C40-8w Nuance

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by breblimator, Feb 12, 2021.

1. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I tried not to notice the discounts, but I failed... :D

Prologue: in good lighting, the cabin looks okay, but it does not impress. The darker it is, the easier it is to fall in love. Gages illumination - very nice. The longer I stay inside, the more I like it. I will leave the sound without comment. There is no drama, but this is still the weakest point on the TSW agenda (in-cab).

But that's not the nuance I mean. So far every US locomotive has used 10 PSI for initial reduction. I don't know if this is a proper value (6 PSI in some another train game) or bad. Perhaps it depends on the locomotive model; maybe someone here will enlighten me in a moment :D For me, 6 pounds means OK.

Less - means more control. Especially downhill to Cumberland.

I drove out of the tunnel, initial reduction, bail off, full dynamic brake (2x Dash 8 vs ~ 5kT) - time for a short nap. To my great surprise, after returning from blissful unawareness, I saw something around 50+ MPH on the speedometer. What the...?

Initial reduction. 6 PSI. Not ten. I am happy. But that they fixed? I haven't tested the old SPG toys yet. Adam fixed it? Is this just for Dash 8?

I am thinking aloud. This is the nuance :D

PS A really cool locomotive. Feel different from the AC4400. I am pleasantly surprised.
    In the case of analog indicators, the connection to the machine seems to be more complete. So primal and almost sinful :D

UPDATE Very nice weathering. Dirt, rust here and there. A great model. It feels more three-dimensional than the AC4400. This is my impression.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

6lbs is correct for American locomotives of both the passenger and freight variety (freight usually starts at 90 psi and passenger at 110 psi).

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  3. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I agree, it's a very cool loco. That hybrid control desk makes it unique. Unfortunately it's missing the one feature that dooms its future usefulness- the missing radio fuse and banking com.

• Like Like x 3
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Cheers \o/ So it's OK now. I was afraid of this, DTG will fix something and no one will appreciate it. I hope someone was stupidly happy about it before. I was gone for a while. Thanks for the info, Callum B. Thanks, DTG! :D

I noticed it too. It would be too good... :D BR o7

5. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I love the analog gauges and the better brake control; lapped breaks would be even better!

There are some flaws and I would love an update that would put a grip it and rip it reverberating horn on the Dash 8. However, I have really enjoyed this loco and the new traffic patterns it creates. SPG is a gem in TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Fully agree on that. I feel more in control when driving a Dash 8 compared to an AC44 :D

It does have its issues like the banking comm (or rather lack thereof), but I absolutely love it.

Edit: forgot love

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

True. Today I've made some upgrades to it with THIS TOOL plus some re-skins from HERE. Now it feels just amazing with Dash 8 on the tracks... Love it!
    Yes! I play on 15" laptop and hate driving with no-hud against digital indicators. I can't see :D Analogs are prettier, atmospheric, and gives the proper control as You said.

BR o7

• Like Like x 3
  8. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

And I thought it was difficult to drive those on my 32" monitor... you must love driving the DoSto cab car without HUD

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. topcat1077

topcat1077 New Member

Absolute truth, Crosstie! Lack of operational banking comm makes for big problems. been experimenting with autorack trains and different power leaders, thus far every mix that doesn't include the 8-40, turn on the banking comm in the leader and off you go, 8-40, no deal!