Is Cathcart Worth It?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by kenobi#1878, Jun 15, 2021.

1. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

I’m going to cut straight to the chase, is GCC worth £24.99? The PEP looks stunning but idk if 20 odd miles is worth it. Thanks in advance

• Like Like x 4
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

A very good DLC. Quality is not in the length of the track :D

• Like Like x 6
  3. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

It’s very good! There are several different routes to take within this dlc so it’s not just the same run each time. Route quality and general ambiance has stepped up in this release especially Glasgow station which is very well done

• Like Like x 3
  4. Sheldon1000

Sheldon1000 Well-Known Member

In short yes.

• Like Like x 3
  5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Excellent route. "Only" 20 miles but many close-packed stations, and a network setup means multiple different routes (five just out of Glasgow Central). Very finished DLC, quite polished, the only significant gripe is night-time lighting (a basic TSW problem, not just this route).

I don't even like commuter rail, but I'm enjoying this one a lot.

• Like Like x 3
  6. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

To answer your question in one word: YES!

• Like Like x 2
  7. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Depends on what you compare it to. If you compare it to almost any other game software on the market, then of course not. Nowhere near £25. Maybe £5 for a route would be fair. But setting that aside for now......... if you compare Cathcart to all of the other TSW DLC, then yes - it's clearly one of the best DLCs that they have made.

It is one of the best even though there is just one train (some of the early TSW DLC had three.... including freight). This DLC should really have had two new trains. When you look at "route length", Cathcart is still one of the best - the "network" of five/six routes gives you far more value than an extra 20 miles of straight track, say, between Slough and Reading. Or almost all of Oakville...

The "Around and Around" scenario alone is well worth playing multiple times - I wish they could clone this into the timetable with the scenario available at different times, say 0600, 1200, 1500, 1800, 2100... in different weathers/seasons.... it's one of the best passenger driving experiences available in TSW, with a surprising amount of interaction with other traffic if you run to time....- maybe this is a sign of what Rush Hour will be like....

For me personally, when they have fixed the audio mix (raised it by 150% and toned down the windscreen wiper by -75%), and when they fix the front lights on the Class 314, and when they give the stations some lighting (GWE would be a good example of well lit stations... or even just TVL.....)..... then Cathcart will get about 100 hours of use from me. And that makes this DLC worth £25 to me (or the £22.50 I paid for it).

I strongly recommend purchase of this DLC - and I trust that DTG will quickly make the audio and lighting changes that are required to finish off the development of this DLC, as well as fixing the broken Supergirl passengers. Maybe they should have postponed the release until they had it all sorted....? ;-O
    -----------
    EDITED TO ADD: Following the Roadmap stream on 15th June, it appears that current DLCs like Cathcart might not be patched because of the focus on Rush Hour, and the potential for the DLC to be baked (as is) to UE 4.26. If that is the case, then I withdraw my recommendation to buy Cathcart Circle, because it might never ever be fixed (which nearly happened to the Class 31 DLC under TSW 2020, in the transition to TSW 2).

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  8. frank1116

frank1116 Well-Known Member

definitely NO, just because of superior reasons. New route - new problems - additional resorces for rework - less to no time to fix older problems. Correct me if i am wrong, but browsing the forum, there are many complaints about unfixed issues. Rework does not generate revenue, new DLC will do. Hope we will meet in the middle.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I'd advise to watch last night's roadmap stream where a lot of the "legacy fix issues" were addressed

• Like Like x 3
  10. Sheldon1000

The lighting is the only issue I have. The stations are too dark and the headlights do nothing. But on next gen it automatically lights up due to auto HDR or something. So on next gen it's fine once it kicks in. Although if I still had my PS4 Pro it would be rubbish. I'm on PS5.

The sound for me is fine. Yes a little quiet when the window is closed but nothing game breaking for me. I'm okay with it.

The flying passengers I haven't seen so no issue for me. The amount of passengers though is rubbish. Trains always empty but that's a core issue and hopefully will be addressed in the Summer update we are getting.

The scenery is amazing. And the loco is awesome too.

