Aggregate Industries

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rhino99, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Rhino99

Rhino99 New Member

still after updates there is still no fix for the mission aggregate industries when trying to uncouple the loco at acton yard to refuel nothing happens even tryed keyboard shortcuts still will not disconnect and can not finish the task and also the old oak common mission the tracks are missing

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

Sad but true fact: play all scenarios after the DLC is released before the first patch because DTG will sure break stuff with the next "bugfix" in the so far working scenarios.
    With this i could successfully complete all scenarios in CSX, GWE and RT so far but I don't know if it's still possible. And many are reporting in steam aggregate industries is broken since the last "bugfix".

3. Rhino99

Rhino99 New Member

i cant understand what dovetail are playing at its been a problem for a bit now it looks like everyone who has it with steam are getting this bug as iv seen videos on youtube of people do the aggregate task ok with no bugs come on dovetail iv spent alot of money over the years :mad:

4. Daniel Bloch

Like I said, it worked for me without problems after release but since then there was two updates with new bugs and breaking a lot of stuff and scenarios.

5. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I don't think I've tried this one yet -- which route?

6. Rhino99

Rhino99 New Member

Aggregate Industries

7. Daniel Bloch

How many UK routes do we have? It's the class 66 scenario on Great Western Express.
    And thx for downvoting my posts.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  8. LastTrainToClarksville

You're welcome. A quick check tells me that I've run "Aggregate Industries" (nothing about the title indicates the route, by the way) without problems; I cannot, of course, identify the date of that run in relation to route updates.

9. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

So, I played this today and encountered no problems.

Has anyone else checked to see if it has been fixed or am I just lucky?

10. Rhino99

Rhino99 New Member

iv not tryed since update yesterday how are you runnging the game with steam

11. Jacko

Jacko New Member

In case it helps, I ran Aggregate Industries this weekend (Saturday evening, to be precise) with no problems. Fresh install - I bought CSX HH and GWE bundle on Saturday morning in the sale.

I'm assuming that it is considered normal to have to physically exit the 'Shed' and uncouple by hand, 'going between' old-school style. If so, it worked fine (though tbh, did make me jump a bit when the loco and the wagon jumped-back slightly, even though the brakes were on full!) The only oddity of any note (and it's really minor, the usual standard videogame-physics fun) was that re-coupling at the end of the scenario saw the last (now first) wagon in the consist juddering madly before I attached the coupling. Even before I buffered-up, that wagon was shimmying and shivering like it was suffering a really bad case of the flu! No biggie though. Everything seemed to work okay, including the manual coupling up operation once again, at which point is seemed to stop wobbling around so much and behaved itself.

I've gotta say, I had very low expectations of TSW, given the plethora of very poor Steam reviews and an early 'Let's Play' video I'd seen of it a few months ago. I'd wavered and put off buying it many times before now. Also my CPU is slightly below quoted minimum spec (Core i5 2500K, with a GTX970OC Strix GPU), but I am getting very playable results and enjoying it all immensely so far - even the US-stuff, which tbh I was not really interested in beforehand, but am now.

Sure, there are a few glitches here and there (pax on the trax is a regular occurrence, it seems), but I am hopeful this sim is going to improve, given time. We'll see. I was/am a 'Rail Simulator/Railworks/Train Simulator' devotee since the beginning, with several thousand hours racked up, and a DLC list as long as your arm, but I'd happily give all that up for the ability to play scenarios where multiple coupling-up/uncoupling ops could be conducted in one run. The classic 'pick-up goods' for example. I've long since given up waiting for that to be a possibility in TS20xx. Evidently that old game-engine simply doesn't have the scope without a major core rewrite... and I'm kinda hoping the move to the Unreal engine (which is a sturdy piece of kit, as I know firsthand) will open up that possibility once again. And more! I'm already enjoying the passenger/railfan modes, with proper 'service timetables' more than is probably healthy!

