Other Incorrect Brake Valve Settings

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Th3RaMbLeR, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Th3RaMbLeR

Th3RaMbLeR New Member

Something I don't quite understand is this. Why when I get on a train, or light locomotive, the locomotive is set up in trail with the handbrake off? I bring this up simply because if Dovetail wants me to go thru the trouble of setting the locomotive up for lead, then it should be properly done anyhow. The locomotive MU-2A should be set for lead/dead and the automatic brake valve cutout valve should be placed in freight.

Being a Class 1 qualified locomotive engineer, this little issue drives me nuts.

• Like Like x 2
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Th3RaMbLeR

Th3RaMbLeR New Member

I've worked for a major US freight railroad for 14 years. It's little things like this that drive me nuts

4. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

...I’m sure you know what you’re talking about- too bad DTG didn’t consult with folks like you to proof some of the procedures in their docs before release.

I had a heck of a time figuring out how to configure DPU operation (so that it actually works) in the Oakville Sub route in TSW 2020. It turns out DTG left out a key step at the end of the procedure, which was to turn on the Banking radio in the lead unit up front. Without this last step (in the sim anyway) the DPU units in back won't throttle up and down in sync with the units at the head of the train.

Would welcome your thoughts on any freight-related procedures in the DTG docs, and how they differ from the procedure in real life. Thanks in advance, and welcome to the forums.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  5. Th3RaMbLeR

Th3RaMbLeR New Member

I'll have to sit down and go thru the documents that DTG put out. I figured if there was a "sim" i wouldn't have to read the manual on, this would be it, but I guess I was wrong.

I understand not going for full realism, as it takes quite a bit of time to train and qualify as a locomotive engineer, then longer to truly understand the job, but if you are going to implement procedures, at least don't have you do it in a way that is against the real life operating rules :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  6. UP_conductor79

UP_conductor79 Member

I know right!!!! I have been fighting with DTG ever since the first TWS about their signaling, permanent speed limits, train brakes and dynamic brakes and independent brakes, to sounds and headlights, trees and bushes setting either on the track or very close to it. And almost nothing has changed since then by them. Or you have people on here that has NO clue about train operations or anything related to trains. But yet they set there and question (not everyone) EVERYTHING that you say.

Maybe it's the railroader in me but it drives me crazy. I to understand not making this "sim" 100% realistic, has much has you do, but like you said at least get the operating rules correct. But, I would go much further, DTG should get technical support from that specific company/subdivision or at least have REAL railroaders test and then listen to them and make the necessary changes, within reason of course. Maybe their do, who knows. But to sum it up. I have given up and I hate to say this, but I don't care one way or the other, because it doesn't matter any longer. Because this game isn't no sweet off my back. Honestly, I check in here time-to-time to see what's going on and that's about it and I have completely stopped playing their games.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NW 1218

NW 1218 Member

I have a post in the suggestions page that outlines a lot of the signalling, speed limits, all that jazz. As a qualified engineer, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that scratches my head at a few things. I get pretty tired of cutting every air stand in every time I climb on an engine. It's just not realistic. If the train is tied down, set it up like it's tied down, IE handbrakes on the engines, 20lbs set, IND set, all that stuff. That'd be more realistic...in my mind.

8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This game has no competition in passenger services. The Run8 freight is better in many ways, but not all. In my opinion, there are no more interesting alternatives.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Th3RaMbLeR

Th3RaMbLeR New Member

Exactly! If I was to leave a locomotive standing as we now find them, I would be getting called to the carpet!

• Like Like x 1
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I don’t really want to have to read every train company’s rulebook to ensure everything I do is correct and I wouldn’t expect any train sim developer to have everything exactly as it is is in real life. For one thing, that’s impossible to achieve, without limitless resources. Most people want to hop into a train, fiddle with a few things to set it up and drive away. If every train was left like the real life operator has in their rulebook, and all the starting up procedures were exactly like in reality, then using the sim would be like working. I’m here for enjoyment. I like things to be broadly realistic and well simulated but I’m not going to be fussed if in real life you have to set widget x to ‘exterminate’ but in TSW you don’t. Rail companies don’t like everything to be identical in the sim either for security reasons. They don’t want TSW to be a handbook on how to joyride in a real locomotive. Could some things be simulated better? Yes. Does it need to be 100% authentic? No, not at this price. It’s not a training simulator, it’s a fun one, meant not just for train engineers, but for everyone.

PS. The MU-2A valve is set as Trail by default so that all locomotives are set up ready to be a trail loco, and you just need to set the one you are going to drive to Lead. It avoids you having to get out of your loco and walk down to any linked locos setting them all to Trail, instead you just have to change yours to Lead from where you are in your seat. It’s to help the player, rather than being realistic. It’s the same for brakes being cut-out when you start, you just cut yours in, don’t touch the others.

11. breblimator

breblimator Guest

valuable insight
    but

<- a free mod

With this cold-start it is not entirely impossible :)
    I like these procedural things there!

UPDATE

Maybe it should be in the options: cold-start ON / OFF

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2020
  12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If I wanted to do that, I’d become a real pilot. Give me a big red button that says ‘start plane’ and I’ll be good to go :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. breblimator

breblimator Guest

hehe, ready-to-go is an option there :)
    but maybe this is not a big deal that's true

• Like Like x 1
  14. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

What he said ^..

High learning curve because the realism is damn near on point. I haven't ran American freight on any other sim longer than 10 mins ever since I've touched Run 8 - made me realize how much these other sims lack. It's just hard to get fully emerged when so many aspects are missing. Slack action, EOT device, controlling another unit separately from the head end, etc, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  15. NW 1218

NW 1218 Member

When speaking of the brake settings being proper, we're speaking of the game defining what the front of the train or consist is ahead of time. Take the Long Island, for example. Trains pull into the station, and you take them over starting a scenario, mid-run. When you sit down, the entire cab has to be brought up. Just like every engine you get on, you have to set it up from trail. It's just confusing.