Spg Ac4400 Dynamic Brakes Setup

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by Hiro Protagonist, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

So I've almost completed the SPG journey and am fully versed with getting the locos properly set up for both multiple-working and distributed power, but one setting still confounds me.

On the AC4400CW control panel, to the right of the Control/Gen-Field/Engine Run switches, there is a Dynamic Brakes switch. I assume if this switch is turned off in the lead loco this will disable dynamic brakes, but how should it be set in trailing/distributed units? Should dynamics only ever be applied in the lead loco, or only the lead/trail pair, or all locos in the consist? Does this switch actually do anything in trailing locos?

2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

3. Hiro Protagonist

I've never seen the Dynamic Brake switch mentioned in any of the MU/DP setup guides (I don't believe there is an equivalent switch in the GP38 or SD40 either, just the AC44). All well and good if the default setting of ON is correct for all locos (regardless of lead/trail) in the consist, but we all know that on occasion the default setup is just plain wrong (lead loco still set on Trail/Cut-Out etc) so I wouldn't mind understanding the mechanics behind it so I can add it to the mental checklist when setting MU/DP up.

4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

That's why I pasted these instructions for you :)

PS Dynamic brakes (US locos) are sometimes buged on PC. This is not about settings. Maybe that's where your doubts come from.

5. Hiro Protagonist

As I said, as with all the other guides I have read those instructions don't make any mention of the Dynamic Brake switch settings, which is the whole point of this thread. I have no problems with getting all the locos set up for MU/DP from a power and air-brake perspective, I am just curious about the effect of one setting which is never mentioned.

The dynamics are working, I am just curious as to whether they are working to their full potential (ie are all locos providing assistance, or just the lead, and is this the intended method of operation or not)

6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This is easy to check by changing cabins and watching the gauges (AMPs).

PS Custom power settings for trailing locos - check attached file
    lead / trail 'dead in tow' / trail no power full brakes / trail power and full brakes

The default settings that I presented to you in the form of instructions cause all locomotives to brake dynamically, unless there is a BUG (full power, full brakes, full dynamics). BR o7

** a BUG link **

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2021
  7. Hiro Protagonist

So it is safe to assume that the Dynamic Brake switch is therefore irrelevant in all locos apart from the lead? In the middle of a scenario now and it seems that there is no change in braking effort when flipped ON or OFF in the trail loco, whereas in the lead flipping it OFF stops all dynamic braking effort regardless of the setting in the trail unit.

Yet to try out what would happen in a DP setup, whether the slaved lead at the back of the consist also needs to have this switch flipped ON (since it is normally set up like the master lead with all other braking settings) or is it sufficient just having the master lead ON?

8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I don't know if it can be selectively turned off in-game (DB, modeled / simulated fuses). Default settings - each locomotive should brake. But that doesn't seem to work quite well on PC right now (I pasted you link to the related thread - one of several). The best method is to check your gauges while driving. Use the key combination [Ctrl] [-] / [Ctrl] [+]

If you are interested in theory - ES44 is basically AC44 when it comes to configuration philosophy. How much of it is in the game is another matter. This is a really interesting read. You will also find answers to your questions there :) (theoretical answers)

Attached Files:

9. Hiro Protagonist

And there it is (for MU at least). Also means that the in-game default setting (ON) for the trail is technically wrong but probably has no effect.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Some additional thoughts about DB link
    enjoy :)

11. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Or rather, is this why the in-game AC4400's dynamic brakes are notoriously wonky? Maybe the trailing loco's switch should be off but isn't and that does have an in-game effect (like leaving a trail unit's generator field switch on). This warrants experimentation.

12. RestrictedProceed

RestrictedProceed New Member

All my experiments so far showed that all units will develop braking effort when breaker on lead unit is ON regardless of its position in trailing locos, just like Hiro Protagonist said. Most of the breakers in game work wrong; both Engine Run and Control should be OFF on trailing units, but they are defaulted to ON and still the locos somehow communicate and work correctly.

13. solicitr

Acc. to standard procedure, Engine Run and Fuel Pump control should be off, yes: but they only come into play if you want to do a remote engine shutdown, which I don't believe ever happens in-game. Gen Field is the key one for making the motors go.

