Out Of Memory Crash With Ts2020

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by paulspencer1957, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Ocke

Ocke New Member

I think so. Didn't have any trouble running quick drives earlier in the day, on high graphics. But custom consists? Crashed three times, twice on high graphics and once on low. Not sure if the graphics setting matters there, but changing it didn't help.

2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Could be a corrupt download. Did you download a reskin before the crashes started?

3. Ocke

Ocke New Member

I did download a few coaches and reskins for them. I suppose I could uninstall them and try again. Would be a shame if the files are corrupted as I'd quite like to use those coaches.

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Try using the coaches first without using the custom consist creator.
    If you are able to place the coaches on the track ok then they might not be the problem
    But if the coaches don't load because you are missing something that might cause the consist creator to stop working.

Peter

5. Forzaboy4

Forzaboy4 Member

well i guess this is supposed to be fixed in 2021 as matt said which is good

6. paulspencer1957

paulspencer1957 New Member

I'm resurrecting this thread because I've reinstalled TS today and to my dismay find that I'm still getting exactly the same problem with Out of Memory crashes and can still work around it by literally pulling out my ethernet cable from my router before hitting the Start button! Surely after all this time someone has an idea what's causing this, and more usefully, how on earth to fix it! And before anyone asks I have tried every single suggested solution to no avail. I can live with physically unplugging the cable but it really shouldn't be necessary should it! By the way, running TS in offline mode in Steam doesn't stop the crash

7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I rebuilt my PC after unsubscribing to any workshop content. Now I only get OOMs if I forget to stop chrome running youtube on my secodn screen when driving the GEML

8. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Still a problem. Was just pulling into Edinburgh Waverly after a long ride from Newcastle on the Just Trains Newcastle to Edinburgh line and got an out of memory error with exception code 0xC0000005. I have 32GB of Ram. I'm running an RTX 2080 Ti and i7-9700k.

9. kevindahs5

kevindahs5 New Member

What size pagefile I should use I have a Intel i3 with 6 gb of ram and intel 4000 graphics card. (Note: cleaning up the windows.old right now).

10. Ocke

Ocke New Member

Only now had time to get around to this. I thought I'd give the scenario editor a try, but first tried opening the consist creator, and now it actually works. And both the coaches and repaints seem to work.

EDIT: And now it's back after installing another repaint, and a patch. Both of which work fine when jumping straight into Quick Drive, but keeps crashing the game when I try to go into the consist creator. And that's after clearing the cache.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  11. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi paulspencer1957,

We'd like to dig into your issue in greater detail, can you drop a ticket into Support and share with us the following:
    Would you also mark it for my attention so it gets escalated properly, please?

Many thanks, Steve

12. cwright5

cwright5 New Member

i fixed mine with a amd card you have to remove chipset and graphics drivers. the problem is the adrenalin software not the driver.
    go to amd download removal tool then search for delete vidio display tool.
    delete the complete program there are plenty of utube videoes.
    you install latest chipset drivers from amd not your motherboard supplyer.
    down load latest adrenalin driver but dont install adrenalin you just install video driver.
    mine crashed at least once a hour, now 4 days straight no crashes

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. niedzielskimirek

niedzielskimirek New Member

I use a translator.
    I am 62 years old. I started with CP / M, then DOS, Windows 3, linux, WIN 95.98, NT, ...... WIN7.8. I was in control of each of these systems. WIN10 is a system that is already hard to control. They at Microsoft think you're a fool and we, Microsoft, will decide about you. Train Simulator is an unwanted child of Microsoft-MSTS 2. This LOVE was bought by a few companies but none of them did anything. DTG, the last owner, did not change anything in the IT sense. The game is a total IT brothel. If you have just bought it, delete it immediately and forget it. If you have invested a lot of money like me because I was hoping that something would change every year then hope the mother of stupid people. I've been testing this IT swamp for ten years now. How it was so is. The trees shake, the grass rustles, the water sparkles beautifully and the game freezes. I've been training this LOVE for about 12 years. If someone wants to get tired, I invite you. If not, erase this LOVE and forget it

14. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

I would love to be the next owner of the engine, and I would rip it to bits and drag it kicking and screaming into 2021...

Let's see where we end up in a couple of years :)

15. ARuscoe

You would have to completely rewrite the engine from scratch and try not to mess up too many DLC on the way.

