Wishlist For Scenario Planner Version 2 In Tsw2

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by paul.pavlinovich, Feb 26, 2021.

1. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Since there has been talk on streams about starting to think about what version 2 of scenario planner should be able to do in TSW2 I thought I would put together a bit of a wish list of things that could be done without having access to a route editor. These are in (my) priority order of things I would like to see.

• Put trains anywhere on the tracks even if they can’t be driven

• Scenic value for player - a feeling of an operating railway - immersion
    • Start in platforms

• Passenger services
    • Start anywhere on driveable track

• for Setting up taking over of services -and-

• Setting up for relief trains -and-

• Scenic value for player
    • Start in sidings for freight services and depot starts

• Light engine moves

• Time based starts for setting up a time table and non player services

• Trigger based starts

• Set up things that happen when a train (player or AI) reaches a point - e.g. setting up a cross on single line running - train A sits there until train B arrives then train A departs on the track train B arrived on
    • Rule based starts e.g. check all cars are loaded/unloaded

• Couple/Uncouple anywhere

• Allow building of a train - this would get used for all kinds of other services - its an enabler

• Build long distance services that set out and pick up large cuts of cars

• Build local services where a freight or mixed travels from point A to point B and back to point A picking up and setting out cars on the way

• Adding additional locomotives for banking - i.e. player arrives at a place and has to go and start and add another locomotive to the consist to bank it through the next section then surrender it after the climb and then AI drives it back

• Being able to get past red signals deliberately to allow for relief trains to collect disabled trains in section

• Fueling so player prepares locomotives before a run or before stabling at the end of the day

• Turntable

• Switch lists - Player gets a car list in a yard and they have to find them and get them into their train before they leave - this implies cars are individually labelled and there is a way to see those labels so this is probably too hard for now as it needs game changes not just scenario planner

• Being able to set the lay of points/switch to default a yard

• Forcing the player to follow a path I want not what the dispatcher wants - and -

• To avoid it being annoying for the player - and -

• Shunting puzzles in yards
    • Tasks e.g. Loading/Unloading (commodities and LCL)

• Adding tasks for LCL (less than car load) freight to mixed trains e.g. picking up small freight on interurban and urban services e.g. picking up milk cans in the 50s, picking up parcels from passenger stations

• Being able to pass trains that are too long for sidings - Short train goes into siding, longer train goes around

• Ability to build a working timetable for multiple days where you can work your way through it as a career for interesting challenges over time

• Like Like x 18
  2. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

It's quite simple. We need the same flexibility and operational possibilities as we would expect from a sophisticated model railway layout. They don't have sidings to which entry is forbidden. They don't have loops that can't be used. They don't impose arbitrary limits on train length. They don't have fixed formations. Any locomotive can haul any train and a train can consist of any combination of suitable rolling stock and can take any route to it's destination. Locomotives can run round their train ready for the return run and shunt stock as desired. Until these things are achieved, real railway operation isn't possible in TSW2. Let's hope these things are being addressed.

• Like Like x 6
  3. ScottN

ScottN Active Member

How about not having length restrictions for it since in service mode you can run them easily? The formations for some of the packs are too long but are the same trains that are in scenarios and services.

• Like Like x 2
  4. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

I feel like this should be Advanced Mode for the scenario planner. more of a timetable editor and since we are getting a new multiple timetable system with Diesel Legends that would be perfect for this kinda thing

• Like Like x 2
  5. paul.pavlinovich

This is true. A simple mode so that people don't get buried in complexity when they try to build and an advanced mode for people who want to get their hands dirty. Good idea.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  6. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

A consist editor/creator would be a good addition to the scenario planner.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I would love custom formations in scenario planner

• Like Like x 4
  8. paul.pavlinovich

Absolutely yes, a consist editor would be very important... a question ethics wise davejc64 saltychipz#3569 should I edit the original post to include this idea (with a credit nod to you on the same line) or leave DTG to this and hope they read the entire list?

• Like Like x 1
  9. hasse#8149

hasse#8149 Member

Agree with all above. We want a digital model railway where we can do what we want. the musts for v2 is returning runs, AI trains run even if im not the first service. ability to start/end scenario in depot, being able to explore scenarios on foot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ffabio89

ffabio89 Active Member

It's also likely know when DTG would give us the V2 of this "editor"....

11. paul.pavlinovich

It won't be for a while I suspect. There is a core update coming, Rush Hour, at least three new routes and the test team is buried with new and preserved collection stuff to test. I think they're a little swamped. I would kind of expect to see Steam before we see anything around a second version of this. As Sam is forever saying... if its not on the Roadmap :)

12. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

When you can do what you can in TS1 with it, that is when I start taking notice of the scenario planner.

Ultimately I would love to be able to make service mode timetables but I suspect that will either be never or several years in the future.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. DavidY

DavidY New Member

I think I would like the ability to save and load scenarios, but what would be really nice is if the save/load files were in an easily-readable/ easily-edited format.

So for instance a text-file based format like an XML file, which might be possible to create from Excel or some other tool (thus making it easier to put together a big timetable).

• Like Like x 1
  14. paul.pavlinovich

All for an exportable format but I think these days I'd go for JSON rather than XML :), but yes in essence a good idea. Building up a bulk time table is going to be much easier in a tool like Excel where we can easily duplicate and alter timings for trains and could even graph them to make sure they don't conflict.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  15. dedh98mosqueto

dedh98mosqueto Active Member

I love the local services idea. I see no trouble in that

• Like Like x 1
  16. DavidY

DavidY New Member

Have to admit I've never really done much with JSON but yes it would do the job for the sort of thing I had in mind.
    And they're both files you can open in a text editor to see what's going on.
    It's not like you upload images or other complex file formats to create a scenario, so it feels like something which could all be represented in a text-based format fairly easily.
    Yes! That was my thinking. Other tools could do the job too, of course, but I suspect I'd probably reach for Excel.

• Like Like x 1
  17. paul.pavlinovich

Spreadsheets are really cool for this sort of data.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  18. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Personally I think the most needed feature for scenarios is a workshop-alike environment to easily share them across all platforms.

I personally don't think it's worth the time investment to create a scenario when nobody but me can enjoy it. I made several scenarios for good old Train Simulator and I got quite some enjoyment and satisfaction out of all the positive comments and ratings I received through the workshop.

All of the other suggested features are nice, I admit, but pretty pointless to me without any easy-to-use sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mrcoolface110

Mrcoolface110 New Member

I dunno if is been said but it would be nice to do more than a point A to point B scenario.

Example would be go from Reading to Paddington then take the train out of services.

20. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

Just so you know, it is frowned upon to bump in this forum (Posting on a 'dead' thread, in this case before you posted the last post was almost a year ago)