Train Lenght Equipment For German Locos: Roadrunner

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by fabristunt, Aug 27, 2020.

1. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

I found out that German trains have a handy tool for distance measuring!
    After watching many videos I finally understood the meaning of the roadrunner sound I hear! I thought it was a smartphone ringtone, but it was unlikely that so many train drivers use the same one :)

For example, as you can see here, the train passes a speed sign at 08:06, and about 10 seconds later you can hear a meep meep sound, just like Roadrunner in the cartoons.

I have found an old topic discussing it, but it died down: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/train-length-management.13301/
    Any chance this could be considered, perhaps for the new loco and eventually added back to the older stock if possible?
    I would really like to have it as I usually drive without the HUD.
    Fabrizio

• Like Like x 1
  2. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

YES, PLEASE.
    While I think the TSW1 182 had it, it should be included in all german locos. There's two reasons I'm not able to turn the speedometer off and rely on the in-cab instruments: I regularly forget the current speed limit. And I never know when it's safe to accelerate.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fabristunt

I made myself a map for MSB and go with it, turning off all the HUD elements. I didn't know the 182 had it, I'll check the manual.

4. fabristunt

I can't find it in the manual. I tried looking for it in the cockpit but had no luck. Do you by chance remember how to use this system?

5. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

6. fabristunt

Ah ok, I thought you were talking about the TSW BR 182. I also heard TS had it, but never tried it as I mostly use it for steam engines.

7. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

I did. But without checking (I uninstalled TSW1), I can't be certain I'm right. :cool:

8. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

Nope. That is not a "German system". Not every German train has it. Only newer TRAXX and ES Locomotives.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

Ohhh :(
    btw, never said it was, just that I wanted it.

Also, can anyone tell me how a driver knows when to accelerate after a signal or speed change?

10. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

A driver knows his train lenght (mostly) and there are milestones all over. So he can measure it on them. But most is just route knowledge. If you drive 100 times over the same speed change, at some point you simply know when to allowed to accelerate.

11. fabristunt

Still, it would be nice to have it, at least on the trains that should have it...

12. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

This exactly, if you are at high enough speed already than you just wait a couple of seconds, if you are at slow speed you'll just get some landmark or reference, for example I had some difficulties when to accelerate from the 10 to 40 mph speed change when exiting Lewes (ECW) but after a while I just got used to it.

I think just a car counter (for example 4/8/12 on the 377) is enough if you are constantly changing what trains you run.

13. fabristunt

I know how to do it without the roadrunner thing, I am not looking for an alternative.
    I am just hoping the system will be added to the locos that are supposed to have it.

14. fabristunt

15. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

The BR182 in TSW does have Roadrunner - though as DTG don't have a Warner Bros licence it's a generic 'beep-beep' - I think it's done through the TR button on the dash

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. fabristunt

I found this topic, Matt says it's done via double tapping the throttle.
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/br-182-train-length-button.16575/
    I tested the BR 182 in TSW2020 and it worked. I also tested the class 66. It works in there too, just use the train lenght button on the dash. This is a very nice feature, which I believed was missing because it isn't mentioned in the manual...

Maik Goltz
    We have a TRAXX in TSW, the BR 185. Sadly, it does not work on it, so it must be an older model according to what you said above. I am sure I saw some cabrides on YT in BR 185s. Perhaps they were different versions then the one we have, or the system has been retrofitted.

I did not try the 143, 146 and 155 because, as far as I understand, they are not supposed to have it.

17. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

I think it's just the Siemens locos that have Roadrunner - not sure what the Bombardier version is.

I'm guessing the TR button in TS Classic was artistic licence for usability in the older game engine

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020