Tsw2 Be Patient, Do Not Buy, Wait And See

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jetgriff, Jun 20, 2020.

1. jetgriff

jetgriff Well-Known Member

to what those who buy it find out what they actually get.
    I was fooled by what was put out about TSW and what was coming for it.. nothing came, if it were not for CZ putting some mods out the game would have died.
    Once bitten......

• Like Like x 15
  2. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I’ve adopted this and I stopped buying for Train Simulator, came back years later and Armstrong Powerhouse improved, addons got longer routing, and I’m now building up the collection.

• Like Like x 2
  3. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

why game would have died

• Like Like x 3
  4. jetgriff

jetgriff Well-Known Member

lack of variety and ability to switch loco's on different routes. For example it made all the difference running a 52 and 45 on the GWR or a 31 on the Trans Penine.

• Like Like x 4
  5. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

This is a good suggestion regardless of your opinion of the announcements so far. Additionally, since there is no pre-order campaign active right now, that's basically what everyone is doing anyway.

Decide for yourself whether or not you want the game when you have the information needed to make that decision.

• Like Like x 17
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Except for the fact that vast majority of users did not know about such mods, or due to there platform could not use them. Game was never going to die due to someone not making a mod to allow locos too switch routes. The game did die however due to TSW2. If that's a good thing or a bad thing time will tell.

• Like Like x 2
  7. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

No, I’m good thanks. I’m happy with what I’ve read about TSW 2 and I’m very happy we’re getting the ICE3 and Bakerloo Line, Sand Patch Grade is an added bonus. Three new routes for £24.99 is a really good deal in my eyes.

I’m not saying you’re wrong but there will be plenty who buy on day one.

• Like Like x 8
  8. Trooper117

Trooper117 Active Member

Yep, I reckon there will be a lot who buy on day one... on the other hand, there will also be a lot who won't if these forums are anything to go by... ;)

• Like Like x 2
  9. fanta1682002

Yep, I reckon there will be a lot who buy on day one

• Like Like x 1
  10. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I will buy on day one. We know what we are getting and the two routes are worth the money in my opinion. I will be more circumspect about purchasing any future add-ons, however.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I keep looking at the date to see if it’s August yet. So I don’t think I’ll be one of the people waiting for other people’s opinions before buying it. When I do buy it, I will give it a thorough examination and report my findings for those who do wait. I’ve booked the PS4 for a week and instructed my partner not to buy any new games around then because she won’t get to play them!

• Like Like x 4
  12. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Brilliant predictions, folks: some will buy immediately, others will wait a while, others will wait for a sale, and others will not buy. Yep: absolutely brilliant. How do you do it?

• Like Like x 1
  13. fanta1682002

i will buy immediately

• Like Like x 2
  14. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I will too.
    None of the routes appeal particularly, but I'm interested in what changes they can make.
    Who knows I might find I enjoy playing them.
    As it is, I've already had my money's worth out of the Class20.

15. mark.bolter

mark.bolter Active Member

I really want TSW2 to be the best we’ve seen...some folk in other sections have said TSW was a beta test for Dovetail to get an idea of what could be achieved,I’m not convinced but I just wish Dovetail had been straight with us from day one as I sent so many ticket issues as did a lot of players to be told there will be fixes...I really hope the support is much better this time round

• Like Like x 1
  16. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

I'm basing my vacation around TSW2. I'll be off work for two weeks! :D

17. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I'll be honest - I was gonna buy day one, but since the announcement re the editor I'm going to watch all the material DTG put out and probably wait for reviews (though I must say, that 1972 stock looks absolute gorgeous, also I am quite interested in a tube line for TSW). I REALLY want TSW2 to be a massive success and, given time, take over from TS2020. However, right now, I seriously DON'T expect that.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well same for me. I'll watch the release, see what people say about it and decide if it's worth it. If not, then it will still have some chance later on when new routes and features arrive. But it's definitely not an instant buy for me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

I'd rather see true gameplay, rather than a promo not actual game footage type video.

Screenshots are pointless, even with basic Photoshop knowledge you can make anything look better.

• Like Like x 6
  20. mark.bolter

mark.bolter Active Member

I totally agree,a live stream of it being played not just on pc but console as well as it’s a game for everyone

• Like Like x 1
  21. Trooper117

Trooper117 Active Member

For me the underground doesn't give me any reason to get excited... although there are others that make it sound like the coming of the railway Messiah, lol!

• Like Like x 3
  22. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Some people hold the London Underground close to their heart. My father worked on the Underground in the 90’s, I’ve ridden on the Underground every time I’ve gone to London. It’s unique, you’re riding through history when on the Underground and most don’t notice. People took refuge in the Underground during World War 2 when the Nazi’s were bombing London during the Blitz.

