Dtg Help Please Re Steam Tsw Sale 20/8

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nwp1, Aug 16, 2020.

1. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Matt in the Q&A stream on Friday evening mentioned that their will be three routes and some loco going on sale next Thursday at 35% off routes and 20% Off loco’s

Please can DTG be more specific. Are these routes available for TSW2020 and then they can be introduced into TSW2 via the preserved collection or are they specifically produced for use with TSW2 only?

2. doc_woods

doc_woods Active Member

I'd be almost certain this is existing TSW2020 content. I'd make no sense to create some new (as yet unannounced) content for TSW2, release it simultaneously with the game, and immediately put it on sale.

3. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Well that is what I hope too, but DTG are releasing a Deluxe TSW2 with ECW already installed and this route version is not suitable for TSW2020.

I hope someone from DTG will answer this question as it would give me an idea whether to buy the deluxe or main game and ECW for TSW2020 this week. I do own ECW on xbox but not on my PC version.

4. trigzd

trigzd Active Member

The answer that has been given on the forums and in the Q&A's is that ECW is the same as on TSW1 (just some tweaks to adapt to the new game HUD, engine and scenario planner), there is no change to the actual scenery itself. It's being released as a deluxe version so that people that don't already have ECW can get it for a slight discount with the upgrade. Similarly, on this page and under 'Preserved Collection' you can see what will be released as part of that preserved collection for TSW2 and the aforementioned sale.
    https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/routes

Hope that helps!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I think you've misinterpreted the question (or perhaps I have).

The deluxe version for TSW2 contains East Coastway, however if you purchase the deluxe version then this doesn't allow you to play the route in TSW1.

The question here appears to be:

Will the TSW1 DLC be reduced in price (allowing you to play them on both games), or will the equivalent TSW2 DLC be reduced in price (allowing you to only play the DLC on TSW2 and not TSW1)?

• Like Like x 1
  6. trigzd

trigzd Active Member

Ahh, I see what you mean. That's not what I read, but you could well be right!

7. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

What I need to know before buying the deluxe version is: Are the routes DTG are releasing on 20/8 available for playing in TSW1 and then transferring like your collection to TSW2 or are they updated for TSW2 only.

I already play ECW on my xBox but haven’t yet purchased it for TSW2020 and know that the deluxe version which includes ECW is for TSW2 only, so I wish to know before purchasing the deluxe version whether the routes DTG are releasing on Steam next Thursday playable on the first version TSW2020. Thank you

8. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The DLC for TSW 2 is the same as the DLC for TSW 1 but with added adhesion etc. If you already own the DLC for TSW 1, you don’t need to buy it again for TSW 2. You’ll be able to download the TSW 2 version at no extra cost. If you don’t own the TSW 1
    version, the TSW 2 version will not work with TSW 1 so if you want the DLC to work on both versions, you should buy the TSW 1 version.

All TSW 1 DLC is coming to TSW 2 apart from NEC.

9. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Thank you matjamca, so what you are saying, as I understand you, is that the routes being released on 20/8 are NOT compatible for TSW1 and only suitable for the new game TSW2? Am I right?

10. pjduplooy.gis

pjduplooy.gis Member

Can someone confirm that if I already own all DLCs for TSW 2020, I do not need to repurchase it? (I see that it is already in my library for TSW 2), so I only need the base sim, and not the Deluxe Edition)?

11. trigzd

trigzd Active Member

That is correct.

12. trigzd

trigzd Active Member

That is also correct, you won’t need the deluxe edition

13. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

That’s right. They are rereleases of the TSW 1 DLC, which have seen some upgrading.

14. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

I'll unravel this formula for you when people are at work tomorrow.

It will be one of the following:
    - The TSW2 versions of Preserved Collection add-ons are discounted.
    - Both the TSW2020 and TSW2 versions of Preserved Collection add-ons are discounted.
    There's an outside possibility that:
    - The TSW2020 versions of Preserved Collection add-ons are discounted.

Whichever version it is you get the preserved DLC for TSW2. Note: it is only the Preserved Collection add-ons that are available at the launch of TSW2 that are included in this discount offer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Thank you, so I now understand that non of the discounts will work in TSW2020 and I need the deluxe version for TSW2 for ECW and buy ECW TSW2020 version later for including with my TSW2020 content.

16. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

If you want to play ECW in both games, just (wait to) buy the TSW2020 ECW when it goes on sale.

