The Sieg-railway

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Snogers, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Snogers

Snogers New Member

!Disclaimer!: I did post this into the Suggestion forum of TS2019, but i thought it would fit TSW better.

Hello fellow Train fans!

Maybe you heard of it, maybe not. Regardless of that, i will introduce to you today the Sieg Railway (Ger: Siegstrecke) and say why i think, that it should be implemented into TrainSimulator.
    First of all: What is the Sieg Railway?[​IMG]
    The Sieg Railway is a about 100 km (62,1 miles) long railway, that follows the "Sieg" river in Germany, Northrhine-Westphelia through the outer northern part of the Westerwald. 28 km of it go through Rhineland-Pfalz. It is an very curvy Route It originated out of the Deutz–Gießen railway ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutz%E2%80%93Gie%C3%9Fen_railway ).
    [​IMG]

It starts at Cologne Central Station and ends in Siegen Central Station. On its way it goes through cities like Troisdorf, Siegburg, Hennef (Sieg), Au (Sieg) and so on. Its max Speed is 160 km/h till Troisdorf and from there on 120 km/h (140 km/h at special parts of the route). Along with it goes the Köln–Rhein/Main highspeed track, that begins in cologne and ends following the Sieg railway in Siegburg. There are some more routs that follow the track, but im not gonna count them all up (I will ad an wiki link down below if you are interested in them).
    [​IMG]
    The route has 40 Bridges and 11 Tunnels. Because of WW2 damages, 2 5km parts of the route only operate on 1 track. It has 36 Stations on its way, of which most are in the mountain area. The Route is also getting used by freight trains, but i couldn't find any information about them (Maybe you can).
    [​IMG]

Siegburg Trainstation: [​IMG]
    More of it here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahnhof_Siegburg/Bonn

Betzdorf and its Trainstation:
    [​IMG]
    Lines on the Route
    There are 6 lines operating on the route, which are the following:
    Rhein-Sieg-Express (RE 9). Its 3 biggest stations: Aachen – Cologne – Siegen. Operated hourly with Bombardier Talent 2 EMUs in coupled sets, or with double-decker push-pull sets propelled by class 111 or class 120 and sometimes class 146.0 electric locomotives or occasionally class 143 electric locomotives or occasionally Silberling coaches hauled by class 111 locomotives.
    [​IMG]Bombardier Talent 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Doppelstockwagen
    [​IMG] Class 146.0
    [​IMG]Class 111
    [​IMG] Class 120
    [​IMG]
    Class 143

Westerwald-Sieg-Bahn (RB 90) of the Hessische Landesbahn as Dreiländerbahn (Limburg – Westerburg – Altenkirchen – Au (Sieg) – Betzdorf – Siegen), runs every hour after the S 12, and every half hour in the peak hour on the Altenkirchen - Betzdorf section. The trains consist of diesel railcars of class 640 or 648 for speeds up to 120 km/h
    [​IMG] Class 640
    Rothaarbahn (RB 93) of the Hessische Landesbahn as Dreiländerbahn (Betzdorf – Siegen – Kreuztal – Bad Berleburg), runs every hour after the RE 9, forms together with RB 90 a half-hour service on the Betzdorf – Siegen section. The trains consist of diesel railcars of class 640 or 648 for speeds up to 120 km/h.

S12 of the Rhine-Ruhr S-Bahn ((Horrem -) Köln-Ehrenfeld – Köln – Köln-Porz – Troisdorf – Hennef (Sieg) – Au (Sieg)), to Hennef at 20-minute intervals and hourly to Au. Forms together with S 19 a half-hour service on the Hennef – Herchen (– Au) section. Operated with coupled sets of DB Class 420 and DBAG Class 423 EMUs.
    [​IMG]Class 423
    [​IMG] Class 420
    S13 of the Rhine-Ruhr S-Bahn (Düren – Sindorf – Köln-Ehrenfeld – Köln – Köln-Bonn Flughafen – Troisdorf). Operated with coupled sets of DBAG Class 423 EMUs. (This line is known from the not so well rated Köln-Konlenz airport link extention)

S 19 of the Rhine-Ruhr S-Bahn (Düren – Sindorf – Köln-Ehrenfeld - Köln – Köln-Bonn Flughafen – Troisdorf – Siegburg – Hennef (Sieg) – Herchen). Individual services from Monday to Friday at lunch and dinner as well as daily services at night to Au (Sieg). Operated with coupled sets of DBAG Class 423 EMUs.

Final words:
    I think this route should be implemented, because it is an very beautiful and varied. It goes from Urban area (Cologne) to country area (Hennef) into the hilly area around Siegen. It follows the Sieg river through its valley with its beautiful landscape. Also parts of the Route are already existing (Airport link extension, Siegen-Hagen), and you can connect this Route with the Ruhr-Sieg South Railway (If it´s coming) because this Route ends in Siegen.

Sources:
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siegstrecke
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sieg_Railway

Edit:
    Here is an YouTube link, where you can see all Classes operating on the Route, Filmed in Siegburg:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 20
  2. Juan Manuel Luengo

Juan Manuel Luengo Active Member

Thank you. Good report and nice suggestion. A lot and attractive rolling stock (some already included in others DLC) that can be an inconvenience for its development, although ... nothing is impossible!

• Like Like x 1
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It also would connect with the existing Schnellfahrstrecke Aachen-Koln; in fact it would be very cool to be able to run the R9 Rhein-Sieg Express over its whole route.

4. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

Great, great suggestion! I hope the wizards at DTG will consider this route. Thumbs up!

Edit: I notice this is a very old thread. My mistake, but nontheless, it deserves support.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  5. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I always liked the older Hagen-Siegen route. This one looks great too. Indeed the whole area there is so nice for german routes. I´m happy to see them in game.

Cheers

6. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Looks a good candidate, but it’s probably too similar to the existing German routes.
    I expect the devs would prefer a more distinctive route with more varied and original vehicles.