1972 Stock Safety Functions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by olsbyn, Aug 27, 2020.

1. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

I'm wondering if there are any safety functions on the 1972 stock and how to enable them, something like DVD/Sifa or similar ?

2. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

There aren't any safety systems on them other than the dead man's handle. London Underground trains have tripcocks which stop the train if they pass a red signal which means other safety systems aren't needed.

3. lewisthomas22

lewisthomas22 Member

I believe there are draw up signals. Where you have to approach them at a certain speeds or the turn red. (something like that) But this is not simulated in TSW2 at the moment.

4. Northerner

Yeah sorry I oversimplified the systems in place. At terminus stations there's also 'Moorgate protection' that prevent the train from going too fast into the platform by activating the tripcock on the train. Essentially the tripcock system prevents a train coming into contact with another train.

5. lewisthomas22

lewisthomas22 Member

Shame their not in the game

6. Northerner

It is, I suppose they might be hard to simulate. I have noticed that tripcocks are modelled next to signals though.

7. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

And this has no function in the game, I have seen you can press it, but there is nothing that prompts you to press it every so often ?

8. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Unless you specifically press it to disengage the dead mans handle, the game automatically assumes you are keeping the handle pressed down.

• Like Like x 2
  9. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

Ah right, now I follow, in some TS locomotives it's called a deadman's switch even if you use it with DVD or equivalents, if I understand correct this one is kept pressed down, and if it's not then the train will brake, in RL that is ?

10. Northerner

Yeah, in real life, the driver needs to keep constant pressure on the handle otherwise the brakes will apply.

11. HappyBasher

HappyBasher Active Member

When you "look at" the controller handle, you also sometimes see "Deadmans handle", and if you click then the emergency brakes apply. So I guess the original intention was to have an option that you do have to drive holding down a certain key or button for the duration of the trip (or at least between the stations!) but this didn't make it into the final cut!

You do notice when you stop in brake step (ep min) or whatever the first one is, that the handle lifts and it beeps at you!