Tsw Dlc Purchased Will Not Work In Tsw2

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Arrwmkr, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Arrwmkr

Arrwmkr New Member

After checking carefully the info on your page about dlc and assurred by this that I could purchase DLC for TSW and it would work in TSW2, I proceeded to buy one and lo and behold when I try to unlock it on Steam, I am required to have TSW which I do not! Very misleaded and false.
    'Your Add-Ons from Train Sim World 2020 can be played in Train Sim World'

Now I have to seek a refund

2. kuchen0125

kuchen0125 Active Member

Do you have TSW 2020 also?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Do you mean you bought DLC for a game you didn't own and expected it to work ?!?

I thought it was pretty obvious that it wouldn't....but what surprises me more is that steam didn't warn you of this beforehand or block it at the checkout

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Well, it also says that when you buy a DLC for TSW2020 that you are required to have the base game in order to use it. So if you don't have that, it will not work of course.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JAAK

JAAK Member

Why are you buying a dlc for TSW2020 to use it for TSW2 without owning TSW2020? What's the Point? As i can assume from your text you are not willing to buy TSW2020, so why are you buying a TSW2020 dlc?

• Like Like x 3
  6. atpyatt

atpyatt Well-Known Member

Have you checked whether it shows up as an option to install in steam for tsw2? You need to right click tsw2 in steam and then if you look at the game properties one of the tabs lists all the dlc available to install. I don't think TSW dlc is automatically installed for TSW2 you have to do it manually.

7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I believe what the OP is saying is that the impression is if you buy the TSW2k version of a DLC you will get the TSW2 version of that DLC also, I did not know you needed TSW2k to receive the licenses for the preserved collection either, so maybe submit a ticket to support on this

• Like Like x 1
  8. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I thought this too. But at the same time, why is the OP buying DLC for TSW2020 when they don't have it? Why not just buy the TSW2 version?

• Like Like x 1
  9. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

He was too keen on the discount many TSW 2020 DLC have and thought he could save money,
    play it in TSW 2 without owning TSW 2020. :cool:

That's not how it works, you can only get a TSW 2 DLC copy if you also own TSW 2020.
    Then you can save money and buy TSW 2020 DLC for TSW 2.

Edit:
    Each DLC has a clear warning that the base game is required

Example.PNG

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

TSW2020 is a great deal anyway: five (four) routes for the price of one, which all WILL unlock their TSW2 ports.

SPG (also in TSW2 base bundle)
    MSB
    GWE
    NTP
    LIRR

• Like Like x 3
  11. Arrwmkr

Arrwmkr New Member

Pretty simple, Fanatical have a sale and they only have the preserved collection games. So I looked at the FAQ on here which states, 'Yes. Your purchased Add-On routes and locos from Train Sim World 2020 will be free to download and play within Train Sim World 2.' and 'Preserved Collection means that your add-ons from Train Sim World 2020 will work with Train Sim World 2.' https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/train-sim-world-2-frequently-asked-questions.25065/

12. solicitr

OHHHHHH! That is the Microsoft version, which is NOT "cross-platform" compatible with the Steam-only TSW2. I ran into that problem when I upgraded; my Microsoft Store 2020 content, including the base game, did not trigger a free Steam download because it didn't come from Steam. Same thing as if you had 2020 on PS4 and wanted TSW2 PC dowlnoads.

13. sequencer2k16

This post is from August 17th 2020, three days before TSW2 was released.
    The mentioned TSW 2020 DLC were already in our possession and that's why all TSW 2020 owners got
    or still get a free copy of their already purchased TSW 2020 DLC for TSW 2.

Your.PNG

The Preserved Collection was / is only a bonus for TSW 2020 owners to be able to keep their complete rolling stock in TSW 2 too.

The fact is, you bought a DLC but you don't own the associated basegame and your logical way would have been the TSW 2 version of the DLC or TSW 2020 Deluxe / Collectors Edition to get all the included DLC for TSW 2 too
    (With the exception of NEC and associated locos).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. solicitr

The "already in our possession" part isn't quite accurate. You could buy TS2020 today and get the whole Preserved Collection free. I know; I did.

15. sequencer2k16

I have not expressed it well enough, sorry.

Yes, I know you can buy TSW 2020 afterwards and get the TSW 2 DLC copies.
    My post was referring to August 17th 2020, at this time only ECW was available as a Preserved Collection.
    And even then you had to already own TSW 2020 and ECW for TSW 2020 to get a free TSW 2 ECW
    or buy TSW 2 & ECW for TSW 2 separately or the TSW 2 Deluxe Edition inclusive ECW for TSW 2.
    Ooor TSW 2020 and ECW for TSW 2 but this made no sense. ;)

You can turn it any way you want, without TSW 2020 itself, you are not eligible to use TSW 2020 DLC in TSW 2.

• Like Like x 3
  16. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You refer to the sale having Preserved Collection routes. Preserved Collection routes are the TSW2 versions. For TSW2020 they are just normal add-ons, and you do of course need TSW2020 to unlock them. If what you have bought are the TSW2020 versions then the FAQ for Preserved Collection don’t apply, as that’s not what they are.

If the words “Preserved Collection” appear on the add on, they are those same routes but for TSW2. If you own both TSW2020 and TSW2, any of the routes or add ons you own from TSW2020 allow you to also get the Preserved Collection TSW2 versions at no extra cost, as referred to in the FAQ.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Arrwmkr

Arrwmkr New Member

Thanks how is the new guy meant to know all this?

18. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s not easy, I’ll give you that. And that’s all after you’ve worked out that Train Simulator and Train Sim World aren’t the same software. That confused me a bit when I first started looking into getting TSW, and I’m not alone in that.

19. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Are you new to TSW or new to gaming? ...because the requirement of owning a base game before purchasing DLC for said game has been around for a long, long time.

The only exception to this is standalone DLC which is usually clearly marketed as such

• Like Like x 1
  20. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

As an example, look up count of monster disco or TS1. You get a copy of TS1 with it (though not sure if you get the routes included with the game), and the store page clearly says it's not required.