16. dunkrez

Yeah, I'd take a look at the engine before I make any roadmap plans or claim anything about the engine, I doubt it would require a rewrite from scratch, more likely a lot of rearranging with lots of scratch built elements binding everything together. This wouldn't be the first time I've done this type of thing.

17. ARuscoe

It's built on DX9...

18. niedzielskimirek

Of course I have the same problem. I build a lot of routes for myself. Building in the provided editor is a tragedy. The route editor is a big misunderstanding. Building 1 kilometer of the route in the field is a torment road. Build something underground !!! or in the mountains - "Texas chainsaw" (such a movie). Profanity is everyday life. I got into this swamp after Trainz. I bought it, invested a lot of money in the hope that the update would change something for the better. With each new version, the FPS dropped, I changed my computer to a more powerful one, after the recent updates this message about "memory" 64 appeared. We are looking for those responsible for this message.
    1. Turn off all applications that send messages on WIN 10.
    2. Turn off in WIN 10 turn off all the gradual "bells and whistles" the most primitive window graphics.
    3. Disconnect from the "cloud"
    4. Lots of anti-virus programs wreak havoc on your system. I had problems with laser printers when I serviced them. This may be related to graphics card drivers, which I do not confirm, but in the case of HP laser printers this problem occurred, probably AVAST as I remember. Use antivirus from MICROSOFT. But not all the time. To be scanned every now and then.
    5. Use the computer that you have for Train Simulator only for it.
    6. Internet is a pile of LOVE, avoid contact with parties not related to this game.
    7. No antivirus program can protect you from the virus.
    8. Remember that old computers had a BIOS that protected your computer from foreign interference. Now you have UEFI that allows you to do whatever is stored in it. And it can be anything. This is no longer your computer.
    9. In STEAM, in Train Simulator properties, disable the option "Save Saved Games to Steam Cloud for Train Simulator"
    10. Work in Steam offline.
    11. If you buy a route, edit it and remove everything that is outside the viewing ferry from the driver's cab. Crazy builders load so many griffins, I don't know why, because I can only see what's in the cabin. This is the biggest problem. 200m from the cabin no more is needed.

19. niedzielskimirek

Google translate passed dung on love

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  20. niedzielskimirek

Translate google cheating according google love at my place this dung,man.
    DTG does nothing, because he doesn't know what to do. Only the money counts.

21. dunkrez

True, but there will be fundamental elements that remain the same.

22. niedzielskimirek

Translation bad engine DX9. You put in the wrong fuel or your car will drive

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2020
  23. niedzielskimirek

Ja sie z tym pogodziłem jak z koronawirusem
    I accepted it as with the coronavirus

24. ARuscoe

12 years ago it wasn't a bad engine. It just hasn't been updated since, and look at how TSW-TSW2 transition went...

Not too many people will take things lock stock and barrel from one engine to another. Most rebuild completely (and charge for such)

25. niedzielskimirek

12. Multiple reskins cause error 64

26. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

27. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

niedzielskimirek I've removed your posts from this thread. If you have an issue with the game we'll do our best to help, but ranting across multiple consecutive posts is the wrong way to seek that help.

28. kungfubeer

kungfubeer New Member

I unchecked all DLCs and launched it. No out of memory errors. Now I am turning a few on at a time.

29. simulator fan

simulator fan Member

Well we are now in 2022! Isn't there any one out there, more skilled than myself, who can analyse a repeatable fault in order to determine the cause and 'cure' of OOM crashes? I am sure that there would be plenty of people prepared to pay for a solution. If its an instability in the program itself can't this be corrected?
    We have suffered this problem for years. The 'solutions' suggested just seem to waste people's time and money.

30. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

In my experience and after cleaning up my install and having no crashes for some time now, the problem is missing error handling code in TS. Bad assets, and there are many, or too much workshop subscriptions lead to crashes. Instead of explaining what happened TS just leaves you with an Out-of-Memory popup which hides what is really happening.

A good thing to clean your workshop without losing the content actually is to close TS, go to Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\24010\ and delete all the files (zipped WS content)! Then go to Steam's TS Game Properties->Workshop and untick everything. Because you deleted the zipped contents yourself Steam will not touch the WS scenarios because it thinks it has already removed them and you still have them, resulting in less crash probability and faster startup, as the workshop contents folder is browsed every time you start TS. (I had 330 subscriptions slowing down startup noticeably)

I've also removed corrupt assets like the Scenery\Wildlife from Alaska for example, after which I have not seen any crashes playing this route.

