Lots Of Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by kosti.nuuja, Apr 9, 2021.

1. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

DTG. I was really not happy when I wrote this topic, but I wrote this topic, because I have noticed some several issues, that should be fixed, if you want to keep TS alive. Stability. There are no other words to describe it. It's ridiculous. TS20xx is very unstable game. It has crashed many times, when it was rendering route. It feels like that there is a time limit for gameplay. Crashes during gameplay should be taken seriously. The next major issue is bugs. There are bugs, which may have a big impact into gameplay. Sometimes sun is located at horizon when it's noon. And train door's are not always closing, although they should, so that's why you can't drive the scenario. I might be only, who has these issues, but they are so big, that I decade to write this topic and tell about them. I have spent a lot of money to this simulator, so if this simulator gets unplayable, all that money has been thrown into thrash can.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

3. Robbo13

Robbo13 Active Member

Verify game files is a last resort, any third party addons will need to be reinstalled if you do that. There are other ways before you decide to verify game files.

4. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

The OP talks about TS not being stable – I disagree with that it is an extremely stable platform. It is when you start fiddling with it, modifying/adding things is when it can go wrong.

To see if you have a stable version –
    Open Steam and Run any DTG Route and any DTG Scenario (preferably standard – career scenarios have timings when not met may end the scenario) for about 10 – 15 minutes.
    Press Esc and mimimise the window. Do NOT close Steam or TS.
    Complete any computing tasks but do NOT close steam or TS or your computer.
    Leave the computer on overnight.
    The next day, maximise TS – Press "CONTINUE" and that scenario should continue running normally.
    That is how stable this base platform is.
    If it does you have a stable install.

I totally agree - Verifying the game Files should be the last option you try, there are so many things that it cannot fix (see my post somewhere on here), including any 3rd party add-ons or your own edits.
    pH

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The OP was complaining in another thread about the Doors not closing on the trains he is running
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/doors-wont-close.38551/
    So what do you suggest?

6. Robbo13

Robbo13 Active Member

Maybe try reinstalling the last thing they downloaded. Though if this has been going on for a while then it could be an older product that is causing the problem.

Verifying game files will be mean any third party- AP, Just Trains will be overwritten and revert back to how steam recognizes it. When it says files are missing they might not actually be missing, but because of any EPs you have, it will revert to its original state.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that any third party add-on that modifies Steam install files will be put back to default but any third party add-ons that are independent of the default game, like a JT route or a DT loco would not be affected.
    Is that wrong?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Robbo13

Robbo13 Active Member

No, I believe anything such as routes and locos purchased through third party are safe. It comes down to if there is any modifications of the files- so where an AP sound pack modifies the original DTG sounds, then it will be deleted as Steam does not recognize it.

I only found out it's best not to verify game files a couple of years back. When I used to verify game files I never had any issues with routes and locos. Some say that if you verify game files you might has well do a full reinstall! :D

9. Peter Hayes

D33
    I believe that would only apply to pre .ap files ie pre 2014. AP sound packs do not, as far as I know, do NOT modify an .ap file so they should be left untouched by a game verification. GFV only reacquires files - there doesn't appear to be a delete function built into it.
    pH

P749
    try to find out what is going on first?
    What is the exact issue?
    Is it a Windows or TS issue? and so on
    but possibly inevitable in the end.
    pH[/quote][/quote]

10. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

I was thinking, that would TS work better, if it's installed into same hard disk where windows is installed?

11. Peter Hayes

k.n
    Not necessarily. If TS is installed on the system drive ie where windows is installed - it is subject to more stringent security checks that can sometimes slow a game down. Its probably a theoretical point, but I find that TS runs much smoother on its own hard drive. SSD if possible.
    pH

12. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

With hard disk drives, the received wisdom is to have Windows and programs on separate drives for speed. Wonder if it makes a difference with SSDs?

13. Peter Hayes

I
    Probably not wrt SSD's or nowadays on a spinner HDD under Windows 10.
    Since MS introduced UAC - I have always installed software like TS, ETS2, FSX etc on a separate hard drive (to the system drive) - nowadays a SSD.
    The theory is/was that if you install software outside the ProgramFiles or the ProgramFiles(x86) folder you bypass a lot of Windows security settings which may or may not affect the performance of TS. Probably not so today!
    As I say, its a habit with me nowadays, possibly coloured by the fact that I attended a meeting with MS - way back in the day - (I was representing a large pharmaceutical company) when MS discussed introducing UAC (then mainly a security app to protect large Network Drives in large companies, ie to stop employees for altering the system settings or adding their own private software apps). At that time, there were some concerns that software installed in the ProgramFiles or the ProgramFiles(x86) folder could be affected performance wise or indeed stop (not crash). But that was in the 95/Vista days and with Windows 10 things have moved on, but old habits die hard.
    However installing TS on the system drive (IMO) will not increase its performance, but probably won't affect it either.

pH

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  14. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

Just a note - many gaming or simulation apps have a recommendation not to install in the program folders for the very reason that the app may have scripting that is interfered with by Windows system routines, including UAC, giving unpredictable performance issues. The problems still occur when users ignore the recommendation - the hard drive partition is more or less irrelevant.

15. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

Having had a pleasant trouble free 6 months with Train Simulator, please count me in to the people that are suddenly experiencing major problems with Train Simulator not working because of Out of Memory crashes.

Having spent the weekend going through fixes listed on this and Steam forums, I am still getting Out of Memory crashes virtually every time the games loads.

I'm sure Something is definitely broke in the game after the latest Windows/MS update?

Or perhaps when the quick load update has been applied to the game?

16. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Or is it because you've got ever more DLC from third parties, subscribed to Workshop items, etc?

17. Peter Hayes

WCR
    Where exactly does it crash? Look at the lower left corner as it loads and you should see messages about the scenario database. Does it crash there?
    Is this in 32 or 64 bit versions or both?
    Can you get to the "DRIVE" menu?
    Can you get to the main menus, QD, Career, Standard, FR etc?
    Have you installed any workshop scenarios lately and even unsubscribed from them?
    Windows 10 - in the search box on the taskbar - type in "View Reliability History" - any error message at the time of the crash - please include the technical details.
    pH