Tsw2 - A Call For Achievable Steam Achievements

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Inkar, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

We are going to start from scratch with TSW2, so I think it is a good moment to ask Dovetail Games to add reasonably achievable Steam achievements to TSW2 and not add any of the boring, long and tedious ones.

Lets see some examples from TSW1:

TSW - Carbon Overload.png
    There really aren't so many services or scenarios that require me to load coal, so it would take me hundreds of hours of repeating the same 2 or 3 services to get this done. Of course, not gonna happen.

TSW - Foot.png
    Seriously, this is a Train Simulator. I go down to the track when I need to change switches, fill fuel tanks or go to another engine. I do not enjoy walking up and down the track (and believe me, I did this much more than I wanted to get all the collectibles). Of course, I will never finish this one.

TSW - Gas.png
    How many services / scenarios require me to do this? 1? Am I gonna do it 100 times? Not gonna happen.

So, please, make reasonably achievable Steam achievements in TSW2. I should have all the achievements after I play for 30 hours any route (that is 1h each day for 30 days) .

If any single achievement requires me to get out of my normal gameplay to get it, it should not take me more than 1 or 2h to do it. Anything more than that is making me work on the game, instead of enjoying the game.

Achievements that can be accomplished just by playing the game normally, like using an engine for X miles, can take more time since it is not locking me into doing anything. I can choose what service to play. i.e. If a route is 40 miles long, you can ask to drive an engine for 500 miles because it is not any kind of grind. It is just doing 12 - 15 full route services (if this was a shunter you would need to lower that number considerably).

Thanks for reading.

PS: An example of an interesting achievement that is not present in TSW:HH and could be added to TSW2:SPG is one for manually starting each engine around 10 times. That promotes new players to learn to do it and it doesn't make you repeat it endlessly.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
  2. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

It would also help if achievements were triggered reliably. I know there's been some issues with achievements not being triggered on the PC side but it seems to have been an even bigger issue on the console side.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ps4Player

Ps4Player Well-Known Member

Good point. I like trophy hunting with my ps4 and there are many games out there where ist mostly fun to achieve them. But TSW trophies were sometimes really really frustrating and a hell of a grind (even with workarounds...).

• Like Like x 2
  4. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

I had a conversation with the team regarding achievements/trophies in the past week and they are being overhauled for release. Whether this makes them easier or not I can't say at present, however effort has been made to ensure that they're all achievable and far less fussy than some of those in the original game.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

This is music to my ears DTG Protagonist

6. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

This is most welcome news. It's one thing to have a grind trophy requiring 1660 miles to be driven in the Class 166 (something that I haven't tested....), but quite another to have a trophy requiring just one "service" to be completed, but just doesn't get delivered when the requirments are clearly met (and easily met).....

There is certainly something technically wrong with a large number of trophies in TSW - leading to erratic and random performance. I believe it to often be related to a memory management or priority issue, where the trophy code can't complete until a bunch of other stuff has timed out. I have never seen this happen with any other PS4 game. There are also a few "fussy" ones where it isn't clear what requirements are coded in (for example - you have to complete 15 specific services for the Class 31, but only from the Timetable menu, and not from Journey mode.......).

Anyway - thanks for picking up the issue. BTW - that was a really great Q&A stream today - lots to be positive about with TSW2 now, and we haven't seen the detail for the Bakerloo Line yet.... ;-)

Last minute request - please please please encourage the guys doing the Livery Editor to include a large selection of decal designs (hundreds, not dozens), including a range of graded texture shapes..... so that we can make our trains look....really dirty.... ;-)

7. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I'm really happy to hear this.

Thanks!

8. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Hopefully there will be more variation as well - the usual 'reach the mileage', 'reach the top speed' and 'pick up so many passengers' is so boring and unimaginative.

• Like Like x 2