Overall its one of the best routes and it feels alive and different. I love it and it is worth buying as it is now and hopefully the core issues mentioned above will be fixed soon.

• Like Like x 4
  11. synthetic.angel

I have now amended my earlier post, in light of new information. Regrettably, I now have to withdraw my strong recommendation to purchase the Cathcart Circle DLC.

Following the Roadmap stream on 15th June, it appears that Cathcart Circle and the upcoming Cane Creek DLC are "TSW UE version transition DLCs".... and consequently, they might not ever receive a patch, whatever issues they might have.

We were advised that any DLCs that exist before Rush Hour releases need to be baked to UE 4.26 for them to work in Rush Hour, and that no "development" would now be applied to such DLCs, as re-baking patched versions would delay Rush Hour. So, in the rush to rush out Rush Hour, it looks like both Cathcart Circle and Cane Creek will get sacrificed, and any bugs or serious issues might just get left in these two DLCs for a very long time, or perhaps permanently.

Maybe someone from DTG might like to clarify exactly what their intentions are, with respect to providing support and any necessary patches for Cathcart Circle and Cane Creek... in the run up to Rush Hour, and after Rush Hour releases.... and in the run up to TSW 3, and after TSW 3 releases.....?

• Like Like x 1
  12. ARuscoe

Where are you getting this from...

The update to 4.26 isn't even part of Rush Hour specifically, but the annual update

I might suggest sitting down, breathing, get a drink of your preference and think about what statements you're making.

And TSW3 isn't even a pipedream yet

• Like Like x 3
  13. synthetic.angel

You. In this thread (maybe as just a hint), but especially here:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/roadmap-update-15th-june-2021.41582/page-3#post-328447

You are the one suggesting that from Tuesday's Roadmap that DTG has said that ALL development on current DLCs has been completely frozen until after UE 4.26 is released (along with Rush Hour).

I am actually not cynical enough to believe that - but since it has happened before, I am prepared to entertain the possibility that your cynicism is fully justified - so I am asking DTG to clarify the situation. You could (unfortunately) be right.

So - for now - I am defaulting to your interpretation, to test out what the reality actually is, and what DTG are prepared to commit to, and/or what DTG might be trying to absolve themselves from doing (say, fixing Cathcart's audio and train lighting).

• Like Like x 1
  14. ARuscoe

No, Adam said (and Natalie confirmed) that all DLC are being baked into UE4.26 and that any development of them will be on those versions.
    Go watch the stream (again)

• Like Like x 5
  15. synthetic.angel

Is it your belief, using your statement above, that "all DLC are being baked into UE4.26 and that any development of them will be on those versions" includes, from now, today or Tuesday 15th June:

- the currently unpatched Cathcart Circle DLC (with its audio and lighting issues); and/or,
    - the currently unreleased Cane Creek DLC.....?

The real question is, do we have to wait until UE 4.26 is rolled out before Cathcart gets patched, as this could be several months.....? (NB: I got the impression that DTG were very close to improving the lights on the Clas 314, and rolling that out pretty quickly, but that it didn't quite make the cut for the day of release).

The second question is, do we have to wait until UE 4.26 is rolled before any issues with the Cane Creek DLC get fixed (whatever they may be), assuming that Cane Creek gets released before UE 4.26....?

Because I think that context counts when you watch a Roadmap stream. And I think that Adam and Natalie were primarily referring to older DLCs that were worked on (in "Preservation"), and not the current just released version of Cathcart (necessarily) or Cane Creek (at all, for now.....), when they taliked about baking DLCs to the next version of UE. Cathcart and Cane Creek obviously have to undergo that process (as will all DLCs), when they are ready (and recent DLCs are reasonably patched to fix immediate problems), but Cathcart and Cane Creek would be at the end of the queue, surely.... so there will be time to patch them within the next three months.... surely....?

16. solicitr

Yes. Next?