TrainSim-Steve
    DTG should implement error handling ASAP, because for new and technically inexperienced players this game can be very very frustrating and they'll be put off soon. You don't want them to buy Trainz, do you?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2022
  31. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The program itself will run without problems - it is third party add-ons that cause people problems.
    Reskins, Workshop routes and Scenarios and other add-ons cause the problem
    People are happy to download files from various websites and then when it causes an error it must be DTG's fault.

I was having problems with crashes and simply removing Workshop content salved the problem
    The DLC on the workshop is not tested - people install a route/scenario and it causes a problem but there is nothing to get that faulty item removed or even flagged to get it removed.

32. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

And it is not the problem with the Workshop content itself, it is the handling (corrupting files when unpacking the content zips) and no Error Handler in TS's code.

33. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

I share your sentiments, but this may NOT be a repeatable fault and the variables are in the millions+ so finding a solution may never happen.
    I started simming in TS in 2012 and then it was a 32-bit app running on my 64-bit rig even then we experienced OOMs – called SBHH – ‘something bad has happened’ but still an 0xC000005 error – OOM.
    From extensive investigation (following on from analysing FSX) using every MS Sysinternals tools that I could - I narrowed it down to severe defragmentation and/or lack of contiguous space in the Virtual Address Space. I used several registry hacks like changing the size of the Desktop Heap and a Windows server hack HeapDecommitFreeBlockThreshold (which allowed TS full access to the VAS) and neither worked at all.

I concluded that it was a base coding issue that occurred in many simulators at that time. As I didn’t have access to the base code, I could not investigate the error further.

In 2018 DTG converted TS from 32-bit to 64-bit and that should have ended any OOM errors due to VAS fragmentation as TS20XX could possibly access up to 8 TERAbytes of VAS and it would be hard to fragment that with TS. (It doesn’t use 8 TB it is just able to access that huge amount).

But the errors continue – why?
    If there is a discrepancy between the VAS allocation and the Physical RAM allocation of just 1 x 4K page address – then TS will stop, and you will get a spurious OOM error.

Well, if the 32-bit original base code is faulty converting it to 64-bit won’t alter that and may make things worse as a 64-bit app running in a 64-bit OS places RAM addresses much more accurately than a 32-bit app.

Did DTG set the Large Address Aware Flag that would allow TS to access more than 4 Gigabytes of VAS?

Was the 32-bit to 64-bit carried out in accordance with industry standards?

The paging file size fix is rubbish - it is the moving of the PF to another area on your HDD that fixes that problem. Remember this – the bigger the PF the more data corrupt or otherwise that it retains.

To show you how difficult it is to solve:

I have the JT Metropolitan Line and one or two scenarios give me OOMs. The scenario opens in the loco cab and immediately closes with OOM. If I then clear the blueprint cache and restart TS and choose the same scenario – OOM. But on a third/fourth/fifth retry, the same scenario will run.
    Remove the player train with TS-Tools and the scenario loads perfectly but you can’t drive anywhere.
    Change the player train and all its consists to Red Buffers and it will usually load and run.
    Now thousands of simmers can run this scenario without error – and now you can perhaps see why OOM errors may not be repeatable. The errors may be idiosyncratic to a PC, the OS, and all other software that you use.

I hope that it can be fixed but it will be quite a complex task

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I think DTG should now have enough information to insert error handling code and prevent further Ariane 5 explosions.;)

35. simulator fan

simulator fan Member

A thank you to Peter Hayes for his really informative reply. The bit....... "If there is a discrepancy between the VAS allocation and the Physical RAM allocation of just 1 x 4K page address – then TS will stop, and you will get a spurious OOM error." is really interesting. I agree that fixing this looks like quite a complex problem to say the least. But at least you seem to have identified the real issues likely to be causing the problem. Ultimately, in my opinion, it is DTG's game. They released the 64bit version, are making money from it, and should allocate resources to deal with the ongoing problems. It is not a legacy bit of software from their point of view. ie they are continuing to get a revenue stream from it! I have also run the game with no workshop content or third party content on a fresh install and the fault has still occurred! My conclusion is therefore that 3rd party content can cause the problem but that this is not always the case. You only have to look at all the bugs on TSW2 to realise that DTG are quite capable of producing bugs without third party help! :)

36. Peter Hayes

SimFan
    Yes, to be fair to DTG if you just run TS20XX with only DTG (exclusive - no third party involved) DLC, Routes, Scenarios etc then one of these vague OOMs would NOT occur. It is, as you say, 3rd party addons or vigorous editing that seems to cause the issues (even 3rd party stuff eventually sold by DTG)

37. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Which makes me wonder if there's a PC in DTG's offices having all DLC installed...