I’m happy we’re getting Sand Patch on console, I’m looking forward to driving the ICE, I’m over the moon we’re getting a Underground route.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Hopefully we will be getting some gameplay footage / streams throughout July, as we are in a TSW void at the moment with DLC development halted on TSW1 and TSW2 still over a month away from release.

• Like Like x 3
  24. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I think the downfall is their customer service base, when you report a ticket you get an unhelpful so and so and it’s really really bad. This does look nice, yes looks nice but is it a simulator or is it a nice looking game?

25. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

At first I was a bit sceptical about a TSW2, but after some information and a little time to diggest it I am positive to it, firstly: because it won't be to expensive, second: sand patch grade is there, and third: I'm very excited about the subway route., so most likely I will buy it on day one.

• Like Like x 4
  26. theorganist

Nice to see a more positive post. Be careful though, such rampant displays of positivity will soon be quashed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

I was the exact same, but i was more annoyed about the drivers levels not carrying over, i will happily buy it on day one, now that ie seen some sort of footage of tsw 2, everyone is entitled to there opinion of positivity/negativity, but the only opinion thats counts is your own

28. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

We're optimistic that as you see more of what's coming we can provide a good reason to jump on TSW2. I'd still advocate waiting until you see exactly what's coming before making a decision, but you'll know when you see a "hard yes" or "hard no". It's why we're trying to be as clear as possible with regard to what's inbound.

• Like Like x 2
  29. fanta1682002

i will happily buy it on day one

• Like Like x 4
  30. Clumsy Pacer

Having watched yesterday's Q&A, I'm now a bit warmer to TSW2. I think I'll wait till the preserved collection is fully out though so I can get more out of it. Was really pleased that RRO and MSB will increase services on Aachen-Köln (Bought RRO to help get myself into the mood for TSW2 as I thought I'd try the german route and really enjoying it). The scenario planner seems quite nice if a bit primative - really happy that TSW2020 add-ons will be useable in it.

If I'm honest - I couldn't care less for the sticker creator or sand patch grade but that's just me.

• Like Like x 4
  31. Dinosbacsi

Well the good thing about the two is that you will be able to repaint the CSX trains into other railroad liveries. I mean they are pretty widely used locomotives, so many repaints can be made for them. And because most of the routes IRL use more railroad companies than in TSW (I mean CSX is not the only company on Sand Patch, for example), it will also open up some fun possibilities.

32. Clumsy Pacer

It's more to do with the fact I couldn't care less about American trains. SPG is literally the only American DLC I have for TSW2020 because it was all that was in the game when I bought it, and I have some American DLC for TS1 but I never play it and it's just come with bundles I've bought.

33. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Well, I for one look forward to being able to have other liveries than CSX and Union Pacific available. While I do enjoy the UK and German content, my main focus is US Freight, TS has been my main go to simulator for years, Run8 is a new addition and what I miss in TSW is the different liveries on US Roads which is available in both TS2020 and Run8. Hopefully TSW2 will allow more prototypical lash-ups that we actually see on our railroads.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I think that TSW2 might be an easier sell if it was promoted properly. Currently you're only going to find the trailers and articles for the game if you're looking them. I remember when Dovetail used Sean Bean to advertise TS2014. Maybe they could make a trailer like this one for Gran Turismo 6, showcasing the features of the new game?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  35. jazznsf

jazznsf Member

Timing will be interesting for the release, which is very close to the new MSFS dropping. I'm guessing that some of us will be busy with the new flight sim. I think if you looked at the two groups as a Venn diagram you would find a rather large overlap of interests. Simulation engines are complex bits of code, so you'll likely find some of us custom building kit to manage the hardware demands of complex simulations. So, there's a third group that intersects the first two. All-in-all, a great time to a fan of simulation engines and robust hardware to run same...

36. Clumsy Pacer

They seem to only be promoting the game to people who are already in the community and have TSW 2020. The cynic in me thinks they WANT this to fail -why, I don't know.

• Like Like x 1
  37. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Pros: High potential title, excellent graphics, etc, etc.
    Cons: Still lack in DLCs routes lenght. Without a true editor it will never overtake TS.

So, at moment I feel 60 and 40. I'll take TSW2 at launch but I'm perplexed about its future.

38. doc_woods

doc_woods Active Member

Or realistically: it's still a few weeks off and you can't actually buy it yet. Let's suppose you marketed it now to people who aren't yet interested in the genre: you've spent a lot of money to have them it up, see that it's not yet for sale, and then forget about it in a few weeks.