• Like Like x 2
  17. ARuscoe

Yes we do. Adam said towards the beginning of the roadmap that "there are no more release dates available for patches" and then later on the whole "baked to 4.26" thing... So I wouldn't bet on ANYTHING update wise being out in the wild til late August

• Like Like x 2
  18. synthetic.angel

Okay........ In that case, that is very very very bad news...... because:

- Cathcart is in urgent need of a patch; and,
    - the chances that Cane Creek gets released without the need for a patch immediately afterwards are extremely poor.... especially since the chances that it gets tested on a PS4 DevKit are probably around zero.

And also... (and this is just my view/expectation/guess)..... I strongly suspect that UE 4.26 and Rush Hour won't be coming any time soon.... like very deep into September or October......

And I still seriously can't understand why they would have to hold back a necessary patch for the most recent DLC (Cathcart), or a future one (Cane Creek)....... It just doesn't make any sense to do this. They could just get their conversions later than all of the other DLCs, as part of a development pipeline.

So - in short people should now avoid buying both Cathcart Circle and Cane Creek until the end of the year, because there is a potentially extremely long hiatus in support for both of these titles, if you are correct. And in no circumstances should anyone pre-order Cane Creek - it's a complete gamble.

Maybe DTG could clarify and confirm what they intend to do in the next three months to support Cathcart Circle and Cane Creek, just in case you are being overly pessimistic.

• Like Like x 1
  19. solicitr

Define "urgent."

If poor night lighting were "urgent," Clinchfield would have been patched weeks ago.

20. ARuscoe

Cathcart needs a couple of tweaks, but nothing on the route stops you playing it
    Cane Creek may well need some fixing

BUT

In terms of timeframe we've been waiting on fixes for other routes far longer than the 9 or 10 weeks until the update

And I have zero doubt that the annual update will come out in August

21. synthetic.angel

Serious question - do you have any objection to TSW DLCs being patched and made to work properly, and be a pleasure to use, for those people that purchase the DLCs?

Or would you actually prefer the DLCs to remain broken and dismally disappointing to use, for as long as possible, and possibly permanently?

22. solicitr

False dichotomy. Please, I'm not going to fall for that.

The issue is "wait until August," for comprehensible technical and process reasons. But apparently you want your pet issue fixed RIGHT NOW, no matter how impractical that would be.

• Like Like x 2
  23. synthetic.angel

Not quite. I am approaching this issue from the perpective of attempting to establish the principle that is at work. And the principle that might be used moving forward, in terms of expectation management. It's the bigger picture that I am interested in, which is:

How does DTG intend to provide support for the DLCs that they make, and that others make under their name......? Will it become fire and forget.... like with the DLCs they make for TS2012.....? Released in a defective state, and never ever to be fixed.....?

DTG could easily recognise the massive problems with Cathcart Circle, and say something like:

"Yes, the Cathcart DLC has just been released, and these issues (that "slipped through the net, etc.") need to be fixed now and patched under UE 4.23, to bring the DLC up to a reasonable and stable standard, which is what you expect"......

or they could just clarify the position that others have assumed is the position, which is something like:

"We are very sorry that we released the Cathcart DLC very close to (within months of) our planned upgrade to UE 4.26. We do not plan to make any changes to the DLC, and if it makes #ScotRail look like a really bad Train Operating Company, then that is just what it is, and there's nothing that you or #ScotRail can do about it. We could have told you about our intention to lock in the defective release of Cathcart before we sold it,, but we thought this might reduce sales, so we decided to hold back that little nugget of info..... anyway - if you don't like the principle, then you don't have to buy Cane Creek, so there's a positive for you....."

But..... I will admit that I am keen to see the lighting on the Class 314 made more realistic, so that the train can be used in the dark. And part of my consternation arises from seeing DTG Natster state that they were looking into this issue (just before it released), but that it probably would not get improved for the release. Well, quite some time has passed.... so, yes I'd like to know when that particular fix is due to be patched, if at all.

