After The Madness Of The 2021 Core Update Failure What Have We All Actually Learned?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by shhweeet#4292, Aug 31, 2021.

1. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

Well, if you don't like the haptics, there are other PS5 specific features that would be good, such as trophy tracking and the like.

• Like Like x 1
  2. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Before I go can I ask the moderators to firstly lock this thread or better still deleted it. It’s my thread and I started it with the best of intentions. It hasn’t ended up as I intended it to and as usual I’m made out to be the bad guy so as the thread starter I’d like to request it’s deletion. If players want to discuss what was meant to be it’s subject then they should start their own fresh one.

Better for everyone me thinks.

Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Yes, clicking a button and hoping for the best doesn't seem the best option. The PS and MS stores are out of their control so it's a more problematic area than Steam. I'm not sure how the new Epic works.

(Haptics would be great for trigger resistance, notches even. I'm not sure I'd want a constant rumble. A bit of feedback over points wouldn't be a bad thing for immersion though.)

• Like Like x 2
  4. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Member

[removed by Protagonist - argumentative]

Back to topic, this game and the recent update have me considering getting a PS5, just for this game alone. If the PS5 handles it better and has less issues, then why not?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. ace

ace Member

Programming is extremely tough. I learned years ago that I didn’t have the patience so I would just buy what I want. I support the developers by buying what I can because they make something that I love: trains. I’m not just letting them off the hook for this. When things go wrong it’s easy to let out your anger and frustration I definitely understand that. But I love trains and planes and cars and it’s not always easy to get thing those sim games right. Sim gamers know their stuff so messing something up gets swift push back from the community. I don’t know if it’s Sony’s fault or Dovetails or a combination of both but it will eventually get fixed. In the mean time play the routes that you have installed and hopefully a fix will arrive soon. I understand the communities frustration as I too am sitting on at least 6 DLC’s that won’t install.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ady.hewitt

ady.hewitt Member

Hmmm ok,

understand that there is little if any testing done on the PS4.

this is evidenced by the upgrade mess , and also by the following post upgrade

1) when adjusting weather etc you cannot see what you are adjusting , how can this be missed ?
    2) on the new pause screen the average speed of your journey makes an effort to start then gives up totally , once again how was this missed ?

im sure there are more

7. ferriso2001

ferriso2001 New Member

We have also learned that the looping sound issue hasn't, on the most part, gone away. Very sad really, it doesn't get the attention it most definitely deserves. I find it so intrusive that I don't bother with TSW2 much anymore. This update brought me back to see if it has been cured... alas not. DTG seem unwilling or unable to fix it (with the BR Blue loco's).

• Like Like x 1
  8. aarontheloner

aarontheloner Active Member

[removed by Protagonist - unhelpful]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2021
  9. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

10. aarontheloner

aarontheloner Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  11. Observadorpt

Observadorpt Active Member

Dont buy a ps5? you think people will buy a ps5 only to play Tsw2??? There are more games to play in exchange of the ps4 core fiasco.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Good idea. The haptic feedback on the PS5 is very impressive and seeing games not using it does disappoint me a lot, since it has so much potential.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. Railfan1985

Railfan1985 Well-Known Member

That DTG have a lot to learn when it comes to communication, oh and theres no such thing as QA testing. That theres a few very toxic individuals on here. Not blaming the mods, they have the patience of a saint! That the mods of this forum are thrown under the bus when DTG screw up.

• Like Like x 1
  15. sistros

sistros Member

hi Railfan1985 :)

I think what people want is better communication, that's all and reassurances that things are still being looked into. From missing DLC to problems with crashes from the DLC people currently have, from what I can see they haven't addressed the crashes/scenery missing at all.

I don't expect any fixes to happen in a day. But some assurances they are least aware of issues would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Railfan1985

My thoughts exactly, only you put it so much better! :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The update mess was caused by file consistency issues, so could have been at a few separate points. Having not done that on PS Store I can't comment on the technicalities of it or HOW DTG or Sony could have tested it beforehand, but I'm sure the process was followed as stringently on PS4 as it was on PS5 (which worked), Xbox (which worked after a fashion), Steam (which worked) and Epic (which was done beforehand)
    So I am erring on the side of "mess ups happen, and it just happens that it happened to the PS4 crowd). It's unfortunate that it happened on the most difficult of the store systems! Had it been on steam it would have been a three file fix

18. SAMiV

SAMiV New Member

I have learned that Sony engineers are slow doing their job...
    sony-facepalm.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  19. universal.chris

universal.chris Active Member

I have learned that when I'm missing 80% of my DLC I can still have fun with the 20% I do have.
    I have learned that I still have fun playing FS19.
    I have learned that some TSW fans are really intense, all the lawsuit threats and questioning why the media hasn't picked up on the story of a small developer for a niche game having a glitchy update that they are working to fix.
    It's been interesting.

