Would You Buy A High Fidelity Train For Tsw For A Higher Price?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by breblimator, Apr 11, 2021.

?
  1. YES

57 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. NO

28 vote(s)
    31.5%
  3. Let me think...

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The sphere of my dreams :D

DTG locomotive models are of very high quality, but I would like to consider a very optimistic variant - fully interactive & mostly simulated locomotive (or train - loco & dedicated cars **) for TSW.
    These types of add-ons can be found in Train Simulator. Theoretical criteria:

- full documentation
    - expected fps decrease
    - all switches are interactive
    - layers or / & scenarios included
    - prototypical cold start possibilities
    - high quality, authentic audio samples
    - some extras, eg high-quality photographies
    - enhanced physics (** eg couplers endurance)
    - adequate price, route DLC level, or even higher
    - extra modeling (eg engine room, for cold start purposes)
    - most systems simulated (these ones important for driving)

My answer is YES. BR o7

• Like Like x 9
  2. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I would answer yes except DTG have clearly stated that increasing prices would not change the quality of the final product.

• Like Like x 8
  3. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

Depends on the train, there's really not a 'one size fits all' solution as every piece of stock differs in complexity. Much of what would make something more complex in my eyes would also only ever be used in fault conditions, which of course aren't simulated at present. TSW in many cases already has most of the important systems simulated for standard driving, although it does miss out on items like train data entry at the beginning of a service or such. There is room to improve, but not enough to double the present cost of a DLC imo.

• Like Like x 4
  4. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

The main three areas of focus of trains in TSW for me are:

- Accurate sounds
    - Accurate physics
    - High, detailed textures

If it requires the price to be raised in order to achieve it, then I’d vote YES. I’d happily pay a bit more in order to get something of a bit more quality and accurate, as well as sounding better.

• Like Like x 5
  5. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I already did in TS with the CP AC4400. It was easily worth the price and I rarely want to drive anything else in TS. If this did come to TSW, it would even more attractive if it could be subbed into other services and routes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

My answer is no. Rasing prices wouldn't mean an improved product as dtg have said it wouldn't mean an improved product

• Like Like x 3
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The question is: Would You Buy A High Fidelity Train For Tsw For A Higher Price?

1. Already improved one :)
    2. Not necessarily from DTG!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

That‘s exactly what I would say. Perhaps you saw a thread created some months ago, breblimator, which basically asked your question but for routes. Sam, Natster or someone else from DTG got involved and said that an increase in price would not mean an increase in quality.

I would be willing to pay more for a really good model, especially if it had a completely modelled and interactive engine room as I really like realistic cold starts etc., but as you say
    it won‘t happen with DTG‘s current business model. If that were to change, then yes - I would pay more for a higher quality loco.

• Like Like x 1
  9. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

There's no reason other companies couldn't produce higher quality loco content for a higher price, though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

:) This scenario.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tallboy7648

I don't think dtg would even make a higher fidelity train. I think dtg already considers their trains high fidelity. What seems to be asked is the ability to click more buttons and more scenarios along with improvements to coupling systems. The trains in tsw2 are very well modeled and I go as far to say that they are modelled accurately.
    You can also look for documents of the train that you are using online so my answer is no

• Like Like x 2
  12. tallboy7648

Yes but I'm going off what was said by dtg. Higher prices doesn't mean quality will be improved and not everyone is willing to pay extra just to click some more buttons

• Like Like x 1
  13. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Something like CP AC 4400 for TS. Non-DTG high fidelity train.
    Let's suppose it will be :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

To be fair most of your list contains items that TSW is supposed to provide already...most systems, switches, good audio etc and so on what exactly do you want that isn't currently supposed to be provided?

If you are saying you want the same but better then really I'm not sure what you want. There isnt really anything extra here for additional money. I suppose enhancement pack style content is the idea here but I can't see that happening as it seems that DTG can't even do anything with Rivet content or vice versa so the idea that one company makes base versions and then someone else comes along and improves it seems to be a dead end in TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  15. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Something like this one - link

MERGE

What do I want - in the survey description. The question is, would you be able to pay? Would you like to?

Rather, it is not about disputes, but about market research. My personal opinion is that there is no company that can cope with this task (UEngine), and DTG, as you rightly noticed, has no such intention.

I am driven by simple curiosity :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2021
  16. tallboy7648

Well if that's the case then it's a maybe for me. $20 for a train is fine for me but something like $30 or $40 is too much in my opinion. How would you even justify the price increase. Clicking extra buttons and some slight improvents to some may not justify a price increase

• Like Like x 1
  17. breblimator

breblimator Guest

There are a whole lot of reasons why they don't want to complicate their portfolio more, and they even once asked a similar question in a survey (or maybe it was just a regular discussion) - it was about improvements to existing products and in this context, they replied (as you noticed) that 'add-ons to add-ons' are not an option. Then I got the impression that the question was asked incorrectly. Honestly - I do not count on such a development. But I dream someone (TSG?) is considering such a scenario in the future!

