PlayStation Getting More Annoyed With Rivet Games

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SBos, Apr 18, 2021.

1. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

Just found this post on Rivets forum. Unbelievably the incorrect timetable is not included in this forthcoming update. Quite honestly it’s an absolute disgrace. You purchase a route where it is impossible to run to time because the timetable is completely wrong. You wait a month for an update to discover the timetable hasn’t been done and just told it would be in another update but not told when. There is no excuse whatsoever for this and the timetable should have been correct at launch and not for them to be told about it by somebody who posted the actual timetable without difficulty. What did they do just make the times up?

Hi folks! Especially after releasing a new route, we're keen to hear your feedback - this helps us fix issues with the most recent launch, but also helps shape future plans too. With Arosa, it became clear that it was a little too punishing with derailments if the brakes weren't used in the way they are in real life. We've since updated the physics of the train to make it more forgiving, and that fix was just released on all platforms. So the derailments are now history!

But we're continuing our polishing on Arosa. This is what we're fixing in the upcoming update (please note, that we'll publish proper patch notes with the update itself, this is just to give you an idea of what we're looking at):
    • User is now able to complete custom scenario from Peist Station to Arosa
    • AI now runs the loco RhB GE 4/4 with Pantograph up after the user gives up the controls to AI
    • AI locomotive now operates with Headlight and passenger cabin lighting on
    • [Timber Log Delivery] If player takes too long to reach the final coupling task, they will be required to wait for train to pass - fixed.
    • Trains now have lights on in the carriages during the night.
    • Throttle Notches do not work
    • Decals are now visible when choosing left and right side for the locomotive Rhb Ge 4/4 II in the livery editor
    • Removed rocks from persistent level so they disappear when the tile is not drawn.
    • Changed headout angle to be 180 degrees so you can look backwards.
    • Driver Camera now changes height when seat height is changed
    • Rail Driver Setup has been added

• Like Like x 4
  2. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

This is one thing I have noticed since coming to TSW2 only a short while ago is the fact DTG and Riviet are constantly developing these routes on the hoof as it were. Whilst I’m glad they seek to put faults right in updates it strikes me these routes are just being put on sale totally underdeveloped in the first place which tbh I find pretty shoddy considering the purchase price of these add ons at full price. Wouldn’t it be better to do these routes totally properly in the first place even if it meant we were to wait longer in order to buy them?

• Like Like x 5
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s not a unique problem to Rivet. The Diesel Legends pack for GWE included a layer for The Class 31 running limited stop services, which had no stopping times and ridiculous pathing for the services heading to Paddington. An update added stopping times but left the pathing the same. You could certainly argue that the paths should have been fixed in the update and that they shouldn’t have been wrong in the first place. The only difference is that the Class 31 layer isn’t the main event on that DLC, whereas the Arosalinie it is the only event. [EDIT - the Class 31 pathing has been fixed, I was mistaken. Apologies to Matt and the gang]

The Arosalinie times are so far away from reality or what is possible to achieve it does make you wonder how on earth they arrived at those times in the first place. The only thing you can do now is ignore the times on the timetable and play it for the enjoyment of driving. It certainly takes away part of what is good about the timetable mode, which is the satisfaction of being on time at each station. That’s an important part of TSW. They’ve also been debunked on their insistence that the players were driving incorrectly when it was their physics model that was wrong and that was by Matt on a thread here. Them sticking to their story after the fix is just plain wrong, bordering on dishonest. I want them to keep making DLC for TSW and it’s not a good sign that important parts of what TSW is aren’t given the attention they deserve, and at release as well.

I do think they made the right choice of maximising smooth gameplay over better distant scenery though. That was an unpopular decision, and I wasn’t convinced it was necessary, but the route does run very well on PS4 and the distant scenery isn’t a massive loss to what the route is about. There are parts where the distant scenery still looks fairly good and I just find myself ignoring the less optimal bits. That’s my personal opinion of something they got right but for others it is another thing they got wrong to add to the other issues.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
  4. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

I'll check in to the 31 pathing - I was under the impression that had been fixed, so if it hasn't, i'll try and get that back on someones plate :)

• Like Like x 8
  5. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Interesting to see missing headlights on AI trains, wasn't this an issue with IoW as well that needed fixing in post release patch?
    It's things like this that are so easy to check and test before release

• Like Like x 2
  6. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Tbh I’ve lost all confidence in the Rivett and their community team .tHey makes excuses up for everything and never really answers our questions- more of a hide it under the carpet team . And that isn’t the only part, Rivett are terrible with their bugs, they’re too scared to ask dtg for help with iOw and whenever somebody posts a bug some staff member acknowledges it and then hides it under the carpet.

Oh well, nvm.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I still find the timetable challenging in IoW unless I use Forward 2, which Rivet said is discouraged in reality given the clapped out condition of the trains.

• Like Like x 1
  8. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

I do find it interesting that there seems to be less proper testing by either company (Maybe they should ask this community to test). Bugs that really should have been tested and fixed, than seemingly a Module put out for sale, just to meet some Marketing figure or date.

I have to say this approach, from working professionally within a large organisation, can only damage the name of the software companies and the experience staff had (Customers in this case). 10 years later the software we use still has people thinking it is still useless and bug ridden and a huge groan every time a fix is put out. The focus really should be on producing (as far as possible) a working correctly game, not on a date that someone within either organisation sets in stone. Normally in my experience was out side what is really possible.

Though this is not a new strategy by these companies it is just the downward spiral that is now deemed to be acceptable.

I will not be buying anymore modules for TSW2 until people start reporting. The only way attitudes at higher levels than the programmers and people at the coal face, is to not buy them, hitting them in their pockets and bonuses (if they are paid them).

Do it right once and put out a fully polished (as far as anything can be) program. User Acceptance Testing (UAT) not tested by the programmers who without thinking can easily miss something.

• Like Like x 4
  9. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

They have said a timetable update is coming after this next update so at least they are working on it.

Should it have worked first time? Yes.

Am I glad they are at least putting in the effort after to fix it? Yes

• Like Like x 3
  10. guardupfront

guardupfront Active Member

Wasn’t there already a thread for this?

but yeah, I echo the above comment

11. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Heck some preserved collection routes like lirr that have clear as day bugs is still up for sale at full price

12. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

They already do. After we’ve bought it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

Isn't that a logical management decision? Why bother fixing something that will only be dectected by very few gamers? <irony off> XD

• Like Like x 1
  14. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/rivet-games-the-final-straw.38931/

15. kingus.uk

kingus.uk Active Member

Needs fixing in IOW, as it still doesn't work. Neither do passenger lights. Its a shame, because I really like the route, but there are too many bugs (all well documented , so I won't list them again) and Rivet just aren't interested in fixing them.

• Like Like x 3