Train Simulator 2020: Metro North Harlem Line

Discussion in 'Content Developer's Area' started by NEC Railfan, Mar 22, 2020.

1. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

This is the main thread for my project of building the Harlem Line all the way to Wassiac, I am already at Bronxville in track and plan to catch up in scenery. (3/21/20)

Era:
    This route is set in the present, so the new third track is included.

Summary:
    The Metro North Harlem Line is a commuter rail line that extends 82 miles from Grand Central Terminal in New York City, to Wassaic NY. The line is electrified with 600V under-running third rail from NYC to Southeast Station in Brewster, from Southeast to Wassaic is diesel territory.

Rolling Stock:
    The line uses M3A and M7A EMU cars, built in 1983 and 2004 respectively. The line also uses GE P32AC-DM daul-mode passenger locomotives and Shoreliner Coaches for trains straight to Wassaic.

Requirements:
    This route uses all official payware, however, it will not be in the steam workshop, since I am creating custom signs for each station on the route. 20200319142641_1.jpg
    - NEC: New York - New Haven
    - North Jersey Coast Line (without Morristown).
    - Academy Assets (included with base game).
    - Hudson Line: New York - Croton Harmon
    These are the most necessary as track and infrastructure depends on these three.

- NEC: New York - Philadelphia
    - Donner Pass
    - Peninsula Corridor: San Francisco - San Jose
    - My Harlem Line Station Signs Package (will come with route).
    Not as necessary, but still recommended.

The route will be released in phases, as follows:
    Release 1: Skeleton form to White Plains
    Release 2: Skeleton form from White Plains to Southeast, full detail to White Plains.
    Release 3: Full detail to Southeast
    At this point it would be considered a full release.
    Extension to Wassaic
    Release 4: Skeleton to Wassaic.
    Release 5: Full detail to Wassaic.

I can't wait to get this done, and show this to the community.
    20200317185058_1.jpg
    20200318113510_1.jpg
    These images are a tad bit dated, but show Fleetwood station, my first of many to come scratch-built stations.

2. NortheastBoi

NortheastBoi New Member

any update???

3. NEC Railfan

Yes, I've made it to white plains, but I have it on hold as I'm upgrading my computer specs.

4. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Awesome

5. mattanatior97

mattanatior97 Member

Keep my updated on this I would like to run trains on it

6. nsilano

nsilano New Member

Any Update?

7. NEC Railfan

Unfortunately no, since there's another group working on a Harlem Line, I've ceased work on this one.

8. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Who’s doing the Harlem line?

9. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I also wonder if DTG plans on releasing the Harlem line, as we currently only have the official Hudson and New Haven Lines in Train Simulator, only missing the Harlem line now

10. NEC Railfan

I could see a New York - North White Plains route being made, with the usual reused Metro North P32, Shoreliner IIIs (perhaps even IIs, Morristown did surprise us with that Comet IV cabcar), and M7As. But with a new model to take the spotlight (like the M7A did on the Hudson), an M3A. DTG can just redo the LIRR M3 to Metro North M3A spec, like what was done for the Hudson line with the M7.

DTG has everything they need, they just need to get to work.

• Like Like x 1
  11. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

Agreed, it would definitely be great if they make it up to Wassaic but I can definitely see it being created to Southeast as the Hudson and New Haven Lines officially ended at the last electrified portion of the line

It would also be great to see LIRR featured in Train Simulator. Since Woodside is featured in the New Haven and Hudson Line DLC's, I wonder if there were originally plans to implement the LIRR into Train Simulator.

12. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Voltage is 750v DC Third Rail Bottom Contact since the 1970s due to the M1 trainsets being ordered. 1983 M3 ordered for North White Plains Southeast electrification project. M7A 10 car train can't run Southeast service due to substation issues use M7A 8 car trains to southeast Brewster

13. NEC Railfan

Yeah back then I had confused myself with the pre-Metropolitan configuration, which was 600V DC from Grand Central - NWP in 1906.
    - The M1As arrived on the scene in the 70s and needed more than 600V to run well, so the line was upgraded to 750V, along with other improvements, such as new high platforms (Metropolitans can't use low platforms).
    - The electrification from North White Plains to Southeast (then called Brewster) was completed in 1984 at 650-750V, and new M3As were ordered to supplement the electrification project, as well as continue to retire more New York Central Heavyweights (around since the beginning in 1906), and 4500-series ACMUs (retired after 15 short but rough years, which were beyond redeeming).
    - Now the line is all 750V with some lower voltage areas where the substations can't take a lot.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

Out of the blue here, but who is working on the Harlem Line now? I saw that NEC Railfan stopped but I'm really interested in seeing the Harlem Line made.

15. NEC Railfan

Honestly, I'm not sure anymore, I had seen screenshots from someone who was supposedly making North White Plains but haven't seen any of that since. Not to mention I'm a bit sunken in LIRR right now.