12. LastTrainToClarksville

I recently ran "Aggregate Industries" again and all went along fine until the time came to re-couple to the emptied wagons after engine refueling. No matter which direction I tried, automatic switches would not change despite the fact asking permission to pass a red signal at danger produced message to proceed with caution. As written above, I had completed this scenario previously. Perhaps there's a timing issue: completing fueling after a certain time prohibits reaching the empty hoppers?

• Like Like x 4
  13. LastTrainToClarksville

I'm not sure what you mean about not to be able to switch freight ("multiple coupling-up/uncoupling ops") in TS: I've written numerous scenarios dedicated precisely to multiple pick-up/drop off maneuvers and I'm far from the only person to have done so. Granted, the game engine (which many scenario writers refer to as "the dispatcher") gets cranky at times, but that's during the editing process, not while running the scenario.

14. Jacko

Jacko New Member

Hmm... you've got me wondering now! I do remember struggling really hard a few years ago to concoct a scenario on the London-Brighton line, where you had to pick up and drop off parts of a consist, marshalling it in one or two yards, before running round and taking it somewhere else. It was murder to build, and I was so disappointed after investing hours in scenario development, to discover that it simply couldn't be done. At the time, I think I was told (by someone who knew) that was something to do with any given loco only being able to touch a consist once, in terms of scenario goal. Or something on those lines, anyhow (it must've been way back in TS2013 days, or thereabouts... I know I hadn't tried again since, such was the despair involved!). Or it may have been that it was impossible to have a second (AI) loco or train come along and take the consist you'd dutifully marshalled-up. Not sure... but it was an annoying limitation, I remember that much!

If you can recommend me one of your workshop scenarios that does any of this, I'd be most interested in seeing it and giving it a whirl. I might even get back into scenario development again, if I can crack this!

15. LastTrainToClarksville

Let me start with the unfortunate fact that an AI engine can only couple to rolling stock that has not been moved since the scenario started running. That doesn't mean that AI engines cannot carry out switching/shunting maneuvers, just that each one has to involve rolling stock that has not been used previously.
    That should not be true for the Player Train (PT). You'll have to give me some time to recall scenarios in which I've had the PT move the same wagons more than once, but an obvious example involves running around a consist: that is, uncoupling from one end, running around the uncoupled rolling stock, and coupling to the other end. This is one of the most common maneuvers in TS switching scenarios. As to "touching" the same rack or consist of cars more than once in other situations, this can be handled by using "stealth" maneuvers: using a Trigger Instruction, for example, to tell the engineer to move one or more cars from one place to another without any pick up or drop off instructions. In such a case, the "dispatcher" never knows that the maneuvers have taken place. Of course, this allows the engineer free to ignore the "stealth" instructions, but why would he do so?
    I'm now going to thank you sincerely for challenging me about this, since you may have given me a clue toward solving a problem I'm having with a scenario I'm in the process of creating.
    More later ... probably.

16. LastTrainToClarksville

Back to Aggregate Industries for a moment, okay? As previously noted, I had completed this scenario in the past, probably within a week of GWE's first appearance. Since this thread began, I've been trying to get through it again, but cannot manage to re-couple to the consist because there's a red signal every I turn. I complete refueling without any difficulty, but cannot find a path to the consist's former rear end. What's the correct way to achieve this?

• Like Like x 3
  17. Jacko

Jacko New Member

That was it! At least, definitely part of it! I originally had plans (dreams?) of the PT waiting for the AI train to drop by, leaving part of its consist, having the PT do some marshalling, then having another AI train come fetch the rake and take it away. I remember being disctinctly disappointed when this turned out to be impossible. The other suggestion also rings bells - the 'stealth triggers' as a means of ensuring a PT had moved from A to B - but I don't recall actually trying it out. Maybe I'll have to go revisit TS and try again myself! As regards the PT driver deciding to 'skip' stuff - sadly my experience in the games development business (and even seen firsthand within TS's global rankings) is that if some fool can skip the entire game and get full marks and the top of the charts with a physically-impossible score, then some fool will. OK, so that fool is not the person I'm creating the scenario for, but 'loopholes' like that don't sit well with my OCD-gland! :) Maybe I should let it slide, and see...

