Arosa On Steam

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Ravi, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

What happened to Arosa on Steam. The release counter was ticking down and now it says its coming soon and not yet available. Has anyone else been able to download it on PC?

• Like Like x 1
  2. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

Nope. release should have been 15 minutes ago.

3. Oli R C

Oli R C Member

Give it 45 minutes.

4. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Nope nothing on my end either

5. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

6. 1tommytrouble

1tommytrouble Member

Same problem here.
    Seems like the 10% pre-order discount has just been removed and back to £25.
    However, Steam is still saying it's in the "pre-order" phase.

7. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

I guess I will wait. I was so excited to try it after watching the MegaSim stream.

• Like Like x 2
  8. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Based on what they said in the streaming, it should be out in about 30 minutes or so.

9. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

40 mins or so

10. doublefine7

This is just lame. I mean... come on. 19 GMT for a release? really? Please release DLCs earlier on steam.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Oli R C

Oli R C Member

18 GMT more likely.

12. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I'm hyped :-D

13. doublefine7

Here the release will be at 19:00 which is by far too late for a DLC release in my opinion.

But hey, consoles do have it since midnight and you totally cannot set release time to midnight on steam.

• Like Like x 2
  14. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

Maybe a patch today or the delay?

Now the exits at 7 p.m. ...
    Why not at 9 p.m. too! steam not cool.

15. mrcharliemiggins2.0

mrcharliemiggins2.0 Well-Known Member

Rivet said on stream last night, a patch is coming in April

• Like Like x 1
  16. Michael Newbury

I agree there should a universal time of release across the board for both console and PC users, I have never recalled having to wait this long for a Pre-Order to start downloading.

17. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

It releases on Steam at 1800UTC not 1700UTC.

it was said on the streams and also on other press releases.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Hmm this is strange, on Xbox it’s already out, how come it’s not on PC? Yea I also agree with those who say that there should be a universal release time for dlc, in order to avoid confusion.

• Like Like x 1
  19. WaveyDavey

Because on consoles content releases at midnight local time and on Steam it releases at 1800UTC.

I believe this is something Steam do not DTG.

• Like Like x 2
  20. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

You can release on steam in time which you want, steam is releasing stuff 24/7, its just DTG who setup that time... they can push release earlier or later... its only up to them not up to the steam. So dont blame Steam for that.

• Like Like x 4
  21. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Missed that part. Thank you. I have seen it release as soon as the discount goes away. This is a bit different.

22. Michael Newbury

That is what I thought it's all based on timers once it reaches midnight in your area it would automatically start downloading. So I cannot understand why DTG would make PC users wait so long before they can take advantage of the new release.

23. Michael Newbury

It appears to finally downloading now

• Like Like x 1
  24. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

We should be good to go now!
    Enjoy.

• Like Like x 5
  25. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Yep. The download has started. Here we go!!!!

26. ulf

ulf Member

No support for Raildriver :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  27. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

No - very disappointing. The first route not to have it since the beta launched.

• Like Like x 1
  28. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

I’m sorry to hear about the lack of raildriver support and it’s very disappointing. I’m glad the PC audience finally has the chance to try Arosa. I hope everyone that wants to enjoys it!

29. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

First impressions - Its freaking good. Yeah, the distant scenery kinda looks weird but it doesn't break away from the experience The route itself is stunning.

• Like Like x 3
  30. appledates#4945

Those pantograph sparks, small detail. Big smile on my face and I think everyone in this community has SPAD at the first tutorial step lol, so don’t feel bad if you do, and feel proud if you don’t!

• Like Like x 3
  31. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Yep. And the SPAD was spot on. Doing a descent now and its challenging as well.

32. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I knew I heard the pantograph zapping in the preview streams! That's such a nice detail then.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Oystein

Oystein Well-Known Member

Sounds are awful, just listen to this cabride on Youtube and you will understand (Jump to 21min 40sec)
    Physics are bad, I know jump-start is a TS thing but now we have the same in TSW..
    I get 15-25fps, max. All other routes runs fine at 30-40fps. So the lack of trees in the hills isn't a surprise to me.

But the biggest issue to me is the sound quality, it ruins the gameplay.

• Like Like x 2
  34. fabristunt

Just derailed on the first scenario, going 27 where the limit was 30...

• Like Like x 1
  35. HeyYoPaulie!

HeyYoPaulie! Well-Known Member

Initial impressions:
    Like: The route, loco and a different type of challenge.

Dislike: The distant scenery. The nearby scenery is decent, then there's an absolutely massive drop off in quality. I appreciate Rivet have to balance performance, but the balance has swung too far towards "near" at the expense of "far".

I hope Rivet try to find a better "near / far" environment quality balance, as it will greatly improve the overall experience.

Edit: I notice the driver cab window camera views are locked at 90 degrees facing forward, so it's not possible to look "back" along the coaches. Is that intentional?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  36. appledates#4945

Your ears were correct! It sounds really fantastic from the cab! I feel Rivet has always excelled in the smaller details which can be greatly appreciated!

37. Oystein

I did the same thing. I notice that the speed is jumping up and down in tight curves and junctions.

