Pzb Alert On Rro (today's Stream)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Yerolo, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

It seems like there is a broken PZB magnet on RRO when arriving into Wuppertal from Hagen. Watching Natalie & Matt's stream this morning, Matt got hit with the same magnet and was perplexed on what caused it

He passes a green signal with a 90 speed sign (which does not need to be aknowledged) and wasn't currently under pzb monitoring (which some ppl in the chat thought it was)

For reference it happens at timestamp 50:50

Anyone have any thoughts on this one or is it a known bug? I often get hit with a penalty stop on that same section...I figured it was me doing something wrong, but when the professor got it as well, it has got me thinking

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Interesting. Looks like a bug. No reason for that magnet to be active :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

update : Looks like its user error on my part. I checked the manual for RRO and it clearly states:

When to Acknowledge
    On passing Expect Reduced Speed, Expect Stop or any speed reduction warning below 100 km/h.

For some reason I thought it was 80 and below. This explains why Matt got hit with the emergency stop as he didn't ACK the 90 sign at the signal

4. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

There is some debate happening right now about whether or not it is 90 and below, or 80 and below. DTG apparently received feedback from some people claiming that you do not need to acknowledge 90 and above, which is why nothing happens when you acknowledge a 90KM/H reduction on the new Muenchen route, but you get a 1000Hz magnet on the older routes. To be honest, I do not know which is correct in real life, and apparently neither does DTG anymore, but hopefully it will be sorted soon.

• Like Like x 2
  5. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

Does this mean that if Matt would have acknowledged it in the above video then the magnet wouldn't have triggered?

6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Ask the DB BR 423 driver on the Beta Team. I assume he’d know the correct PZB acknowledgment speeds.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  7. Celendis

Celendis Member

After researching this subject, the 1000Hz magnet should activate in any of the following situations when the PZB safety system is active:
    1. Distant signal shows "Expect stop" aspect
    2. Distant signal shows "Expect clear with medium speed" aspect
    3. There is an upcoming speed reduction
    First, note there is no exception for what speed the reduction is. However, what does "when PZB is active" mean? Well, in Germany it is required for shared (freight and passenger) lines up to 90 kph, and in some cases for lines up to 100 kph. This is where things are confusing, since PZB is somewhat of a Schrödinger's cat between 91 kph and 100 kph, unless it is specifically defined somewhere. Like a manual for the route. :cool:

On HMA, it may be that PZB is not active at line speeds over 90, which is why you don't need to acknowledge a speed reduction to 90. However, on RRO it is active at speeds up to 100 kph, as outlined in the PZB Quick Reference section of the Rhein-Ruhr Osten manual.

Source Text: From the definition of INDUSI at http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/tcrp/tcrp_rrd_47.pdf, page 36
    So, after all of this: Matt was on a 100kph line, so PZB is active. He then came across a speed reduction to 90. Therefore, the 1000Hz magnet was active and he was stopped appropriately for failing to acknowledge the restriction.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think it was the discussion from the HMA PZB thread which caused me to think it was under 90km/h before the magnet was active....but obviously there is a discrepency between routes on how it behaves (which is unfortunate).

Hopefully DTG can sort it out so it is the same across the board

9. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

If you run that service, you will notice that at the next main signal you get a speed limit of 50 km/h! And that is why Matt would have had to press the Acknowledge-button, regardless of whether 90 is checked or not - it is not PZB that is broken, but the aspect the signal is showing. It should be showing the upcoming speed limit, which it doesn't! Same happens again at the very end of the stream when leaving with the 185.
    And in general, just press the Acknowledge-button for everything below 100 and you're safe :)

There seems to be a systematic issue with how the signaler works, this is happening on multiple routes and for multiple signals, so I don't think it's a hick-up with a particular signal or spot on the route.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Celendis

Celendis Member

Well, the issue is that it may not be the same between routes in real life! I cannot find anything documenting the maximum speed of PZB per line, but it might be that the Munich line doesn't have PZB over 90 in the real world, so that is what they built.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Callum B.

It means that it would have acknowledged properly.

12. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

I don't know what you mean by that.

13. Callum B.

The magnet would be triggered regardless, but the Zwangsbremsung (emergency brake) penalty would activate if not acknowledged. If Matt had pressed PZB Acknowledge, the 1000Hz warning would have lit up on his dashboard and the penalty would not trigger.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Because of how the system works IRL (and how it should work in the game) this is not mandatory but this is a sort of best practice :)
    Theory:
    source: http://www.sh1.org
    IRL possible conditions for the magnet to be active:
    Conclusion: the surprised face of Matt (who probably knows all this... and much more) is the answer :)

PS I confirm everything <100 and all non-clear (NON-GREEN) signals.
    I am quoting delucadomenico2009 because, to my knowledge, he drives trains as a driver :) BR o7

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2020
  15. Cramnor

With my experience so far in the game, I even start to acknowledge green signals because it has happened too often that there seemed to be nothing to acknowledge (like Matt experiences twice in one stream) but there actually was :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. breblimator

breblimator Guest

In TSW2, just like in real life, sometimes things go wrong. In my opinion, "sometimes" in the case of signaling and PZB / LZB (TSW2) means less than 5% of cases. Or even less... (probably well below 1%). I guess a little. HMA e.g. is very complex - the gentlemen try to catalog it:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/signal-errors-on-hma.29512/
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/problems-with-signals-pzb.29338/

Superb job. I wish it was perfect! And it's always an excuse for a nice chat :)

UPDATE ... in Back to the Future style!
    Yes. Now I remember who showed it to me! BR, Lamplight o7 That was your absolutely amazing info that day :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2020
  17. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Glad to see this site finally getting spread on the forums. Not really that difficult to understand what needs to be ackknowledged once you know about all the track-side equipment and understand PZB‘s reasoning.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cramnor

I totally agree, can't all be perfect :) And I don't expect the same level as in real life, where that would be something of "in 1 billion hours of operation one error" or something like that :D But the aspiration would be getting there, maybe not right away, that's fair I think, but errors are reported, so it would be nice to see them fixed I think :) Especially in that case where it seems systematic :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

I'm not sure if this is related to pzb (if not, then my apologies for posting it here), but I was just watching Matt and he got some kind of alarm that made him loose his traction, which was resolved by him standing up and then entering the drivers seat again. What exactly happened there?

