How Are The Preserved Collection Routes Added To Tsw2?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by QNS Chris, Sep 11, 2020.

1. QNS Chris

QNS Chris Well-Known Member

To preface this - if this has already been answered / covered, please disregard the thread. Also, this question is out of sheer curiosity and a desire to understand how the Preserved routes are ported to TSW2.

Given the fact that the Preserved Collection routes require development time and resources (by virtue of their inclusion in the Roadmap), what, generally speaking, goes into the development effort to add a Preserved Route to TSW2?

The Preserved Routes released thus far are beautiful (minus a few bugs here and there), and I'm impressed with what I perceive to be marginal improvements in both performance and graphics.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this - again, if this has already been addressed, please disregard and, if possible, provide a link to where the discussion occurred.

Best,
    Chris

2. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

The Unreal engine used in TSW2 is different from TSW1, plus DTG added some new things to their simulation engine, Simugraph. What happens is that you can't just load a TSW1 DLC and make it work in TSW2. DTG is not adding new features or improvements to preserved content, they are just making the necessary changes to make it work in TSW2.

A simple example: TSW2 train adhesion physics system is different than the system used in TSW1. If you just copied a TSW1 loco to TSW2 it would just wheel slip like forever. Changes need to be done so it works in TSW2 and the loco brakes as expected.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Preserved content is poorly ported in terms of sound and bugs. But it is working. Don't worry - fully playable! :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. QNS Chris

Thanks for the color, Inkar - that makes sense. It's impressive to me that DTG is able to incorporate the new features - i.e., adhesion, Simugraph, dynamic skies, etc - into the legacy routes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. QNS Chris

I've found certain routes to be a bit buggy, but my experience with it - at least with the LIRR and Caltrain routes - have proven to be what I perceive as an increase in the quality of graphics, performance, and overall gameplay. There are certainly areas for improvement - LIRR tunnel ambience, to cite just one - but I've run Caltrain into the ground on TSW2, and have enjoyed it more on the new game than on TS1.

Which routes / elements did you find that were poorly ported?

6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Not true. Not included into Preserved routes. * new features

Badly ported:
    Sound quality.
    Bugs.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Yep, unfortunately the preserved content has some bugs. For example, the UI has no alerter icon for the BR 425 in HRR. Now I'm noticing that I can't get gold in the scenarios / services I have tried in RSN, even when I do it perfect. Also noticed in the BR 185.2 that sometimes you get 55 in the in-cab panel when using PZB mode M (should be 70). The game UI correctly says 70, but not the in-cab indicator.

• Like Like x 2
  8. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Caltrain seems to have ported across well for the most part. It's probably the route that has had the fewest new bugs introduced.

My only gripe is the fact the sounds in the locos have become non existent. You'd think you were driving a modern EMU, not this huge diesel locomotive.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Probably this is true.

But in the past I made the mistake to activate the PZB switch (back panel) and then select the PZB mode (under-desk panel) to 55 or 85. In this case the PZB will set up as default mode (in 185.2 the default mode is set to 70) because my sequence was wrong. The right sequence is to setup firstly the PZB mode to 55, 70, 85 and then activate the PZB switch on the back panel.
    I realized that, cause the DB BR 182 (EuroSprinter64 aka Taurus) has the PZB defaul mode set to 85.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I don't think I changed the mode, just activated PZB with the mode that was selected by default when I started the scenario.
    In any case, I will remember to do it in the order you said in case I manually change the mode in the future.
    Thanks.