Thanks for your feedback! :)

18. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Hopefully they never do this, as we'll end up in the bad state that Train Simulator is in where there is no consistency and companies can charge ridiculous prices for single trains. Please, never let TSW become like Train Simulator...
    capture33.JPG
    :mad: It may be good, but £30 is still ridiculous.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  19. tallboy7648

Yeh i don't want to pay $35 for a train.

• Like Like x 1
  20. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This is basically the question - is this price appropriate? The product is purely theoretical. Thanks!

21. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I voted "Yes", but with the caveat we are not talking PMDG £100+ type prices for an add on and a few liveries. If the current price of a loco/trainset add on is £11.99 then I might go to £19.99 for a higher fidelity model - just as I would probably pay £34.99 rather than £24.99 for a longer route, if it interested me of course.

• Like Like x 1
  22. tallboy7648

I see where you get the idea but I feel like dtg is slowy getting better in making trains like the class 465 for example. I think dtg can improve trains over time at the standard price

• Like Like x 3
  23. ralphy_porter2000

ralphy_porter2000 Active Member

I equate this and the concept of Hi-fi/longer routes/locos to building a small extension for your home i.e. you really cant add significant value to the property when you take it to market, BUT it WILL make your sale more attractive than the alternatives.
    I know some people will choose to read this as I want better but am not willing to reward the efforts of the artist, but the pricing structure is about right as is BUT that is only true if you follow DTG candor that there is room for improvement.
    It has been mentioned that getting the new products closer to what they should be on release day is a bigger priority so adding extra features is counterproductive to that effort.
    IMHO product turnaround time is also long enough atm for both the punter and DTG, not to mention, do DTG want a 2 tier system? The fact that we have preservation crew bringing older releases up to new release expectation level tells me there will be no 2 tier system, aside from the creative logistics of hifi route or loco it would cause confusion re expectations and DTG seem to be making a lot of effort to avoid this.

• Like Like x 1
  24. DK12345

DK12345 Active Member

No. I am already satisfied with the products (as long as they work) and would not pay any more for a locomotive. As it is, I already wait for significant discounts to be applied before buying routes and locos I want. Putting the price up would put me off completely.

• Like Like x 3
  25. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

Sim Rail 2021 will have those features as they will focusing on a advanced train sinulation, so no, personally i woudn't "pay more" for those features. DTG already charges a lot for their reused and rushed products.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I mean, on one hand Searchlight Simulations CP AC4400CW is one of the best loco DLCs for TS and even outdoes DTGs CSX AC4400CW on TSW2 in just about everything. (From sounds to physics)
    header (1).jpg

On the other hand, we have the TGV Reseau from DTG, which is still broken......

And if you want to know how bad it is, just read thru the live article discussion here: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/ts19-réseau-renaissance.14205/
    header.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  27. tallboy7648

I rather buy sim rail 21 personally than pay extra for a dlc loco in tsw2

• Like Like x 1
  28. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Oh no! Forgot about SimRail this year... :( :)

• Like Like x 1
  29. tallboy7648

I'm excited about that game. It might give you the high fidelity trains you are looking for

• Like Like x 2
  30. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

In the TSW world, I need to be simple.
    Better optimization
    Longer railway line
    Better real world
    Better sound of train sound

• Like Like x 3
  31. tallboy7648

Indeed

32. helderbrincolas

Same

• Like Like x 1
  33. helderbrincolas

I will be comparing side by side the 185.2 and 185.5 from TSW to the E186 from Sim Rail, those trains are from the traxx family, so i will see what detail and functions does Sim Rail make compared to DTG

• Like Like x 2
  34. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

depends on the train

• Like Like x 1
  35. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I would be willing to pay a little extra if it meant more detail.

HOWEVER, if this is done via third party. It should all be sold through steam and should work with the base content. Using TS as an example, you can buy third party packs and install them only to find you need to purchase 20+ other packs for the included scenarios to work as intended. I'm not paying £100+ to play AP's Class 37 scenarios when they should be fully playable when you purchase the Class 37 pack alone. Anyone who buys just that pack are isolated to quick drive unless they can work out the antique scenario designer.

I don't think it's wrong that third party content should have to go through DTG, it prevents the above practice.

• Like Like x 2
  36. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

Not in terms of physics. Everything is relative of course, so compared to more arcade style games the physics is well modelled but in absolute terms not so much. You can check my post history where I have reported several criticisms of the physics on multiple different trains in different regions.

• Like Like x 1
  37. tallboy7648

Physics probably could be improved