Although we don’t know whether or not TSW2020 ECW will go on sale on Thursday, there will be other TSW2020 sales down the road.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. Trooper117

Trooper117 Active Member

Phew... this was heavy going at times. I went from ''I'm confused'' to ''got it'' to ''what the...'' and back again.
    So... if I get the preserv....... :(:mad:;):cool:

18. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The "deluxe version" is simply a BUNDLE of the core TSW2 release content (also a bundle) and ECW. If you buy ECW with TSW2 you also should get the license for the DLC on TSW1 (as per Matt's comments on the initial TSW2 release stream), so I think the opinion that you WON'T get the ECW DLC for TSW1 is incorrect, you should get both as you are buying an ECW license

If you already have ECW on TSW1 then it won't let you buy the deluxe version on steam (according to what I've seen) and it defaults back to the "normal version" and price anyway

Obviously any discounts applied may only apply to deluxe versions yada yada

19. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Thank you ARuscoe, I assume that if I do buy the deluxe version, I then WILL still be able to play, ECW in the TSW2020 as well as TSW2. If this is right I would be happy to buy the Deluxe version, perhaps DTG can confirm.

I am so confused as some say no you have to buy the TS2020 version and you say yes ECW on the deluxe version will play on both formats!!

If I buy the standard version and ECW for TSW2020 later in the year, will I still be able to transfer it to TSW2 or can you only transfer what you have in your preserved collection on and as at 20/08/20 only?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  20. FeralKitty

That's not how it's currently working despite what Matt said -- you don't get the TSW2020 ECW from Steam when you buy the TSW2 Deluxe edition -- and Sam also said DLC moves forwards, not backwards.

I don't think we've ever gotten a confirmation from Sam to clear up that contradiction, but until things change on Steam, you have to buy the TSW2020 version of the DLC if you want to play it in both places.

Yes. The TSW2020 DLC will be part of the TSW2 preserved collection (with the exception of the NEC DLC).

No, there's no deadline or cutoff. Whenever you buy it, now or later, it will transfer (again with the exception of the NEC).

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  21. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

FeralKitty. Thank you. I have now asked DTG support for clarification as to buying the deluxe version and whether you have to additionally purchase another ECW for use with TSW2020.

22. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Let us know what they reply.

23. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Will do Inkar, but it may be some days and I will have to make a decision on what version I buy if they don’t respond before the discount ends

• Like Like x 1
  24. ARuscoe

Didn't know TSW2 had been released... So "how it works" might only be known on Thursday. If it DOESN'T work like Matt stated a month ago then I will join the people questioning why not

25. DTG Protagonist

Okay, I'll deliver this in quotable fashion.

1. DLC is forward compatible only. If you buy TSW2 DLC, even Preserved Collection, it will not appear for TSW2020.
    2. The launch discount is for both the TSW2020 and TSW2 versions of the add-ons.

You lose nothing by buying the TSW2020 version - even after TSW2 is released. If anything it's probably the smarter way to go as it gives you the choice to play in either game (assuming you have TSW2020 as well).

• Helpful Helpful x 6
  26. FeralKitty

Thanks, that's the best possible option for everyone!

27. ARuscoe

OK, looks like what Matt said isn't how it's going to work
    For a change I'm going to question DTG on this one. If you buy a TSW1 license you also get TSW2 license, but not the other way round... Not sure on the legality of that policy...
    The value of the item on sale shouldn't be different dependent on which way round you make the purchase.

28. FeralKitty

I think that makes sense, logistically.
    The TSW1 DLC becomes part of the preserved collection going forward -- old DLC upgraded to work with new software.
    The TSW2 preserved collection DLC doesn't become a part of TSW1 -- the upgraded DLC is likely not compatible (or tested to work) with the old software.

I don't know about legality, but the intent was that we could use our old DLC with the newer game, and I think they achieved that.

• Like Like x 2
  29. ARuscoe

I know that, but if it's the case that if you buy a license for a TSW1 DLC (note I say buy, not already own) you also get the license for the same TSW2 DLC then it should be the case the other way round also as the value of the purchase should be equivalent.
    It's not even as though DTG are losing out... Though there WILL be people who buy the TSW2 version without knowing the alternative as I doubt it's going to be advertised much

30. FeralKitty

I think the reality is that people who want to play the TSW2020 DLC wouldn't have waited for TSW2 to buy it, they'd already own and have played it. And the new people who buy TSW2 DLC probably won't want to play (the DLC on) the older game.