• Like Like x 4
  20. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

I haven't learned anything. All it's done is highlight what I already knew.

This is actually a really useful / interesting thread...and something I sincerely hope DTG take note of.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  21. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I'm coming late into this conversation, but I was lucky enough to get a PS5 in the midst of the update fiasco so jumped straight in to the PS5 version and, despite having a few games in my Library from previous PS Plus months, TSW is pretty much all I've used since I got it. Even jumping from 4K on a PS4 Pro, the whole experience is just slicker and smoother on the PS5. I'd certainly agree with never buying any DLC at release and always wait for sales and bug-fixes, but if you have the means to get on a PS5, I reckon you should absolutely jump at it.

No, I think this would be a good thing. It wouldn't need to be a constant, injury-inducing rumble, but the subtlety of feedback the DualSense controller is capable of is mind-blowing. If you haven't already done so, try and have a go on the controller demo within the Astrobot game; there's a bit where it actually feels like there's stuff sloshing around inside the controller when you move it. It's really taken things to a whole new level and using even a fraction of that in TSW would be great. Something as simple as being able to feel the click-clack of rolling over points would add hugely to the immersion of the game.

• Like Like x 4
  22. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Me! Me! Me!

• Like Like x 2
  23. ARuscoe

Agreed for clunking of controls or feedback for alerts, but track vibration would be annoying and if constant... what I said before

• Like Like x 2
  24. Railfan1985

what is that supposed to mean?

25. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I'm going to chip in with my experience of the update, not as a PS User, as an Xbox user (I'm a neutral, used to play PS, before TSW but it counts, right :))

Anyway,
    - Route DLCs
    On Xbox One I had similar issues with the porting of DLCs to those on PS4, I had to uninstall my entire game, and then reinstall it and the DLC. That took...
    A while.

Luckily I had the option of a workaround, but, as I have 'observed' this section of the forums I can imagine how frustrating this is for you lot, and thankfully Sony & DTG managed to get a fix live.

- Update in General
    The Update (after the above issue) was quite good for me, I'm really enjoying the new PIS on East Coastway, it feels more complete now. The Off-Map stops also really add to it.

Sadly, the PIS is now very blurred on Bakerloo (not that I play it too much) and Cathcart.

On the plus-side (BKL this is), the Shard & Wembley (yes, I put a 314 in front of it, what else did one expect) are now back for us, a plus having landmarks around.

- Thoughts
    I believe this Update always had a strong chance of going wrong.

Unlike the TSW2 Release, this is upgrading the engine in an update, rather than an entirely new game.
    As well as that, it required all DLCs to be upgraded, alongside a huge list of improvements.

So that was quite likely looking back.

Do buy DLC that you want, when you want.

Everyone needs to remember that DTG are playing a massive balancing act.

Here's an example:
    "We want longer routes" = More Cost in Development
    More Cost in Development = Higher Prices
    Higher Prices = Less (Full price) Purchases
    Less Purchases = Loss OR Reduced Prices to drive up sales, causing smaller routes.

And Repeat.

The reason these routes are the price they are is simple; They have to be.

They have to be to cover costs and pay the people who make them.

We can see this with Rush hour;
    Three ~50-mile routes being developed at once, and, as they overshot the intended development window, had to increase the prices, stagger (so delay, really) the releases & make cuts.

Anyway.

- Next Gen
    From what i've seen of Next Gen it really looks brilliant. Not only with the new shadows & the better textures, but it all round looks better than Last Gen at the moment.

• Like Like x 3
  26. ace

ace Member

I’ve learned I still love trains even when issues pop up. I just used the M3 on a Long Island timetable of 51 minutes. Pulling into the last station it wouldn’t register me opening the door and closing them (letting passengers out) to end the timetable. I tried to finish it several times but nope. I still had fun and I’ll just play another route. TSW is a living product that constantly changes and evolves. Sometimes issues arise but usually they always work hard to fix and improve the game.

• Like Like x 1
  27. damien_khaos

damien_khaos Member

What have i learned? After all my dlc still are not working.... don't ever buy anything else from dtg.

28. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

The question should be what have DTG learned from this and what are they doing to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

• Like Like x 1
  29. ARuscoe

Given there have been fixes posted and refixes undertaken in the last week I presume you've followed those instructions rather than just uninstalling / reinstalling everything, and you've submitted a ticket to DTG with the details of what you've done?

• Like Like x 1
  30. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

Let's hope Sony have learned from this and will make sure it never happens again.

31. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

Hi, I seem to remember a loco, pretty sure on LIRR where you had to have the brake on at least 5 I think it was before you could open or close the doors. I could be wrong but something like that I think. I haven't played LIRR much but after getting the M3 back yesterday I gave it a run and remembered how much I liked it when I did play it way back.