PlayStation Well, How Is Isle Of Wight?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Valdez, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

well im so glad and happy that i did not buy this route. to me DTG are going from bad to worse since TSW2 was launched, im mean why mess up a game TSW2020 when really there wasnt much wrong with it ok it had a few bugs now and again but it was playable and they always more or less fixed the bugs straight away except one or two things where we did wait a year to fix.
    it comes back to the old saying why try to fix it when its not broke.
    ill wait until this route gets fixed and comes into the sales, ive saved myself £20 the best thing ive ever done with this game

• Like Like x 7
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I am curious if this newer version of UEngine offers so many new possibilities.

3. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

It seems the new version of the unreal engine is causing more problems for dtg and rivet then the old version. What a joke

• Like Like x 3
  4. TheTipsyRaccoon

TheTipsyRaccoon Well-Known Member

Possibilities maybe not, but excuses...

• Like Like x 3
  5. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

You know something's wrong with the game/dlc when the best thing someones done with it is TO NOT SPEND MONEY.

• Like Like x 6
  6. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Hell I'm glad that I didn't buy it either. $24.99 I said was already overpriced and with the routes problems, this route won't sell very well.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Beta test suggests feedback is worked on and fixed!
    Just glad I didn't part with my well earned cash for this one.

• Like Like x 7
  8. flickyhecky

flickyhecky Active Member

Ohh...ive fallen through a gap in the fence (also just past Brading Station) not going live with it as its just boring wooded area so far!

9. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Personally i feel a bit sorry for rivet...they've been working hard on it , sending us lovely screenshots, delaying it to fix other issues, I recon their hearts are broken by the displeasure

• Like Like x 3
  10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

There is quite a nice atmosphere under the YT trailer. Perhaps most are satisfied after all.

11. ZeenozPlays

I feel bad as well. It seems like they were taking their time. But a lack of testing is what caused this. They could learn from these mistakes and come back stronger with the Arosa Line.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ZeenozPlays

Perhaps most of those people are on PC and haven't seen the Buggy Buttons. (Rivet, Please make that a Scenario Name)

• Like Like x 2
  13. BAZ

BAZ Member

Another issue - There is no scheduled time to stop at a stop so you don’t get any medals. A complete disaster of a launch I must say.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

15. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

I have been having so much fun on Island of Wight. The route itself is very detailed and the small touches on the lighting and everything really make for a great experience, plus what other route do we get to drive over the ocean on a pier. Very happy!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Did you find the camera down a path off the track?

• Like Like x 1
  18. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Hopefully PS4 IOW owners will be able to ask questions on the stream in 20 mins time without being shut down by the mods

• Like Like x 1
  19. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Ouch.

Can't say it isn't fair however.

We won't have any additional feedback for you today, but this is top of the list for a follow-up as soon as possible.

Please collate a list of anything you've found that isn't up to scratch and post it in this thread, it'll help us in reporting back.

• Like Like x 8
  20. matthewbguilford

42B67137-30C5-4734-9EBB-8B4F821FD92A.jpeg 2C19AA51-C8D0-4E62-825E-9D04BD5B3E9C.jpeg
    If we compare Rivet games DB204 loco with the Class 483 cab I think it’s safe to assume that Rivet want and do deliver quality. I’m assuming anything lower then this quality wasn’t intended and things such as the buttons in the cab will be fixed.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Dodgy buttons aside, I'm loving this route and finding it a pleasure to drive. The scenery throughout is lovely and quite detailed and the openable windows in the passenger saloon is a nice touch.

Just a few things I've noticed, the stop markers are a bit far from the buffers at Ryde and Shanklin, especially if driving a 4 car train and the destination blinds don't seem to be set for Service mode. It'd also be nice if we could have the scheduled arrival times for stations in timetable mode.

I did also find myself driving unit 10 which I don't think was ever in passenger service but of course this shouldn't be of any priority.

• Like Like x 3
  22. breblimator

breblimator Guest

But why IT is not with us today? :(:(:( Where is the next Preserved Chapter? My IOW, my Waterloo...

23. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

You're right that Rivet can deliver a nice quality cab (even if the physics of the 204 are significantly wonky and a bogie was back to front on release), however I must ask why the DTG sign off process continuously leads to releases having major bugs. Once again, some of todays bugs are so substantial there is no way any tester could have missed (and I don't believe they did miss them), yet the issues make it into a supposedly finished and polished product.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  24. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This is a disaster. To counter the effort of many people at the very end with such sad stories. I'm watching the stream of the PC version. I guess it looks normal.

• Like Like x 2
  25. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It isn't a disaster. I have just had a run on it, on PC and I am very impressed. It sounds good, the route is pretty and well modelled. The only thing that has irritated me so far is the stop markers at Shanklin means the train sits too far up the platform. Hardly a disaster, obviously there are some problems for PS4 users but nothing game breaking and I am sure they will be fixed.

• Like Like x 3
  26. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I would watch ~two~ screenshots, such as autumn with rain, snow - is it snow there? I became distrustful.
    PS Disaster - I mean such a quality control oversight - consoles.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2020
  27. theorganist

But even then it isn't a disaster. Disaster would be it not working at all.

• Like Like x 1
  28. flickyhecky

Can we at least agree that their is a major issue with it being on the PS4. I watched a stream where it ran on a PC and the buttons and dials were actually round and not wonky.

No train simulator game is going to be perfect, not unless Dovetail get taken over by Microsoft!

Also, I think Matt called me out on the live stream for spoiling the surprise of the location of the last camera! Oops.

• Like Like x 2
  29. theorganist

I agree that it seems the PS4 version has suffered, I hope they sort it out quickly. I do think we should maybe wait to find out why before apportioning blame.

• Like Like x 1
  30. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Maybe I'm too strict - in my work, such things were punished by public flogging :D

Now everything is falling into place. They did not show IOW on PC yesterday, because in this arrangement they would have to show it today on the console during the stream. Thanks to this, we saw HMA. Suits me. On PC, IOW is... pretty cool.

So, is it possible to turn on snow or not? :D

31. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Having watched tonight’s live stream with IoW played on PC. Wow. The train and the route look gorgeous.

The detailing in the cab is excellent and you can see the engraving in the reverser and everything looked rounded and high quality. The lighting and sounds also looked and sounded great too.

If it will look like this on PS4 once the texture issue is sorted I’ll be a happy man.

Short of the above, my main feedback is:
    • The missing trophies (4 instead of 10).
    • Only being able to earn a bronze medal as AP doesn’t get high enough for gold.
    • The fact I’ve seen two drivers, one in each cab in AI operated trains. This seemed to happen in TS Classic too as I’ve seen videos where there is a driver in each cab.
    It makes the disappointment even worse that PC players get the route and train in all her glory and PS4 players don’t. But seeing what the route can look like gives me hope at least.

Rivet really have done a good job on IoW.

• Like Like x 4
  32. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’ve put what I’ve found in the technical reports forum, as per the usual method.

• Like Like x 3
  33. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

Thanks for engaging DTG Protagonist - It certainly looks a lot better on PC than the PS4 streams. The PS4 issues are beyond staggering, but I think DTG understand that now so no point labouring the issue.

As well as what’s been reported by stujoy I’d suggest that route bumpiness or head sway could be improved - the Island Line isn’t that smooth.

Also from the stream there were a couple of occasions where a distant signal was at caution despite the home signal being at proceed (you can see one example in the last 10 minutes or so on the stream). Although there could be valid signalling reasons for this, in this case I’ll say (again) your testers really need to start driving the route with the HUD “Next Aspect” off and actually read the signals on the route. Next aspect off should be default for play testing the routes. You appear to be largely relying on the HUD for signalling at the moment, (For the preservation crew NTP is the worst offender for this, route signalling is awful).

Reports of A/A formations with drivers at both ends rather than an A/D formation. Maybe somebody else can fill in more details.

Destination boards incorrect. In the second stream scenario it had Ryde St Johns when it was going to Shanklin. If that’s beyond the capabilities of the tech then default of Shanklin on one end and Pier Head on the other would probably suffice, as long as the scenario could override.

AI trains driving without lights.

• Like Like x 2
  34. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

That's actually correct. A semaphore distant should only be in the off position when both the home and starting signal are in the off position. As Rivet have set up the route to have a danger signal at the end of the platform, most of the distant signals will never clear.