They develop braking effort, yes- but are they doing so correctly? The issue with the 4400 has never been that the DB don't work at all, but that they work weirdly.

14. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Full Power & Full Brakes & Full DB is OK. Custom configurations - another story.

15. RestrictedProceed

Doesn't the Engine Run control the speed of all engines on the line? I suppose having it ON on two locomotives at the same time would cause quite a confusion in your consist. I mean, one units tell you to go to full rpm while another one requests staying in idle.
    Engine shut-down is another thing that seems wrong in-game. Stop button shuts-down all of your engines, while it should only stop the local one. MU shut-down switch on C40-8 works correctly, but cannot be used on AC44.

16. breblimator

breblimator Guest

IRL
    BR o7

In TSW every MU DPU group is considered as a separate train ** - every lead MU loco has to be set as ON.

** or some virtual helper MU

17. solicitr

The Engine Run switch is the engine on/off control switch, only. If the Stop button were modeled correctly, it would only shut down the lead engine unless the Engine Run switches in the trails were set to off. The Gen Field switch actually enables the throttle to control engine rpm, because the engines are cued to generator output not the other way round. (Try increasing throttle with Gen Field off in the lead cab- nothing happens).

18. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Another IRL story for you guys :)
    The point is: TSW does not model DPU in any way but only MU - and MU is modeled quite correctly!
    Don't fight gravity \o/

19. RestrictedProceed

As the operator manuals quoted by breblimator state, it is Engine Run switch that enables you to control engine rpm, while Generator Field switch enables you to generate tractive power. With Gen Field OFF, your traction alternator has no excitation and therefore is not able to generate electricity. But leaving your Engine Run ON at the same time still allows you to increase engine rpm by moving throttle into higher notches. This is useful for example when pumping up air with your compressor requiring higher engine speed. You can actually do that in-game as well, increasing throttle with Gen Field OFF will rev-up your engine.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. breblimator

breblimator Guest

You put it perfectly.

The locomotive has a diesel engine and electric 'traction motors' driving the wheels. Generator Field switch is to separate diesel power from traction motors eg to secure the train while switching (3 step protection)

PS
    I've always wondered if that's how it works in TSW, but probably not. I always do it anyway :D

• Like Like x 1
  21. solicitr

Really? Try it. I promise you, your engines will not budge from idle with Gen Field off.

22. solicitr

Specifically what it does is kill the power to the coil which creates the generator's standing field. With that neutralized, the generator produces no current for the motors.

23. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Just tried it, engine revved up a treat. No amps of course, but the engine got real fast.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. breblimator

breblimator Guest

They will do. I do it all the time :) solicitr, I don't think you had breakfast today, hehe :)
    PS Obviously, no amps, no tractive effort, since Gen Field is OFF. This is how it is supposed to work. The train is to be immobilized.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Hiro Protagonist

Yep, always been able to rev the engine with Gen Field off, was often the last thing that I'd forget to turn on and be sitting there wondering why I wasn't moving despite reverser/throttle/brake settings

• Like Like x 1
  26. subdriver

subdriver New Member

I just found out that on powering america 2, my train was keeping derailing even at speed limit with dynamic braking set at 4 and always had train out of control if automatic brake wasn't set at almost full... so i decide to stop the train in full application, then walk the train back to the dpu, i found that she was actually set reverser at reverse with throttle set at 4, dpu switch was still on, wich make her useless in the braking power count ( ac4400cw have 2500 tons dynamic braking capacity in real life ) so if she wasn't helping i was short on braking power by tonnage, now i am cruising downhill with no automatic brake and dynamic set at 3, keeping train under control. Train weigh is 6997 tons and according to what i said above i should be able to hold up to 7500 tons relying on dynamic only... look's like it works so far

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. Spikee1975

Spikee1975 Well-Known Member

This question cannot be answered easily. It really depends on your consist if you need to disable some dynamics.

But for TSW, you shouldn't worry and have all locos use the dynamics. I only disable them on Horseshoe Curve as they are extremely overpowered, so I cut them out in the trailing locos to be able to keep my speed constant downhill without having to permanently turn them on and off.

• Helpful Helpful x 1