I can see it being worthwhile getting your established player-base on board in advance (which they're trying to do). I can also see the calculation changes if you're Microsoft and releasing a new flight simulator (which looks like it may be a big improvement on what's gone before). But for something like TSW2 (which is both niche and relatively incremental) I'd imagine you want people to be able to buy it the moment they hear it - it isn't realistic to expect huge amounts of "hype".

• Like Like x 3
  39. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

Some will buy on day 1 some won't, some will say they won't and they will. I think the exterior cameras on TSw1. are a joke.
    and I expect the same on TSw2. So I will not be buying it on day 1. but then again I might.

40. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

My reasoning for wanting to buy at release:
    1. Game is $30 - as a brand-new title, not the standard $60. That's not too bad, don't have to wait for a sale. Keep in mind this is how much we've paid for a single TSW2020 route.
    2. Scenario Planner and Livery Designer - this is one of my most coveted freedoms for TSW, being able to put any loco any place and do with it as you please, and be able to actually create a prototypical livery for your use. So I can put my lovely MP15DC CT on SPG, and use a custom CSX livery for it.
    3. Routes - again, 3 new routes, one of them being ICE, for only $30.
    4. Preserved Collection - all of our stuff from TSW2020 (sans NEC) will carry over. For someone that has 9 routes purchased in TSW2020, this is fairly important. Especially since they've corrected their position and made it so that we can use Collection items in Scenario Planner. Yes I was a little upset about NEC not crossing over since the main reason I bought the SW1000R although it had bad reviews was because I figured I could use it as I please in TSW2 Scenario Planner, but I'm already over it.
    5. Support DTG - I want to support DTG. How many train games of this caliber are out on the market? DTG is fairly small. The more sales they can generate, the more freedom and development funds they will have for the next TSW title, ultimately benefiting the players.
    As long as all of the above stays true, I will absolutely buy it at launch.

• Like Like x 6
  41. Dinosbacsi

Keep in mind that the livery designer will not work with the old TSW rolling stock, only TSW2 ones. So you will not be able to make a CSX livery for the MP15DC in TSW2.

Unless you are willing to do it the old way, by changing textures in the game files.

42. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Wait....wasn't this the reason for the 2 week delay ? ... so the livery designer and scenario planner would work with the preserved collection ?

• Like Like x 1
  43. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

No, just the scenario planner.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Ah for some reason I thought it was both....my bad

45. jazznsf

jazznsf Member

Scenario planner is good enough for me... livery would be a bonus, but no big deal. IMHO. Having the scenario planner is lots more than I had hoped for, so it seems like it's all upside to me.

• Like Like x 1
  46. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

The scenario planner is one reason. Maybe more important is that especially for the German routes we are now used to be able to mix trains from the various routes to get more variety in game play. For Köln Aachen, one of this issues is that there would not be freight traffic possible, net even with the scenario planner. I think the livery editor is for a much smaller customer base and my guess is that it would be more work.to create all white liveries, but not sure why they did this. I still need to see what we actually can do and what we cannot do in TSW2.I think Matt suggested the new adhesion physics also will be supported for the preserved collection. This would be awesome, but we still need to to see this.

• Like Like x 1
  47. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

The reason it's not $60 is because it's NOT a new game, as much as they would like you to believe the "Emperor has new clothes" it's 80% the same with some updates and three NEW routes. The price point is good for three routes if those routes interest you, but if it was 100% a NEW game it would have been closer to the $60 point.

• Like Like x 1
  48. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

Yeah I know it's technically not an entirely new game, more of a glorified update, but how many millions shelled out $60 on a new CoD on a yearly basis even though it was just a reskin of the old one? And each year, they still called it a New CoD.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Typhomat

Typhomat Well-Known Member

I was honestly surprised to see DTG pushing back the release to the week of MSFS 2020. If it was earlier I would have considered a day one purchase but now I’m not so sure.

The inconsistency of how all DLC will work vs the now NEC won’t be added makes me have to dedicate installation space for two games with overlapping content for one route. I think I’ll wait and see how the reviews flow in and if DTG sticks to their supposed plan of roadmaps but I’m not impressed by their current attempt. All I’ve seen is a humanization of their overall responses to a lot of problems for years in these live streams and it doesn’t drive me to think somehow things will be better.

I’d rather put my money towards a product actually pushing for real improvements, community and third party support, and one that seems to have a future of supporting, not hurting it’s customer base and their purchases. MSFS 2020 it is for me

50. theorganist

Trainsim world currently is £24.99 and I am sure that is what I paid for it three years ago.

• Like Like x 6