• Like Like x 2
  35. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

Ahh, hadn’t spotted the starter being at red, yes if that’s the case then it’s working better than NTP ever did. Thanks LucasLCC. (My comment on testing with next aspect turned off stands though!)

36. matthewbguilford

“The PS4 issues are beyond staggering, but I think DTG understand that now so no point labouring the issue.”
    Other then the issues with the visuals in the cab, what is so staggering? I just enjoyed a couple services on IOW and putting aside the cab issue I had a fantastic experience. The atmosphere of the whole route is no doubt one of the best we have received. Very happy with this route.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

What is a ‘home’ signal?

38. Northerner

Just out of interest, has anyone found the manual that was mentioned in the class 483 introduction?

39. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I don’t think one has been published yet.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

i don’t want to go over it all again - (IMHO) it should never have shipped in that state. I’m glad you don’t mind the issues, truly, but as an aiming point for a professional software dev organisation it’s not good enough. (Again, IMHO)

• Like Like x 2
  41. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

most people are familiar with automatic multi-aspect block signalling where each signal leads to the next. There is an older method, mostly from the days of signal boxes, called absolute block working where a train is accepted or received into a section, and will only get a distant proceed if all signals in that block are at proceed. The starter signal is the last signal in that block, the one that releases the train towards the next absolute block. Have a look at Absolute Block Signalling on YouTube and you’ll find some delightful old content, but the key is the distant (yellow semaphore) signal warns about all following home (red semaphore) signals within that block, not just the next one down the line.

• Like Like x 1
  42. matthewbguilford

On PS4 the only bug I am getting the cab button visual glitch, it’s definitely far from what we expect and want but I haven’t had any other bugs. Once I was driving I didn’t even notice the cab. I really just started enjoy the route and what Rivet had done, and I must say it’s a really gorgeous route and is very atmospheric. I’d say it might turn out to be one of the best routes for TSW2. Well sure having no bugs would be great and all, but I’m not going to let that ruin the 95% that is great.

• Like Like x 2
  43. Northerner

This is a good video made by the LMS which describes the principles of Absolute Block signalling.

Also includes some cracking background music!

• Like Like x 4
  44. theorganist

I agree, it amuses me when people can only find the negative points and "forget" to mention the positive points. A bit of balance goes a long way.

Admittedly I am on PC so haven't had the glitches PS4 owners have and I have found a few minor things which I don't like, which I mentioned on the PC forums but overall the route is far more positive than it is negative.

You get the impression here that is a complete disaster and there is nothing good about it at all!

• Like Like x 1
  45. chrisrose1993

chrisrose1993 Member

This is how IOW is...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. breblimator

breblimator Guest

That's all true, but

47. flickyhecky

I think I've explored every inch of the route now (been up since midnight, had a few hours sleep this morning), my cats hate me because I've been on the PS4 all day, I might have a rest till the weekend.

• Like Like x 3
  48. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

That is unfortunately the reality of first impressions - they do tend to have the strongest influence. How much better would the overall perception be if it hadn’t shipped with the LoD issue, or even if the PC version had surfaced first, but here we are. Hopefully DTG/Rivet will take that on board - I’m sure more people will like the IoW route in the future. To be clear I’m not saying you’re wrong for buying it, and I’m glad that you enjoy it. It’s just that shipping with a significant, although not show stopping bug harks back to the bad old days of RailSimulator. Imagine you were a PS4 player and you’d seen this thread this morning, with only the positives, then you spent your money on the route and found the buttons were broken and there was no manual - would you still be happy? The positives show themselves in the pictures and videos, the negatives we must point out.

• Like Like x 2
  49. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

Saved me 34$ CAD. it will go to the next Munich augsburg. good thing i waited

• Like Like x 1
  50. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

What really annoys me about being a console player of TSW2 is that we pay more money for an inferior product. £19.99 on console compared to £17.99 on PC and what do we get? Inferior resolution and textures, hexagons for buttons and lag (albeit not much on this route). It's so infuriating. I don't understand why the sharpness and contrast of the game is so much better on PC than on console. Watching the DTG stream this evening the route looked lovely but then switching to a PS4 stream the route looked washed out, devoid of colour and textures that the PS3 could have handled.

This would be fine if the routes were cheaper or at least the same price as on PC but they are not, they are actually more expensive as we don't get a preorder discount..

• Like Like x 5