38. dirk-rass

dirk-rass New Member

Ich habe auch ein Problem mit der Zugkomposition in Quickdrive, wenn ich versuche, mein Depot zu laden, um Züge auszuwählen, bekomme ich einen Absturzabwurf.
    TS2022.jpg
    TS2022 1.jpg
    TS2022 2.jpg
    TS2022 3.jpg

39. LinuxFreakLOL

LinuxFreakLOL New Member

Wow... exactly... these low-memory issues have been plaguing other simulation games too (Cities Skylines, TransportFever 1 and 2, the ones I'm familiar with but there must be more)

I registered just to share this.
    This might be a temporary workaround that I just found yesterday upon researching other Windows 10 issues (constant pagefile writing even with no apps open)
    Search for an app called EmptyStandbyList.exe
    Or something like RamMap (which has that same app built-in)
    You open up a CMD command prompt windows with Admin Rights and type this:
    c:
    cd c:\folder\example\location_of_app
    EmptyStandbyList.exe workingsets|modifiedpagelist|standbylist|priority0standbylist
    (typing it like that won't run it, you will have to run the first 3 separately... don't worry, the first time you clean StandbyList it will take a lot of time and your desktop will freeze, even mouse freezes, just wait a couple minutes... your Free RAM will be reclaimed and all Caches will be gone, flushed...)
    This is how you type it to run:
    EmptyStandbyList.exe workingsets
    EmptyStandbyList.exe modifiedpagelist
    EmptyStandbyList.exe standbylist
    < you can put the above inside a BAT file and create a shortcut for it, just remember to check Run With Admin Privileges >

There are reports of people having to run this command line to maintain smooth framerates in games such as GTA V, Team Fortress, Call of Duty and the most extreme example Xcom (I think it's Xcom 2 with mods, not sure because I haven't played it)
    Explanation for that is:
    Windows is pretty good at memory management (better than Linux in my experience) but the problem is that Windows does not reclaim memory after you closed programs, it doesn't flush/discard the old caches (don't worry, Linux is even worse at this, you can drive your entire system to a Reboot freeze simply because it runs out of memory)
    You use that command for Windows to free up all the old caches and reclaim your Free memory.
    Keep an eye on Resource Monitor and see your Standby Memory list growing up again, but at least it will keep under control.
    For certain games that make use of a lot of assets at the same time (like this one) you will probably need to run this command EVERY single time after closing the game.

I will leave a copy of my BAT file that I use below.
    Simply paste this inside Notepad and rename the Text file to BAT extension.
    Don't forget to check Run With Admin Privileges!!
    Tell Me if it worked for you later
    c:
    cd c:\users\myname\Downloads
    EmptyStandbyList.exe workingsets
    timeout 2
    EmptyStandbyList.exe modifiedpagelist
    timeout 2
    EmptyStandbyList.exe standbylist
    timeout 2
    EmptyStandbyList.exe priority0standbylist
    timeout 1
    echo "Done............................................ Press Enter for closing......"
    timeout 5

40. LinuxFreakLOL

LinuxFreakLOL New Member

Hello there.
    I have potentially good news!!
    Try my temporary fix I just posted above.

My suspicion:
    It's a memory management issue
    I experienced a lot of that on Linux too.
    It's a problem that affects both Windows and Linux.

41. Peter Hayes

LFLOL
    Just to let you know the details in your post were some of the first things that I tried.
    Unfortunately, It did NOT stop OOMs for me!
    I even had a bat file that I ran to recover standby RAM prior to running TS - I still see/saw OOM's
    However, it is probably still worth a try and maybe more successful if you have low RAM installed.
    To me it is more about an issue with the VAS/RAM interface - that was always present in the original 32-bit sim and not fixed when the 64-bit version was introduced.
    For me the best "fix" is:
    Run a DTG scenario that works for a few minutes.
    Close that and open the scenario that causes the OOM - it will usually run OK - with no issues.
    From extensive research, there was no difference in the amount of standby RAM involved in this type of situation.

42. LinuxFreakLOL

LinuxFreakLOL New Member

That's interesting, it seems to coincide with my experience in other games:
    Up until 2017 or so (before my disk died and I migrated to Linux for the possibility of running system directly from USB) I was still running a 32-bit copy of Windows 7. Until 2017!! And I NEVER ever had insane memory issues like these. (the 2GB limit per application actually kept things under control!)
    The problem is:
    Certain games require 64-bit system in order to even start up.
    Example of this is Cities Skylines (another game that is plagued by all kinds of optimization problems... sometimes you can only finish loading a map in your 3rd or 4th try, to give one example...)