But, yes, absolutely, when there's an advantage to buying the TSW2020 DLC over the same TSW2 DLC, some people might not know about the alternative.

• Like Like x 1
  31. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

“The launch discount is for both the TSW2020 and TSW2 versions of the add-ons.”

This is exactly what I wanted to know and is music to my ears.

I will now submit a pre release order for TSW2 and not the Deluxe version and then buy ECW on Thursday for the discounted TSW2020 so I can play it in both versions.

Thank you DTG protagonist.

• Like Like x 2
  32. pjduplooy.gis

pjduplooy.gis Member

As I own TSW2020 and all released DLC's, I would like to see which of the DLC's are "preserved" and can be used in TSW2

33. FeralKitty

From the Frequently Asked Questions:

- Is every Train Sim World 2020 add-on being preserved?
    No. The North East Corridor route, Amtrak SW1000R and CSX GP40-2 are not being preserved.

• Like Like x 1
  34. doc_woods

doc_woods Active Member

I think it's going to cause problems because it's just confusing. I don't have a huge moral problem with it, but the "system" is quite hard to explain and it doesn't seem like there's a good reason to do it this way.

35. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

For clarity, and I hope I’ve got this right! I’m sure someone will correct if not.

I’ve pre-ordered TSW2 already no issue there.

I’ve wanted to buy Hauptstrecke Rhein Ruhr, but I’m now going to wait until it goes on sale on Thursday, and it will then appear in my preserved collection on TSW2. Right?

36. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

This what DTG have mentioned concerning the Routes that will be preserved into TSW2

“Here’s what you can look forward to in the first two Preserved Collection phases…
    Preserved Collection 1 (20 August)
    • East Coastway: Brighton - Eastbourne & Seaford
    • Peninsula Corridor: San Francisco - San Jose
    • Caltrain MP36PH-3C ‘Baby Bullet’
    • Caltrain MP15DC Diesel Switcher
    • Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr: Duisburg – Bochum
    Preserved Collection 2 (September)
    • Tees Valley Line: Darlington – Saltburn-by-the-Sea
    • BR Class 31
    • BR Class 20 ‘Chopper’
    • Long Island Rail Road: New York – Hicksville
    • LIRR M3 EMU
    • Ruhr-Sieg Nord: Hagen – Finnentrop
    • DB BR 155
    The remaining Preserved Collection content schedule will be confirmed when we launch Train Sim World 2“

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That is what has been said, yes. If you buy the TSW2020 version of HRR you will get it in both games, or buy the TSW2 version only if you only want it in TSW2. Both will be in the sale. I have the same plan for HRR myself but I’m on PS4 and will have to wait for a sale as the post release sale is on Steam only.

• Like Like x 1
  38. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

All of this reminds me of some lyrics from an old Harry Belafonte hit: "Well it was clear as mud, but it cover de' ground and the confusion make me mind go roun' ..."

39. DTG Protagonist

If you buy The Rock, starring Nicholas Cage and Sean Connery on DVD it will play on your Blu-Ray player. If you buy the Blu-Ray version of the same movie, it will not work on your DVD player.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  40. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

So if you buy the DVD version, you automatically get the Blu-Ray version as a bonus? Surely the Blu-Ray release must be of higher quality and therefore not equal in retail value to the DVD version? Or is the Blu-Ray release just 480p footage scanned by a blue laser? That seems redundant and completely unnecessary when the DVD version would suffice. It doesn't make much sense to buy the Blu-Ray if the content is identical, but you can only watch the Blu-Ray release on new, more expensive hardware.

41. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming they're hoping no one is going to use TSW2020 and all the new stuff will be TSW2 only, so I can't see why it has to be so complicated.

Seeing as we're talking about a limited number of DLC's. Why not just make it that you get both versions regardless of whether you buy it from the TSW2 or the TSW2020 store page.

42. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I think it has more to do with how Steam works than DTG wanting to keep us from having both versions.

43. ARuscoe

In upscaled HiDef, yes
    But in this case They're NOT the same product, especially with the inclusions in TSW DLC spec, so if you can buy one and get the other "from the bottom up" then you should get the same value the other way round
    Either way, not going to argue too much.. DTG have form on this (whisper class 101 in TSx)