Just a commitment to fix Cathcart, by a certain date, say sometime in 2022, would be sufficient to enable us to know where we (and future potential purchasers of Cathcart) stand.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  24. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

synthetic.angel, we had already discussed here in the forums that the lighting was very poor in CCL, so with all due respect, why buy it at full price? They already have their money now, what's the hurry to fix it?
    I finally learned that you shouldn't be impatient to buy DLC, because they always do the same thing: they release them and if you buy them you have to beg them to fix the things they have done wrong, when in fact it's their obligation. Plus all these things prevent you from fully enjoying it. No more of that for me, I will only buy rush hour at full price. With those three routes I'll be busy for months, then I can buy all the stuff that's been coming out lately at heavily discounted prices and also with the fixes they've had done to them. Unfortunately, I think that's the price they deserve to charge for their latest works.
    I'll make an exception for what TSG releases, because I know it's guaranteed quality and worth every penny.

• Like Like x 1
  25. solicitr

"Massive"????

• Like Like x 5
  26. solicitr

Entitled much?

• Like Like x 2
  27. Sheldon1000

A part from lighting, what other issues are there? I cannot see any issues other than the lighting issues and maybe the sound of the loco. So "massive issues" what are they?

• Like Like x 4
  28. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

If someone (or more than one) does not want to see what's wrong, there is nothing we can do about it. But their belief is no more justified than those who want things fixed. So please stop belittling the problems. It's your choice if you're satisfied with the DLC in its current state, but some others are not.
    Oh, and please don't even start repeating that no one has to buy it if they don't want to.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  29. sdc

sdc Member

This is what take from the Roadmap stream from the 15 June that all DLC will be baked in Unreal 4.26.for release in Summer 2021.
    The Unreal Engine 4.26 upgrade is for the core as well as all DLC released. I have to agree with ARuscoe on this.
    I also understand from the Roadmap stream that there is no more release dates available for patches. In my opinion that those patches may have already been baked into Unreal 4.26 versions of the route/loco so obviously they can't be released.
    Train Sim World 2: Rush Hour DLC and the Core Update comes out in Summer 2021 means in my opinion will come out in August 2021.
    All of the DTG developers are working on Rush Hour.

Thanks

Steven
    I have owned Train Sim World since it launched first time on console and now own Train Sim World 2. I have only just joined the forums this year.

• Like Like x 1
  30. synthetic.angel

Oooh , did I say "massive"....? Ah, it's probably the DTG hyperbolic marketing vernacular getting the better of me. I meant "countless"......... which is to say.... "four". Just leave it all as it is. "It'll do", as they say.

Anyway - I have decided to now just think about it all very positively, and as a result, I am sure that it will all be okay. I think that this is the most productive way forward. Positive waves Moriarty..... and then we'll get all of the gold....! (I still think that "Oddball" is Donald Sutherland's finest acting role - great beard too...!).

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  31. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

I’ll end up getting ASAP then, thanks all

• Like Like x 2
  32. kekanha#4892

kekanha#4892 Active Member

It depends, if you have all the routes it would be a shame not to buy this one, but routes with a single locomotive at the same price is unfair. Cathcart, Arosa, and Isle of Wriht are examples. They are expensive and short, if I started now I would not buy them.

• Like Like x 1
  33. thatleedsguy#8590

thatleedsguy#8590 Active Member

It depends.
    But talking about what you get with the DLC, itself:

One very nicely done train, the Class 314 with sounds by Armstrong Powerhouse so it sounds DIVINE.
    A nice number of scenarios and things to do in timetable mode.
    A well-done route which covers 20 miles in total, but it'll feel like more cos you're doing a lot of stop-start work.
    Overall, seems to be good quality.
    I didn't experience any issues with this DLC (at least from my experience on PS4)
    If you like passenger services, you'll love this one
    For £24.99, full price.

The negatives...
    Not much for trains you already have from other DLCs to do on GCC. Two things at the most.
    Glasgow Central is left feeling quite empty without other trains buzzing about.
    No six-car services in timetable mode. Only available if you do the relevant scenario or use scenario designer and pick the 6-car option.

So...is it worth it to you? To me, it seems to be fine. Lives up to what I expected.

• Like Like x 1
  34. philwest#7393

philwest#7393 Member

I look at value for money, I could buy a new movie from Disney or Apple which would give me up to 3 hours of entertainment for £20 or a DLC for £24, or less if I buy it in a sale, which would give 20 hours +. At the end of the day it’s about choice.