Thanks so much for the insight. And I do hope you're able to crack your problem. Let us know if you do! I'll happily test (if I have the stock... I've got a fair collection, but mostly UK in TS).

As for Aggregate Industries... (and so sorry for hijacking the OP's thread with this TS stuff! If you want us to bug off, just say!) Anyway, could it be anything to do with proximity to the shunting signal? I'm convinced that on some signals, at least, there is a 10-yard approach-control zone. I'm probably wrong, but will give Aggregate Industries another crack as soon as I can... first, I must lock up my chickens for the night! No, that's not a euphemism - I really have chickens. LOL

18. Jacko

Jacko New Member

Just done Aggregate Industries again - no problem AFAICS... but I have just gone back in in 'walk mode', and noticed dwarf signal 6151 which I may not have been paying attention to! It's the exit signal from the northern complex of sidings and the fuel road. I'm guessing if it had been red, I would've lost the scenario - which I didn't - so it was probably off (two whites at 45 degrees). It sits just before the eighth set of manual-throw switches on the way out from the fuel bay. Is it this one giving you bother?

In case it matters, from there (6151) I am taking the first right turnout across the ninth double-slip (which is motor-controlled, not manual), and not the route straight on (that road leads over the ninth straight and then a tenth, past a 30 speedboard and the SN205 full-sized signal).

I end up going fully past the backward dwarf signal 6148, at which time it clears (or is already cleared, not sure. Theoretically, it must be two-reds when I am approaching from behind). Then I can just pootle back in over the ninth again (straight this time, all under dispatcher control) and from there on it's just following my nose back to the consist. All point-motors from there.

Is it 6148 then maybe? Going too far beyond it, or not enough?

I took things slow and got back to couple-up at about 11:50 hrs. Finished the job by about 11:55.

19. LastTrainToClarksville

Have you thought of using two AI engines: one to drop part of its consist and another to later pick up the leavings of the PT? You might even make the two AIs nearly identical, although they would have to have slightly different names, but not many folks pay attention to AI names. Some years ago, I downloaded a few massive routes from Amicitreni along with their tons of required rolling stock, etc. One of their techniques interested me: leaving AI trains without names (or perhaps with a "name" that consisted of a specific number of blank spaces). I've never tried that myself, but just may do so as an experiment,

20. Jacko

Jacko New Member

Ah, but that's the problem. Whether it was the first or second AI, or just one AI, it wouldn't be allowed under the sim-engine rules, to couple up to the PT's leavings or do anything with it, because it had been moved/coupled-to by the PT. :(

21. LastTrainToClarksville

Of course, you're right -- my scenario thinker must not have been working correctly.

22. LastTrainToClarksville

And the solution is -- leave it alone and it'll handle itself. No joke: after reading your response I copied it into a Word file, which I placed on my second monitor so I could consult it while trying this scenario again. Then I launched TSW, agreed to the secret security clearances, and resumed Aggravating Industries from my last save, made after fueling and before leaving the fueling station -- oh, yeah?
    When the scenario opened, these was my engine -- but not where I'd left it. While I was doing other things, some diesel jockey had found and followed the correct pathway and coupled to the correct end of the Ag-Wagons. How's that for service, folks?

By the way, I was going to restart by looking for that number 6151 dwarf signal -- I'd never noticed that signals had numbers before, but now I'll have to go back to the start to have an opportunity to try your solution.

23. Jacko

Jacko New Member

Hehe - Aggravating Industries... I like that, a lot!

I just wondered if the signal numbers actually match reality. Turns out they do:

https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/d3_1#LINK_2

Obviously that real-time, real-life display condenses much of the pointwork behind 6151 and the fuel road, but it's intended to represent the signal panel from (I guess) the Slough box. But it might be fun to watch how the stone trains do it for real one day!

I was quite impressed by this, to be honest. Minor bits of detail, properly researched, often go unnoticed, but all add up.