• Like Like x 2
  38. appledates#4945

I had to restart the first scenario multiple times due to either over speeding, running a red, or derailment at the first or second junction. My advice would be to just be extra cautious when approaching these points. I successfully completed the scenario using 50% dynamic brake and the vacuum break for the rest. I don’t know if that made a difference from my 100% dynamic brake and vacuum brake. It definitely takes some practice! I think that everyone would benefit from another tutorial focusing on the descent, as this is our first time dealing with a 6% grade with a new locomotive. It would be nice to know how to properly drive during it.
    Has a manual been released for the route yet?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  39. Oystein

That sound effect sounds awful. Listen to the cabride above, how many times do you hear that happen? I like the idea, but how they did implement it, and the sound they did chose doesn't add any realism.

• Like Like x 1
  40. appledates#4945

It sounded good to me, I don’t understand what you mean by “listen to the cab ride above, how many times did you hear that happen?” Does it happen a lot or does it happen a little? I personally think it adds to my experience.

41. Oystein

Nice to see that it adds to your experience in TSW. But I focus on realism, so I do compare what we get in TSW with real life videos and/or my own experience with trains :)

• Like Like x 1
  42. fabristunt

I am using about 15 % of vacuum brake and then use the dynamic brake between 80 and 100 to maintain speed. This time I went through the intersection at 20 km/h and didn't derail, but the bobbing of the train is awful. I fear the physics engine cannot cope with that.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

My first impressions having played for an hour and a half.

Good:
    • Loco Model
    • Station Models and Architecture in general.
    • I can recognise where I am on all parts of the route.
    • Performance - Maxed out 70fps with very few stutters.
    OK:
    • Sound. To me it sounds ok, I've been on this train a few times. Didn't listen to the whole cab ride video but the timestamp given was a fast acceleration out of Chur. It sounds completely different at slow speeds and particularly under load. So I wouldn't say it's good or bad. If you are in the front coach you can certainly here the pantograph sparks (if it's not full of people talking). Can't say about in the cab. Never driven a real one.
    • Near Scenery, it's fine but the textures are bland. Coming out of Chur there is a concrete wall and you can clearly see repeated patterns.
    Bad:
    • No Raildriver support
    • Distant scenery - It's been discussed to death, but it's bad.
    So am I happy? Mostly. I am enjoying it, it's not the wow factor I'd hoped for but it's good to finally have a Swiss Route and it's challenging to drive downhill. It's the driving that matters to me more than the scenery, so long as it's recognisable. Apart from the lack of raildriver, that has so far been good. I won't be refunding, but I'm not leaving a glowing review either. I've spent the week mostly playing on Diesel Legends and South Eastern Highspeed. I can't see myself getting as many hours from Arosa.

• Like Like x 5
  44. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Overall I'm pretty happy with Arosa. I'm just doing my first uphill service run. The main 'problems' that I notice are;

• Wheelslip when putting the train in the first notch. Locomotive seems unable to slowly apply power. This is also tricky when trying to slowly couple to a consist.
    • HUD doesn't show the throttle lever stance, which makes it tricky to operate with a keyboard. Considering it has a AFB-alike cruise control, I think it needs the same HUD treatment as the DB BR143.
    • Timetable seems to be pretty unrealistic, it doesn't seem to take into account that the locomotive usually runs a few km/h below the speed set by the throttle lever, and that a human driver isn't a robot making perfect braking curves.

But overall I'm very happy and would like to thank Jasper_Rivet and his team for bringing this route to TSW. I'm very happy to see a new country and a mountainous narrow gauge route is really unlike anything else created for TSW. Keep up the good work! :)

• Like Like x 3
  45. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Tigert1966 Thanks for providing such detailed feedback, and it's a nice mix of what you do and don't enjoy.

On the point of Raildriver, this is something we're working on implementing (we'll be looking to add more locos in future), this is currently still in beta at present which is why it is only available on a selected amount.

Please keep the feedback coming.

• Like Like x 2
  46. appledates#4945

Yes. I found the video you were pointing at in the last post, even with the video I couldn’t tell you if it’s 100% implemented that most realistic way but I respect if realism and comparing it to the real life version is important to you when purchasing a route. That being said, you must have decided not to purchase a majority of the routes for TSW as none of them are one to one with their real life counterpart, especially if you like to listen to the horn i’d say. I do respect your opinion.

47. appledates#4945

Oh good I’m glad you were able to make it through. As I really don’t have much information on driving this locomotive it’s hard to tell if its user error or a bug, but I notice sometimes when I decrease a notch (and maybe apply the vacuum brake) sometimes my amps will jump between 0 and 30 at a fast rate that makes me lunge forward and backward in the cab. I feel like the same has happened before in a different locomotive, I suppose this actually could just be wheel slip. For years I’ve been waiting for grades more challenging then the 0%-3.5% we are used to, it possibly has some to do with the 6% grade.

48. Oystein

Actually the Ge 4/4 II sound isn't the issue here. Its the running sounds from the wagons that ruins it.

• Like Like x 2
  49. WaveyDavey

I wasn’t “Blaming Steam” as you put it at all I was just under the impression that was the case but obviously not.

50. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if it's related to the US having already gone to Daylight Savings time while Britain hasn't, so DTG assumed UTC-5 instead of -4?