I am currently investigating if I can find ways to permanently disable the Prefetch and Superfetch services on Windows 10 permanently (this last one is proving to be almost impossible) Or in the very least to limit the max amount Superfetch grows to. (such an useless feature in my eyes, it brings zero benefits compared to the amount of hassle it introduces)

If Microsoft actually enabled users the CHOICE
    to permanently disable or limit memory caching, I would say we would have the best operating system in the market.
    This is an issue that currently plagues both Windows and Linux.
    Whoever comes up with a solution first (meaning: not hardcoding these features into their system) will secure huge portions of the user market.

The text ended up becoming much longer than I wanted.
    But just to finish:
    I find pretty annoying and upsetting that I'm having MORE memory issues in this brand new 16 GB laptop I just bought, compared to my older 2010 laptop with only 4 Gigs of RAM... The myriad of issues and system freezes I have been experiencing in this hardware 10 years younger is unbelievable, not even in my worse nightmares I expected something like this.

43. Peter Hayes

I guess that you have tried these methods: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-superfetch-prefetch-ssd and https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-tweak,2911-5.html.
    I use a PowerShell command to disable Superfetch (aka Sysmain).
    As I say - I believe that the OOM error seen in TS is due to a mismatch of the addresses between the VAS and the Physical RAM and with 16 GB of RAM there could be at least 4,000,000+ issues or solutions.
    To be fair - I have never seen an OOM using a DTG Route and only DTG scenarios.
    Just Trains Scenarios in some routes have given me some OOMs - sometimes "fixed" by my statement above.
    AP DLC/Routes/Scenarios - no issues.
    WS Scenarios around 2% gave me OOMs.
    Run Windows 10 in Safe mode - OOMs still present - same with Clean Boot - indicating that it is probably NOT a Windows error.
    In the days pre TS 64-bit - I analysed several OOMs (log files from fellow simmers) using ProcMon, Process Explorer, VMMap, and on rare occasions XPerf! Unfortunately, I never found any commonality that might cause the OOM error. IMO that could be due to the fact that TS OOMs are due to delayed extended Hard Page Faults or more likely Invalid Page Faults and these may not be recorded "quickly enough" by any of these SysInternals Utilities.

44. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Oh dear, perhaps that explains the uptick in CTDs since I upgraded to 64 GB RAM (for another game, before someone points out that I wasted my money if it was just for TSC).

45. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

CTD/OOMs are mostly asset related in my experience. Since I'm still running on Windows 7 and invested in an i7 (TS mainly needs processor power) years ago, I'm having no trouble - but that is also because I take a lot of care installing DLC (especially JustTrains stuff, see the Steam reviews for Aylesbury.)

My knowlegde base:

- No editor crashes since I limited the FPS to 60 (starting parameter -FPSLimit=60)
    - run in Full Window (no Alt-Tab crashes, best performance - stay away from DX9 exclusive Fullscreen mode)
    - no 3rd party AV programs
    - manual installation of JT routes.
    - fixing bad assets .bins myself (See the East Midlands Coal keyboard issue https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...-concerning-ooms-and-strange-behaviour.54420/)
    - make sure you don't have BNSF rebranding packs installed together with the unbranded ROW packs (crashes)

Considering JustTrains, I recently bought the Aylesbury line. Before that I checked SteamDB.info for the files to be installed.
    Sometimes they provide their assets in .ap format, sometimes loose files and folders. Which can lead to crashes having the same asset both inside an .ap and outside.

What I do is before installing, I create a seperate "Assets" folder and rename the original to "Assets.orig". I wait for install to finish and then manually transfer the files. If there's files I already have because of other JT DLCs, I merge them together in the corresponding folder, choosing to overwrite the earlier released file versions with the recent ones. Route runs trouble free, but I know why people can't play it and post bad reviews.

Part of the JT issues got fixed with the latest update but they'll surely have a way to go to fix all of their DLC packages.

I understand many people are angry and frustrated. There's two ways of seeing TSC - a complete game, or a platform open for everybody to develop.

I see it as a platform. Some devs play by the rules, some don't. And with everybody having different systems and different DLC libraries, I see it is next to impossible for DTG to have a solution for every issue.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2022