PlayStation Is Dpu Operation Supported In Caltrain Or Oakville

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Stockton Rails, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me if DPU operation is supported (i.e. confirmed working) in either the Caltrain or Oakville routes? I’ve got a working 4-loco MU’d consist up and running no problem in Oakville, using the Hamilton Explorer as my test bed for checking things out. Now I’m trying to get a DPU config up and running there as well, and so far have not been able to do that.

I was using only two locos in my initial DPU attempt- 1 loco (configured as lead) up front, and another (also configured as lead) halfway back in the train- with both banking radios on between them. Do I need to be running 2 MU’d pairs for DPU to work in the sim- 1 MU pair up front and another MU pair further back- with the lead units in each MU pair syncing to each other over the banking radios? Any help on all of this is appreciated... if some appropriate DTG folks can also chime-in on this, that would be great too.

2. deans.ma

deans.ma Member

I would imagine it would work, at least on the Peninsula (not too confident about Oak Sub), let me know if it works or not!

-Dean

3. Stockton Rails

Thanks for the response, Dean. I’ll keep everyone posted... I can only assume (hope), that since they already have the Banking Comm radios used with DPU operation in Oakville Sub, that distributed power operation is actually supported in this route. As to whether DTG actually got this feature up and running- I have no idea.

(DTG-Matt, DTG-Dimitri- can one of you guys please chime-in on whether DPU operation is supported in any of the TSW 2020 routes on the PS4? The banking radios for DPU ops are in place in Oakville Sub- is it supported is this route?)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  4. Stockton Rails

Well, as luck (and some hard work) would have it- I actually got my first DPU train up and running last night using the Hamilton Explorer scenario in Oakville Sub! It is verified working- have confirmed that the remote consist (1 x MU’d lead/trail pair) located mid-train throttles up and down in sync with the lead consist up front (another MU’d lead/trail pair). Note the banking radios are NOT all on... only the banking radio in the lead unit in the lead consist needs to be turned on- and we only do that once all of the other units have been properly set up (or ‘conditioned’ as they call it) for DPU operation.

Will supply the details on all of the loco configs later... want to document all of this in this thread so that we have a record of it should anyone else want to try this out. And we also now know it’s possible to do this in Oakville Sub... though unsure if DPU ops is supported in other routes where the banking radios are in place. Pretty exciting.

• Like Like x 1
  5. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Hi! I have tried to do this as well following the instructions from the manuals that include multiple units but didn’t seem to have any luck.

6. Stockton Rails

First, thanks for responding to this thread... are you having trouble with getting multiple locos, all at the front of the train (directly connected), working properly? Or are you having trouble with getting a DPU (Distributed Power Units) train up and running (with loco pairs in the middle or even rear of the train)? And which routes and engines are we talking about?

My DPU work so far has been limited to the Hamilton Explorer scenario in Oakville Sub, and I definitely have a DPU train fully up and running there (based on GP9RM and GP38-2 engines). I suspect the UP engines in the Caltrain route, and the CSX engines in the NEC route might also support DPU operation as well, since they all have Banking COMM radios in them... but that’s a guess at this point and I haven’t tested either of them yet.

7. Stockton Rails

Well, gang... here’s that info I promised you on how to get a fully functional DPU (Distributed Power Units) train configured in Oakville Sub using the GP9RM and GP38-2 locos. I built and tested this using the Hamilton Explorer in Oakville as a sort of proving ground, and the train works as it should (note I used a set of 4 tankers as a test load between the two consists).

Hope you guys try this out for yourself when you have some time, and enjoy seeing a functional DPU freight train work in TSW 2020 as much as I did... it was a little tedious, but definitely worth the effort.

Basic Procedure:
    • Configure the remote (mid-train) consist first per the settings below, leave Banking COMM turned Off in both of these locos
    • Configure the lead (front of train) consist next per the settings below... once the lead consist is configured, then turn Banking COMM On only in the lead unit of this consist
    • Verify proper operation of the remote consist: both locos should now throttle up and down in sync with the lead consist (can verify this using in-game cameras near the remote consist)
    Initial Settings:

>> Remote consist (MU’d pair, located mid-train):

Lead engine (CN GP9RM, facing forward):
    Engine Run: On
    Generator Field: On
    Control & Fuel Pump: On
    Throttle: Idle
    Reverser Handle: In (inserted)
    Reverser Setting: Neutral
    Automatic Brake: Handle Off (brakes controlled by lead consist)
    Cut-Out Valve: Cut-Out
    Independent Brake: Release
    MU-2A Valve: Lead or Dead
    Banking COMM: Off (note the ‘Radio’ circuit breaker must be On)

Trailing engine (CN GP38-2, facing backwards):
    Generator Field: Off
    Reverser Handle: Out (removed)
    Automatic Brake: Handle Off
    MU-2A Valve: Trail 6 or 26
    Banking COMM: Off

>> Lead consist (MU’d pair, located at front of train):

Lead engine (CN GP9RM, facing forward):
    Generator Field: On
    Reverser Handle: In (inserted)
    Automatic Brake: Full Service
    Cut-Out Valve: Freight
    MU-2A Valve: Lead or Dead
    Banking COMM: Off (note the ‘Radio’ circuit breaker must be On)

Trailing engine (CN GP38-2, facing backwards):
    Generator Field: Off
    Reverser Handle: Out (removed)
    Automatic Brake: Handle Off
    MU-2A Valve: Trail 6 or 26
    Banking COMM: Off

Add’l notes:

1) Suspect the locomotives participating in Banking communication must be the same type- i.e. GP9RM communicating with another GP9RM via radio, GP38-2 with a GP38-2, etc. (still trying to confirm DPU details with DTG tech support... so far no response from them on my initial note)

2) It looks like all CN locos in the Oakville Sub have Banking radios in them- as do the UP locos in the Caltrain route and CSX locos in the NEC route. Suspect working DPU trains could be built using any of the freight engines in these routes... I plan on checking this out myself in both Caltrain and NEC routes sometime soon.

3) I’m also assuming that this DPU config might work on other TSW 2020 supported platforms as well (i.e. PC and Xbox)... will try posting a note in those forums to see if someone can try out my DPU config in their Oakville, Caltrain or NEC routes.

8. RGoodellSr

RGoodellSr Member

I'm running the CN GP38-2 on Oakville. This is going to sound stupid, but isn't the banking radio supposed to indicate that it's even turned on? Radio fuse is on, banking comm is on, but the radio looks dead and I don't think anyone is home? Is it just me, do I just not know how to turn the radio on?

9. Stockton Rails

If you hover the pointer over the DISP (i.e. Dispatcher) button on the radio, the pop-up should indicate that Banking Comm is on. That’s the extent of the radio indicating that banking communication has been enabled... not a stupid question at all.

• Like Like x 1