to Penzance.

• Like Like x 2
  14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It would require neither of those things. It would be a separate route in Cornwall.

• Like Like x 3
  15. fabdiva

Yeah, Penzance Crews don't go further East then Exeter

16. railway12

Interesting didn't know. But yep that's right the pacers where never really home in Cornwall, they normally came from Plymouth and Exeter but since a few years they are not visiting Penzance anymore, not really. HSTs are mainly operating here with sprinters beeing the backbone for quite a few years.

17. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Pacers being withdrawn in general.

18. railway12

Yep I know that pacers are taken out of service. But it's kind of nice that Pacers got badges when coming to Penzance.

• Like Like x 1
  19. railway12

A couple of days ago Matt was streaming the Cornish Main Line on TS1. And when he got asked about cornish content he answered it with I would love seeing something like this in TSW, so I think this thread needs a

• Like Like x 1
  20. railway12

<Refresh>

21. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

The Hayle to Truro section of the mainline is an extremely old railbed ~1834. (https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Hayle_Railway) It was one of the original coal inbound /tin outbound lines set up to supply the mines in central Cornwall. Truro itself wasn't actually connected to Plymouth until May 1859.

I would suggest that the line does reach Lostwithiel so that those who like freight can do the China clay lines as they can go down the freight only branch line to Fowey. The clay lines would potentially bring in the Newquay line, where on Saturdays where the 43's used to and I now assume the 801 now head up the branch line to provide a Newquay- Paddington option

The engine shed at St Blazey is I have heard to be the one that Thomas the Tank Engines shed at Tidemouth was designed on. It also has the last working turntable in Cornwall.

The line between Liskeard and Bodmin would excite peeps as its a mainline that goes to single track high up over the woods of Trago Mills viaduct. Going from Bodmin-Liskeard in amongst the trees you have also got a incline which when wet causes the trains- especially the first of the day- all sorts of fun and games.

Anyway Kernow Bys Vycken

Dave

• Like Like x 2
  22. railway12

Oh, the freight drivers yes ehm they should be happy too. Your suggestion doing the line untill Bodmin is also quite nice. But I personally think St Ives is a must have when doing Cornwall. So another option is doing the main line untill Bodmin with the cargo branches including the St.Ives Branch line and leaving the Maritime Line behind. That would be aorund 55 miles. Of course cargo drivers would prefer your option, but as a passenger driver I'll stick with my suggestion. The Newquay line would also be very nice, I even think there are some cargo sidings on this route featured in the Par to Newquay video. So again in Cornwall all routes are interesting.
    Yes i've heard that the sheds at St Blazey nearly look like those in Thomas the Tank Engine. Would also be nice including those.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  23. dave from Cornwall

Oh I don't disagree that St Ives line is the jewel in the crown in Cornwall. However I don't think Dovetail would appreciate trying to simulate all that water? As I would be seriously grumpy if during high winds there wasn't white water out to sea crashing against the beaches!

The Liskeard to Looe line is rather exciting with the big loop up around to the back of the station and it follows the water, and when it rains is often flooded (probably a nice scenario there!)

The Newquay line is the way that IMERYS get the china clay down to Par/Fowey. So to keep peeps happy who like 66's and freight you would need at least some of that line. There are a whole host of little shunting lines up around the driers. You have also got a freight only line out of St Austell for the driers at Parkandillack http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/parkandillack-branch-2.html

The Maritime line is probably the most boring of the passenger lines with exception of the viaducts over Penryn with a gorgeous view of Falmouth in the distance.

But I think we dreaming, as they have said TS1 has got it, so they are unlikely to do it afresh.

D

24. dave from Cornwall

I've been thinking...there is actually one train missing from this thread and from GWE DLC...
    The sleeper!

Off wiki the re-engined 47's of the 57's.

How did they get missed off the GWE...its diesel and they like old engines...

Yes its only one train a day...but it is there :)

D

• Like Like x 1
  25. railway12

Yep. It hasen't been made. But for example when doing Penzance you also have some shunting services which includes the shunting of the sleeper waggons, so it would make sence including that here.
    Also i like your idea with the looe branch and the flooding scenario. Nethertheless DTG need to make a sprinter when doing Cornwall as it's essential. And I think the St. Ives branch would work cause the water from other DLCs like Main Spessert Bahn actually look fantastic. I would really like to see coastal lines in the UK. So when considering doing Cornwall coastal lines like Long Rock, Penzance, St Ives and Looe should be included. Besides DTG got a big advantage, they could easily get two fellows from the fishing section of DTG and do the water stuff. Sounds like a plan. ;)

26. dave from Cornwall

I think we might be in the minority of two...looking all hoards of people agreeing with us on this thread...back to the North or East we go...

• Like Like x 1
  27. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Given the amount of TSx DLC (DTG and 3rd party) in the southwest and how popular they are I don't think that you're alone

• Like Like x 2
  28. dave from Cornwall

That is reassuring to hear! :)

29. fabdiva

I don't think Cornwall will be a high priority given there's been a TS Classic route released within the last year. I think for the most part they are trying to cover new ground or where they have remade (GW and NEC) the originals were over 10 years old.

• Like Like x 1
  30. dave from Cornwall

I know, I know, I know... :( I can at least dream of driving past my parents house on a 150?