It's at 1m40s:

20. delucadomenico2009

delucadomenico2009 Active Member

As i said in the other thread, some signal works as a protection, this is the case. The train cooming from a 120kmh section to a 90kmh section to approach the station and the switches area. I have never find a problem here on the route, just acknowledge it and activate the brakes. The easy rule is: acknowledge every from 1 to 7. 8 and 9 works as protection and if you are running just 10/15kmh more the pzb will not activate (like the RSN) but to be sure just acknowledge and starts to brake a bit as soon as you see the orange signal (or the flashing green). As i always say the pzb system have a lot of grey area and needs a lot of practice. But just to be sure 10 or below and you are safe in every cases.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Cramnor

This is the Sifa, that has a bug on the 422 and 425, which can be fixed by leaving the driver seat and sitting back down :) the bug is that you press the Sifa button but the system does not acknowledge it

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

Ah okay, thanks. Is it the thing where you basically have to re-enter the seat once after turning it on and if you don't then the bug will occur at some point during your ride?

23. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Yes :)

Without it, SIFA does not work on some trains. Pressing [Q] does not confirm.
    This is a symptom if you do not have the appropriate message on the screen.

obraz_2020-11-01_144848.png

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  24. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

Thanks so much for the info! I've only been driving Bakerloo so far, going to take my first step with the Germans tonight. Only going to turn on Sifa at first since that one seems straight forward enough. I just have to make a habit out of re-seating after enabling it and then hopefully that bug will never be an issue for me.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Cramnor

I guess it is good practice in general to stretch your legs before you get going :D

• Like Like x 2
  26. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

PZB can be messy to understand sometimes. The general memo rule I use myself is (as explained above also):

- Distant signal (the one with diagonal lights) containing yellow (either 2 yellows or 1 green and 1 yellow): acknowledge, as it indicates speed restriction in the next block or a stop announcement.

- Distant repeater signal (the one with diagonal lights and a white light): not acknowledge. But If signal displays yellow and comes with a magnet then you need to acknowledge it, even if it´s a repeater, as you have a stop ahead. You can find this type at the entry of Finnentrop depot, for instance.

- Speed restrictions announcements lower than 100, either in boards or in signals (yellow color): acknowlege. They usually have magnets if speed reduction is significant. Eg: in an area with an active 80km/h limit an additional 70 limit whould most likely not have a magnet.

- Flashing green signals: not acknowledge, unless accompanied by speed board announcement lower than 100 (yellow color)

- Red + white signals (except dwarfs): not acknowledge, but PZB override needs to be pressed

- Additionally: 45km/h speed restriction is always active upon start or after PZB emergency brake application, until released automatically or after pressing PZB release.

"Lower than 100" means that a 100 will not require acknowledge but a 90, which is the next typical lower limit you may find yes.

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. Lamplight

You need to acknowledge speed restrictions below 80 (not including 80). Speed restrictions between 80 and 100 (including both) only have to be acknowledged if you‘re faster than 15 above the new speed limit. More information can be found in my signature.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Callum B.

This is how it should be, but this is not how DTG modelled it in the game.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Lamplight

I can confirm that it does work that way on RSN, MSB, HRR and RRO. I haven't played enough Rapid Transit and don't own HMA/MAG. But on the ones I listed this is modelled correctly including the emergency brake application due to 2000 Hz magnets for restrictions between 100-160 (this I only tested on HRR though).

30. Callum B.

I'll have to give MSB another run, then. I have not touched it since TSW2020, but I distinctly remember that route requiring 90KM/H acknowledgement even when I was running at 100KM/H.

EDIT: Just checked going northbound to Heigenbrücken, and it followed the PZB rules as it should. Glad to be wrong! :)
    I do still think that it is broken on HMA, where it won't activate a 1000Hz magnet for a 90km/h restricting, regardless of the speed of the train. I will double-check that when I find some more time.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  31. Lamplight

Glad to help you:)
    As I said, I don‘t own HMA/MAG so I‘ll trust your judgement.

32. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

this *is* a bug. 8 and 9 need to be acknowledged if Vist > 115%Vmax.

This was not the case. No reason for Zwangsbremsung there.

Cheers,
    Prof.

33. breblimator

breblimator Guest

2.12.3.2.3.7 Overview of arming the PZB magnets

The PZB magnets are armed in the following circumstances:

1000 Hz (Vigilance button pressed):
    • Notification of a maximum speed of 70 km/h or less
    • Notification of 80 km/h and the train passes at a speed of 95 km/h or more
    • Notification of 90 km/h and the train passes at a speed of 105 km/h or more
    • Distant signal on its own
    • Level crossing monitor signal indicates defective crossing

500 Hz (driving under the monitoring speed limit):
    • Main signal shows stop aspect or maximum speed less than 40 km/h
    • Restriction of the line speed to less than 40 km/h
    • Safeguarding entrance to a station when driving on the opposite track

2000 Hz (immediate application of emergency brake):
    • Main signal shows stop aspect
    • Speed monitoring section driven too fast over
    • Ne 1 board on the opposite track

source
    BR