Scenario Designer Wishlist

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Task, Jul 15, 2021.

?
  1. Arrival and Departure Times

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. Portals

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Custom Paths

22 vote(s)
    43.1%
  4. Consist Editor

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  5. Working Destination Boards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Weather

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  7. Import Services from Service Mode

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. Task

Task Well-Known Member

After Scenario Designer 2.0 was added to the Roadmap here is my wishlist about the things that should be changed. Feel free to post your suggestions and extend on mine.

These four points are most important (in a descending order) for me to make way better scenarios:
    1. Arrival and Departure Times: I would like to add specific arrival and departure times for every stop of every train in the scenario. This way I can let an AI train wait somewhere to overtake it and the player train can driver after a timetable that's hard to keep. Of course the 5 minute steps would have to be changed to at least one minute (better 30 seconds or even less) steps for this. I would also really like to input the times with my keyboard.
    2. Portals: Let us use all the portals for AI trains. Amongst others this would allow us to set an AI train on in front of the player train without blocking the last platform. But it would also enable some AI only paths (that wouldn't make sense for player trains) like leaving the last station on the route (for example Köln Hbf). Of course this would work way better with my next suggestion.
    3. Paths: Let us at least create our own paths that would then be chooseable after creating. Better would be when we could just choose points from the map and the rest would be automatically determined. We could then set waypoints (like platforms, signals or track parts) for intermediate stops or if the auto path isn't exactly like we want it.
    4. Consist / Formation Editor: There isn't really much to add about that, I think the title speaks about itself. But currently there are only formations available with rail vehicles of the same add on, mixing isn't possible. This would of course be resolved with a consist editor. But in some cases the pre defined consists also just aren't what we need. For example a freight train with 20 wagons: Maybe we only need 17 so it fits on the one marker we want to start at. Those are just two examples what a consist editor would benefit to the game.

Now onto some cool additions I personally don't see as must have but would of course still like to see rather sooner than later:
    • On-Train Destination Boards: Currently (with newer trains) the train would show the last stop in the scenario as the destination. First of all this completely ignores things like service / line numbers which would be a nice thing to be able to set. But what if our scenario only represents a part of the journey that service drives on? It's likely (especially with the rather short routes in TSW) that the train has a completely different destination. It would be nice if we could set that too. (For service mode the correct term would be off map destinations).
    • In addition to the suggestion above it would be good if the platform destination boards would also work with the scenario designer. Of course with all the things I mentioned for the on-train destination boards working too (especially destinations off the map).
    • Weather: Please let us select the weather for a scenario. Best case there wouldn't only be presets from service mode but some more in depth settings for the weather. Another thing that would play into this would be a selectable date for the scenario (that of course influences the weather).
    • Import AI trains from service mode: How cool would it be if we could just hit a button and populate our scenarios with all the trains that are already in service mode, this way we could make some easy scenarios very quickly. Of course it would be necessary that we can edit (and delete) those services after importing.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 14
  2. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I think the most needed feature is a way to easily share the scenarios with other players. I'm sure people can make wonderful creations, but it's all pretty pointless if it can't be easily shared.

• Like Like x 2
  3. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

what I Mainly want is to plop a Train where ever I want it would make it easier to make Sand Box Scenarios

• Like Like x 2
  4. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Definitely the consist editor. But acutally all your points are very well!

5. grob-e

grob-e Well-Known Member

Well, everything above would be nice, things like changing weather is so basic, that I'm somehow puzzled that it is missing in the current version...^^

Two things that I would add to the above would be:
    Being able to set a global start time, so, when the player train starts at for example at xx:05, you still have the possibility to let an AI train start at xx:00.

The second thing would be some kind of timetable editor, or at least the chance to give the AI trains multiple instructions like for example
    Start at xx:00 at Köln-Hansaring
    Stop at xx;02 at Köln HBF Pl. 10
    go to the portal at xx:04
    come back from the portal at xx:07
    Stop at Köln Hbf Pl. 11 at xx:08
    Start journey to Düren at xx:10

• Like Like x 1
  6. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Some great suggestions here. Personally, I chose portals as it creates the opportunity to add more AI traffic, plus make the route feel alive like that in service mode.

However, other priorities for me include custom paths so we can use all platforms/track in the routes, importing services from timetable mode seems a good idea (although would they add to the maximum 20 custom services that a player can add originally?), increase the max 20 services when/if memory use permits, and finally weather; we only get about 5/6 hours of proper night time with only spring/summer seasons playable.

Also agreed above about having multiple instructions for AI traffic, would be useful, especially at terminus stations allowing them to go in and out, and thus letting the player finish a service without getting a permanent red signal at the end.

Actually, one other suggestion I propose is some kind of conflict warning when creating a scenario. For example, we never know if an AI service will get stuck, or if the player put the wrong time in for an AI train to depart. For instance, I was playing Southeastern High Speed recently when after 45 mins I got just outside Faversham to find out the train in front was stuck at a red signal due to a platform it was meant to arrive at was already occupied. I also wish that when creating a scenario that selecting a time should be faster, takes ages to scroll to say 10pm etc.

7. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

This would be really cool but it would be great if this part would be automated if players want

8. DavidY

DavidY New Member

I'm going to quote myself from a similar thread a few months back.

It was pointed out that JSON is more popular than XML these days for this sort of thing, but the important thing is that both file formats are text-based. This means they are relatively easy to read/ understand, but also you can use something like Excel to author and organise your mega-timetable and then (with a little coding perhaps) export it using a text-based format into a file which the game could read in. (And of course you could share with someone else.)

• Like Like x 1
  9. seanpward

seanpward Active Member

I recon it would be good if you could reuse trains like in timetable mode and to have a option to go into free play mode so you can watch trains move in and out...would also love a button to click if you don't want to drive the train any more...just a few suggestions