31. Dtl15

Dtl15 New Member

YES, for Cornwall. I'd buy it right away. I totally would love seeing some sprinters running the branch lines and express sprinters aswell.

• Like Like x 1
  32. lucas_5_5

lucas_5_5 Well-Known Member

Yes this has all to be a good dlc...
    High speed express, stopper sprinters, branch lines, cargo...
    We already have the class 43 and 66 (that only have to be updated) and the class 800, class 158 and and good old 143 pacer Will be interesting to put our hands on.
    Also, the 08 for dome shunting at penzance

• Like Like x 4
  33. dave from Cornwall

Pacers I think did one year in Cornwall, they were no good on the twisty branch lines!

I will keep shouting for Cornwall :)

Kernowbysviken.

Dave

• Like Like x 2
  34. Deimenried

Deimenried Member

Anything that gets us Pacers/Sprinters gets a thumbs up from me. Especially a British coastal route.

• Like Like x 2
  35. TSWx

TSWx Active Member

CORNWALL would become a fantastic DLC. Totally nice scenery, interesting timetable, loco variety and many lovely branch lines. One of the best places to included a sprinter 150,158. I still don't get it that so many BR locos were made but not a single sprinter it's the backbone of the UK. And it eventually saved many smaller lines from not closing. So include that with some branch lines of Cornwall along with an HST, that would be great. I strongly suggest the Devs to look at this suggestion I think it could be selled quite good. At least I'm thinking ... idk lets find out. :)

• Like Like x 1
  36. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

Would love this.
    To start with, I think that the starting trains for the route should be a Colas Class 70, Class 150 or Class 153 and a XCountry HST. Then DLC could be a Class 800 and a Class 66 or a Class 59 but with a much much improved Horn.
    This would be so popular considering how many Branchlines there were.
    Also, if Bodmin and Wenford was included, then even more possibilities can be included for Diesel Galas etc.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Dtl15

Dtl15 New Member

I'd rather pick a Class 150 and 158. Also HST and 66 or 67 with Colas or also DB. And as addons a shunter like 08 and maybe cross country voyagers. But I think it would also be interesting to exchange from a GWR service to a heritage railway. Would be cool. And it would also be nice to make the bus stations in Pnz and Truro then you could also explore that part and see the railway station from the super deck of the bus. And of course not to forget the Long rock depot nice but fancy indeed, along the beach with St.Michael's castle. Can't wait for something like that. Because TSW hasn't had anything coastal untill Cornwall?

38. Rail Runner

Would a Class 57 work as a DLC? Would be good fun for Sleeper movements and ECS movements.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  39. Dtl15

Dtl15 New Member

Was thinking of that as well. Cause then you could also shunt some night sleeper coaches in Long rock depot. So yeah would work as a bundle with an 08. Like that one DLC for Nec that was also bundled.

• Like Like x 1
  40. Rail Runner

Exactly. And furthermore, I have known some odd trips back to Liara Depot from now and then. That would be so much fun!

41. TSWx

TSWx Active Member

Depends on what they're doing but I rather prefer Long Rock over Liara Depot.

42. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

Someone will start moaning as it's already done for TS.

Anyway, I'm all for it, would love to have it. If I can talk about dream routes then this would be one of them and in the best dreams, the whole line to Paddington but would take any part from Pencanze or Plymouth actually.

• Like Like x 2
  43. dave from Cornwall

Why I think the Cornwall stretch is so interesting, is none of it is at 125, there are so many bends, inclines and declines, its also wooded in parts and fields in others, plus St Michaels Mount at one end and IKB Bridge at the other, what excellent bookends!

BUT you would need the branch lines, which is probably where the dev's would find too much hard work/cost?

44. Rail Runner

I agree that branchlines would be a must but very unlikely considering the work that would have to be introduced into completing them.
    Long Rock depot would be good for use, but there would only be one service down during the morning, and one service up during the night. I’m not sure if it is worth it. Whether or not they could add some additional paths in for some “fictional services”, I’m not sure.
    I seem to remember that a Class 57 operated some services from Plymouth to Exeter. I am not sure if they continued down further to Liskeard, but it would be good to continue more Class 57 services.

45. dave from Cornwall

Long rock services anything that ends up down there that needs fixing? So you could shunt any service in to Long Rock as senerio?

46. Rail Runner

The shunts would be fun, but I have to admit. There is nothing more inviting than driving a Class 57 up the Cornish Mainline on a few Mk3s.
    I have done some more research and found that the services ran during the summer from Par to Plymouth and Exeter. It consisted of about 3 or 4 Mk3s and a Class 57.

47. MarkySparky69

MarkySparky69 New Member

Id love to see any of these lines. Anything in Cornwall would be an instant buy for me. To be fair it sounds be great and if they covered the main line from Exeter through Dawlish as well, another stunning piece of railway. If they could add sections of line that has been suggested in this thread it would make great dlc, there’s a huge variety in traffic running in the south west, be good to see some China clay wagons running too.

48. Rail Runner

China Clay would be a must. It’s iconic.

• Like Like x 1
  49. TSWx

TSWx Active Member

St. Ives is a must! It's stunning.

• Like Like x 2
  50. Rail Runner

Yes. Along with Looe - Liskeard which for me is a definite yes. It includes the Freight at Moorswater, and it’s steep.
    If it was included, I hope St Blazey would be still useable. Just because these days it seems very unused and run down.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020