Glasgow North West Dlc

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by john17, Jul 4, 2021.

1. john17

john17 New Member

I bought this dlc last night as it covers an areea where i grew up.. but all i get is a black screen or flickering screen on the rare occasion it does fire up... i have tried to play it in both 32 and 64bit but the samething happens no matter what i do... i can hear the sounds in the game but the screen is black or flickers on occasionally making it impossible to play... any help appreciated... i am using a bang & olufsen omen laptop with core i7 & geforece RTX

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Does you Laptop meet the minimum requirements for the game?
    Recommended for 32-bit:
    • OS: 32- or 64-bit Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 8.1 or 10 Required (Other OS versions and types are not supported)
    • Processor: Intel Core-i5 4690 3.50 GHz Quad Core or AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.80 GHz Quad Core or Better
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM (maximum possible under 32-bit Windows)/16 GB or Better (For 64-bit Windows)
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon RX 480 with 4 GB Dedicated VRAM or Better
    • DirectX®: 9.0c
    • Network: Broadband Connection (May incur additional costs for use)
    • Storage: High Performance SSD Recommended with 40 GB or more available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Audio Device

3. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Is it just this route or TS as a whole?

4. john17

john17 New Member

it also occurs on the TS routes

5. john17

john17 New Member

i run windows 10 64-bit processor intel core- i7 nvidia geforce rtx and GB space i have 379 available

6. john17

john17 New Member

also did an uninstall and reinstalled it... it ran slightly better i got to 3 stations through the flickering picture then it went black so i would spad lol

7. JJTimothy

You mean that TS as a whole hasn't worked since you added the new route?

It's not clear to me from this but I read this as this is all you see from start up. No loading screen, no menus- just hit play, choose 32 or 64 bit then Pffft. If so...

Something may have corrupted the PlayerProfile file in your RailWorks directory which stores the way you've chosen to set things up on your system. If corrupted it can stop TS from working at all or do screwy things like this and although it can be broken by user error, if you try setting TS to run in a screen resolution your hardware can't cope with for example, it can also break all by itself for no doubt excellent reasons.

Find the file and rename it (to PlayerProfileOld or something that will keep it easy to find again if this doesn't work) then try starting TS again. It won't be able to find a PlayerProfile and should just make a new one based on defaults and your overall system settings so if this works you will have to go back into the settings and change things to the way you like them.

8. JJTimothy

Oh- update.
    You don't mention RAM here or in your OP but all else seems well and I gather that TS ran satisfactorily until recently.

When you uninstalled TS did you just tell Steam to uninstall it because that doesn't remove everything. If you do this again follow up by deleting the Railworks folder using File Manager- then a subsequent reinstall will be completely fresh.

9. john17

john17 New Member

i did uninstall from my add/remove on laptop... then reinstalled it...i have just tried playing it on 64-bit and the isle of wight route works fine as it did when i played it before.. just seems to be the DLC glasgow north west that gives me problems

10. JJTimothy

So you can get started. Unlikely to be the PlayerProfile then- when that goes wrong it usually screws everything up (though trying what I suggested above shouldn't do any harm).

Glasgow NW is a fairly new DLC so perhaps it's more demanding of your system. The spec's you've mentioned do sound OK but what about RAM? That said if TS was running out of memory I'd expect it to just crash out.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

12. john17

john17 New Member

16GB DDR4-2933 SDRAM 2X8GB NVIDIA GEFORCERTX 2080 SUPER* 8GB GDDR6 HARDDRIVE 512GBPCle NVMeM2SSD 1TB7200rpm SATA

13. john17

john17 New Member

Doing the brighton to clapham junc route all works fine except a few flickers until coming into clapha junc then screen goes totally black and ONCE AGAIN i fail the mission...fkin getting well peed off with this...one thing i am sure about i will NEVER buy another DTG...this s*** you have sold me is not fit for purpose!!

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If it is not fit for purpose why does it work on other peoples machines?

Did you bother checking your page file as I suggested?

15. john17

john17 New Member

yes i did, and done what it said on video "how to manage your page file"

16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Normally the game slows down in busy areas because of the amount of work it is doing.
    Try reducing the Scenery Quality and the View Distance
    Graphics 2 - 20 Jun 21.jpg

And check what else you have ticked
    Graphics 3 - 20 Jun 21.jpg

Peter

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

Your CPU might be an i7, but what's its clock speed?

