PlayStation Sand Patch...am I Doing It Correctly?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Trainmania100, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

I have my leading loco in lead or dead
    My MU sd40 in trail 6 or 24, brakes cut out handle off.
    Yesterday I was driving a service from Cumberland towards sandpatch then a our 2 miles before I got to some place beginning with M (about half way), I went from notch 8 full power 30 miles per hour, all the way to 0, not touching the brakes not throttle, Full power up the hill but it strained so much and came to a stand.
    Couldn't restart it on the hill.

GE AC4400 was default brake pressure, brakes cut in, set to lead, all brakes off. Aforementioned SD40 mu setup. It was an autorack departing Cumberland about 1825.

Just want to confirm, as the service states 90 minutes and this morning I successfully did a service from sand patch end to Cumberland end, 90 mins quoted, barely getting above 15 up the first hill, took 2 hours even uncontrollably speeding on the downhill half

Bit annoying as spent 90 minutes last night doing a service then stalled. Felt embarrassed having to quit , lord knows what the woman in the second man's seat thought

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. NW 1218

NW 1218 Member

Yeah, you did it right. Just look at the gauges on the screen to see if the air is proper. I did note that the SD40-2 (or GP38) needed to be in "24 Trail" for the engine brakes to release, for what reason, I have not one single clue.

3. ajwilson1889

ajwilson1889 Active Member

I havent tried it but I think you can use banking comm on the climbs to get assistance from the loco attached at the rear, may need to set the pair up as lead/trail

4. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

...are you still running into issues getting your train up the hill, or has that been resolved at this point?

5. Trainmania100

I seem to be doing ok now, it's only in the rain so long as I don't slow down

6. Stockton Rails

...did you have helper units in your train? A lot of folks here have been having problems getting up grades in Sand Patch because their helper units weren’t configured, that’s why I ask.

• Like Like x 2
  7. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Don't worry take you take longer than it stated. I needed about 120 minutes for the scenario's that said 90 and about 150 for those that said 120

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jb431

Jb431 New Member

Do you know where a good tutorial/walkthrough can be found showing how to configure the helper units properly? This is an issue I’ve run into as well.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

When I had problems getting up the hill I used loads and loads and loads of sand. Didn't know about COMM or whatever it is I thought it was sand that I had to use.

10. Stockton Rails

...this is the procedure I use to configure the helper units. Try this out and let me know if you run into any issues.

- First, set up the two engines up front at as a standard lead-trail pair, then set up the helper units further back in the train as another lead-trail pair
    - Make sure the circuit breakers for the radio in each of the lead units in these pairs are turned on (they already should be by default)
    - Finally, turn on the banking radio *only* in the lead unit at the front of the train (by pressing the DISP button on the radio), which will then enable DPU operation. The helper units should now throttle up and down in sync with your locos up front... you can verify this with an outboard camera.

(Note the last step, turning on the banking radio in the lead unit up front, was left out of the Train Sim manuals in the past... the helper units will never come up without performing this last step)

• Like Like x 4
  11. Trainmania100

Wow having followed the above users tutorial I feel like I've got so MUCH POWER now! I was able to move a whole manifest without even realising my lead locos had their generator fields off! I was a fool to ever try not using a banking loco! They really help

• Like Like x 2
  12. Stockton Rails

...nice post- I got a kick out of reading it! And yeah, functional helpers make a big difference in moving a long train- especially up a grade. Good job.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

F24243DE-FCE9-4A87-8447-AE108FABB5EC.jpeg This is taken from the Peninsula corridor manual, this one pertaining to having a MU upfront and a helper MU in the back. It also has some info on how to set up different types of multi unit locomotives!

14. Stockton Rails

...what DTG has listed here for DPU operation is correct so far, but they forgot to mention turning on the banking comm radio in the lead unit up front as a last step. And if folks don’t do this, DPU operation is never enabled... that’s why I called out this missing step in my procedure.

I actually opened up a ticket for this omission a few months back... DTG support responded and appreciated the info, but I have no idea when they’ll actually get around to fixing this in their documentation.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

....as a newcomer to this game, I am sorely wishing this was part of a tutorial in game.

16. matthewbguilford

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/ste...ridor_Operator's_Manual_-_EN.pdf?t=1583320248
    This manual shows different multi unit set ups. The only thing you need to remember for distributed power locos is that you need to use the banking comm in your lead locomotive. Hope this helps, if you have further questions feel free to ask!

• Like Like x 1
  17. NW 1218

NW 1218 Member

I guess reading this, I'm even more lost, since you don't DP unit from the locomotive radio...but, okay...

18. matthewbguilford

19. NW 1218

NW 1218 Member

I understand now, but my point is DTG really botched DPU operation doing it this way. I'd have never know if someone hadn't said it. I only say any of this since I'm an engineer and run DP, etc in real life.

20. matthewbguilford

I agree that it doesn’t explain some important things on Sandpatch. I hope we were helpful at least!

21. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

I'd agree with this. The game could do a lot better with tutorials and documentation.

22. Stockton Rails

I just did some digging on the web, and found info that suggests that the GE ‘Locotrol’ device (the device that handles the banking between the consist at the front of the train and any remote consists) is actually connected to the in-cab radio- likely so that it can use it for the radio comms between consists. The cab radio still functions as a normal train radio, but the radio also handles the banking comms traffic as well (traffic that the operator never hears of course).

All of that said, I have no idea how you actually enable/disable banking using the radio IRL. Since the two devices connect to each other, I suspect the radio has some sort of interface/menu programmed into it to make this possible.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1