18. john17

john17 New Member

Hiya, i have done reductions and went by picture you posted...runs a little better but still get the occasional flicker and screen blacks out when i am coming into station...which is the frustrating part :)

19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You can also tweak the Nvidia Control panel settings
    Peter Hayes might be able to help

20. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

To help with NVCP settings I would need the Monitor type, size, resolution, and refresh rate, plus which i7 processor do you have.
    Start by following this:
    Fix for when you think that you have corrupted your Monitor Resolution Settings or Have different resolution settings in MS Windows NATIVE/default resolution settings to those in TS 2020.
    LCD/LED Monitors work best at their NATIVE resolution.
    Find yours from the manufacturer of your monitor. https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/14216/windows-7-getting-best-display-on-your-monitor
    Close TS and Steam and navigate to
    \STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Content and delete/rename the playerprofiles.bin file.
    Restart Steam and then TS 2020 allowing the latter to rebuild the graphics/monitor settings file.
    If this works and TS 2020 opens, then reset your graphics/monitor settings within TS 2020.
    Keep the resolution in TS2020 the same as the default windows setting.
    NB: Verifying the Integrity of Game files will not FIX this and if you have NO WINDOWS error message neither will altering the Paging File.

21. john17

john17 New Member

HIYA, monitor is 17-inch laptop 1680 x 1050 refresh rate is 144.03Hz processor intel core i7 10th gen 10750H CPU @ 2.60 GHz 64bit op system x64- based processor

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Sorry, my guides were for desktop PC's so may not work on a laptop. I think that there were some graphics settings posted here but I can't remember when. Mine are on UKTS - File Id's 38190 and 38238 - they may give some general idea.

23. JJTimothy

A corrupt PlayerProfile.bin file can screw up a laptop just as effectively as it can a desktop. (Hence my comment a couple of weeks ago...)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

Unfortunately, according to TS specs that CPU speed is a little low:

Both Min and recommended clock speed (for 32-bit) is a 3.5 GHz CPU. I assume 64-bit would like a little more? Not sure.

As an aside, part of my fps issues with Tehachapi and other areas is my CPU bottle neck at 3.06GHz according to the reply I received for a ticket. I've not tried overclocking it...yet..

25. JJTimothy

Speaking as someone who started running TS on a 1.7GHz i3 laptop (a few years ago and acknowledging that new routes are more demanding) that CPU seems quite adequate.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Rather interesting of the information you gave earlier non of these mentioned you were using a Laptop

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  27. john17

john17 New Member

still as bad as ever... i guess the dlc is just unplayable for me

28. john17

john17 New Member

i also play football manager from steam and since doing all the fiddling to try and get the dlc to work the crowds at the football games has vanished LOL... or maybe they have gotten realistic and added a covid crowd scene lol

29. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

I think it's slightly unfair to blame the product, as everyone else seems to be using it just fine. It IS fit for purpose for everyone else. I understand your frustration, I really do, but clearly there is an issue with your system that prevents TS from running as it should.

So it's not just Train Simulator misbehaving then, so let's check a few things... perhaps after you have apologised to DTG for calling it poo and not fit for purpose ;)

Are you using the latest drivers for your GPU?

It appears you are on a laptop. They can run very hot while gaming. Have you checked your temps, specifically your GPU temperature? Download HWInfo64 to monitor these things.

First though... check you have the latest video drivers.

The fact that you still hear the game, and it's just the screen going black suggests a GPU or display issue, so I'd say that Peter Hayes's suggestions further up are also well worth checking.

You say your screen's refresh rate is 144hz. I'd try lowering it in NVidia control panel and check if you still have the problem. Lower it to 60Hz and try again. If this solves the problem, then perhaps it is a fault with the screen just not quite managing to hit 144hz.

Also try limiting your frame rate in NVidia control panel specifically for Railworks64.exe Your screen resolution is very low and a RTX2080 (even the crippled mobile version) will easily deliver high frame rates. Try capping them to 30fps. You don't need more than that for Train Simulator. However, the fact that the screen keeps going black but the game continues to run, would suggest it is not crashing at all; my money is on your screen struggling with the refresh rate, or perhaps an incorrect resolution - see PH's post regarding running at native resolution... but I reckon it's a refresh rate issue.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Is the screen totally black when it happens? Is there anything on the display at all?